“Good value for the money, I would return with children” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sunscape Splash Montego Bay

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
Ranked #17 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
Carlsile, PA
“Good value for the money, I would return with children”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2014

I traveled with 5 other adults and I read all the reviews before arriving. I was scared because this hotel got some bad reviews. Well, I am glad that we went and I would return next time with my grandchildren!
Hotel - room 906A has two double beds and the best view I have ever had in all my travels! Corner room with view of mountains, sea, and pool. Air conditioner worked great, bed was good, spacious, and kept very clean by Pauline (thanks).wish I had taken my own fluffy pillow! 905 and 904A. Have king beds and great views also.
Food- good buffet at breakfast and lunch. Especially great omelet station in the morning. Fruits, cheese, salads, and hot foods were good. Desserts were a disappointment.
Specialty restaurants were ok.... Be prepared to spend 2 hours for dinner. Limited menu
Outdoor BBQ was great. BBQ chicken and ribs were delicious and the setting was fabulous with the sunset. The dessert there was good. Steel drum music and balancing act was great.
Pools - the adult swim up bar pool was fine as were all the other pools. The activity pool had things going on all day IF you wanted to participate.
Hot tub- was tooo hot all but one day. Could not get in comfortably.
Water park - they say that the hotel was full too capacity, if that is true there were not many children there! I rarely saw the children and they were certainly not a problem. At meal time they were all polite and behaved. We adults went to the lazy river and slides and did not have to push any children out of the way ( just kidding)
Bars- they are several bars around the property so you didn't have to walk far for a drink. They serve Gilbys gin and Skyy vodka and j&b scotch as top shelve. NO limes! We are gin and tonic drinkers and we begged for a lime all week. SORRY. Finally a massage person brought some in from home!! Thank you. Bring your own mug from home because the cups are small and the ice melts quickly.
Service- ask for Mrs. Walters if you have a problem or Mr. Leon Golding Gm. You may get some help solving your problems. Servers were polite but not overly attentive. Bar servers were cordial but not overly. There is no pool or beach bar service so you have to get your own!
Be careful if you play zuma zuma drinking game, it can put you on your butt! 4 4 !
Beach- not the greatest but there are plenty of places to get into the water if you like the
Ocean water. It was very comfortable. We snorkled off the beach and went out pretty far and saw some pretty fish and a stingray but have been in ocho's rios and saw many more beautiful sea creatures. We took water shoes but did not put them on. There are plenty of beach chairs at the pool and beach, but not a lot of shade. I am an early riser so I got shade everyday. Pool towels were plentiful and never a problem. Trade pool towel for towel card each day.
Entertainment- just okay. Early risers don't see many shows at night! I would rather get up early and see the sun rise and go to bed early! Also if you go to the specialty restaurants you will never be out in time to go to the show (two hour minimum to eat)
Spa- we all took advantage of the spa and had a great experience with Melicia ( thank you) Ask for her
In closing, we never left the property except to go to margauritaville. It was fun and no cover during the day.
Parasailing 60 us and if you never did it....maybe you should try it!
We all were satisfied with the six days and five nights that we spent in Montego Bay. It is nice that you are only 15 minutes from the airport and not wasting a day traveling to your hotel. W e would return if your looking for a good price for an all inclusive.

Room Tip: Sunset tower 906A has double beds and excellent view ( corner room balcony ocean view) 904A and 905...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank stefuni1953

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,377)
  • Polish first
Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2014

My husband and I just got home last night from Sunset Beach...what a wonderful week we had. Everyone was so nice and helpful! Byron is the best bartender, Janease (our maid on the 10th floor) was just a sweetheart and all the ladies at the guest services desk were top notch! We have traveled all over Mexico and have been to the Dominican...the food here was the very best! Jerk chicken is melt in your mouth, spicy delicious!!! Our only complaint was our first night they put us in a room right over the lobby bar,,,didn't sleep at all, the noise just echoed all night long. Asked first thing in the morning to be moved and we did upgrade to an ocean view room (for a price of course!) and it was absolutely perfect!! We were disappointed in the beaches, very rocky and not good swimming areas due to all the vegetation in the water. Overall though, we had a great time, and I got to celebrate turning 50 in Jamaica!!!

Room Tip: When checking in, ask where your room will be located...you don't want to have your room facing...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank IowaBeachBunny
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2014

The resort was great, the food was great, facilities and pools were kept clean. The resort does show its age, with some tiles falling off the pool edge, and the stone at the bar being roughly replaced, but still very nice! About half of the staff were great, others wouldn't step out of their way to ask if you needed help or service - mostly the front desk, the info desk, the money exchange centre and the bartenders.
The front desk staff were very, very slow. We needed to wait until check out the next day to get a safe lock due to shortages.
The bartenders were slow in serving also, but the drinks made were good, and no shortage of rum - drinks definitely were not watered down! One bartender was giving me attitude, after I had tipped him the day before, then I found out it was because he was hitting on my wife when I wasn't around - no worries, it made her feel good! LOL!
Room maids were great, a room fridge would have been nice.
Ocean was not the best for snorkelling, not the most colourful reef - covered in green algae, you may have to got out farther - not sure.
They have a lot of activities available right on the beach - parasailing, wind surfing, paddle boats, etc - this was great!
The nightly shows were great - good variety!
Excursions were ok, price was high for what you get. Dolphin cove was average, Munn falls was ok, not much of a challenge, good for kids. Chukka, Good Hope excursion was great, the history alone was worth the trip (zip line, ATVing, gift shop prices were reasonable, great staff).
There is so much history here, but I find a lot of the locals don't know much about it, but when you find the right person, there is so much interesting history to learn!
All in all, the good out weighed the bad, I would definitely go back to this resort, however, not so sure I would go back to Jamaica. Great place to visit, but maybe only once.

Room Tip: Get an ocean view or side - there are some rooms that are under the canopy facing into the reception...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014 via mobile

Very friendly resort ! Staff was exceptional ! Everyone was extremely friendly and helpful ! Beautiful beach and lots of fun for kids ! Many pools to chose from. Food in the buffet was very good ! Our favorite meal was the outdoor cookout buffet ! Excellent BBQ ! My kids, ages 3 & 5 loved everything about the resort !

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Manderz145
Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

The majority of reviews come in as VERY GOOD. Like, thousands! As usual, I read the various reviews and wondered what we would actually find. Well, the people who complain about seaweed in the water, and touts at the airport should have left their passport in the drawer. I was expecting a scrum like you see in Delhi (as in India) based on some reviews on here, and for heavens sake, there were about 20 cabbies! So Jamaica is awesome if you know what to expect and you aren't a person who just got their passport last week. We walked around some and also took the bus to Kingston with my 14 and 15 year old -- NO issues -- we got a cab at the bus stop by asking the driver to refer us -- no biggie. Is it Zurich? No!
Sunset Beach Resort in Montego -- this is a charming place, and no, it is not the Ritz Carlton! And no, it is not a Florida beach. Duh. If you want to snorkel you won't find that in a big Florida beach anyway. You would have to go to the Keys and guess what ... it is the same kind of smaller tropical beach. Sunset has a variety of lovely sand and gentle waves great for little kids, and further out decent snorkeling right off the beach. Really good reefs are a boat ride away, and that you can't find in the Keys anymore.
OK so here is the big point about Sunset Resort -- this place is special. Maybe I could even say quaint. Just thinking about the lanai (well that is what I called the covered breezeway between the two towers) ... so relaxing. I really like the pride the local employees take in what they are doing there. I love the "Sunset Beach Craft Initiative" where people come in with their own handicrafts to sell.
I think folks who were let down expected the glossy GENERIC all-inclusive setting. Sunset is a little worn,but just a little. Our room was clean and so was every place there I saw. I like some personality in a stay ... along with all my Mod Cons! I loved the guys staffing the snorkel and sail area, and the ladies inside who answered plenty of questions. And especially the people who ran the teen room, My daughter had cool conversations about life in Jamaica with the young ladies there. In a place where every minute is scripted, that would not have happened. We will be back with both kids - they loved the slides!
And you know what was unexpected? The food is fresh with many local specialties. I have a special diet and the local foods, salads, and fruits along with jerk chicken and tons of kid stuff kept the kids and me happy. The night shows were hysterical too. The staff is very nice and they really learned what visitors like as far as customer service goes, and this is certainly NOT the case in many countries I have traveled to.
So we can't wait to go back. I want to take tennis next time, and go sailing again.
The only thing I would say to watch out for is, don't buy the calling card! I never did get it to stop cutting off. Tell people you will send them emails and get the week of wifi. It is worth it also to check out from the e-world altogether.

Room Tip: All have good views.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank Roamin_Gal
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

I went to the Sunset resort to celebrate my birthday and oh what a wonderful time I had. The staff was so very accommodating. I even had the saxophone player play happy birthday for me while other patrons sang "Happy Birthday". The food there is excellent and though I did not take the all inclusive, when I did eat at the restaurant the food was tasty and presented well. I was also very surprised at the high quality of the nightly entertainment. Every night there was great entertainment. I was so thrilled with my stay there that I do intend to go back. Kudos to your staff for making your guests feel special.

Room Tip: Get a unit facing the lagoon.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank carmeta a
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

This is my third time staying at the Sunset Beach Resort.The first time was several years ago. The second time was for my birthday in January and my most recent visit was March 21 -24, 2014. I must say I have never been disappointed in any of my visits.The rooms are nice and the food is good. What makes this resort so special is the employees. They go above and beyond to make sure your stay is most enjoyable. Starting with breakfast in the morning with Clinton. He makes the most amazing omelets. He knows how to add just the right amount of hot sauce to make a very delicious omelet. While hanging out in the lobby I met a nice employee by the name of Coswayne. He made my daughter and I feel so welcomed. He stopped by and asked us how we were doing. He told us if we needed anything to come see him and he would make sure we were taken care of. We were very impressed! I would also like to thank Sheree who works in the the Caribbean restaurant. She really helped my friends make my birthday very special back in January. From the entertainer singing happy birthday to me to birthday cake with a candle to blow out. It was the best birthday ever! I made sure I found her on this visit to thank her again. She is such a sweet girl. I would also like to mention Everth who had a smile and a hello every time we passed him. Last but not least Monique Gail who checked us out on our last day. Not only did she make the checking out process very smooth, she was very personable and had me laughing even though I was very sad to be leaving such a wonderful resort. Whenever I return to Montego bay I will definitely be staying at Sunset Beach.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3.5 of 5 bubbles 5,783 reviews
Melia Braco Village
Melia Braco Village
#1 of 1 in Rio Bueno

Been to Sunscape Splash Montego Bay? Share your experiences!