“Won a free trip!!!”

Ranked #18 of 62 Hotels in Montego Bay
Toronto, Canada
“Won a free trip!!!”

Hi Everyone,

I have been to this property twice, and their service is exceptional. We were invited to the return guest party and ended up winning a trip back there for 4 days. How awesome is that? I really recommend this prpoerty in MOntego Bay becuase of the great proximity to everything in the city and great beach are, on top of that their staff is amazing. My husband and i had a great time. We have been to Jamaica 6 times already and this trip really made us very happy. We will be back very soon !!! I was there on the 19-26th October

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Priya Y

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,422)
  • Polish first
Mattapoisett, Massachusetts
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Sunset Beach. A resort that truly lives up to it's name. I sat on one of the most beautiful beaches in the world and watched the sun set over the mountain every night, and every night I couldn't believe that it was a better show than the previous night. The staff was so attuned and courteous and respectful that I easily felt right at home. Everything you could possibly need to enjoy yourself for a week straight without going anywhere was readily available. The food was out of this world, and the secrets of their preparation were willingly shared. The daily shopping available right on the resort was diverse and brimming with local culture and craftsmanship. Sailing the little hobie cats and snorkeling the amazing reefs was not only included in the stay but they were absolutely nothing short of amazing. A full tropical experience without a doubt including stingrays, eels, conch, puffer fish, tropical fish of all colors and sizes. The water sports guides really outdo themselves and make sure guests get the full appreciation for the ocean. The spa was clean and had an amazing view making you feel like you weren't missing anything going on outside. And the 4 beaches had a spot for every type of beachgoer from family oriented to private and even nude with a guard on hand at all times. I intend to return again soon and bring my family.

Room Tip: This place has rooms for every type of vacationer. People watchers and nature lovers will all have t...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Erica Lynn B
Belleville, Canada
Reviewed 20 November 2013

My husband and I just returned from a four day stay at Sunset Beach (Nov 15-18). The following review is fairly detailed. I read a ton of reviews prior to my stay and thought I would return the favour.

So you know a bit of my background. My husband and I have travelled extensively through the Carribean and parts of South America (Mexico, Dominican Republic, Jamaica, Honduras, Cuba, etc.). We have stayed at 5, 4 and 3.5 stars so do have a wide view of all-inclusive resorts. This is our first time back to Jamaica since our honeymoon in 2005. It was our first time away from our 2 year old daughter so we chose to stay only 4 days over our usual 7. We also chose Montego Bay instead of Runaway Bay (where we stayed last time) because it was close to the airport and would cut down on our travel time.

I looked at a variety of resorts in the Montego Bay area and after allot of research chose Sunset Beach. I was a bit nervous since it had received some nasty reviews but could not justify spending the extra money for Iberostar, Grand Palladium or Sandals. This turned out to be an excellent decision! We had a wonderful time at SB and I can't imagine the price difference being worth it.

First a note about SB and some changes underway. Currently the section of this resort known as the "beach inn section" is under construction. As of Dec 12, 2013 this section of the resort will be split off into a sister resort called The Oasis at Sunset. The new resort will include 124 rooms in the two level sections, a private restaurant and bar as well as the beach to the east of the property that has the "nude" section. These parts of the resort will no longer be accessible to guests staying at SB but if you stay at The Oasis you have access to all SB amenities. The Oasis will also offer some extra's that are not offered at SB such as free internet, stocked in room fridge, premium brand booze, room service, etc.

During our stay we could still use the east beach. My husband and I did not partake in the nude section but did enjoy how quiet this beach was. Since we were travelling without our daughter it was nice to be kid free and enjoy the quiet. You were still close to a bar and washroom so we spent most of our days here. This section of the beach is sandy with lots of room to pick the perfect spot for your lounge chair, tones of sun and shade. We loved it!

There were two other beaches at the resort as well as two pools, lazy river/pool, water slide and hot tub (which was actually hot). The beaches were nice with lots of lounge chairs always available. Some people have commented about needing water shoes. I did not bring any because we only travelled carryon and was fine without.

We had hoped to stay in one of the beach inn buildings but were told at check in that they had none with king beds available. Once we walked the resort we could see that allot of the rooms were under renovation in this section which is why I am sure they did not have many available. We ended up with a room on the 10th floor of tower A (1010 - Oceanview). We had an amazing view of the ocean, resort, harbour and Montego Bay. The lights at night were truly beautiful. Our room was nothing fancy but it was spotless, king bed was comfy, and lots of tv channels. We did lose a bit of water pressure if trying to shower around dinner time but that was no big deal. We did have to wait a little bit for the elevator but used it rarely and enjoyed chatting with other guests on our trips up and down, so again no big deal.

We found that there was lots of variety food wise. We usually eat breakfast at the buffet and then a mid afternoon meal at the grill, dinner at Asian and Italian a la carte as well as once at the buffet. Good variety everywhere. The jerk chicken at the grill was beyond delicious! We eat it under a tree, on the beach, with two cold beers. Who can ask for more than that?! There were only two a la carte restaurants available at any time because they are currently renovating the Italian restaurant location, since it will be part of the new Oasis. The Italian was in the usual Carribean restaurant location. Food was great so we had no complaints.

Overall the resort was perfect for us. The staff were very friendly and all of our wants and needs were met. We did spend a couple dollars at the casino and saw not pay out but it was fun while it lasted. We also played a few rounds of pool in the evenings which we have not done for years so enjoyed. There were lots of activities happening around the activity pool and beach. We did not participate because we were too busy relaxing but there was lots to do if that is what you are looking for. They also had a small kiddy pool and two kids clubs. All of the kids seemed to be happy and entertained. We would bring our daughter to this resort in a heartbeat. There would be lots for her to do and eat.

After reading all the reviews I did bring a few things that I think made our stay a bit better and I would recommend bringing. Insulated mugs for drinks. The drink cups are small and we would have made allot more trips to the bar without them. These were also nice for coffee in the room in the morning. The rooms have kettles with instant coffee and tea but only small styrofoam cups. It was nice to just fill our travel mugs. I also brought instant coffee from home that already has sugar and whitener in it. My husband said the coffee was okay but he still preferred what we brought from home. Shampoo, conditioner, cream and soap. They only had one bar of soap and then soap/shampoo in a dispenser in the shower. I was happy to have brought my own. I did not bring a water bottle but would next time. They do not have bottled water available in the rooms. This was fine but we either had to bring our insulated cups down with us to fill with water or bring up a couple of the small glasses at night. We managed with no problem but it would have been easier with a big water bottle.

Overall we were very happy with the accommodations, food and amenities offered at SB. If we were to travel as a couple again I think I would look into staying at the new Oasis at Sunset. We really enjoyed the east beach and would be sad without it. If we came back with our daughter we would happily book again at SB. You can't beat what you get for the money.

Room Tip: Higher the floor, better view and quieter. Tower A is closer to music so can be loud at times but w...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Alexia C
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 19 November 2013

I booked my trip to Jamaica a night before and decided to stay at Sunset Beach Resort as I arrived to Jamaica for the first time.I must say it was the best vacation of my life.
The hotel is clean and beautiful with amazing private beaches, swimming pools, water parks, many restaurants, etc.Not to talk about the price and view... just spectacular. The staffs are delightful and always kind, in such a great disposition and ready to help. ALL staff, including managers made my vacation unforgettable (Karlene Walker, Leon, Latchroy, Conrad Moore, the evening manager, the complaince officer, the restaurant servers...etc,I don't recall all the names) :) There is many activities, and water sports some free and others reasonable price.
I traveled alone but the environment & staff made me feel home. They all remembered me by name and met guests from all over the world.
I was amazed by the way the security and the managers handled a situation where I lost my cellphone. I made a report to the security then tracked my Iphone using "Find my Phone" app. Latchroy, the security guard, acted efficiently and out his way to help. He notified the cops.
The next day I had my Iphone. They care about every single guest and guest safety.
I def recommend Sunset Resort for anyone either travelling with family, alone or for business!
Thank You for making my experience memorable!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Euri P
Richmond, Virginia, United States
Reviewed 19 November 2013

From my arrival to my departure no request was to small or to big! The staff bent over backwards to fulfill all the needs and beyond of our group. From last minute receptions and room changes nothing seemed to get in the way of making our experience nothing less than first class. My hat goes off to the staff and special thanks to Mr. Bloomfield, Carlene and Sharee thanks again for all your help and support. Looking forward to my next visit as are the members of CMSI.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank David O
Elmvale, Canada
Reviewed 19 November 2013

We were here from November 5 -15 2013, we had a super time !! We were in B tower room 1011 . Great ocean view room and we could also see the yacht club and town from up there . Our room was basic king bed with a nice little balcony , always clean and fresh, nice flat screen on the wall, little kettle with coffee, tea etc. Perfect for the amount of time you spend in a room while on vacation .
We found the snorkeling to be fantastic right from our own beach , we saw needlefish, lobster, octopus, stingray, rockfich, lionfish,grouper, tons of little coloured ones . We generally book an excursion to get this, but we saw more here than on any excursions we have been on in the past .
Our food was good, but after 10 days its the same as anything else, you grow tired of it but we have no complaints otherwise. we were always full. We only did the asian a la carte and it was very tasty food. We had 4 to take advantage of but just never got around to booking them .
The staff was FABULOUS , friendly and always there with a big smile and to help us, especially Ricardo, Romaine and Damian - special thanks to those guys :) The bar drinks were always good.. love mudslides down on the far beach bar .Lots of beach areas to chose from, the beach is a little pebbly in some spots but not to bad at all . Lots of fresh soft beach around , lots of chairs and palapas.
We went to the waterpark and lazy river- lots of fun! The restrooms around the resort were always clean even at beachside and near the waterpark .
We had the $35 lobster dinner on the beach.. VERY nice, we did couple massage on the beach , parasailing , used the kayaks, paddleboats , lots to do at this resort !
This resort is a little old, I would say a low 4 star ,we totaly had a terrific time there and are thinking about returning in April 2014 loved it .

Room Tip: Tower B room 1011 is a corner top floor. We had a really nice view of the ocean and mountains, and...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AprilandSteve
Kamloops, Canada
Reviewed 17 November 2013

This was our first vacation in Jamaica! We stayed at Sunset Beach for 10 days. We loved how open and spacious the resort is. The staff was very friendly and the service was outstanding. We enjoyed the entertainment a lot and the activities were great. We especially enjoyed doing Reggae Zumba in the pool as a family and the instructor Kevin was phenomenal! The rooms could use a bit of TLC however they were spotless! The food in the buffet was great with a huge variety each day. There were new foods to try as well as familiar foods which was great four our daughter who was a bit reluctant to try new things. The Italian restaurant was great! The beach was nice but wear water shoes. There are a few rocks and sea urchins. We had a fabulous time and would love to return one day.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 62 in Montego Bay
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,235 reviews

Been to Sunscape Splash Montego Bay? Share your experiences!