“Wedding at Half Moon” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
Washington, DC
“Wedding at Half Moon”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2007

We got married at Half Moon on Sept.3. Half Moon is a wonderful facility - our room was always perfect, amenities were fabulous. There are a few things to remember when staying at the Half Moon:
ROOM - The main lobby has two restaurants - Seagrape and Italian. If you go left past the restaurants, you get to the West Cottages (10 is closest, 1 is farthest away). Our friends were in Cottage 7 room 54, which was fine. It had an incredible view and ceiling and new minibar, but had an old air conditioner and bathroom was dated. If you go right out of the lobby, you have the Hibiscus Suites. I think they start at 13/113. We were in 18 (top floor - ground floor rooms are 3 digits). That was right across from the lap pool and just past the hibiscus pool with the swim up bar. Our location was perfect, air conditioner worked well, balcony with a ceiling fan, dinette set, and chaise lounges. We did have a light in the bathroom that was out and the minibar was older, but I loved the room (under sink shelves! Huge closets! a seperate bathtub with a moveable shower nozzle! - what can I say, I'm a sucker for bathrooms) The beach outside the West cottages is better than outside the Hibiscus - you can't really swim out in Hibiscus. But if you are a bookworm who likes to go up to your waist every once in a while, the Hibiscus beach is perfect.

WEDDING - Luck was with us for our wedding - it turned out fine. But we did panic a bit - the election date changed to the 3rd and we found out the day before that no alcohol could be served. The wedding coordinator kept trying to call my cell phone while we were staying at the resort too - which was annoying. Finally, the location changed at the last minute because the ocean gazebo flooded in the high tide. We ended up on the beach and it was lovely. We had Saab Photography and the wedding photos actually make me look thin and pretty - so it was a miricle of sorts.

ACTIVITIES - Definately go snokeling. There is a coral reef out by the Ritz that the Dive Shop will take you to - which was my favorite thing. We also went horseback riding. They use English hunt seat (and mounting blocks). The horses are well cared for - box stalls, the works. My horse, Sam, stumbled right at the end of the ride and he was immediately looked at and treated for the stone. The beach BBQ was fun - there is a show with fire limbo there. The dolphin swim was . . . well, one of the dolphins liked me a little too much for comfort. I don't think it was worth the cost (something like $200 for an hour and a half swim), especially since there are other activities that I found more enjoyable. Be aware that by sunset beach (West Cottages) there is some coral where there are sea snakes in easy reach of land - so be careful about letting kids in the water past the seaweed.

ROOM SERVICE - My advice is NOT to pre-order breakfast the night before. Instead, when you wake up, call room service right away and order - you'll have 30-45 minutes to get up before they get there. The large coffee pot holds 6-7 cups and stays warm for at least two hours. I'm not a danish fan, so I asked them not to put them in the pastry basket - then we got muffins instead.

MINIBAR - If you leave a note asking for something (i.e., no regular pepsi) the mini-bar people obliged us - and remembered too.

BUGS - Bring bug spray and benedryl cream. I get bitten all the time in the states and Jamaica was no different - think summer New Orleans mosquitos and plan accordingly.

ATTIRE - Formal attire (no jeans, long pants and collared shirt for men, no flip-flop/beach sandals) is for dinner. You can wear what you want for the other meals.

TAX/TIP - If you are on the Platinum Plan (I recommend it), then you are only charged tax/gratuity on the total room rate, not on what is consumed. So you don't have to worry about tracking the receipts you get. For tipping, we tipped the maids, room service, minibar, bellmen, and some bartenders. We also tipped the waiters when we were served food, but not the buffet-style meals (including the BBQ).

All in all, we are definately going to go back. We wanted complete relaxation.

• Liked — The service - especially housekeeping
  • Disliked — The wedding coordinator (Suan) but Andrea and Tracy were fine
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Hepburn_Lover

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (649)
Solihull
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2007

We arrived at Half Moon 15th August 2007 - just in time to get settled in before Hurricane Dean hit. What a wonderful place. All the staff with very very few exceptions, were wanting to please. We had a 5-star evacuation to keep us safe during the hurricane and even the staff were more concerned about helping us, whilst they had their own homes to think about. Sports enthusiasts will love it. Usually one is ready to come home after a 2 week vacation, but we still had too much to do. However, if you just want to relax you can and you can do it in private. No crowds, no noise, long beach walks, watch your own dolphins, sip your cocktails etc. My partner and son played golf and even played on the other 2 nearby courses. My younger son loved the sea (32 degrees). Yes, I understand there are better beaches but you won't get 2 miles of it anywhere else in Jamaica. Yes, it's a big resort, but you can hire a golf buggy and let's face it, there are enough high rise hotels for people who like it all in close confinement. It's a perfect family holiday place, but also perfect for romantics.
Only one complaint is that the food is good, but not excellent and there isn't a bar with that uptempo caribbean feel in the evenings, just for a bit of low-key fun. A bit toooo quiet in the evenings but you make your own fun. Difficult to beat it....

• Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank Pennyqss
Asheboro, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2007

My husband and I stayed at Half Moon in Montego Bay for four days in August 2007. From the wonderful check-in lounge at the airport in Montego Bay to the exceptional Bell Desk at the resort, the Half Moon staff is very friendly, courteous, and aims to please. If you want a wonderfully relaxing vacation, there is no reason to rent a car as you can get transfers to/from the airport and then there are complimentary golf carts that will shuttle you around the expansive 400-acre property, which has everything you need for an exceptional time, including oceanfront beach, shopping, restaurants, a medical center, golf, a children's area, and a plethora of activities. I would definitely recommend purchasing one of the meal plans to include with your stay; it will be worth the money. Room service is available at no extra charge! Their new spa will be opening this year and should be phenomenal! Definitely recommend Half Moon!

• Liked — Junior Suite Cottage
  • Disliked — Lot of walking in extreme heat and humidity
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
4 Thank rgodreigns
Charleston, WV
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2007

Half Moon continues to exceed my expectations. My May, 2007 visit was my 10th in as many years. It is my #1 travel destination and I love my time there. The resort has invested millions to upgrade it on many levels. There is not a bad room in the house, as all have been upgraded, some old rooms replaced with shining and lovely new ones. I am eagerly awaiting the opening of the new and very fabulous spa, FernTree, later this autumn. The staff has always been great, but the bar has been set even higher by new management, and the employees are rising to the challenge.

Half Moon is especially nice for families or individuals (I've only visited with children in tow once), with lots of activities, yet options to do little.

The accomodations are unique and wonderful.

I highly recommend the all-inclusive plans, as you will quickly recognize their value. There is plenty of variety in the restaurant choices, including Thai, Italian, Caribbean, Indian, all of which are very good.

Half Moon is excellent for traveling with friends, as the resort makes it very easy to "account" for your expenses. The all-inclusive is especially nice for this, as you need not worry about allocating bills amongst travelers.

I am looking forward to celebrating my 50th birthday there in Nov. with 70 friends. The resort has been fabulous in helping me plan for this group.

For the discerning traveler, Half Moon is a perfect choice.

• Liked — Elegance
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled solo
7 Thank Halfmooner
usa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2007

My husband and I stayed at the "Halfmoon resort " in 2005 and we have returned every year. The resort, the service, and the food
all exceeded our expectations!
not to mention the weather, and the views off our ocean front room while we enjoyed our breakfast where expectacular!

Please don't miss swimming with the dolphins as well as the horses, no kidding! the horses take you out about a mile + into
the ocean, it is an experience you won't soon forget!

We are going back Thanksgiving weekend we can't wait!

• Liked — beautifully decorated room ,very comfortable and very clean.
  • Disliked — there was nothing we did not like.
  • Stayed September 2005, travelled as a couple
5 Thank myhoneyandI
UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2007

We booked the Half Moon having seen many fantastic reviews in various travel magazines. Disappointment set in as soon as we arrived. Dragging our own cases to the bus from the airport lounge was not a good omen. The hotel is too spread out and you need a cart or bike to get around. Food was very mediocre and whilst some staff were very pleasant - others failed to live up to the Half Moon claims. Hibiscus Pool was full of debris and beach was a scattered mess of low quality chairs. The whole feeling was one of complacency and little concern for our issues which were well voiced. Would encourage you to look elsewhere - the Ritz Carlton and Royal Plantation are worth investigation.

• Liked — The sea
  • Disliked — Service
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled on business
7 Thank Scrabbleuk
New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2007

I have been coming to Jamaica since 1988, but had never stayed at the Half Moon.
I had always heard great things, so it had a lot to live up to! Out of 5, I would give it 3½ stars. The décor and layout are amazing. The bell staff was attentive and professional. The concierge and VIP sign-in were top notch. The activities such as swimming with the dolphins and horseback riding were great. The food and bar were also top notch, offering a lot of variety. Now with the cons, the staff needs more training. The management, VIP host and concierge were ok, but regular staff needs to be told to refrain from talking in patois infront of customers, especially when they are talking about other customers or relaying unsavory details about their personal lives! They should assume that the person standing within earshot of them, whether they be black, white, asian…just might understand what they are saying! Also, room service need to be more pleasant and not act like they are being tortured or have an attitude when you ask for simple requests like a “bucket of ice” since there are no ice machines on premises!

Stayed July 2007
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
#4 of 6 in Rose Hall
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,276 reviews

Been to Half Moon? Share your experiences!