“Not The Best!”

Ranked #17 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
Lansing, Michigan
“Not The Best!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013 via mobile

In this trip, it was two adults and two children. The staff were not very nice. They actually shoed my God son away from a the sitting area with a mop. I was pretty upset and brought it to managements attention. We were offered a free night on our next trip. The bartenders were the opposite. They made sure we had plenty of drinks to go around. Our room was very basic but clean. The entertainment crew was great. They tried to include everyone. Overall, I might come back to this resort. Before this happens, I think I will check out their sister resort in Ocho Rios.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank JMfun

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,403)
  • Polish first
Atlantic City, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

Don't confuse this resort with the Ritz Carlton or some five star resort. Having said that, the hospitality and accommodating style of nearly EVERYONE at this resort IS five star quality. I arrived early (12:30pm) and expected to have to wait a while to check in as 3 pm is pretty much standard at most hotels. (Thanks Renee!) They told me to grab lunch and come back in a half hour or so and they would try to get me a room early. They were able to upgrade my room and have it ready so we could put away our belongings and make it to the ocean & swim up bar and not have to waste half a day. Niko, Damian, Garcia (and many many others were amazing and became friends). As a returning guest, they gave me a VIP wristband and treated me that way for the duration of the stay. The food was as good as any All inclusive. The entertainment was on point and you really didn't need a reason to leave the resort (although I did to watch NFL games at the HipStrip-Thanks Mr. Davidson!!!!) The weather was PERFECT! To make a long story short...while there are nicer places in Jamaica with more modern and athletically pleasing buildings/architecture etc etc....there is NOT a better deal for your dollar in the entire Caribbean! This is coming from someone who has been fortunate enough to visit a substantial amount of islands. The staff did any and everything they could in their power to make sure your stay was special. The resort is cleaned every waking second and they go out of their way to truly make you feel special. Will 100,000,000% return again.

P.S. Thanksgiving dinner was as good as any back home

Room Tip: Ocean front is the way to go
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Mic R
Vancouver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

Went to this resort and just loved it. The staff go out of there way to make your trip wonderful. From the moment we got to the resort the staff were friendly and without even asking they upgraded us to a better room with a view. It didnt stop there... The cleaning staff were fabulous and always had a smile and greeted us by name. Next there were the Bar and resturaunt staff. They got to know us and we didnt even have to request a drink they just brought us what they knew we wanted.

The food may be resort fare but the Staff ( The Help ) made this resort a treasure.

If your worried about being in Jamaica forget about it. The minute we got off the plane a feeling of RELAXATION grips you and you feel calm and relaxed. Every local you see has a smile and puts you at ease. I've travelled Mexico but never again. Jamaica is a home away from home and if I want the Sun here is where I will rest my tired soul.

Dont be a cheap [--] tip generously and you will be rewarded with a wonderful vacation. The Locals are worth every penny. Do your charity abroad. Charties are only required to give 20% of your donations to those they profess to help. Why not help out and give 100 % to your bartender , waiter of hotel staff.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Arrius
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

I had a good time. ...everything was nice....hello to Ms . Pauline. ..thanks for all your kind services. ..and to ms Sandra I enjoyed the trip down town...I'm definitely going to come again...to all the readers you can travel alone. ..to this resort they make you feel at home....food...drinks....service. ..lets not forget the smiles which all shared...thumbs up ...I felt safe and secure and comfortable.

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank toshadavall
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013 via mobile

The most Perfect place to stay while visiting Jamaica. I have stayed there several times and have enjoyed every minute each and every time.
It feels like you are visiting old friends every time you go back.
The V.I.P. check in desk ladies, Shaudae and Monique are completely on top of their game. Besides being Jamaican beauties they are extremely efficient!
They had my paperwork ready and waiting for me upon my arrival.
Their service was excellent as is all the staff who work at Sunset.
Room was spotless, food is very good there something for everyone to enjoy, entertainment every night, you will have a great time!
Going back soon and counting the days. Cant wait to be back in paradise.
My thanks to all for such a pleasant stay.
Emanuel

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Emanuel C
Brookfield, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

Just returned from a 7-day trip to Sunset Beach Resort. There were nearly 30 of us in our group (ranging from infants to adults) and we were there for a family wedding. I was a tad hesitant reading some of the reviews, but after spending the week there, there is very little to complain about. The resort is beautiful, the food is wonderful and the service was fantastic. The rooms don't have many frills, but we weren't in ours all that often. The beach is a tad rocky, but we found it very smooth all the way at the end of the beach by the garden view rooms. The drinks were great and there are several beach side bars to choose from. It was a little loud in our room at night, but it was to be expected at a large resort. The waterpark was a great way to change the beach day up a bit and even the adults had a great time on the waterslides and lazy river! Overall it is a unbelievable value - we had a week in paradise!

Room Tip: The towers have a great view, but the garden view rooms are closer to the beach and easier to go bac...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Lovetotravel773
Worthing West Sussex England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

We have just returned from a week at this hotel & had an amazing time, On arrival we were greeted with a welcome drink & check-in was hassle free. We had requested an ocean view room but, the room was not available at check-in. However, we were moved the next day to B1005 and were very pleased with the spacious room and huge bed lol!! The hotel is kept very clean and all the staff are very friendly and helpful. We found the breakfast in the morning to be the best of all the buffet meals served and, the omlettes were delicious. However, they really mix the buffet eating arrangements up including, a barbeque at the Pirates Beach Party with a Steel Band who were excellent. We ate at the snack bar a few times and found that there was quite a good choice although, the jerk chicken was a little too spicy for our liking!! We have stayed at a few AI and found that this one had by far the best variety of drinks and the cocktail of the day was a nice touch. We ate at the Asian which was lovely but, like some people have mentioned the Italian was not so good. We were kept waiting for 20 mins for our table and thought it must be busy inside. However, when we were eventually seated there were lots of spare tables so, I do not know what the hold up was. We also found the service in the Italian to be very slow. We did the Nine Mile & River Dunns Fall tour, both of which were excellent. However, we then took a taxi from the hotel to the Hip Strip (on the advice of others) which cost $20 each way but, our driver dropped us where we wanted to be and then waited for us for about 2 hours whilst we shopped. I since learnt that this is a better way to do tours as, you go to the places you want to and go straight there. I had a massage at the hotel which was reasonable and very relaxing. The beach is lovely and the water is like a bath, so warm and there are non-motorised watersports which are free of charge. There are plenty of sunbeds around the hotel so, you never have to fight for one!! The water park is an added touch and floating round the lazy river is a must. They have got Wi-Fi in the hotel but it can only be used in the lobby. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel to friends and family and, having fallen in love with Jamaica will definitley return & would most definitley stay here again. Thanks Sunset Beach for an amazing holiday.

Room Tip: We stayed in Sunset B1005. This was on the 10th floor but we had an amazing view of the ocean.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 61 in Montego Bay
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,178 reviews

Been to Sunscape Splash Montego Bay? Share your experiences!