“Perfectly Nice”

Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
Ranked #19 of 64 Hotels in Montego Bay
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Just to be clear: "water park" means playground for children. There were no slides or lazy rivers for adults. Is that immature? Maybe! But I was a little disappointed that they didn't have a big person lazy river! The grounds were perfectly nice. I appreciated the natural beach because I hate tan lines. The food was just ok, but I have found that to always be the case with "all-inclusive" venues. It was on par with any other. The shopping tour that the hotel offers does not drop you off where you want to go and pick you back up, it takes you to three stores and three stores only. They are surely the stores that the hotel gets a kick-back from and are possibly not the best places to find neat stuff. I thought all of the staff was quite friendly and would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank 08Carrie80

Reviewed 21 November 2013

We just returned from this resort yesterday and tere are things thatyou should know before booking here. The resort is under renovation and up until the day we left were confirmed for the west cabanas and ended up in the east ones instead leaving a long walk. It was a beautiful view and the property is lovely. The landscaping staff does a good job of the areas that are visible. Our room lanai opened up to a plant literally covered with spiders less than two feet from where you would hang the suits to dry. The web extended from the second floor to our floor. There are no clocks in the room so either bring your phone with an alarm app or use wake up call. There are no spreads on the bed just a light blanket. You need to ask for a lock for the safe as they need to be picked up at the front desk so if the staff neglected to tell you when you check in you'll have to walk back to pick up a lock.
You are only allowed one visit to each specialty restaurant and they are not all open every night. At times the drinks tasted watered down. The buffet food was mediocre at best. I did speak to a couple on the beach who have been coming to this resort for seven years and they said the food had deteriorated. If you want to get a reservation at one of the specialty restaurants it helps to get prime time if you cross the staffs palm with cash which I witnessed myself. The only ice cream machine was non functioning or not supplied more than it was working. The lamb chops at the italian restaurant are excellent but a very small amount of meat. The oxtail entree at the carribean restaurant was excellent.
The towel rack bars fell out onto the floor during our visit which were installed poorly. The shower curtains were falling off the hooks. There are no cups in the bathroom. They do provide you with body soap and shampoo in a dispnser on the wall in the shower.
The snorkeling was enjoyable but the water near the hotel at times smelled very nasty. The reef that they say is "just off the shore" is a half mile swim.
They could really use more fans in the buffet area as it was quite hot.
Now, I did partake in a massage and this was wonderful. Kareen at JTL desk is awesome! she was the best thing about the resort always finding a way to help with problems. Would I return? Maybe, if the price was right and my traveling companions decided its where they wanted to go.

Room Tip: If you don't mind walking the cabanas are a nice view.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank deb21457
Reviewed 21 November 2013

I'm just going to start off by saying it's been awhile since I've stayed at an AI in Jamaica and this trip was for business. I did enjoy the 2 nights here at Sunset but I'm also glad it was only 2 nights...lol.

Room - I had a Beachfront room which was very clean with a huge balcony that included a table and 2 chairs and a Spectacular View from the balcony, from the bed from the entire room! We were also close to the pool where they held all the activities so we were able to sit out on our balcony and enjoy the music and watch the guest play games etc., it could get quite noisy but wasn't a big issue for us.

The bathroom was outdated could use some renovating it was clean had hot running water with plenty of towels, face/hand cloths it worked. The room also had a flat screen TV, mini frige, coffee maker, and a safe (with a key) that I didn't really care for... If you want ice you had to get it from the bar…which became a headache as you had to walk some ways to the bar (lazy me). lol

Food – Just okay, Breakfast was my favorite the "omelets to order" was very GOOD! Two nights and I was bored with the same menu on the buffet table cant imagine being there wks. at a time.

Pool - I saw 3 nice size pool(s) First pool was where they had the daily activities Second pool was a swim up pool bar and the Third pool was the kiddie pool which was by the water park they all was clean and looked like fun.

Free Wifi in the lobby was a No Go! it never worked, I even try to pay for minutes for a connection that didn't work either! Oh and I tried to use the complimentary computers in the computer room guess what...No show! I must say it didn't ruin things for me just made me a little irritated..

One upside, If you have a Jamaica phone you can top-up your minutes in the office which was a plus...

All the staff was helpful, nice and accommodating all but our housekeeper and they handle the situation in a quick timely manner which is appreciated and I thought should be noted.

Overall - This place is huge with plenty to do for Everyone from Families, Couples, Groups no one should get bored. Especially the Water park the kids would have a blasts I was tempted to crawl through the maze and be a kid again...haha!

Room Tip: Beachfront room has an amazing view but walking distance from the main lobby, dining area etc.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Luvs2TravelChic
Reviewed 21 November 2013

First impression when we pulled up was not so good. Lobby architecture is, how can I put it... in a word, UGLY. Most other hot holidays we've been on, the roofs of the lobbies are expansive wooden beams with thatched roofs which is awesome. This place has steel girders with corrugated (and mismatched) roofing. BLAH! And while I'm griping, the aesthetic appeal of the 2 towers where the majority of the guests are housed in are also kinda ghetto looking from the outside. Also, I wouldn't recommend going down the waterslides laying down, unless you want to shred up your shoulder blades on the joints between each section of slide. However, once you get used to all that, be prepared for an awesome stay!

Food and drinks were delicious and plentiful. We partook in all the a la cartes, and were never disappointed. Staff was also great, especially if you made an effort to use some Patwa phrases like 'wah gwan?' (what's going on?), or for the younger hipper staff, 'why pree?'. Followed up with a high five and a smile, you'd have just made a friend for the whole week, not to mention better service at the bar ;-)

Rooms were clean, beds comfortable, A/C worked, pillows plush enough to sleep on. Entertainment was entertaining, and the pool staff must have been on speed or something with their never ending energy. Lots of cool things to see snorkeling, such as octopus, jellyfish, puffer fish, lots of other common fish, coral reefs, sea shells, etc. Lots of non-motorized water crafts available, so never had to wait to sign out a paddle boat, kayak, or even the windsurfer (although I think they're leery of people using it, most likely due to stupid tourists falling on the sail and breaking it...).

We also went for a run off the resort every morning, and discovered that we were on a peninsula called Freeport just across the bay from downtown Montego Bay. There were about 4 resorts there, as well as a port for boats and cruiseships. Even though we were warned multiple times to be aware of our safety when off the resort, we never felt threatened at all, at least not where we were and at that time of day. We took a shuttle that brought us to 3 different locations downtown to do some shopping for $10. The first 2 stops were more commercial where you could buy things like alcohol and clothing, etc, and the last stop was at a market where a swarm of locals were selling their crafts and art. That's where you can really negotiate. Also, wait to buy alcohol until you get to the airport duty free where it's actually cheapest.

Finally, there is no dance club, or really any bar that people actually go to at night on the resort, so one night (Thursday is free cover for the ladies) we took the free Margaritaville shuttle and had an awesome time dancing with a good mix of tourists and locals. The music was pumping, and the DJ never once played a crappy tune. My wife says it was the first time since we started dating that she's ever seen me dance so much, ha ha. Drinks were overpriced, so my only piece of advice is to load up at the resort before heading out!

In conclusion, for $1070 per person after tax for direct flights to and from Winnipeg, Manitoba, for a week in paradise all inclusive, we definitely got our money's worth and then some, so thank you everyone at Sunset Beach Club for making our first stay in Jamaica a memorable one!

Room Tip: If you get a lower level room, you can walk up to your room rather than wait for the elevator!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ostamb
Reviewed 21 November 2013

We loved it...the resort is beautiful, the people are so friendly and inviting. I don't understand what there is to complain about with this resort, it is fantastic...the resort itself is amazing but it is the people that work there that make it even better. The view from our 8th floor ocean front room was truly spectacular..the food was awesome, the drinks were plentiful and the fun to be had is endless from just relaxing on the beach or one of the many pools or floating around the lazy river or partaking in one the endless activities going on at the activities pool, there is something for everyone at any given time....some of the evening shows were not my favourite but that is personal preference but others such as the steel drums, the acrobatics, the drum boys and the most amazing magician I have ever seen are not to be missed. We cannot wait to go back and are already planning our next vacation to Sunset Beach Resort and Spa. If you want to go on any excursions be sure to call Liberty Tours...ask for Ricardo, he is so kind and patient answering all of our questions and if you are like us and don't like the regular touristy things, he will take you the hidden treasures of Montego Bay and Ocho Rios...the most amazing places that are not crowded with other tourists and where you can truly experience the most Jamaica has to offer...I cannot say enough good things about this resort and my only complaint would be that our vacation went by too fast...until next time....Irie Mon...

Room Tip: We had an 8th floor ocean front room in Tower A....beautiful views from the balcony....
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Meacdn
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Hi Everyone,

I have been to this property twice, and their service is exceptional. We were invited to the return guest party and ended up winning a trip back there for 4 days. How awesome is that? I really recommend this prpoerty in MOntego Bay becuase of the great proximity to everything in the city and great beach are, on top of that their staff is amazing. My husband and i had a great time. We have been to Jamaica 6 times already and this trip really made us very happy. We will be back very soon !!! I was there on the 19-26th October

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Priya Y
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Sunset Beach. A resort that truly lives up to it's name. I sat on one of the most beautiful beaches in the world and watched the sun set over the mountain every night, and every night I couldn't believe that it was a better show than the previous night. The staff was so attuned and courteous and respectful that I easily felt right at home. Everything you could possibly need to enjoy yourself for a week straight without going anywhere was readily available. The food was out of this world, and the secrets of their preparation were willingly shared. The daily shopping available right on the resort was diverse and brimming with local culture and craftsmanship. Sailing the little hobie cats and snorkeling the amazing reefs was not only included in the stay but they were absolutely nothing short of amazing. A full tropical experience without a doubt including stingrays, eels, conch, puffer fish, tropical fish of all colors and sizes. The water sports guides really outdo themselves and make sure guests get the full appreciation for the ocean. The spa was clean and had an amazing view making you feel like you weren't missing anything going on outside. And the 4 beaches had a spot for every type of beachgoer from family oriented to private and even nude with a guard on hand at all times. I intend to return again soon and bring my family.

Room Tip: This place has rooms for every type of vacationer. People watchers and nature lovers will all have t...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
#1 of 1 in Ironshore
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay

Been to Sunscape Splash Montego Bay? Share your experiences!