“Can't wait to return to the Half Moon” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Half Moon

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Half Moon
Ranked #2 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
Solihull, West Midlands
“Can't wait to return to the Half Moon”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2007

We loved the Half Moon and can't wait to return. We stayed in a Royal Villa on the Good Life Plan, which was expensive but well worth the money. The room was superb, it was fantasically positioned. We couldn't fault a thing. The service and food were second to none. Everything was complimentary (including the minibar) and we were treated like royalty. The swedish massage was a really lovely experience.

We moved to a different hotel for our second week and got a bit of a shock, we wanted to go back. The Half Moon is one, if not the best hotel in Montego Bay.

• Stayed June 2007, travelled on business
3 Thank l_r_trick

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (649)
Orlando
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2007

My husband and I stayed at Half Moon for our honeymoon. We married in Grand Cayman and we flew directly to Montego Bay. We were slightly worried that Half Moon would not live up to the wonderful time we had in Grand Cayman. We had nothing to worry about! We loved it......the property, the food and most of all the friendly, hospitable service. Paul was our favorite bartender, he mainly works evenings at the Cedar Bar. The bartenders at the swim-up pool bar are great too. Our favorite restaurant was the Sugar Mill and I highly recommend ordering room service. The Good Life Package is the best value for your money if you enjoy cocktails and do not play golf. I highly recommend the Pina Colada....you will never get one this good anywhere else. Our couples massage was fantastic.

I am a well-traveled person. I have been to Greece, Australia and Hawaii 3 times....but Half Moon is my favorite place to vacation. We can't wait to go back for our 1 year anniversary.

• Liked — our room, staff service, variety of restaurants
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
4 Thank HoneymoonersOrlando
Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2007

I recently had my wedding there in early June. The resort is beautiful very top notch. We had a wedding party for about 20 people and rented 2 villas with oceanview.

I highly recommend the villas. They come complete with a cook, butler and housekeeping. THEY ARE GREAT AND VERY FRIENDLY! . However without the meal package meals can be expensive on the resort but if you rent a villa the butler goes to the commissary every morning and gets all the food to prepare the meals for the day which is no more than your regular grocery store prices. So every morning at 7:30 the cook had eggs, bacon, juice and fresh coffee waiting. IT WAS WONDERFUL. If you are getting oceanview villa be aware that that does not have a beach. it is very rocky and not good for swimming. You would need to go to the main lobby area to swim and have a good beach. But the oceanview is great because you do get a breeze that is very much needed in early June.

Moving on to the resort the service was first class. They will not let you lift a finger and are very accomodating to even go out of their way for you.

With the service being great we were very surprised at the service of the wedding coordinator. Our coordinator was the most unresponsive person ever! We could not get ahold of the coordinator for invoices, preparation via calling and email. I choose a destination wedding for the no frills, ease and less stress. When i arrived on Tuesday for a Friday afternoon wedding we still could not get ahold of the planner. Once we found each other she let me know that the location had changed from a lilly pond gazebo to a ocean gazebo. We had this location confirmed and paid for since December. I am not a picky bride but once i saw the new location it is only for about a wedding party of 10. We had 20+ and a reagge band. We all would not fit and guests would be standing down the pier through the ceremony. I tried to get ahold of the planner the next day to let her know that it would not work and she was off. we then went to the "romance manager" and let her know that the location would not work and the original gazebo needs to happen. SHE WAS GREAT AND SAID NO PROBLEM! If you are looking online a pictures of the lilly pond gazebo then beware! The landscaping was very overgrown. All the greanery around the gazebo must be 5 feet high. All they did was cut the grass where they place the chairs. Wedding day came and we needed to have my husband and i checked into the hibisucs suites for our wedding night. We called the coordinator and she told my MOH to tell me to go to the front desk and check in. My MOH said that i was already in my dress and the coordinator said sorry but that is how we do it. My MOH call the Bellhop and let them know. Bellhop said place teir packed bags in the villa and he would be there in 15 minutes and will go ahead and check us into our suite and place our bags there. I had my hair and makeup done in the shopping village where they send all their brides. June is HOT! My MOH called the coordinator and asked if they could shuttle us in A/C to the salon and she said they cant have shuttles at the villas and we would have to walk. 1/2 mile to 1 mile with hair and makeup done. We then called the bellhop and they said they would be there in 5 minutes. Those GUYS ARE AWESOME! BAR STAFF IS AWESOME! WAIT AND VILLA STAFF AWESOME! Coordinator, i do not know what happened a very "no" person.

• Liked — Staff , Vilas
  • Disliked — Coordinator
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with family
3 Thank Taylor D
USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2007

We had high hopes for our trip to Half Moon. We researched a several different resorts and ultimately chose Half Moon due to the high number of positive reviews, the variety of dining options and activities available at the resort, and the availability of an on-the-beach suite. Unfortunately, we were fairly disappointed.

Our arrival at Half Moon went well -- we were ushered into a private check-in room and offered some rum punch. Great way to start the trip! And the gentleman who checked us in was quite courteous. Unfortunately, we was the nicest person we encountered during our stay. Next, we were shown to our beach front room...only to find that the view of the beach was blocked by a fairly high wall of plants/sea grass. So while the beach and the ocean were less than 12 ft from our room, we couldn't actually see them. That wouldn't have been such a big deal except that we specifically requested an ocean view and asked the reservation agent if you could step out of the room onto the sand and she said yes, which was not the case at all.

Speaking of sand, the beaches at Half Moon were pretty rocky. I have traveled to a lot of Caribbean islands and know that there is great variety in the type and quality of beaches, but for a 5 star resort, I expected more. The nice part about the beaches was that they were fairly secluded. Each set of villas on the property had its own beach, separated from the others by rock walls. Not great if you wanted to take a stroll on the beach, but wonderful for privacy. A few mornings, we were the only people on our stretch of beach!

In terms of beach activities, you can rent snorkel equipment, paddle boats, kayaks, sailboats, etc. They definitely had a wide range of choices, which was great. We tried snorkeling one day but the equipment was in terrible condition (both the masks and the snorkels leaked) and the ocean bottom in front of the hotel was covered in a slimy sea grass with not much sea life. Not optimal.

The other resort activites we participated in were the spa, golf and swimming with the resident dolphins. The spa was quite small and outdated, but they are building a brand new facility to be opened later this year. The golf course was wonderful and our caddy was very knowledgable -- definitely the highlight of the trip. The dolphin lagoon is also a great benefit to those staying at Half Moon, as I believe it's only available to guests. The rest of the time, we sat by the pool, enjoying fruity drinks. The swim up bar was a great touch. My only complaint with the pools is that they didn't clean them often enough -- they were always full of bugs and leaves. Which suprises me b/c Half Moon had the highest staff:guest ratio I've ever seen!

My two biggest disappointments with the resort were the food and the service. There are only a handful of options available for dinner -- 2 on the immediate resort property, 1 on the golf course and 2 in the shopping village. We tried all of them and didn't have a single great meal. They were ok, but again, for a 5 star resort, I expected more.

Lunch and breakfasts were ok, but we quickly learned to order room service and enjoy dining on our patio rather than deal with the numerous flies on the Sea Grape terrace.

All in all, we paid a lot of money for a so-so vacation. While the pools were nice and we did get to enjoy some great golf and some good beach time, but the facilities, the food, and the service were not on par with other 5 star resorts. Beware before opening your wallet!

• Liked — The updated bathrooms
  • Disliked — Everything else!
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
7 Thank halcyon3
Rego Park, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2007

I stayed at Half Moon as part of a wedding party. We stayed in a couple of the Royal Villas. The cool part about the villas is that each is assigned with a butler, cook, and housekeeper that work each day of your stay. The staff in our villa was absolutely fanatstic! In addition, each villa has a private pool and 2 golf carts. And you will make use of those golf carts - to get just about anywhere on the resort from the villas requires a golf cart. If both carts were out we resorted to walking along the road and hitching a ride with a passing cart.
When traveling with a group, communication is crucial. Several guests (including the bride and groom) did not have voicemail working in their rooms. Slightly problematic.
On the planning side, the planner was totally uncommunicative which led to several frantic calls the week before begging for invoices, estimates, etc. Each time I spoke to the planner was due to my repeated calls not because she ever called me back or emailed me back. The poor bride was scared about how the wedding would turn out.
As far as my accomodations in the villa, maybe I was just the lucky one to get the sparcest decorated room in the villa with a lovely trail of ants at my door. The villa itself was well-kept but clearly needed to be freshened (new coat of paint, etc.)
Where Half Moon really came through was in the execution of the event. Despite all the mania of the planning process, the wedding went off smoothly and perfectly. Rain caused some last minute changes yet the ceremony and reception were seemless. All the flowers were beautiful and the musicians/dj were fantastic. Meals were elegantly presented. And we saw why the planner has no time to call you back - she stayed with the bride practically from the beginning to the end of the evening. The wedding and reception were absolutely gorgeous affairs and isn't that what really matters in the end?

• Liked — the staff's attentive service
  • Disliked — ants, peeling paint
  • Stayed May 2007
4 Thank SweetDiva
Abingdon, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2007

This was the third time that we have stayed at the Half Moon and it gets better every time. We had friends that joined us this time and we really wanted them to have a good experience, but when we were upgraded from an junior suite to an imperial suite needless to say we were very happy. The rooms were large, beautiful and right on the water. The staff was there for our every need. The food was good. We had a great time and hope to go back to the "Moon" many times.

• Liked — Beautiful rooms
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled with friends
4 Thank VickieSharp
Weston, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2007

Stayed here with young son and husband in early Dec (right before high season). Had a very nice time. Paid about $700/nt for Hibiscus suite and meal plan (which you need to get as restaurants are very expensive). I just tried to book for next December and the rate is now $1000 per night for the same time and room (note this is only a one room suite) - Don't know about the other reviewers here, but $1000 a day plus, as children are extra, is a bit too steep for me! Very dissapointed Half Moon.. need to now find another resort.

• Liked — Room/location on beach
  • Disliked — Cost... and mediocre quality of very expensive food.
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled with family
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
#4 of 6 in Rose Hall
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,263 reviews

Been to Half Moon? Share your experiences!