“Definitely a family resort” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sunscape Splash Montego Bay

Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
Ranked #17 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
Sudbury, Canada
“Definitely a family resort”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

My wife and I spent a week here at the beginning of December and while we enjoyed our stay we would probably only return if we were accompanied by our young grandsons who would have thoroughly enjoyed this resort. We had checked in online before leaving Canada and this made checkin a breeze on arrival. Staff very friendly and helpful and some of the best we've seen. They weren't able to meet our request for a higher floor with king size bed but we were very happy with the corner room (511 Tower B) which gave us views of the ocean and the bay. We enjoyed the variety of food offered at the buffet and did not try any of the a la carte. Loved the jerk chicken at the snack bar. We did one day trip with Jamaica Tours. Visited YS Falls, took a boat trip on the Black River to see crocodiles and visited the Appleton Rum factory. Some people on the mini bus found the 2 hr trip each way was too long and the road too windy and stops had to be made for those that were getting queasy. It didn't bother us and in fact we quite enjoyed the scenic views and seeing more of Jamaica.
This was our first time on the island, we would return but not to this resort. Recommend water shoes be worn as there are sea urchins in the weeds close to shore!

Room Tip: Corner suite (11) gives views of ocean and bay.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Alan C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,377)
  • Polish first
Amherstburg, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

We stayed at the Resort from Jan 18-25 2014 through an Air Canada Vacations package out of Winnipeg. We booked last minute.
Check-in was very quick and our prior request for a higher floor was granted without question. We did not receive our "Welcome Cocktail" or our "In-room beach towels" as described in our package but this was not a big deal as there was a bar in the lobby and towels available pool-side.
Room - We were on the 7th floor of the "B" Tower. To say the room was tired is an understatement, the room was exhausted. Decorations were sparse and the fit and finish were mediocre at best. We had a corner room with a view of the Port and the city but also a fantastic view of the Ocean from the corner. We only use our room for sleeping and showering so again not a big deal. Water pressure was good and we suffered no power Black-outs during our stay.

Staff and Service - better than expected, everyone was friendly. The Entertainment Staf were as good, if not better, then higher-end Resorts and Cruises we have previously taken. Tipping is welcome but does not seem to change the level of service which I found strange?

Beach is again mediocre but was well maintained with many free water activities available. We spent most of our time around the activity pool and the Adult only swim up bar pool. The weather was terrible the entire week we were there and accounted for part of the reason we did not use the beach very much. We did use the free Sea Kayaks on one of the calm days which we enjoyed very much.

Food - better than expected! Buffet had many options available including made-to-order stations. We always found something flavourful and hot to eat. We attended the Italian and Asian Al-a-cartes. I became ill during the Italian restaurant meal (I believe it was the Caesar salad as my wife and i had different appetizers) but my wife was fine. The Asian restaurant was very good.

We chose this property due to the inexpensive package deal offered and we felt the property was as good, if not better, than we expected for the money that we paid.

Room Tip: Join the Properties loyalty club before arrival and request a room on a higher floor.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Packfanq
Saint John, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014

You're sitting on the beach for dinner and the pool area is designed to be close to the ocean and to take advantage of that feeling. The reef is like 300 feet offshore and there are some nice fish to see. The water over the reef is quite shallow but you can still swim over most parts if you keep afloat well.
The food is not as good as Mexico but I kind of liked the break from eating too much. I still ate too much but not like in Mexico. Jerk chicken is great. The restaurants there at the resort are excellent. They open at 6 PM so if you're a diabetic you can still plan your meal times. The buffet doesn't open until 6:30 PM for supper so it might start getting late.

We went to the Martha Brae river raft tour which was good. Not too far and roads around Montego Bay going between cities are in great condition. So travel in between is not unpleasant. We went to a Jazz festival that were advertised in the lobby. It was excellent! Tony Braxton was the highlight on Friday night. We had to leave or I would have gone to the Saturday show which had lots of big stars from the USA. The equipment for the stage was rented from the UK and it was fantastic. Go see the Jazz fest next year you won't be disappointed. You can buy one ticket good for three nights for less.
Shuttle service to the Hip strip shopping is $5/person from the resort or walk outside and pay $2.50. It is a per person price. If it is only one maybe you will pay a little more.
The entertainment is excellent at this resort. The girl there knows how to do that but shaking thing some can do. When she came out in a bikini at the fashion show I felt a little dreamy.

Room Tip: Go for the higher rooms for the view. You can't go wrong either looking to the sea or at the ci...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Murray D
Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014

My husband and I just returned from this property- I am a travel agent and wanted to check things out for myself. First I have to say check in was a breeze, within minutes we were shown to our room which was tower B tenth floor- beautiful view of the ocean and the marina. Room was clean, our patio door did not want to close but after a phone call to the front desk a young man was at our door within 10 minutes, fixing the problem. We usually had hot water anytime of day. Elevators are slow but no problem- you are in Jamaica!
The beaches were nice, always found a lounge chair, lots of activities by the main pool area. Vendors daily in that area but never tried to push anything, very polite.
Food was average, nothing had a wow factor but a person didn't go hungry, they had a gala one evening which I found the best food for the week, breakfast was the best.
We tried the Asian alacarte and found it to be very good, no long wait for our food and presentation and quality was superb.
We took a tour with Chukka tours, great company would highly recommend them. The staff showed me their wedding spots which were very nice for a destination wedding.
Unfortunately it rained for 3 out of our 7 days but that was not the resorts fault. Camille from sales, Nardia from the teen center, Denisha from the serving area all deserve a big pat on the back. Camille also sings and has a beautiful voice.
Entertainment was just ok, but we did find something every evening to watch, sound system was to loud and hard to understand people.
I would definitely recommend this property to families of all ages, they have a laundry facility on site, and showers for late departures. I would definitely return to this resort

Room Tip: Tower B upper floors
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank GrammyJudi
Northwich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014

The resort is about a 25 minute transfer from the airport depending on traffic. There is nothing in the immediate vicinity of the hotel except another hotel so you would have to get a taxi to other bars & shops. The main entrance to resort is through a manned security gate, all visitors have to be signed in/out. Guests must sign out if leaving the resort and exit through a turnstile. Security staff were very friendly and helpful.

Reception: check in after 3pm, staff were very friendly and efficient. They explained the facilities, key information about the resort and gave you an information leaflet. Be prepared to wait 20 – 30 minutes at busy times. A Concierge service is available for luggage and taxi bookings. At check in you are expected to provide a credit card in case of any room charges. Check out is by 11am, late checkout can be booked if available at an extra charge.

From the main lobby (large open area) there is access to cashier, games room, gift shops, salon / spa & gym, laundry, excursion booking office, internet café, restaurants and Sunrise & Sunset Towers (rooms). The exteriors of the towers were in need of repair & upgrade and looked a bit shabby.

4 restaurants available: Banana Walk (main) – buffet style hot / cold food, open 7-10am, 12 – 2.30pm and 6.30 – 10pm. Good selection of hot / cold food and plenty of it. Although they were not always quick to replenish empty trays especially later in the evening. Breakfast and lunch choices were practically the same each day, dinner was better with different themes. Large selection of drinks & cocktails available at all the bars that were all part of the All - Inclusive.
Sunset Beach Grill: 11am – 6pm and 10pm – 2am for fast food etc. A la Carte restaurants have to be booked in advance and seating times are 6, 7, 8 & 9pm each evening. They are Silk Road (Pan-Asian cuisine) – limited menu choices but well-presented and great service, La Bella Vita (Italian) – more menu choices & great service and Byron’s (Caribbean fusion).

Two lifts to all floors in each tower, which were fairly quick but again be prepared to wait at busy times up to 20 minutes.

Pool with swim up bar: area maintained quite well although the pool was not always that clean after they had cleaned it! Toilets could do with some repairs, locks on doors were temperamental and I got stuck in one! All pools were very busy and the pool adjacent to the waterpark was always very noisy! Pool towels are provided on presentation of a card given at check in.
Other outdoor facilities include: mini golf, playground, large chess & draughts (checkers), table tennis and tennis courts.

Entertainment: there was something on each night organised by the staff. Outside performers were available but not all nights. It was generally OK but not that great. I would describe this as “holiday camp” style entertainment.

Room B911 in Sunset tower had a corner balcony with a great view of the ocean and cruise ship dock. Room décor was basic but all main facilities were provided. The facilities included: 2 double beds, large satellite TV & remote, air conditioning unit & remote, tea / coffee tray, safe (key from reception), iron & board, spacious main area with large open closet and drawers. This room has a connecting door to room B910 so noises could be heard from the next room.

Balcony: open railings and plastic table & 2 chairs provided. Great view of ocean, pool area below and adjacent cruise ship port. Room is above the back of the main lobby area so some noise was heard at night. Most room doors were ill fitting and guests had to bang / slam the doors shut which obviously disturbed other guests. Room B911 was one of these rooms.
Balcony door was a bit stiff to open & close and did not fit correctly in the door frame so it rattled when it was windy. There was a daily maid service but sometimes this could be quite late in the day, around 4 – 5pm!

This hotel was offered to me as an alternative to the hotel I actually booked due to that hotel’s closure at Christmas. Although the Sunset provided all the facilities expected, this is not the sort of hotel I would book personally. It is definitely not my idea of a relaxing / quiet and peaceful holiday but it would be ideal for families and large parties who want a great All-Inclusive deal with everything on site.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Purrdee
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014

This review comes a bit late.Stayed here Sept. 25th to the 29th 2013. First off, I have to say that I was a bit skeptical about going to this hotel but now I won't stop going. After perusing the reviews on here and other review sites, I was completely scared. However, upon arrival to the hotel, I totally relaxed.
Check-In
Went completely smooth. They were polite and answered all our questions knowledgeably.
Room
The rooms are spacious enough, and very intimate if you're looking for that kind of a setting. The A/C worked fine, maybe too well. I did have one problem however, I got two doubles instead of a king although I called several times before arrival for a king. But that wasn't anything to write home about. Housekeeping came on time and did a good job... Adequate towels were left and all
As a Jamaican, I can truly appreciate good Jamaican cuisine and they had it perfected! I enjoyed every meal although I wanted to take some to the room but that isn't allowed. Sad
Beach and Pools
I'm not much of a beach person however, I can tell you the beach here is beautiful. The pools were nice and the waterpark really brought out my inner child.
Staff
I think they were polite enough, never really went to talk to staff so they didn't bother me. There was one waiter in the Italian restaurant however that helped to make my anniversary night wonderful. Don't remember his name but I still wanna tell him thanks.

Overall, I had a wonderful time and I will definitely be going back for my next anniversary!

Room Tip: Get a room with a view...Wasn't fortunate enough to get that
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Alaina H
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014 via mobile

A friend and I stayed from Jan12-26, 2014. We had an amazing vacation @ Sunset. Our room was not fancy, a little old, but was always spotless. The cleaning staff always did a fantastic job of removing the sand we dragged in and had fresh towels daily.

The food at the buffet had a lot of variety and was always hot and delicious. Jerk chicken, jerk pork mmmmm. The servers always went out of their way to make sure we had anything we needed, especially Ricardo. The a la carte restaurants were decent as well. We never left hungry. The snack bar always had great food between meal times when you needed to soak up some of the fantastic RUM drinks.
The bartenders by the main pool were always smiling and happy to make you a drink, Dionne was always asking how the holiday was going and if we needed anything.
The entertainment staff staff were very friendly and would always ask if we wanted to join the activities, but not pushy if we declined. Dominic is always smiling, full of energy, and will sit down and have a conversation anytime.
Carlena at the towel hut is the sweetest lady. She was always checking in on how we were doing and asking about our lives back home. She even gave suggestions on what to see while in Jamaica.
The water sports staff do an amazing job of keeping the beach clean and are very friendly. I wanted to go out on the boat but weather wasn't co operating for a few days but when it changed, Clay,water sports staff, came and took me and my friend out immediately. Also offered to take us snorkeling if we wanted. He went above and beyond to make sure we enjoyed our stay at Sunset
I would definitely return to sunset resort. It was an enjoyable, relaxing and beautiful vacation. Jamaica is more stunning then I ever imagined.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
3.5 of 5 bubbles 5,784 reviews
Melia Braco Village
Melia Braco Village
#1 of 1 in Rio Bueno

Been to Sunscape Splash Montego Bay? Share your experiences!