“Sunsetter...for life!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #17 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Sunsetter...for life!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2014

We just returned from Sunset Beach, again, on August 28th. We could spend a month here and it would still be too short. This trip was slightly different from past trips. Our daughter joined us this Summer, as she will be heading off to college soon. She fell in love with Jamaica and Sunset Beach, as we hoped she would! We stayed in a one bedroom suite, ocean front. There are dozens of excursions to choose from and we swam with Dolphins, had a couples massage and Snorkeled at MargaritaVille. As anyone who has been there knows, Sunset Beach is not a four star property but if what your looking for is a relaxing vacation in a beautiful location this is it. The staff here will always be the number one reason our family will keep coming back. We have been many, many places and the people at Sunset Beach are the utmost best in the world at what they do....each and every single person, from the front desk, to the spa, to the bartenders, to housekeeping. All RESPECT to this staff always!!!!!!!! The Jennings family will be Sunsetters for Life!

Room Tip: The Ocean front are best for the gorgeous views. This is an older hotel so noise can be an issue at...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Luv2go1019

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,376)
  • Polish first
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2014

I'll begin with the bad. A couple small things need to be corrected like paint here and there... that's about it.

Now the good things, everything. The people are some of the most beautiful souls we have ever had the pleasure of meeting. We had our wedding/honeymoon there April 28, 2014. It was sunset and I can honestly say I couldn't have imagined a more perfect, more fairy tale, absolutely gorgeous wedding.

There was SO much for our kids to do, yet 'adults only' pools also included so there was still separation of those without children to those with. Well laid out and the food was AMAZEBALLS. I think if you go there and are unhappy, then you are beyond hard to please.

We love it enough we will be going back many times over and eventually plan on living there to some degree for parts of the year (Jamaica in general, not the resort ;). You cannot go wrong with the beauty, grace and island feel of beautiful Mo Bay and it's lovely Sunset Beach Resort, Spa & Water Park.

Until we meet again, dearest Jamaica.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Tabetha D
New york
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2014

Love my stay... I'm a repeat guest at this resort. Love the staff they are very friendly and nice. I would recommend this hotel to my friends and family. A wide variety of good to choose from and it taste good too. I would love if they would work on the stones in the beach it's very rocky at the beginning of the shore.

• Stayed August 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2014

This is the best place We have stayed in.Plently of activities for children and adults, food was out of this world and the staff were amazing
The best way to get around is not going on the tours but hiring a taxi from the taxi rank, the drivers are value for money & will take you all the best places.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank ronniorfolk
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2014 via mobile

Four families fifteen in all, we had an amazing 9 day stay. The first night we upgraded to Oasis ocean front room. The best decision we made since it included two extra restaurants and access to private and the nude beach. Rooms are older but clean. Waterpark and kids club entertained the kids the entire stay giving adults plenty of free time.

• Stayed August 2014
2 Thank elbratka
Hollywood, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2014

This was a trip that we had not taken in 11 year (Jamaica) so we were somewhat excited about it. This hotel was close to the airport and was superb on almost all aspects. If you have read a lot of reviews - ignore the bad stuff unless you are a traveler who likes to complain about everything. Our flight was short from Ft. Lauderdale to Montego Bay (roughly right under two hours after collecting baggage) we found our Amstar rep quickly for the transfer and all was well. Red Stripe tasted great at the airport but a bit overpriced at $6. We were whisked away to the hotel and it was barely 20 minutes which was refreshing from our last trip and the drive to Negril. I had checked in online and we were greeted by Belford Campbell for our luggage who was great to us the entire trip. During my stay I worked with the front desk - Pauline, Nicole and Chanel - they were always accommodating and nice. Our room was not available that I paid for but they gave us the same view (that was what was most important to me) with two beds as opposed to the King that I requested - not a problem from my perspective. We got rum punches upon check in and they were good. It was our anniversary so they gave us free internet for the week since we had our tablets and did not want to use the phones. Belford whisked us off to our room of which I was very happy with - not sure how people can be so unhappy when in Jamaica. Since we were worried about the NBA games and soccer games - needed to find out where to watch stuff and consider the time change. All that was easily solved, so we changed and headed out to the pool - Jackie at the pool was always courteous and nice to us along with her co-workers. We brought our insulated cups and there was no problem filling them up. We did bring $ for tips and where I come from that is only appropriate. In the evening we had not made reservations so we had the jerk chicken by the pool area and it was great. We watched the shows each night and the talent was amazing. I personally enjoyed the lazy river and slides...........awesome! Nico at the bar was accommodating when I was yelling during the Miami Heat game. The person who upkept our room, Ann Marie was also great - she was very courteous and always took care of us. We did go down to Pier One and have to say with the free transfer and price at the place - I was quite impressed. The sunset was amazing and until the bugs came out I was good. We did make a stop at the grocery store for some snacks, water, soda and booze for the room. I had met with the front desk earlier that day and got a refrigerator for $5 a day so we would not wake up thirsty. The ice is given to you in the lobby - so go there if you need some. The gift shop is somewhat expensive - but when are they not? They had beautiful items and there were vendors out daily to bargain with. We did go snorkeling off shore (walk in and we brought our own equipment) - I had an issue with my flipper getting stuck in the rope but all was well and I do suggest water socks. We played around on the swings (even in our 40's) and my boyfriend brought his skateboard which was a big hit with all the staff. I made reservations for the Italian restaurant (very good) and the Jamaican restaurant (also good) which was nice and we had very courteous servers. Nardia provides excellent entertainment opportunities and was right by us in the south tower. We were all over this resort and not much bad to say. Since we did not use our phones - we were a bit thrown off with the internet access but there is a media place for you to access any of your accounts and/or internet. At breakfast - everyone was great and same with lunch plus dinner. Not sure if we are just easy going or if others are just too uptight. We had no problems other than a few times the key were messed up due to being close to the cell phone. Would certainly stay here and will be happy to answer any questions. We did patronize the disco and the soccer games at the air-conditioned bar. This is a great resort and I welcome any questions. Thanks to all the staff at Sunset Beach Resort and water park for your great service!

Room Tip: We upgraded to the Ocean Front Room and it was well worth it.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank porka29
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2014

If you don't have kids or you like to party this is probably not the resort for you. If you have kids and want them entertained so that you can relax, this is your spot. This is not a luxury hotel, but it is clean, there are a lot of things for kids to do, and they have a great staff. The staff goes above and beyond your expectations. I have some people that I am partial towards because they really made my vacation special. I would like to thank Patrice from check-in, who called USAirways relentlessly until my luggage was sure to arrive at the hotel. Garth, who let me steal cherries from the beach bar. Tony and Dionne who gave me rapid service at the entertainment bar. Donna, who gave me one of the best massages that I probably have ever had. And the water sports guys, esp Jordi and Delacey, who went out of their way to entertain us and provide us with snorkeling gear. The snorkeling at this hotel is amazing! Just be careful not to step in the sea grass while in the water. This is where the sea urchins live and if you step on one, it will surely mean a visit to the nurse to get the quills removed from your foot. Ouch!
I stayed in A505, great view of the mountains and the beach. My only complaint is that the beds are uncomfortable.

Room Tip: If you want a view of the beach and mountains, A505. It's quiet there too.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
#1 of 1 in Ironshore
3.5 of 5 bubbles 5,782 reviews

Been to Sunscape Splash Montego Bay? Share your experiences!