“Okay”

Ranked #18 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Toronto
“Okay”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Visited with our 3 year-old son during March break, 2013.

The service was friendly only in the restaurants, not as much around the resort, especially aloof at the bars when asking for simple drinks.

Food was average; not the widest selection. I appreciated that there were Jamaican cuisine options. Other food options were repetitive. Breakfast omelettes were fantastic. I did enjoy the buffet restaurant being right on the water. The view for each meal was spectacular.

Not much for young children to do at the kids club. Not the most welcoming environment. Staff not so friendly there.

The ocean was lovely with lots of shells at the shore to collect. A bit rough going in; definitely not white soft sand. Very hard to find lounge chairs (which were quite run-down) if you don't reserve one with a towel at 6:am, same situation at the pool. Very frustrating.

For a fee, we upgraded to the two-storey oceanfront building from the original room we were given in one of the towers - I'm glad we did, great view right on the beach.

For those who want a Jamaican getaway on a budget, this is a no frills resort that will suit your needs just fine.

Due to some unfriendly staff and the crowded so-so beach, I don't think I would return.

Room Tip: Try to upgrade to the two-storey building further down the beach.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank ebett

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,433)
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 31 July 2014

My second trip (May 2013, July 2014). Great for family with small children especially. 3 pools (great spot for the little kids) plus a lazy river and a decent beach. Spa component, nice addition, not a massage person until I tried it here. ON this trip celebrated my 19th Anniversary, had dinner by the beach, great food and IMPECCABLE SERVICE. Met many of the staff who I saw from last year and yep they remembered who we were. They even had a gala for those folks who cam there before, can we say VIP?

7 Thank WAChanner
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I booked tripple occupancy for three nights, which costs almost $1000 for the three people. When I got there they were not prepared for us. They eventually offered a roll-out bed for my son. He didn't stay there because that was not what we paid for. It was brought to the attention of management but got no compensation. The hotel is lovely but they have very poor service

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank cawleygirl
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I can truly say that my experience at Sunset Beach Resort, Spa & Water Park wasamazing!! The entire staff was extremely gracious from the time we arrived until we departed. The staff includes the Welcoming desk, bellmen, shopping guide, trip coordinators, dining staff, bar staff, the acivities directors for day and evenng activities, and housekeeping!! The amenities were great especially the variety of foods, restaurants, bars, nightly entertainment, and on grounds crafts presentations for sale. I was disappointed that the Water Park was not as I expected, however, the pool and beach activities were great for kids. I also enjoy the Casino area in the evenings. My group included 3 adults and a 10 yr. old. We hired a private driver who took us on a tour of the country side such as Dunes River Falls, Colmbus' landing site, and many other areas as well as other good shopping areas!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the Beach are very relaxing
4 Thank Almaryne S
Saint Albans, New York
Reviewed 29 July 2014

This is my first time on a Resort and I am telling you that Sunset Beach is the best. The tourism staff, the receptionist, the baggage people, the bartenders, the photoshop staff, the gift shop, the Banana Buffet staff, housekeeping staff, everyone were wonderful people, very friendly, great mannerism. There is not one person who you meet who is not going to say hello, even when they ride the elevator with you, they are say "HI". The Pirate Beach Party was fabulous, the food was great, the entertainment every night was wonderful. Maxine Maxwell our Guest coordinator was very friendly, she comes around everyday to ensure that everyone is enjoying their time and having a great time. I really, really enjoyed my time and did not want to leave. I miss you guys. I enjoyed the pool activities, the games, the music, the trips to different beaches, Dunns River Fall, and Negril. Faye, the tour person was very friendly. I love it so much that my family and I are planning on coming back next year, plans are on the way already. See you next year.

Room Tip: I love the rooms in tower A. The rooms overlooking the beach and the pool are the best. Please do n...
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I recently spent 3 lovely weeks at The oasis at sunset, montego bay jamaica, with my elderly mother, The management and staff were exceptional and they could not do enough for us both. My mother who is wheelchair bound was well looked after. I only had to leave her for 10 minutes and a member of staff would ask her if she was okay and offer her a drink or something to eat. I would strongly recommend this hotel to anyone travelling to Jamaica with an elderly or wheelchair bound relative, i would also like to say a special THANKYOU TO ALL THE MEMBERS OF STAFF but especially to MRS KARLENE WALTERS the guest ambassador and MISS LORNA CLARKE who were the icing on the cake

Room Tip: Rooms with a garden view are more relaxing
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Kenneth S
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Dearest Sunset Beach, it hurts me to have to rate you so poorly! I've stayed at this hotel several times over the yrs. I was a proud Sunsetter and with great enjoyment recommended you to my friends who also stayed and enjoyed their time there. However, It appears in an effort to open a luxury hotel you have neglected the existing one! The bathrooms, decor, peeling furniture in the rooms, broken and confusing elevator in building A, and Lobby furnishings are in desperate need of maintenance, upgrade and/or repair! Additionally, Something must be done with the food quality in the dining hall. Although I don't mind leftovers! I certainly minded the FOOD POISONING! And please purchase more towels! Why must i wait until 4pm for a clean wash cloth! The kindness of MOST of the staff is all that made my nine day stay bearable. Come on Sunset Beach! PLEASE do whats required and Return your standards to 4+ stars.. Thanks DK

• Stayed July 2014
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 63 in Montego Bay
Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Hotel

Been to Sunscape Splash Montego Bay? Share your experiences!