“Happy Honeymoon - Raves and Reccomendations”

Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
Ranked #18 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Wentzville, Missouri
“Happy Honeymoon - Raves and Reccomendations”
Reviewed 7 May 2012

There are a few "must knows" about myself, my wife, and my review; first and foremost, this was our first experience out of the country. Second, we are both very involved in the service industry. Last, we do not have unfair or unreasonable expectations, simply a need to have a wonderful time when we are on vacation.

First impressions -

Throughout the booking process, the staff at Sunset Beach were very accommodating. Any errors or shortcomings were on behalf of the travel agency we booked through. The check in process was very expeditious. We were greeted with a smile and adult beverage upon arrival. There were computers issues during our check in so we were directed to grab a snack at the grill or to make reservations at the restaurants on the property. The computer issues were resolved quickly and my wife and I were able to check into our room.

At first glance our room was great. Nice appointments, updated fixtures and (as promised) a private balcony. Allow me to make a clarification for anyone considering this resort as a vacation destination; YOU GET EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAY FOR! Sunset beach is VERY upfront about pricing as it pertains to view of the resort/ocean. We were in a king room in the "A" tower with a view of the garden and main beach ocean. It was stunning.

Restaurants -

Banana Walk - Think buffet style eatery. To be honest, this could be an area for improvement. I understand how difficult it must be to feed a small army three times daily, but "repurposing" food at any point seems a bit off. This mostly appeared at breakfast with bacon/egg/pancake casseroles but it was disappointing to say the least. My wife and I found a number of things we really enjoyed. Tuesday's are BBQ night and Thursday's are Jamaican night which were quite good. Try and sit in Nicholas's section. He was by far the friendliest server we had at the main dining facility. On any other night we would recommend making reservations at the resort's restaurants. 3/5

La Bella Via - Not your everyday Italian eatery. Entrees include lamb, beef, chicken with all of the accouterment. Try the caprese salad, the margherita pizza and the lamb dish. Pass on the "pasta e fagoli" soup, the Chicken Alfredo and the "Quattro Fromaggio" pizza. These offerings were not as great as we had hoped. The servers are happy to help you make menu selections but the photographer is an unnecessary distraction from enjoying an evening meal, he was quite nice but interrupted nearly every dinner reservation. 3/5

Byrons - Great restaurant. Caribbean style food is at its very best in the Caribbean. The soups were both great and entrees were quite satisfying. The slaw salad was not our favorite but I'm sure to the right person it would be very good. 4.5/5

Silk Road - Wonderful! The sushi was different than any sushi I have ever had. It was not my wife's favorite but it was only a small part of the meal. The service was outstanding. Try the hot and sour soup (seafood), chicken and sweet corn soup, Mongolian beef, orange chicken and both desserts! This was the best culinary experience we had on the resort. 5/5

The entertainment (and entertainment crew) -

We honeymooned from 4/28 - 5/5 and it rained the first three days of our stay for a significant time everyday. The entertainment crew was quick to have games and music under cover for adults and kids alike. We were in attendance for; Zuma Zuma drinking game, beer drinking games, Silver Birds Steel Pan band, Jah Messenger, a Mixology class/game, beach volleyball, adult couples games, Bon fires, crab races, and a craft bazaar on site for guests to make purchases.

Michael, Kenlijah, Nadia and Samantha were AWESOME! I would feel comfortable saying that the enertainment at Sunset Beach is one of it's STRONGEST AREAS.

Bars/Bartenders

The pool (swim up) bar is awesome!!! You may meet a bartender named Garcia here. He makes wonderful drinks and is very friendly. If he tells you his name is Peter or Michael he is only kidding. If you find Ryan, ask for a shark bite. Alva is another memorable bartender. He is knowledgable and really friendly. Nico is one of the nicest at the ocean bar.

Things to consider -

Waterpark is in the name. If you would prefer no children at you resort than this is not the place for you(the slides are quite fun for adults too). You will need extra money for excursions. We loved the glass bottom boat ride (ask for Tío) and the Rose Hall night tour (our guide Tamara was AWESOME). Don't be afraid to let the resort book transportation for you. The charter taxis and busses are really nice. The spa and Internet are not a part of the all inclusive price. Our couples massages were USD $165 for and hour. I would encourage you to be more vocal than my wife or myself if the therapist's pressure it too much for you. The Internet is $5/hour $15/day $30/week and you MUST BE IN THE LOBBY TO CONNECT. Remember that you are on an island and that weather will affect the wireless signal adversely. We paid for a week and had usable signal for 5 days total.

In closing -

This was a great stay for my wife and myself. In and through our stay at Sunset Beach we fell in love with Jamaica. Sure the water in the shower wasn't as hot as it is at home and the food wasn't always the best food ever, but we didn't and I wouldn't let that keep you from making this your vacation home. The beaches are nice with ample seating and the water is clear. On our next vacation to Jamaica we plan to explore the adults only resorts. We would certainly vacation here again if the adults only options are less appealing. We appreciate the staff of this resort and hope that if you choose Sunset Beach your experience is just as wonderful as ours.

Shaun (12 12) and Vickie J.

15 Thank Shaun J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,433)
  • Polish first
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 4 May 2012

We stayed at Sunset B Tower between April 22 - 29 2012. Our family had two rooms on the same floor. This was our first time in Jamaica and I wasn't sure to expect. We did have an excellent stay though in this resort. I would definitely return to Jamaica and recommend this resort, especially the ocean-front rooms which are worth it.

Rooms - oceanfront - were very clean, spacious and had been remodelled. The daily housekeeping was really good. We talked with the housekeeper Janice a lot and she was so nice.

Food - buffet food was fine for us, daily variety was good. I was surprised when we overheard some in the casino complaining they were only eating pasta. We enjoyed the roast lamb, roast turkey, and various jamaica dishes. We relished all the fruits especially the little bananas, papayas and mangoes! Shout-out to Clinton the omelette guy who was awesome working on 5 omelettes at once!

Asian and Italian restaurants - food was very good, we enjoyed everything including dessert

Waiters: Omar was especially friendly and nice, same with Damian. They contributed greatly to our pleasant stay. Kudos also to: Travis, Oshane, Sadeeke, Zaheir, Elizabeth and others who were smiling and friendly to us.

Casino: my family enjoyed playing the slot machines. One of us won $200 one night, $50 another.

Spa: two family members went twice to the spa and enjoyed that

Jamaica Tours desk: Patrina was so sweet and helpful.

Open Lobby: so many times we sat in the lobby, enjoying the breeezes and sipping bar drinks!
It was so pleasant and a great memory of Sunset Beach

Piano Man: two evenings we sat in the lobby and enjoyed the great music of the talented pianist. Once we were served tea and sandwiches as we listened. Again, great memories!

Overall: we had an uneventful and wonderful stay at Sunset Beach. Actually we kind of fell in love with the Jamaican people we met there and outside the resort. I love their friendly and upbeat attitude. I would definitely like to return to Jamaica and Sunset Beach and will recommend it to people I know!

Room Tip: Pick the ocean-front tower room. We were on the top floor (10th) of Sunset B Tower and it was quiet...
10 Thank MSol98
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2012

I travelled with 27 people to this hotel for a family wedding. Check-in was great and we were given a lovely room with a garden view. The rooms were cleaned on a daily basis and we had a change of towels every day. Double rooms had 2 double beds and adequate storage space. There are 3 speciality restaurants in the hotel which we used on a few occasions - 1 chinese, 1 caribbean and 1 Italian. Food was good in all three and you have to book 2 days in advance for reservations. The food in the buffet restaurant was good also - something for everyone.My only complaint was that there were always queues at the carvery every night and at the hot food counters at breakfast every morning. There is also a grill which is open at lunchtimes and also late at night - food there was great. The pools were all clean and safe and the 5 children aged between 9yrs and 3yrs enjoyed the childrens pool and waterslides although the two eldest ones .loved the main pool as that is where the entertainment is based. The sunbeds however all need replaced as most of them were broken and they do need more sunshades. You have to be down by 7am - leave it any later to put your towels out and you'll find there are no empty sunbeds. The entertainment at night was poor and far too repetitive and there was very little in the vicinity around the hotel so if you were bored, you had to take a taxi into Montego Bay. Taxi fares are not cheap here!!!! Any trips we booked were through the main desk in the hotel and not through Thomson Holidays as they sub contract their tours now and there were a lot of complaints while I was there. I loved the pirate night - definately well worth the money and the food and entertainment was fab. .With new sunbeds, a revamp of the buffet restaurant and better entertainment every night, this hotel could be brilliant.

Room Tip: I was in room E121 which was lovely and quiet. Didn't fancy the tower blocks but that is just my...
Mesa, Arizona
Reviewed 3 May 2012

My wife and I just spent 5 days here and we were both relieved to get home. Out side of the resort Montego Bay did not seem to have any decent offerings, if you calculate the $20 charge to shop in town. Within the resort, We were disappointed to realize that a 2 hour rain cancelled most of the scheduled activities (An evening bonfire should not be cancelled due to a shower at 2pm). If sailing is in your plans, forget it. They have an excuse to keep the boat on land EVERY day. As far as the "Au Naturale beach", it is there. It is too rocky to get in the water and every time time that we ventured to that end of the resort there were children and their parents looking for shells there. I don't know about you, but my wife and I are not into exercising our rights to this property when kids are present. Overall, it was a very noisy resort with a bunch of 8 year olds sitting on bar stools ordering "strawberry daquaris" at the same bar as the adults enjoying the "all-inclusive rum" that they paid for. I think that Sunset Beach needs to reevaluate who do they want to cater to. A more specialized marketing approach might serve them well.. We were disappointed thinking that it would meet our adult needs, but if I would have taken a family with children, I would have been apaullled to expose my kids to this environment..

4 Thank Donald S
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Reviewed 3 May 2012

Overall, the customer service needs the most work at this resort. The rooms were pleasant and cleaned very well by the maids everyday. However, when arriving, the ocean front room we reserved was not available and we were stuck overseeing roof tops and tennis courts. We were told by the front desk that they cannot guarantee rooms or bed sizes. We also had to repack in hopes that our ocean front room would be available. They were also very rude at checkout claiming I did not have my towel card which I was never given. Other places where the customer service was lacking was some restaurants, bartenders, and worst of all the towel hut. Since we were never given a towel card, the person was so rude that we did not want to go back the next day for towels. In the end, the beach was nice and they have some good snorkeling, the rooms were also comfortable, but due to the poor service and unpleasant environment, I will not be returning to this resort or recommend it to others. And just so you know, if you pay for an oceanfront room, you may get a cheaper and not be refunded your money so be careful with the room you reserve!

Room Tip: There are no good rooms to pick since you are not guaranteed the room you reserve.
1 Thank Jeff04_12
eastern passage
Reviewed 3 May 2012

Had a great time at this resort. Most of the reviews on this resort lead me to believe it was a resort to be aware of. I would vacation at this resort again without a second thought. I went with an expectation that it was not top of the line but to be able to visit Jamaica and have sun, fun and all the food and drinks you could want and great staff and clean room what more could you ask for. Great for children. Well worth the money.

Room Tip: Ask for pool side rooms.
4 Thank mdjkcaucoin
Woodbridge, Virginia
Reviewed 3 May 2012

Just came back from this resort. Spent 4 days and 3 nights. The food was ok but not great. Our room was clean but the entire resort could use some updating. The one complaint I had with the room was you barely ever had hot water to take a shower. The water was luke warm at best. I agree with some of the other reviews about the friendliness of the staff. They seemed to be just doing their job but did not go out of their way to ensure you were happy. The best night of food was going to the specialty italian restaurant. The food there was excellent and the staff was very friendly. Definitely my favorite part of the trip. One real negative was one of the activities held in the entertainment area was a drinking game for the adults where kids were allowed to sit right at the table where the adults were taking shots of liquor while playing the game. I was very surprised. It was my first vacation to Jamaica. Would like to visit again and stay at another resort. Perhaps Secrets. It is next door to Sunset Beach and looked like a first class resort. One additional downer to the trip was 3 days of torrential rain beginning at noontime and continuing until late in the night. Didn't allow for much beach time!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 63 in Montego Bay
Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel

Been to Sunscape Splash Montego Bay? Share your experiences!