“Perfect Family Vacation”

Ranked #18 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Brampton, Canada
“Perfect Family Vacation”
Reviewed 3 June 2011

-Arrived at Resort, lined up in a short line to check-in, one of the staff members came over with a tray of ice filled glasses of fruit punch for those in line to cool off with a yeah-mon and a smile.. (Nice touch felt welcomed right off the bat)
Check-in was smooth, got our wristbands for the all inclusive, room not ready as we arrived at 12:30pm and check-in is 3pm, "no problem" the staff put our suitcases along a watched area wall, we pulled out some swim gear and suntan lotion, changed in the lobby restrooms and headed off to the pool, swam until 4:30pm went back to the front desk and room was ready.

-Room: Was just right for 3 adults and 1 child, a little tight, but hey how much time are you really in your room? Room was spotless clean, 42 inch LCD flat screen with DTV satellite, Ice box with spare cups,tea and coffee along with a small kettle. Closet with hangars and 1 dresser, iron and iron board in closet, safety box with key and lock provided upon check-in. Bathroom standard with sink, tub and shower, Balcony nice size (ocean-view room on 8th floor building A we had was breath taking view and amazing sunsets).

-Resort grounds: 4 pools, 1-water park theme with 2 fun water slides, lazy river, a lifeguard on duty from 10am when the slides are turned on until they close at 6pm he sits right beside the exit of the slides monitoring every kid or adult that comes down into the water. Both my kids loved this pool the most, the wife and I loved it too, deck chairs and large umbrellas to be had everywhere....The other pools were 2 separated swim up bar pools and 1- volleyball pool, again lots of chairs and umbrellas to be had. The beach was broken off into different areas, all with shaded huts or tree lines for a break from the sun when needed, again lots of chairs to be had. Bring water shoes for the beach as the shore was a bit rocky. Snorkeling gear is available on the beach, lots of reefs to explore right on your beach, fish to see everywhere other water activity's also available, There were 3 bars accessible from the beach and the pools one was at the far end of the beach in a hut.
Also on the grounds were a putt-putt course, over sized chess and checkers, full indoor gym for those that wanted to workout, no working out for us, but the equipment looked very new and great layout. Tennis courts were at the front of the resort.
One little store for snacks and drinks, also had suntan lotion, Tylenol etc... Beside that there was a gift shop with some nice shirts, hats. crafts etc...
The buffet area was very large with lots of seating, 3 other restaurants that had to be booked included Italian(good food), Asian and Jamaican. **Dinner attire
There were 3 main bars open at different times of the day and night pending where the entertainment was that night. There was also a little room with a few slot machines (that we went to twice at night and won a few bucks) there was also a pool table.

-Food: Buffet breakfasts were amazing, fruit, cereal, omelet and eggs station made to anyway you like them, pancakes & french toast made fresh by the batch at another station, sausage, bacon, hash-browns,
scrambled eggs, Jamaican specialties. Toast, bagels, cream cheese, tons of pastries, morning cakes etc.. Orange juice, pineapple juice, fruit punch,coffee tea.. Let me add that there was also a coffee machine that made cappuccinos, lattes and more... The lattes were good.....started every morning at 7am with one of those..
Buffet lunches, were again really good, fresh made sandwiches, wraps, burgers, lots of salads, fresh fruits, pastries, sweets and cakes etc...
Buffet dinners, mixed selections to choose from, (if I give this resort a 98% grade the 2% was lost because of this) the food was really good for dinners, but the kids just don't have the acquired taste for a lot of the evening offered food, though there was a special area for kids meals, my little girl on a few nights Jamaican food nights) didn't want spaghetti and meat sauce or pasta and fries etc... it wasn't that big of a deal as she ate plenty throughout the day, but that would be where some non- spicy burgers or hotdogs or even cold sandwiches for the kids would have come in handy. But here's how great this resort was, one of the chiefs had seen my wife struggling with my daughter for something to eat, he left his station fired up the grill and made her a grilled cheese and fries.. "Respect" For the most part there was always chicken in really good sauces,beef, pork, (jerk style) variety of rices, vegetables, salads, breads, amazing deserts, for my wife, son and I the dinners were really good.
Snack Area, was open at 10am closed again at dinner time and re-opened at 10pm until 1am serving burgers, hotdogs, grilled cheese, jerk chicken, nachos and the best fries I've ever had. There was a soft ice cream machine vanilla and chocolate and a soft drink machine for pops and cold water also...

-Service: All the Sunset Resort staff were really nice, polite and friendly. we know it said "no tipping" but we just had to shoot a few bucks here and there for those that went out of their way for us, or just were doing their job and making us feel welcome.
Maids were fantastic, each day our room was spotless, the little things that jumped out were my daughters stuffed dog always propped up on pillows of the made bed... We always noted the little things.....:)

-Entrainment : Each night the bands were really good, lots of variety, reggae, calypso, steel band, limbo etc.. Fun and games all day, crab races, the daily board by the entrance to the buffet gave you the line-up from 8am until 10pm..

-Tour Desk : Right in the resort, very helpful, book anything to do in Jamaica right there..

-Photographers: The Resort have staff walking around taking pictures of families and couples day and night with props etc.., then you could go to the photo hut and pick out pictures you liked to purchase. We bought few too many but the slots my wife won on paid for those ;)...

All in all, fantastic Caribbean holiday in Jamaica, Sunset Beach in Montego Bay won't disappoint you!

-Highlights:
*Get an oceanview room, the sunsets and view of the mountains were pure tranquility and second to none
*The Water slide/Lazy river pool was perfect for the kids and us, we were there everyday.

I took the time to post this review for two reasons, one, for those like us that were going in circles where to stay in Jamaica and two because this was the family resort I thought it would be....

Booking a vacation can be a tough thing to do, especially when you have never been to the destination and the confusion and frustration sets in...... We recommend this resort for families.

Thank You Sunset Beach Mo-bay Jamaica for a vacation to remember.....

Room Tip: Try to get a room in tower A the view is beutiful
15 Thank IainM67

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,433)
  • Polish first
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 1 June 2011

from the previous reviews that i had read, i was expecting some sort of nightmare experience but boy was i wrong.....

i was a little upset after Air Jamaica delayed our flight for 11 hours...because we missed an entire day in Jamaica, but when we finally arrived to the resort at around 10pm. check in was a breeze...we got drinks delivered to us and that was the start of something good...i was disappointed when they gave us a room in the west wing...because all the reviews said that tower A was the best...but when we got into the room, which was right in front of the water park....i realized that we had a breathtaking ocean view from the balcony...the room was quiet, clean and comfortable....the only time we heard noise from the kiddie pool was when we were in the bathroom...but laying in your bed, you can't hear anything...i have no idea what people were complaining about....yes there was a tube television in the room, but who cares....do you go to jamaica to sit in the room and watch tv? who needs tv when you have gorgeous sunsets to watch...and you can listen to the sound of the waves crashing against the shore...the sunsets were spectacular that i had to take video and upload it to youtube

now the food was good....so many choices...the restaurants were very good...i enjoyed the asian and italian restaurants very much...who knew you could get sushi in jamaica? even the bread and crushed olive and olive oil dip in the italian restaurant was superb....i couldn't stop eating it....the buffet had some great food as well...the night they had the BBQ was even better i loved how they made the pasta sauces right in front of you and you can pick what you wanted to go into it...they had soda machines all over, the waitstaff was there to constantly fill your glass as soon as it got empty, and there are bars everywhere...you never had to go thirsty or hungry...i took a thermal cup, to keep filled all day long...even the ice cream from the ice cream machine was tasty...my only complaint was that i didn't care for the burgers at the grill...but it's jamaica, burgers are an american thing....so it doesn't have to be perfect...but they did dress it up nice with lettuce, tomatoes, onions and pickles...

the staff was VERY FRIENDLY, i don't know what may have caused other travelers to get rude treatment, but the treatment me and my partner received was nothing less than wonderful...we were ALWAYS greeted with smiles, and if we walked past a staff member, they always said "good morning" "good afternoon" or "good evening"....they were eager to assist with whatever inquiries or concerns we had...the door that led to our balcony had a loose screw and when the housekeeper saw that, she immediately called maintenance to try to get someone fix it....when she came back the next day and and saw that it wasn't done, she called them again and made a stink about it....funny thing is...we never complained about it...the loose screw bothered the housekeeper more than it bothered us.....

the layout and grounds of the resort was nice and it was very well kept....the beaches and pools were never over crowded...i don't know if it was the time we went....but we were there from May 21-28th..but there were always beach chairs available...at night the pools were open....and i don't like to be in crowded pools, so i was able to take my dip in the pool at night and feel very comfortable....i was there during the NBA conference finals, and they had a little sports bar that was lively some nights when the games were on....they had pool tables and a piano...and one night they had a dj come in and play some music and there was lots of dancing and it was just as fun as being at Margaritaville on a Thursday night...

i don't know if the experience would be different for a family with children than it would be for a couple, but i went as a couple and i had a marvelous time and i would definitely return...my thoughts would be, to not go on any major american holiday, when others are more likely to travel...that way you can avoid the huge crowds of people with bad attitudes....because i would presume that it would be difficult for the staff to cater to large masses of people you can't satisfy no matter how hard you try

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank blacklily74
Reviewed 30 May 2011

My 9 year old son had the time of his life here. The most memorable was thanks to Keno in the watersports center for the Hobie Cat ride! Find Keno, great ride, great attitude, he will make sure you are having fun.
Thanks Keno,
John & John

• Stayed May 2011
2 Thank JDJN
New York City, New York
Reviewed 27 May 2011

Family and I went for my birthday/vacation. This was our 5th time to Sunset and it was a wonderful vacation. Some reviews pick on things that are not under management control. The food in the buffet changed daily. Breakfast time there was Tracy's omelet station. Lunch had a sandwich maker. Dinner usually had a pasta station and carving station. They have three reservation restaurants. Italian was awesome with plenty on the menu. The carribean was tops. The chinese had sushi. My 9 year old was brought behind the chef counter and was taught to make his own roll (thank You). Treat the bartenders with respect and you will get smiles and refills. Garcia was always a smiling face. Check-in took about fifteen minutes which was pretty quick coming from New York where I have waited three times that. We went for a good time and a relaxing vacation and that is exactly what we got!

Room Tip: Tower A all the way
5 Thank rolokime
england
Reviewed 25 May 2011

I have just returned from the Sunset Beach resort, the hotel was fantastic! For a 3* hotel we were really impressed with the resort overall. The food in all the restaurants was very good; the buffet restaurant offered a great choice of food, there was always a huge selection to choose from. The Italian and the Asian restaurant were also lovely, again with a great choice of food. The staff at the hotel were all friendly and accommodating. The rooms were traditional Caribbean real and were clean and offered everything you need, although you won’t be spending much time in the room as there is so much to do and see in the resort.

The beaches was really lovely too, there are 3 different beaches to choose from and we were really impressed with how nice the beaches were. We went snorkeling and saw such amazing fish of all colours and sizes.

The hotel is set out really well, the areas for children is at the other side of the resort, so the choice is yours if you want to be in the busier or quieter part of the resort. It offers fantastic facilities for children of all ages and they loved the water park area and kept themselves away from the other parts of the resort so you could relax with a cocktail if you wanted too! I would recommend trying this hotel as it’s a fantastic great value hotel and you won’t be disappointed!

Room Tip: Oceanview room for lovely views
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank foodlover5000
Ocala, Florida
Reviewed 24 May 2011

This was not my first time in Montego Bay and I did read the reviews on Sunset Beach Resort in Montego Bay before making my reservations. So, I was going with the expectation that the food would be great, the general service bad and the rooms subpar. This is exactly what we got.

We did not have hot water for three days and were told the entire property ran off the same boiler and everyone was without hot water – this was a lie! Finally on the fourth day I could not take another cold shower and around 10 PM the night before I left was given a room in Sunset Tower A, which miraculously had hot water. Originally I was in the East wing. From my understanding the East and West Wings are the oldest and the room conditions show this wear. The rooms are filthy and need a good bleaching and then burning! The mattress looked like it had been in dumpsters for a year are so before placement in the room.

When we transferred to Sunset Tower A we were shocked at the dichotomy of the East wing and the tower. The room in the tower not only had hot water, but it was cozy and had decent linens that did not scratch your skin. The tower also had a flat screen TV instead of a huge tube television. There is a tradeoff with the tower…. It is considerably noisier than the East wing, so if you are a light sleeper you will not get any sleep.

The best thing about the resort is the food and staff (minus the front desk clerks). The Caribbean restaurant was wonderful. Make sure to make reservations 3 days prior to arriving or you may not be able to get into the restaurants.

Overall, I would not return to this resort, as I am on vacation to relax and find this extremely hard with rooms and beds so uncomfortable I literally slept no more than two hours a night.

Room Tip: Ask for Sunset Tower A.
2 Thank jaitraveling
Mt. Vernon, NY
Reviewed 23 May 2011

I stayed here last August and upon arrival I wasn't blown away. The hotel needed some updating but it was not dreadful like some people say. The staff was amazing and the nightly entertainment was great. My only complaint was the choice of available restaurants/grills that were open when the cafeteria was closed. But I'm a very easygoing person so it wasn't a huge deal. I've actually booked another vacation for August '11 and I've already started my countdown.

The beaches were very nice and extremely relaxing. I enjoyed myself and I'm absolutley looking forward to going back. It's the perfect getaway and I felt very safe seeing as I traveled alone last year.

From what I understand the rooms have been updated since last year and there have also been some overall improvements to the hotel. I cannot wait to go back and enjoy myself and see all of the staff I made friends with last year.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 63 in Montego Bay
Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel

Been to Sunscape Splash Montego Bay? Share your experiences!