“My Honeymoon was great!!!!”
Review of Half Moon

Half Moon
Ranked #3 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
el paso
“My Honeymoon was great!!!!”
Reviewed 18 May 2007

My husband and I went to jamaica for our honeymoon, it was awesome! The half moon hotel was so luxurious, the staff was very very nice. I had read some reviews saying the hotel was dirty and the staff was rude, but that's a lie. I even forgot my locks at home, so I had to leave my luggage without any protection, but I was happily surprised that nothing was stolen from my bags. I strongly recommend the hotel,
and will come back

I suggest, while in Jamaica, rent a car. There are so many beautiful places to visit, that are not that far from the hotel, like Ocho Rios
(1.5 hrs), Negril (45 minutes), etc. It's worth it!

P.S. There is a Hard Rock Cafe in Ocho Rios : )

• Liked — room view
  • Disliked — food too expensive
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank laperlis

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (662)
Ipswich, Suffolk UK
Reviewed 17 May 2007

We have just returned from Jamaica after staying at the Half Moon Hotel for two weeks with my Wife and Son aged 3.

If you have a young son like mine there is always something for them to do and also plenty of other children to play and meet on the main beach.

The resort was so well laid out, relaxing and accomodating we didn't actually leave the resort for the whole two weeks apart from going to the Sugar Mill restaurant by bus !!

When we arrived they upgraded us to a Royal Suite instead of the Junior Suite which we had booked and I can honestly say the room was by far the best I have ever stayed in. I travel the world on business and always stay in four star plus hotels where possible but the location & layout of these suites are the best. The Suite patio doors were no more than 30 feet from the waters edge where you can watch the sunset every night.

Don't worry about security as the whole resort is patrolled night and day with security guards.

The staff are always very friendly and at the same time professional in every way.

The food was superb at all the restaurants offering A La Carte Menus every night regardless of what meal plan you have which is a first for me to experience. Normally when you book Half Board or All Inclusive you have a miserable looking buffet to choose from for the whole two weeks but not here it was fantastic!

The pool, tennis centre & gym facilities were all very well maintained and with all the latest equipment necessary for a good workout. The Olympic size swimming pool was superb for my training also.

Coming from a country where we do not tip as often as we probably should, the staff deserve to be tipped because they are so friendly and helpful. Perhaps if the staff in the hotels in the UK are as friendly as they are here they would be rewarded more often.

If cost is naturally of a concern to you don't worry as you most certainly get what you pay for here and some.

You will never forget a holiday like we had!

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Going Home!
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled with family
4 Thank RSJB
Ellicott City, MD
Reviewed 14 May 2007

My husband won a 4-night vacation and we stayed at Half Moon with 25 other couples who also won. Although it was a "business" trip, you would have never known. Beginning from the 1st night, when we attended a cocktail hour and heavy hor d'ouvre reception at The Pavilion, to the last night, which was a sit down dinner at Sugar Mill, we had an utterly fantastic time. Our rooms were in the Hibiscus suites. We were pleasantly surprised to have 2 rooms, one on the 2nd floor & a sitting room with kitchenette on the 1st, both right on the ocean. After using the a/c one night, we decided to open all our windows & the ocean breeze was perfect for sleeping. The staff was so courteous and seemed to anticipate our every need. The shabby chic condition of our suite was charming, and we had no complaints, despite it's age. We were more than pleased with our dining experiences, especially at the Seagrape. Akbar had good Thai, Il Giardino was average & The Sugar Mill was outstanding. The frozen drinks were all hand-blended, which made them better tasting than the frozen drink machines used so many other places. We were on the Platinum Plan.

• Liked — Being right on the ocean, the beautiful landscaping, and the wonderful Jamaican food
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled on business
4 Thank PM24
champion, Investor at Half Moon, responded to this review, 17 May 2007
Thank you for the kind words and we're glad you enjoyed the trip. Are you sure you were housed in the Hibiscus Suites and not the Oleandar Suites? Your description of the two story accommodations with an upstairs and downstairs access is appropriate for the Oleandar Suites. On the other hand, the Hibiscus Suites were built 3 years ago and while they are two stories in their construction, none of the Hibiscus Suites connect vertically. It's easy to be confused on your first trip given teh number of room types and accommodations we offer. Hopefully, you'll have a chance to visit again. Thank you.
st. louis
Reviewed 4 May 2007

my husband and I recently returned from a short trip to half moon. We had a wonderful time.
We were upgraded to suite in the west cottages. We had a pool outback that we shared w/ another suite, a living room, bedroom and dressing area. The only very slight negative was the bathroom which was a bit outdated, otherwise a great room. The location of our room was fabulous!! Steps from sunset beach, which was the nicest at the resort in my opinion (not many rocks and swimable). We could see the beach/ocean from our living room but not the bedroom, no complaints.
We were on the good life package- GREAT VALUE!! We easily would have spent 500 a day on food, drinks, etc. The package included all food, drinks and a massage(one of the best I have ever had!). It also included room service and our mini bar!! We had breakfast in the room and at Seagrape. Both were very good. We had lunch at La Baquette and at Seagrape. Again, both were good. Don't bother w/ the pizza at La Baquette, everything else we had was fine. We had one dinner a piece at Suger Mill, the Italian restaurant (I forget the name), and at Seagrape. All the dinners were very good, I'd say excellent given we were doing an all-inclusive package, however, if we were actually paying what they charged I don't think I'd feel exactly the same. The dinners easily added up to 200 a piece, and again while they were great for an all inclusive I don't think they were on par w/ that type of pricing. Again, we did the package so we were happy. The drinks were also excellent, both the frozen ones during the day and the wine w/ dinner.
Only negatives I can think of-
1. The main pool- The pool was tucked behind rooms w/ no veiw of the ocean or the beach. If your at the pool there is no indication you are at a beach resort. Pool itself nothing really special, though it does have a swim up bar. We spent our time at the beach, which was nice. It is not the beach and water you'll get at Negril, but the water was still nice enough to float around in. Also, for a short trip when you don't want to waste time traveling to Negril it can't be beat. Plus, we liked the hotel much better than the hotels we have been to in Negril.
2. Drinks and snacks during the day- Drink service on the beach was not quick, nor was it often. The bar was by the lobby so the walk for drinks during the day could be long depending on where you were parked on the beach. There was no snack service other than the lunch places, no beach grill. To get food you had to go to one of the restaurants. Also, the beach bar didn't serve any food only drinks.

The service we recieved was the best of any hotel we have been to in Jamaica. We had a great time and loved our short trip.

• Liked — perfect for a romantic, relaxing getaway!!
  • Disliked — not much
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
6 Thank suntripper
Westchester County, New York
Reviewed 2 May 2007

My boyfriend and I just got back from the Half Moon and we had a very relaxing vacation. The staff at the Half Moon always went above and beyond service and the people of jamaica are the friendliest around. The resort is a little old school, but that is part of its charm. They are remodeling the spa which is needed since the current spa and gym are outdated and not up to par. The have a nice selection of resturants and the food was good, but I can't say it's the best I've ever had. Our suite was right on the ocean, which most of them are, and the view was beautiful, but the sand was very rocky. We didn't go in the ocean by our room b/c it's filled with plant life and coral so we had to go down to the beach closer to the main hall. I would recommend the Half Moon to anyone and as for my boyfriend and I we will be back to visit, but next time will try Negril where the beaches are nicer.

• Liked — the staff
  • Disliked — the spa
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank aprilchristine
Georgia
Reviewed 1 May 2007

We just returned from our trip to Half Moon Resort & Spa in Montego Bay, Jamaica the week of April 18th - 23rd; and we had a fabulous time! Having done plenty of research and reading all the message boards before leaving - I knew that this would be a great vacation...but this resort actually exceeded our expectations!

My sister (from Fla.) and I (in Ga.) each have birthdays in April and like to use this week to spend quality time together. We both used Air Jamaica, but out of different airports. I arrived at the resort at noon and checked in, however our room was still being prepared...so I sat at the Seagrape Terrace Bar (overlooking Sunset Beach) and sampled their Pina Coladas while taking in the tropical sights, sounds & sun. My room was ready by 2 o'clock, and I was escorted there by the bell captain (giving me a short tour along the way). We stayed in the Oleander Terrace suites on the east end of the property. Each building has 8 suites (2 on each side) and come complete with their own kitchen and large outdoor patio. My sister arrived at the resort at 6:00 EST/5:00 JT (Jamaican Time). After unpacking, we decided to walk around the resort to see what all there was to offer and just use room service for dinner that evening. The room service menu has a large selection and we were not disappointed! Over the next week, we used room service almost on a daily basis. Even though the resort was full, we only waited for more than 30 minutes once. The food and beverages were always delicious.

During the following days, we had the opportunity to dine at the Seagrape Terrace (located at the main Lobby on the ocean-side) and La Baguette Bar & Grill (located at the Oleander Terrace on the ocean next to our suite) - reservations are requested but not required. The food was fabulous, with huge proportions. We also went to the Sugar Mill Restaurant and the beach barbeque (reservations only), where the food was equally as good. No matter where you went, the frozen concoctions were delicious!

There is so much to do while staying there at the Half Moon, that you really don't need to leave the resort to have a good time. Since we have enjoyed Jamaica several times already, we took a sightseeing & shopping tour of MoBay which included going to Margaritaville, but opted to stay on resort property the rest of our stay. We had our own stretch of beach next to the dolphin enclosure where we enjoyed watching the dolphins as they performed. From our vantage point, we could even watch the horses swimming in the ocean at Sunrise Beach! Half Moon has it's own shopping/medical center...as well as tennis courts, miniature golf (not putt-putt golf, this is a real mini golf course!), 3 championship golf courses, helicopter rides, glass-bottom boat, kayaking, paddle boats, sailing, para-sailing, shuffleboard & volleyball area, cricket...you name it!! Bicycles are provided to all guests, but golf carts can be rented for $45 daily (guests staying in the villas are provided with carts at no charge).

This resort is situated on over 400 acres, with approx. 2 miles of beach. The 2 main beaches are Sunset Beach (on the western end, next to the Lobby area) and Sunrise Beach (on the eastern end, closest to the Villas). The area in between these beaches is rocky in spots; not ideal for swimming, but fine for wading and sun-bathing. The grounds are meticulously maintained and in full bloom this time of the year. There are over 50 pools at this resort...most of them are private for occupants of the Villas or the Cottages. The free-form pool and the lap pool are centrally located at the Hibiscus Suites, each having ample chaises for you to enjoy.

There was a well-balanced blend of nationalities and ages at the resort while we were there, which we were told was at full capacity. I don't believe I have ever seen so many well behaved children in one place at a time in my life!! (There is a huge children's village/play area to keep them busy) This is also an ideal setting for weddings!! There was an average of 5 wedding performed almost daily while we were there!!! The weather cooperated, as we experienced rain only on the day that we left! Even on the seemingly over-cast days, the sun would make an appearance in all it's magnificent glory! We couldn't have asked for anything more!

Overall, I would say that this resort is for the discerning traveler who expects privacy, refined elegance and personal attention. (Remember that you are in Jamaica...5 star here may be closer to 4 star where you live.) Travelers who don't like having to "dress for dinner", or are expecting a party atmosphere and hearing "Hot, Hot, Hot" or "One Love" 20 times a day might be a little disappointed ..... but we weren't!

• Liked — large, clean & comfortable rooms are centally located
  • Disliked — lack of privacy on our patio
  • Stayed April 2007
5 Thank CaribbeanKim
Summit, New Jersey
Reviewed 25 April 2007

My husband and I are from NYC and we were very nervous planning a destination wedding for ourselves and 50 guests. However, our wedding was AMAZING and the staff at Half Moon could not be nicer. Our wedding group occupied 4 villas and we had our rehearsal dinner on the pool deck of villa 58, which ended up to be wonderful. I highly suggest booking that particular villa for catered events because of the large pool area. Our wedding ceremony and reception was at the Royal Pavillion - which was a perfect setting for us. We were thrilled from the first second we stepped on the property to the moment we left.

The resort is 50 years old, but they are doing a great job keeping it upadated. We noticed that they seem to spread out the renovations - so some guest rooms in the main hotel are much nicer than others. The villas are awesome for large groups - but the accomodations are not 5 star - keep that in mind. I would definitely say 4 star, though. Things like - normal size tub instead of a large one, two twin beds pushed together to make a king size, not enough power outlets, etc. HOWEVER - the service in the villas is unmatched to any other resort I have ever been to. Beyond 5 star quality with the villa service.

After the wedding, my husband and I moved into one of the Hibiscus Junior Suites which was beautiful. The accomodations in that room were top notch, but the service was very slow. (We needed to get the mini bar key which took them 5 phone calls over 8 hours to get it to us!)

The food for the catered events was superb. No complaints there. However, food at the restaurants was ok. The italian restaurant was mediocre - not worth it. Seagrape was good. Truthfully, we found that the more casual the food choice, the better it was. We actually enjoyed the room service food, la baguette, and the food at the beach bar more than the food at the pricey-er restaurants!! (Also, the pulled pork sandwich at the beach bar near seagrape was awesome.)

Being from NYC, we are very picky - and - we were very happy at Half Moon. We would definitely return for a future vacation.

• Liked — beautiful grounds, amazing villa staff, does not have a crowded feel
  • Disliked — food in most restaurants overpriced, some rooms not totally updated
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled on business