Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
Ranked #23 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Reviewed 26 May 2004

Well, sunset beach resort

We had a great time, just returned today after six days. the weather was great, beautiful sunsets! I see where the resort got it's name.

We requested the west wing, simply because it's quieter and away from all the activity, our first floor room was ready upon arrival and clean. nothing fancy, but had a ocean view from the deck.
There's a lot of construction going on, but that didn't detract from anything, show's managements concern in keeping the property up.

The banana walk had a variety of foods, jamaican cusine primarily, the food was fresh and tasty, the staff friendly and professional. as was the grill, kudos to "KEVIN". the silk road chinese restaurant
was ok, nothing extraordinary there, but Botecelli's was wonderful, excellent food, try the chicken parmesan. good service too. be sure to reserve your dinner at these two as soon as you get to the resort, they fill up fast.

There could be some improvement on the activities, although the entertainment was great.
not a place for singles, or children. more of a couples resort.

The johns hall tour was excellent, you get to tour the countryside and have an authentic jamaican lunch. the jerk chicken and pork was great.

Kudos also to Felisia a wonderful entertinment host.

I could go on, all in all we had a great time, don't bother with maugariteville, it's a rip off. shopping at the resort at the craft market was pleasant, downtown montego bay was to pressuring by vendors in their shops.

Go, you'll enjoy this place, sunning on the beach, the water sports, all cool. value wise, about average.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (6,864)

Reviewed 25 May 2004

We stayed at Sunset Beach May 19th-23rd, 2004. How do I say this nicely - if you're used to traveling to 3-Star or better resorts/hotels - this place is not for you. Sunset Beach is a simple hotel with no frills. The rooms were clean - but sparsely furnished...think Motel 6 with some Caribbean color. The front desk service was mediocre to say the best as we waited HOURS to check into our requested room type (adjoining) - only to find our two rooms located on opposite ends of the floor. When inquiring about the snafu, the mistake was blamed on US!..by even the management. The bartenders and waitstaff were courteous, kind and efficient - but the menu lacked substance and variation from day to day. Basically - this was summer camp with drinks. Sunset Beach is fine for a place just to crash while traveling around the island - I can't imagine being stuck there for more than 4 days.

• Stayed: May 2004
2  Thank Filmchick66
Nova Scotia, Canada
Reviewed 23 May 2004

Sunset Beach was fabulous.The service was fantastic,the food was well varied and very good.The 2 resturants were great as well.If you have allergies make sure you state that at the resturaunts while ordering especially if they're life threatning.The beach services were ok,if you knew who to use them.My family enjoyed the beach but I didn't.The drinks were very good but you had to state VERY clearly if you want or don't want alcohol.The staff was friendly and helpful and there english was good.We are planning a second trip back to Sunset Beach soon.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Richmond, VA
Reviewed 23 May 2004

What a wonderful place to relax! My husband and I went to Sunset 5/3-5/7 for our one year anniversary. First time out of the U.S and a great place to go for the first time. The resort is beautiful and clean and the people are friendly.
However, make sure you bring extra cash for the tours off of the resort which can range from $30 per person and up, unless you choose to take a taxi (not sure of price).
The resort is not walking distance to shopping so be prepared to pay to get off the resort because the gift shops are ridiculously expensive (i paid $15 for a small bottle of sunblock)
I would say Sunset Beach resort and spa is great for older couples and families, but for young adults and teens it may seem a little slow paced. We found ourselves bored, yet relaxed, after 2 days. Despite that, we got plenty of sleep and ate very, very well.
The chinese and the italian cuisine was excellent and because of the all-inclusive package we ate as much as we wanted and of course drink as much as you want:). (Try the hummingbird! mmmm!) The banana walk was great but make sure you make reservations at both restaurants first.
Not that much Jamacian cuisine offered (suprisingly) and the nightly entertainment consisted of local bands and art auctions which all ended at 11pm. Other than that, I would definetely recommend! however, personally I would like to try something different next time. Have Fun!!!

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 19 May 2004

My wife and I stayed at Sunset Beach from 5/13 to 5/16. We have stayed in a number of 5 star resorts and did not have real high expectations. We were both pleasantly surprised. The rooms were clean and functional and the AC worked. The cable TV did not work right away but was fixed promptly when we mentioned it. I thought the staff was very friendly. Just because they don't jump up and down every time they see you doesn't make them un-friendly. Treat them with the respect everyone deserves and they do the same. I did tip about half the time but did not notice any difference in service. The food was very good and the jerk pork and chicken were fantastic. The pools were somewhat quiet but the people we met were friendly to talk to. The beach area was longer than I had pictured and the rocks some people mentioned were small and few. Do be careful if you go in the water. There are sea urchins in the water but they are easy to spot. I brought along water shoes but just walked in with my flip flops and that did the trick. We never did see any jelly fish.
We tried the au-natural beach and found it to be very secluded and people left you alone. Everyone seemed to pick out their own area and stayed in it. We did bring the insulated drink mugs and they came in very handy. We went to both the Chinese and Italian restaurants and both were very good. We also did the booze cruise/snorkeling trip and had a great time. I would say this was the best time we had on the trip. We went back to Margaritaville that night and were disappointed. We expected it to be like Carlos and Charlies or Senoir Frogs. It is more like a normal club. Overall it was a very good time and we would go back. People who complain about the resort -- I think they will complain about anything. You won't be pampered here but for the price it was a very good buy.

5  Thank Tim H
Reviewed 18 May 2004

Sunset beach resort and spa was wonderful.
The rooms were ok, but who's going for the rooms.
The Italian and oriental restaurants were great. I can't complain about any of the food. There was plenty of choices at the buffets. The beaches were rocky once you got into the water. The staff was great. Of course you had some that go out of their way to help and you have others that don't.
It was a great vacation and I will go back.

• Stayed: April 2004
Grand Prairie, Texas
Reviewed 17 May 2004

My husband and I went to Jamaica for our six year anniversary. This was our first trip out of the USA. So we didn't know what to expect.
We stayed at the Sunset Beach Resort 5-9/5-12-04.
We had a wonderful time. Relaxing. I was disappointed I didn't eat any Jamaican food, such as curry chicken and beef patties, but the food was average. We had a Garden/Mountain view on the tenth floor in Tower A. We where in a corner room, so we had a view of the ocean, which was wonderful. The room was basic and the air condition worked!! For the time spent in the room it was o.k. The staff is not overtly friendly, especially the front desk. No one is rude though. I guess because you are there to relax and not be hassled. Overall our stay was pleasant. It doesn't have a hotel feel, and that was good. If you are looking to be waited on hand and foot, this is not the place.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member