“2 Stars or Less for Sunset Beach, Montego Bay” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sunscape Splash Montego Bay

Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
Ranked #17 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
Los Angeles, CA
“2 Stars or Less for Sunset Beach, Montego Bay”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2004

We stayed at Sunset Beach May 19th-23rd, 2004. How do I say this nicely - if you're used to traveling to 3-Star or better resorts/hotels - this place is not for you. Sunset Beach is a simple hotel with no frills. The rooms were clean - but sparsely furnished...think Motel 6 with some Caribbean color. The front desk service was mediocre to say the best as we waited HOURS to check into our requested room type (adjoining) - only to find our two rooms located on opposite ends of the floor. When inquiring about the snafu, the mistake was blamed on US!..by even the management. The bartenders and waitstaff were courteous, kind and efficient - but the menu lacked substance and variation from day to day. Basically - this was summer camp with drinks. Sunset Beach is fine for a place just to crash while traveling around the island - I can't imagine being stuck there for more than 4 days.

• Stayed May 2004
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Filmchick66

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,376)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2004

Sunset Beach was fabulous.The service was fantastic,the food was well varied and very good.The 2 resturants were great as well.If you have allergies make sure you state that at the resturaunts while ordering especially if they're life threatning.The beach services were ok,if you knew who to use them.My family enjoyed the beach but I didn't.The drinks were very good but you had to state VERY clearly if you want or don't want alcohol.The staff was friendly and helpful and there english was good.We are planning a second trip back to Sunset Beach soon.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2004

What a wonderful place to relax! My husband and I went to Sunset 5/3-5/7 for our one year anniversary. First time out of the U.S and a great place to go for the first time. The resort is beautiful and clean and the people are friendly.
However, make sure you bring extra cash for the tours off of the resort which can range from $30 per person and up, unless you choose to take a taxi (not sure of price).
The resort is not walking distance to shopping so be prepared to pay to get off the resort because the gift shops are ridiculously expensive (i paid $15 for a small bottle of sunblock)
I would say Sunset Beach resort and spa is great for older couples and families, but for young adults and teens it may seem a little slow paced. We found ourselves bored, yet relaxed, after 2 days. Despite that, we got plenty of sleep and ate very, very well.
The chinese and the italian cuisine was excellent and because of the all-inclusive package we ate as much as we wanted and of course drink as much as you want:). (Try the hummingbird! mmmm!) The banana walk was great but make sure you make reservations at both restaurants first.
Not that much Jamacian cuisine offered (suprisingly) and the nightly entertainment consisted of local bands and art auctions which all ended at 11pm. Other than that, I would definetely recommend! however, personally I would like to try something different next time. Have Fun!!!

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2004

My wife and I stayed at Sunset Beach from 5/13 to 5/16. We have stayed in a number of 5 star resorts and did not have real high expectations. We were both pleasantly surprised. The rooms were clean and functional and the AC worked. The cable TV did not work right away but was fixed promptly when we mentioned it. I thought the staff was very friendly. Just because they don't jump up and down every time they see you doesn't make them un-friendly. Treat them with the respect everyone deserves and they do the same. I did tip about half the time but did not notice any difference in service. The food was very good and the jerk pork and chicken were fantastic. The pools were somewhat quiet but the people we met were friendly to talk to. The beach area was longer than I had pictured and the rocks some people mentioned were small and few. Do be careful if you go in the water. There are sea urchins in the water but they are easy to spot. I brought along water shoes but just walked in with my flip flops and that did the trick. We never did see any jelly fish.
We tried the au-natural beach and found it to be very secluded and people left you alone. Everyone seemed to pick out their own area and stayed in it. We did bring the insulated drink mugs and they came in very handy. We went to both the Chinese and Italian restaurants and both were very good. We also did the booze cruise/snorkeling trip and had a great time. I would say this was the best time we had on the trip. We went back to Margaritaville that night and were disappointed. We expected it to be like Carlos and Charlies or Senoir Frogs. It is more like a normal club. Overall it was a very good time and we would go back. People who complain about the resort -- I think they will complain about anything. You won't be pampered here but for the price it was a very good buy.

5 Thank Tim H
US
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2004

Sunset beach resort and spa was wonderful.
The rooms were ok, but who's going for the rooms.
The Italian and oriental restaurants were great. I can't complain about any of the food. There was plenty of choices at the buffets. The beaches were rocky once you got into the water. The staff was great. Of course you had some that go out of their way to help and you have others that don't.
It was a great vacation and I will go back.

• Stayed April 2004
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2004

My husband and I went to Jamaica for our six year anniversary. This was our first trip out of the USA. So we didn't know what to expect.
We stayed at the Sunset Beach Resort 5-9/5-12-04.
We had a wonderful time. Relaxing. I was disappointed I didn't eat any Jamaican food, such as curry chicken and beef patties, but the food was average. We had a Garden/Mountain view on the tenth floor in Tower A. We where in a corner room, so we had a view of the ocean, which was wonderful. The room was basic and the air condition worked!! For the time spent in the room it was o.k. The staff is not overtly friendly, especially the front desk. No one is rude though. I guess because you are there to relax and not be hassled. Overall our stay was pleasant. It doesn't have a hotel feel, and that was good. If you are looking to be waited on hand and foot, this is not the place.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2004

Well, it was a week of wonderful, relaxing, rejuvinating, SUNSHINE, food, & drinks! We went (my husband myself & our 13 & 16 year old sons & my sister-in-law & brother-in-law) April 21st thru the 28th. We also brought our own cups as advised, but switched back to their smaller ones, since it seemed we slurped them up just as fast (boy, how those frozen drinks seem to go down so well). We all enjoyed the snorkeling (each our first time) and had PLENTY of food to eat and drinks to drink the entire time. I agree that they need "playmakers" like some of the other resorts (we had been to Sandals & everyone --guests & staff were much more involved in the activities). There was a huge gap for entertainment for the above 12 year old crowd, but we also went just as everyone was finishing up their spring breaks. Our boys enjoyed their freedom and had their own adjoining room which gave us our total privacy and bringing along our walkie-talkies was a real hit. It allowed them to go swim, eat, play pool, tennis, checkers, ping pong, & volleyball together without us feeling we needed them to tag along or be constantly look for them. We traveled with my sister-in-law & her husband and were put in seperate towers (not how we booked it thru Expedia). Our room wasn't ready and when it finally was, we had two double beds and not the king we had reserved--they moved us, but we felt this should have been taken care of in advance. Water temperature for the showers is not perfect, so I wouldn't recommend this resort to a high maintenance woman, but who needs to be high maintenance when you are soaking up the sun and swimming and relaxing the entire week? Since we had been to Sandals Royal Caribbean 17 years ago to get married, we were quite skeptical about this 3 star resort, but when compared to the Sandals Beaches resorts that allows families, we saved almost $3,000 by staying at the Sunset----WELL worth the savings! Would I go again? CERTAINLY!!! I would just plan for a school break when the majority of other schools are out so kids can also socialize if you bring them. Our boys got along better that week than they ever have at home and they say they would go again. Over all we had a FABULOUS time! I couldn't begin to tell you how relaxing it was as a parent and bringing our kids along. Don't hesitate, we're so glad we let them have the experience too. You can bargain with the vendors, but watch out. I thought I got a great deal on a beaded necklace & bracelet for $8 together (they wanted $15 for the necklace and $8 for the bracelet) but found something similiar at Walmart when we returned for Under $5 for a matching set & no pressure! If only the natives would just let you look and not make any comments unless you had questions, I feel I would have bought more items, but didn't feel like looking since I didn't want to be pressured. Also I would question their authenticity since my sister-in-law bought a necklace that had a small sticky tag on it that said "Made in the Philippines" :( We went to the Dunns River Falls and it has become so commercialized compared to our first trip. We paid more thru Expedia than it cost to purchase the tickets at the resort. A great idea is to get about 20 Jamaican $50 bills to bring back to friends & family. They are colorful and they won't realize that the bill cost less than $1 American. We wish we had done that. Buy your rum at the airport duty free. Have a great time and feel free to e-mail me if you like.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
#1 of 1 in Ironshore
3.5 of 5 bubbles 5,782 reviews

Been to Sunscape Splash Montego Bay? Share your experiences!