“Pains me to write anything negative, but......”

Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
Ranked #19 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Reviewed 15 November 2013

First I must start by saying that this is my first time staying in a budget hotel so my review is from that point of view. I have been to several carribean islands and have stayed at 4+ star resorts each time, so here is my review. I spent 5 days at SBR to celebrate my birthday with my daughter, I have to say that the staff at this resort are A++ from Ms. Walters to Renae in guest services, drivers, bellhops, food service and housekeeping. I did the online check in and everything went smoothly on arrival it took about 10 mins, also I had been emailing back and forth with Renae Daley who was extremely helpful. Walking through the lobby to the elevator to tower B the view of the ocean and the mountains were fantastic, then we get to the room, it wasn't horrible but it definitely needs to be updated. The boxspring that was partially exposed under the bedskirt was dirty and worn,there were no comforters on the beds( not too bad because if you get cold just turn off the ac and open the sliding door), the in room safe was small(didn't fit my laptop), no fridge or microwave,the shower head needs to be replaced because the water just sprayed all over the place(the water pressure was low so we managed), the tiles in the shower were kinda dirty and there were no toiletries offered except for the shampoo and soap in a dispenser in the shower. I know you don't go to Jamaica to stay in the room and we didn't spend much time there, but I still like to feel comfortable no matter how little the time spent. All that being said I would stay at this resort again because the good (the staff, food and great views) outweighs the bad( the room and furnishings) and hopefully they will be doing some remodeling soon.

Room Tip: We stayed in a corner room on the 10th floor in tower B, the views were amazing.
1  Thank ladyj17

Reviewed 14 November 2013

I don’t know where to start when I talk about Sunset Resort and Water Park. Well here we go. On October 26 I arrived at the resort and had an awesome greeting from guest service employee Renae, Shaudae, Monique and Arniece. They took care of all my wants and need for the entire vacation. Something I would not expect any less from with Ms. Karlene Walters being their supervisor, as a person that wear many hats from problem solver to guest ambassador. I advised the ladies that I was here with my wife and October 27th would be our one year wedding anniversary. Ms. Walter’s and the ladies of guest service helped arrange a beautiful unforgettable evening for us. I would like to thank them so much. (I had to mention the turn down service that was given to us as an anniversary comp. Every night we returned to our room, there were flowers and handmade towel swans arranged on the bed. JUST BEAUTIFUL is all that is to be said.)

Let me tell you about the entertainment crew. Kenijah, Dominque, Georgia and Yanique they provided us with great shows, great music by the pool and just all around fun times. There is one more person on the entertainment crew the Pool Zumba guy. He gave me a great work out in the pool. Two thumbs up!!.

The restaurants and buffets were amazing the food was always hot and ready, with employees like Albert and Newton running a tight ship. The restaurant crew always made sure we were comfortable and had enough to eat and drink. (That will explain my now strenuous workout and diet Lol.)

I can go on and on and on about my recent trip I had at Sunset Resort and Water Park. But the only way you can experience what I experience is to go there for yourself. I guarantee fun filled experiences for the whole family.

JUPITER

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jupiter567
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I will go back for sure ! People are really nice, the service is perfect , nice beach, the food at the buffet very good, you can drink the water every place in the hotel it's the same water in Canada/USA .....

3  Thank Patricia J
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I was looking forward to hearing phrases like "Don't Worry" and "No Problem" during our trip to Jamaica. Unfortunately, they were just excuses given by this hotel the moment we arrived and continued throughout our stay. As soon as we checked in, we tried to get reservations at the restaurants on the property. Unfortunately, we were told that the reservations had to be made many days in advance. Therefore, we had to either eat at the bland buffet or try to find our way off campus and find a decent meal at a local restaurant. The only restaurant that did have availability on property was the Asian place. And we knew why by looking at the menu. There were literally 5 choices. One example was a ''Sweet and Sour Chicken" which consisted of Chicken Nuggets and Pineapple slices. What else can I say... Well, for one thing, they never had clean towels available. "Don't Worry" try again later. Machine is broken. Should I tell you about the water slides. "No Problem Mon". When you go down the slides, make sure you sit up and don't lie down. If you do, your back will be scraped up like it was sliding across a cheese grater. The seams of the slide are coming apart and they don't feel great, but "Don't Worry." Need your room cleaned? Well roll the dice and wish for the best. We had to literally beg 3 different people to clean our room one day and it didn't get done until 5 in the afternoon when we were dripping wet and in need of a shower. What did we hear why we waited? "Don't Worry, No Problem". Want a nice tasty ice cream treat for the kids. Well, there is a soft serve machine by the pool for you.. But sych, it either didn't work half the time or it was so mobbed by a pack of wolves when it did work, you had a 10% chance of getting anything to taste. The final icing on the cake was when we were leaving the hotel. First our shuttle for the airport was supposed to arrive at 11am. At 11:15, we asked the concierge and got a "Don't Worry, No Problem". Unfortuntely, it was a big problem, we had a plane to catch. The best part however, has to be the photographer walking around the property taking pictures. He took a couple of pictures of me and my kids on kayaks that I thought were great. I ordered them in the photo shop and asked that the digital images be emailed to me so that I could blow up prints. Low and behold, it's two days since we got back from our vacation and I'm still waiting on the pictures. Don't Worry Mon".

Bottomline, if you just need a place to sleep and a bar to get drunk at, this is your resort. If your looking for a relaxing vacation where service is paramount and you enjoy good food, pick anywhere but this place. This place was probably great in it's hayday, but that time has long since past.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
7  Thank Cotton1232013
Reviewed 12 November 2013

We are seasoned travelers, taking 2-3 trips yearly. Sunset Beach Resort was a good value. The food was good and the service was great. What we didn't like was the 25 feral cats on the beach and in the dining areas. We witnessed several cats defecating on the beach where we walked in the sand barefooted. My husband came home from the doctor last week with a diagnosis of hookworm on his left foot. This is a parasite that is pasted from an animals intestines to a human. Would we return? Not until they get rid of the feral cats that are roaming. If you go, keep your shoes on your feet at all times, especially on the beach.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Amy S
Natalie B, Manager at Sunscape Splash Montego Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2013

Dear Amy S,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. Please note that we have been working with a local humane society, International Spay Neuter Network, in catching, spaying, treating and providing "accommodations" for the animals in addition to reducing their population by finding alternative homes for some of them.

We have had some success in this regard and there is a marked reduction in the number of cats we do see. We have also ensured that we are compliant with the necessary protocols in dealing with any litter and that such standards and procedures are meticulously adhered to.

We do regret that your vacation was not all that it could have been and hope that we will once again have the opportunity to welcome you to Sunset Beach Resort, Spa & Waterpark.

Always at your service,
Natalie Boreland
Compliance Officer
cia@sunsetresortsjm.com

Reviewed 12 November 2013

Sunset Beach is value for money for Business, Solo, Couples and Friends. Karlene Walters (the resort liaison) is always available to assist with any concerns in an approachable and professional manner. The staff at the VIP desk and the main reception always welcome you with a smile and are extremely helpful. The Bar staff mix a splendid cocktail and Appleton is the drink to try. There are three restaurants and if you want to dine there make sure this is the first thing you do every morning to avoid disappointment.

Room Tip: If you would prefer not to be seen by other people when you are relaxing on the balcony. I would rec...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank B L
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Great Place! friendly environment . Great Atmosphere!! Food was good, lots of options. Great for not just couples but the entire family. I would recommend this place to anyone thinking of stayin in Montego Bay.

• Stayed: October 2013