“Wedding on Sunset Beach” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sunscape Splash Montego Bay

Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
Ranked #17 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
New York City, New York
“Wedding on Sunset Beach”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2012

Well, we just returned from a beautiful five days in Montego Bay, Jamaica! Still on the high of the trip, I just wanted to share our experience with our fellow travelers. My husband and I booked an oceanfront room at Sunset Beach Resort where our friends planned to marry on a Tuesday evening. The grounds of the resort are very expansive (and lovely). Since traveling was a little rough, we couldn't wait to reach our destination. When we got there, we were promptly treated with a refreshing glass of punch. Check-in was a little slow but sipping on that delicious drink made it bearable. Every single staff member we interacted with from beginning to end was extremely gracious and friendly. We often heard "yeah, mon!", "no problem!, and "my pleasure!" It was comforting. When we got to the room, we were pleased. It was spacious, clean, and bright. Housekeeping did a great job but were inconsistent with the times they made it to our room, so it was sometimes difficult to be out of their way when cleaning.The wedding location was perfect! I can't stress this any more. It was truly stunning! Many guest peeked out at the beautiful bride from their rooms and balconies. The staff did a great job with service and food as we danced the night away under the stars! The weather in Montego Bay was great even though we had short storms during our stay. It would literally rain (no, storm) for about and hour with thunder and lightning... the works. Then as soon as it was over, the sky would clear up, the sun would come out, and everything became irie again. The food was was often hit or miss. The drinks kept coming. This is not a luxury resort but it is a good value! Recommended!

Room Tip: Choosing an oceanfront room is worth it!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank J0ISSA

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,375)
  • Polish first
Houston, Texas, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2012

Being first timers to Jamaica...my room was an ocean view front and it was spacious. We had a great time while staying at Sunset Beach Resort. The staff was excellent and very attentive to their guest Our tour guide Rosie was great and the bartenders Clifton and David always had our drinks out to us in the matter of secs. I would recommend staying here to anyone!

Room Tip: The view from the Sunset B Ocean View Front rooms were exceptionally beautiful!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Asheville, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2012

We stayed here July 22nd to 28th 2012. We were originally going to Beaches Trelawny, but were moved here because the resort we actually booked was sold. We booked a room with queen beds and an ocean view with Beaches. Sunsets room only had one king but they brought in a twin for our grandson. He was fine with it. The main resort was nice, very open and decorated with flowering plants. Our room was in the A tower. The view from the balcony was absolutely beautiful, overlooking the ocean and the main pools. I would have liked more shade at the pools and I did find a cup in the water one day, a couple of straws on another. The worst trash problem was at the water park. I agree with the review that said the paint job is meant to look old and weathered; it's a pirate theme.
We ran into a couple of people on the staff that were a little surly, but most of them were friendly and helpful. The bar at the main beach/stage/sports pool was slow for service and the bartenders aloof. The swim up bar was the best, fun friendly bartenders, and a little shade!
My grandson is six. He enjoyed the Mongoose Club and has an awesome tie-dye t-shirt he made there. He was worn out every evening, had a lot of fun. The resort is really geared more for families with young kids, in my opinion. The parents with teens said they were not happy with the teen club, but we did not use it so I can't give any first hand info there.
We ate at the Italian and Caribbean restaurants and thought they were very good. I tried the mutton at Byrons and loved it. We enjoyed both meals, no complaints. The house wine at the Italian is good, try it before buying a bottle of another wine.
Banana Walk is the main buffet. Breakfast was their best meal, and their omelet bar is delicious! The chef (I wish I could remember his name, Deloran? sorry, I'm sure that's close..) He was always entertaining, fun to watch him whip up half a dozen omelets at a time. Always seemed in a good mood.
I had fresh fruit at every meal, always the same melons and some citrus and pineapples, but it's a buffet. They had salads, pastas, fish, chicken, usually sauteed veggies, some kind of potatoes, and usually a jerk or curry dish. It was all good, nothing just horrible.
The grill was awful. I tried a hamburger and it tasted like something from a hospital cafeteria. My grandson got nachos that had bright orange cheese flavored goop on them. They made me think of movie theater snacks. He did say he liked them, but he did not ask us to take him back for more. He managed to get ice cream twice in a week, just vanilla and chocolate. It made him happy enough.
We did not have any problems getting ice and soft drinks. The bars have non-alcoholic slushies and fruit drinks the kids can have. The adult drinks were good, best at the bar at the main pool.
They did a barbeque one day that was pretty good. When they made rum drinks in coconuts at the pool they did not make very many and it was a very short 'event'.
All the pools are closed around dark. This did not keep a very loud group of people from staying in the hot tub until the wee hours, but it only happened once, and a 'closed' sign was stuck in front of it every night after that. It's not like a beach during spring break, but people were having fun as we expected them to, and most nights were not too loud.
The alarm went off in tower A three of four times. It was never anything more than a false alarm and I have no idea why it happened. The power blinked once when we first got there and one of the elevators quit working. We didn't have problems with it again. This is something we experienced in Belize on Ambergris Cay, so we didn't think too much of it. It's an island off an island. Crap happens.
They have a lot of cats. These are wild, feral cats. My grandson kept wanting to catch them, fortunately the cats are faster than he is. I personally love cats, so they did not bother me just by being there. A couple of them did come inside the buffet area. Mostly they hung out in the bushes near the windows.
We loved snorkling. We brought our own masks and used their vests and flippers. There are fish near the rock walls and the reef, and we saw rays near the wall between the middle and main beach.
The thing that irritated me the most was the smoking. They have signs posted for no smoking areas, but people ignored them and no one enforced the rule. Cigarette butts are on the beach and left around the pools. I do not want my grandson exposed to second hand smoke and it was a real headache to avoid, even at the water park.
Sunscreen is expensive, ($20USD) but not as much as the air lines charge to check a bag. We bought a bottle of spray on, then gave what was left of it to another mom when we were heading to check out since TSA won't let you pack anything over 3.4oz in a carry on.
Overall, if we went back to Jamaica without kids, we would stay somewhere else. If we went with kids, we would consider this resort again. It was fun, not perfect or exceptionally luxurious, but we were not expecting a 5 star resort because we were never led to believe this is one. It is nice, and we enjoyed it. If you must have everything like your use to in the states, you may not be happy here. We had a good time and our grandson had a good time and we feel we got a good vacation for the price.

Room Tip: Tower A has a beautiful view, but the rooms near the Italian rstrnt/ main beach look like they would...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Patricia C
Half Moon Bay, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2012

It really is more of a "miss" then a "hit" with this place. The fact that the grounds are old and grungy didn't bother us so much, it was the lack of customer service and AWFUL food that did us in. We came prepared to not expect the Ritz Carlton based on other reviewers posts. We were fine with it! But it was much worse then expected. The buffet food is terrible, the "special dining" restaurants are terrible, and the grill is the probably the worst.

Buffet: Same food every day, breakfast-lunch-dinner. Mainly pastas. My husband and I ate mainly fruit and bagels for breakfast (thankfully they couldn't screw that up) It looks like they use leftovers whenever they can. I got food poisoning from the tuna salad at lunch time the second to last day of our stay. Should have known better...

Specialty Restaurants: Like most reviewers, we agree that out of the three the Italian is the best. We got to go twice (book under a first, and then last name for the second time) and the first time was good. No complaints..it was actually yummy. But the second time my hubby ordered the lasagna and it LITERALLY was delivered as a bowl of soup. ??!!! The deserts they offer taste like they've been sitting in the fridge for weeks.

Grill: Movie theater nacho cheese for the nachos is watered down. The hotdogs are bright red...heard the woman say that it was chicken..hmm. (Could be a one of those cats roaming around the resort) The hamburgers don't taste like meat. I can't describe what they taste like. The grilled cheese is probably the safest thing to eat there, but again probably the worst grilled cheese I've ever tasted. Fries are good. The frozen yogurt machine was working only one day the entire time we were there, and it came out as warm chocolate soup.

We ended up leaving the hotel 3 days in a row for lunch and dinner to eat at the Pork Pit in town...TO DIE FOR!!!!

The beaches are nice, beautiful water and soft sand. We brought the beach chair out half way into the water most days and just lounged out. We tried to go snorkeling with the equipment the hotel was supposed to have, but were told that the only way we could use it was if we booked one of the three tours they offer. (they are free however) They have staff walking up and down the beach trying to sell you spa services, or to try to get you to come play volleyball or whatever activity they've got planned.

The bars: Most staff looked like they hated their life, with the exception of a few. Nikko at the pool bar was by far the BEST bartender we met. He was there with a refill before we even had to ask for one. The cups they give you are small, so ask for two at a time!

Bring a plastic water bottle, you can refill it yourself at the coke machines as often as you need too, and it beats having to buy water bottles there.

Like other viewers said, to get a cab walk outside the hotels gate - it is cheaper and will save you at least $10 dollars each time.

Leave your room balcony door closed if you don't want the humidity to stink up your room and cause the floors to get wet. The rooms were OK, nothing fancy but then again we were only in there to sleep.

We decided to hire a local tour guide rather than take the massive group tours and were SOO thankful we did. Kenneth Watson from Dream Vacations was by far the most intuitive, helpful, and friendly guy we met. Highly recommend him to anyone looking for doing tours without a large group of randoms. It may cost you an extra 20-40 dollars, but you get so much more out of it than you would if you went another way, worth the cost.

All in all, glad we got the Jamaican experience - but probably will not go back

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Kristin K
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2012

We visited in May 2010. Rained most of the time so we were not the happiest. Arriving at the hotel and check was fine. Not to far from airport. All-inc so YAY! Drink up. Room was average but damp. The humidity was high but the damp was not as bad as Mexico. We spoke to a another holiday maker and she said the same. The food was delish. Lots of flavour. The lunch hut place had the best jerk chicken. Not tasted anything like it since. The pools and slides were fun for the kids. My son was there most of the day. Clean and spacious. The beach was nice with a nudist beach at the end behind the fence. We went snorkeling and say manta rays and a lion fish on the rocks. Puffer fish and flying fish. My son was ecstatic. To hire a kayak or snorkeling gear was fine. No wait. The staff were nice people. Downfall was the nightlife. eek. Some acts on the stage, so so. Then about 12am the lights were out and the lobby and disco bar was open. The bar was quiet and not big. My friend and i are not wild but some more nightlife would have been nice. We were told not be be going out of the resort alone in the day or night so we felt a little trapped. This wasn't an issue in the Bahamas. I guess if it wasn't so rainy we wouldnt have bothered much about it. Called sunset for a reason. The sunsets were AMAZING!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank scouseinthehouse
Brampton, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2012

Just back July 31, 9 days
To start off with, do not go here if your on a Honeymoon. They do not care at all at this resort and is geared for mostly families. Taking your kids 12 and younger is fine.
My wife and I just got married and we took our kids 13 and 17. There is a teen center but not much to do in there. It can be a great center just needs more things in there to do. We were supposed to stay at the Hilton however, Air Canada screwed up and overbooked the hotel. We decided to give this resort a try regardless what the reviews states. We been everywhere the past years and this was one to remember for sure.
Upon arriving, we were given the wrong rooms as we booked 2 of them. I complained right away but got nowhere. They stated they did not get the requests but Air Canada had the info confirmed. The rep at Air Canada tried and got us the correct rooms but the hotel gave no effort to inform us and the rooms were given away. So we got stuck with these 2 rooms. First the Air conditioning was poorly working and stayed that way for 8 days out of 9. Funny how it was ok the last day. Next, the bath tub was painted and peeling. Could not take a bath and then no hot water at all. The pressure so poor the wife could not wash her hair.
Otherwise the room was old, but goes with the hotel. Not a Hilton quality for sure.
The staff hehehe, well like many said was a hit and miss. The FRONT DESK staff need a kick in the.....you know what. Where did they find such RUDE people. No people skills at all.
Its a shame as many staff smile and make you feel welcome but 25% of them should not be working there.
I got hurt here and ended up in the hospital requiring stitches. The hotel had their guest play games in an unsafe condition and ended up not being able to enjoy going into the water for over a week. The nurse was so rude even the doctor that visited me at the resort could not believe it. Dr. Lee was a very kind and thank you.
The manager seemed to care at first and we wanted to discuss the whole issues we had but got ignored. I rather try and talk and resolve our concerns then write them here.
This hotel can be a good resort with much higher remarks if the they get the rooms up to par and especially the service. The grounds are nice and clean and food was pretty good. Same old daily buffets but quality was good.
My big issue only was that I got tired out hearing, sorry no more left or not ready. never had we ever experienced that at any resorts we been. Jerk chicken never ready on time and so many other items you had to get it right away before they ran out. How is that possible?
We were late even for out tour because the restaurant was not open at 7am.
Entertainment was very good compared to many resorts we been at 5 stars.
The beach is nice and enjoyable.
Drinks are ok and no issues.
To sum this up, would we come back? answer is NO
If the hotel manager will not talk to you after several attempts, sorry. My wife has part of her foot missing and we needed a room with a bathtub you can wash in. Shower pressure was so little making it best to wash in the ocean.
A proper room and service was all we asked.
Oh, NO ROOM SERVICE at all.
NO Food allowed in rooms"
No Fridge in most Rooms.
No Clock in rooms"
AND NO PATTIES unless you want to buy them? thought I was in Jamaica"

In all our travels to many resorts, we really never had ever complained. if we did, all matters got resolved and would never bring up here. However, as nothing got resolved, we feel its best to share that with you.
The Hilton and Breezes all have water parks and try them first. Until this place upgrades the rooms and services, this to us is no more than a 3 star at best.

Room Tip: Inspect the room first. I liked the West and East wings facing the ocean.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
8 Thank NormPhann
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2012 via mobile

I went for business. Wrong place.

All inclusive hotel with good amenities. Rooms were not as detailed as the social part of the hotel. The view from the pool is simply impressive. The horizon is off the hook. Lots if daily turists from cruise ships.

For an all inclusive food was very good.

Highly recommend for a 4 day trip. Loads of things to do near montego bay

Next time i go for vacations

Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
#1 of 1 in Ironshore
3.5 of 5 bubbles 5,780 reviews

Been to Sunscape Splash Montego Bay? Share your experiences!