Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Deja Resort(Montego Bay)(Great Value!)
US$210
US$191
Secrets St. James Montego Bay(Montego Bay)(Great Value!)
US$614
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay(Montego Bay)(Great Value!)
US$217
  • Breakfast included
Royal Decameron Montego Beach(Montego Bay)(Great Value!)
US$204
  • Pool
El Greco Resort(Montego Bay)
US$124
US$115
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa(Rose Hall)(Great Value!)
US$415
US$322
  • Pool
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay(Montego Bay)(Great Value!)
US$623
US$97
Half Moon(Montego Bay)(Great Value!)
US$444
US$409
Travelocity
Sunscape Cove Montego Bay(Montego Bay)(Great Value!)
US$545
US$253
Bookit.com
6,939 results
All reviewssunset beachwater parklazy riverthe grilljerk chickenitalian restaurantpirate shipgrilled cheesewater shoesswim up barkids clubsea urchinsfood was greatfamily resortfrench frieshot dogsstar resort
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 14 January 2014

I read a lot of reviews about this place before I booked. Those that were complaining seemed to be the sort that had 5 star expectations but only a 3 star budget, so I generally ignore the whiners. I am going to make this review long-winded on purpose.

Check in was a breeze. When we found out we were placed on the 1st floor, we asked if we could have a higher floor, and that was accommodated with a smile and no extra charge. In the end we stayed with the 1st floor, and no one was annoyed at our flip-flopping; instead they brought us a rum-filled drink and said "no worries, take your time, you're here, be happy with your decision"! The view of the sunset from the room was spectacular. If you aren't on the ocean front side, go ahead and request a room change, it's worth the effort to move. If you read a review that the night entertainment is too loud and plays until 2a.m., the reviewer is just whiney. We were 1st floor directly above the stage. Yes it was loud until 10p.m., but there wasn't a single night the noise lasted past 10. Anyone stating it lasted until 2a.m. must've had a one-off night? The kids slept fine and when asked, had no complaints about any noise whatsoever. We always had hot water and the pressure was fine. I don't know why people are whining about this, but I'm saying from our point of view: the water pressure was great and constantly hot.

The food was great, too! Those who whine that the buffet was too boring should examine themselves, morally. There are plenty of hungry people out there who would love to have the meal you are having, there is no need to complain (sorry to say this here, but c'mon, you know it's true!). The buffet was great and allowed you to mix up your plate enough that nothing needed to be the same two nights in a row. A la carts: Book the day you arrive for your future a la cart dates, that's common sense. If you wait until the night you're hoping to dine at an a la cart, you're going to be disappointed. I recommend the Asian. Byron's Caribbean was slow, yes, but a quick check in with ourselves and we remembered we were on "island time", and that anxious North American rushed feeling simply dissolved.

Our room was exceptionally clean and bright. I had lowered my expectations in this department, but was pleasantly surprised. Our maid was a wonderful lady who never stopped smiling. We tipped her a few bucks throughout the week, and she left some playful towel animals and used the kids' stuff as props with her creations - the kids loved the surprise each day.

The water park was a great babysitter for our pre-teens. If you have kids - even the ornery teenager - this park seemed to bring the best out of the kids. The water slides were down for a few hours the first day, but this was a good thing as it turns out they were fixing them up and grinding down the bumps, so if you read reviews that the slides rips the skin off of your back, that has been fixed, and they are as smooth as can be.

My one and only complaint, and this is to you Hotel Manager: because we were on the first floor, and there were nine floors above us, inconsiderate people constantly flicked their cigarette butts off of their balcony which of course our balcony collected. People spitting big loogies from above also seemed to neglect the impact of their actions and where their ignorance would land. So, manager, I would like to see stickers placed on the windows and balconies that ask people to consider their actions to those below them before discarding butts or spitting onto the area beneath them. Several floors of smokers tossing their butts below created a daily pile of waste that was really gross.

So, Potential Traveller, before you book, be honest with yourself: do you understand that this hotel is a great bang-for-buck place? This is NOT a 5-star resort. If you have a 3-star budget, but have high expectations, then DO NOT BOOK HERE. You are only making yourself miserable; skip this trip, continue to save and book that 5-star hotel when you are ready to pay for that service. You'll be happy you waited if you are high-maintenance. However, if you have realistic expectations and understand that this is a budget-friendly option that offers some of the friendliest staff you'll ever meet, some good food, a safe environment and some AMAZING snorkeling (you have to snorkel if you come here, swim out to the reefs about 100ft off shore - it's worth the effort), then this is the place for you. To the lady that paid $10 000+ for her family of four to stay here, I don't know how you got so hosed, but we paid just under $1000 each for 8 days, and I think we got what we paid for. We never had to wait for a beach chair at the beach or at the pool. If you book at peak season and the hotel is at capacity, be realistic and understand that the hotel is running at maximum and in those times, it's busy. In January, there were several chairs for each guest, easily.

And don't be tactless and complain about any construction. Remember, we are on vacation, but the workers are living their everyday lives. A hotel cannot ignore construction for all guests until the slow season, maintenance is a constant thing for all constructed things. I had to move my chair one day because the paint fumes were a bit strong by the pool. Moving my chair in a tropical paradise while I am tanning and sweating while someone is working around me is a 1st-world problem in a 3rd-world country - I was happy to move 20 feet and not complain. Get a grip, the construction is temporary and for the betterment of the property and all who experience it!

Last tip: People complaining about the merchants in town... If you go to a touristy area such as the Hip Strip, then you are asking to be begged for your business. A simple "I am OK, thanks" is enough to have them not ask you again. My recommendation: hire a taxi and negotiate a fair deal (the prices posted at the hotel can easily be sliced in half if you offer to buy them lunch). Tell your driver to take you to a safe place that is away from the tourists. Buy him lunch at a place of his choosing (he'll take you to a great local spot guaranteed), and go walk about a town away from the tourists and engage the local people. Don't worry, you're safe, he won't bring you to harm. Chat with the locals and realize how beautiful and friendly they are. Jamaicans are among the warmest people I have met on this planet!

I had several frank discussions with the staff. While not one of them complained about their job, and each stated they were very happy to work at the resort, they did confess that they only make $1.50 - $3.50 p/hour, and that our tip money really does make the difference for them. So please consider budgeting $100 in tip money for the week you are there. If you can afford to go to Jamaica, you can surely budget a few extra dollars to help the workers directly.

Have fun everyone, travel safely!

Room Tip: I'd ask for the ocean facing rooms. This isn't simply for the view, but because the rooms facing the other side get direct sunlight all day and the air-conditioner couldn't keep up with the hot sun.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
28  Thank tannedfeller
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Although this is not related to the hotel, we flew Air Transat and I just have to say how nice it was to fly with them. The updated planes with individual screens that allow you to view your own selection of movies/shows certainly makes the flight go by a lot quicker.
When reviewing a resort I like to keep in mind the value based on the price we paid. We paid just under $1150 (taxes in) during the first week of Jan. and based on that amount, there are very few resorts to choose from and we also lower our expectations.
I am comparing this resort against others that I have stayed at in Jamaica (Royal Decameron-Runaway Bay, Holiday Inn Sunspree- Montego Bay, Breezes-Trawlany, Bahia Principe- Runaway Bay, Riu- Ocho Rios.).

Rooms- Very nice, and very clean. Just so you know for planning:
-rooms do not have a fridge (however I know they do have some, so if you really need one inquire prior to going about getting one)
-Large screen TVs with quite a few English channels.
-There is a closet with about 9 hangers (I bring extra to hang all clothes)
-There are 3 dresser drawers
-Safety Deposit Box. You do not have pay for these, however they want your credit card information. They will charge you if you lose the key. The funny part is they took my information and then never told me they did not have a key available. You have to go back the next day or two to see if one is available. (after the morning check outs- so obviously they do not have enough for all the rooms)

Check in- it was your typical confusion- they gave us the room key, but nothing else. Had to go back for SDB key next couple of days, and then had to go back for towel cards. It would just make it so much easier if they took a few moments to explain everything and gave you all the cards/keys when you check in.

Beach- so this was my greatest disappointment with the resort. The beach sand itself along the edge is nice enough in parts (clean). Except for the odd spot, most of the areas you swim it is full of weeds. The other problem is the width of the beach area. It is very narrow and there is not a lot of area to walk along. If you’re trying to walk along the beach, you will be weaving in and out of chairs to get by.

Pools- 4 pools- Adults only with swim up bar- great for meeting others at the bar. “Lap pool” which is quiet. The activity pools with had lots of music and activities to keep you busy. Then there is the kid’s lazy river and slide pool. This area is what makes it such a great place for families with children.

Food- Always found something to eat. Again for a 3 ½ resort I would say overall the food was good. At other resorts there seems to be more Jerk chicken available and we missed having Jamaican patties. They did have some Jerk chicken at the snack bar, but it was usually just the dark meat and not the nice white meat. There is a guy that goes around selling the Jamaican patties, but at $2 apiece. We went to 2 la a carts. The Italian was excellent- we had the Lamb chops and pizza and it was so good! We went to the Asian and enjoyed the crispy chicken with the side of sweet and sour sauce and had the pork- it was very good as well. It did not seem that they were tracking the number of times you go to the la a carts and friends of ours went almost every night during their stay. We found the service to be very good in the food area, always bringing you water and asking if you want drinks. The snack bar food was pretty good, but had long line ups at times and sometimes the food was cold.

Just to note- They have the beach BBQ on Tuesday nights with the Steel Drum Band and it was very good and they have the Saturday night BBQ. You can appreciate the hours it takes for them to set these venues up. Therefore you might want to book your al a carts on different nights than these ones.

Entertainment- The steel band and the night of the Magic show was excellent. The rest of the nights were just “okay”. It is hard to pin point the difference, but at this resort we felt it lacked the “Jamaica vibe”. Even when the bands (other than the steel band) were playing, it was mostly all types of music, but very little reggae music. We love to go to Jamaica so we can listen to their music and eat their foods.

Day Trip- Because we had never been to Negril and want to book our next vacation there, we hired a cab to bring us there for the day. (cost is around $200 for Negril and Rick’s Café). We had been recommended by friends to hire Stanley to be our driver and we are so glad we did. Stanley has both a van and bus so he can accommodate just 2 people or several people. He is a union taxi employee and is mainly stationed out of the Holiday Inn Sunpree, but will provide services to anyone. Negril was absolutely beautiful. We then also went to Rick’s Café. I have never seen such beautiful color of water (my camera did not do it justice). If you’re interested in seeking Stanley’s services, his number is 1-876-868-4583. Or www.stanleystours.weebly.com I usually don’t promote people on reviews, but Stanley speaks excellent English, has spent many years in Canada as well and was so patient with our thousands of questions about Jamaica during our ride to Negril.

In summary we feel that Sunset Beaches is a great resort for those on a budget (like us) and
families with small children. We don’t want to be negative, as they do have a lot going for them, it’s just that for us, we will find a resort with a nicer beach to swim in for out next trip (with the understanding that we will need to pay more money for it)
We were in room 1009 (10th floor- the highest one) and did have an awesome view!!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank RalryToronto
Reviewed 12 January 2014

We visited Sunset Beach Resort in Montego Bay for the second time from December 15-21, 2013 (we were also there in April 2013). We had 3 adults and one 17 year old. We really enjoy this spot as it is extremely clean and well looked after and the staff is great (special thanks to the staff at the guest services and Coswayne at the front!) We enjoy the snorkelling available right on the beach and the great fish life you can see without leaving the resort. We visited the Italian a la carte and had a great meal; all other meals we had at the buffet were standard buffet meals; however, hot and lots of variety. We also enjoyed, as return visitors, a dinner with the managers which was lovely. We took a day trip booked through guest services with Chukka on their dune buggy afternoon trip. Saw lots of the country and hillsides and an old sugar can plantation. Be prepared to get wet (especially if you are the passenger!). Also took a shopping tour and as always a visit to Margarita Ville. We also enjoy that the resort is close to the airport; so once you arrive in Montego Bay, you are at the resort in no time. We will definitely return in the future as we have had nothing but good experiences here.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Carol L
Reviewed 12 January 2014

This is located close to the airport. I have been here numerous times and will continue to return at least once a year with my family. Rooms are beautiful and clean. Meals are creative and enjoyable. The view is breath-taking.

Room Tip: This is really a nice hotel. Everything clean. Activities for all members of the family. Great meals and choice of beverages. The beach area for swimming does not have rocks; it's a roped off area with a depth of at least 5 feet.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank understandinglife
Reviewed 11 January 2014

While there is not anything really wrong with Sunset Beach, this resort is definitely old and tired. The beds were lumpy, the bathroom had bugs and lacked water pressure (had to rinse out the facecloth in the tub rather than the basin) and the décor was dated. The pools and hot tub were murky. The fitness centre was downright sad, only two of the 10-12 cardio machines actually worked.
I had always heard that Jamaica people were a very happy and friendly crew - that was not our experience, while most people we encountered were pleasant, some of the staff (bartenders and excursion personnel) were downright surly.
Most surprising to us was that the food at the buffet was far superior to the a la carte restaurants, in fact one evening we left our plates in the restaurant and headed for the buffet. Overall the food was completely edible, but certainly nothing to get excited about - never went for seconds and found dessert easy to skip.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends