“Sunset is a Great Resort All and All”

Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
Ranked #19 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Reviewed 9 January 2009

Celebrated New Year's 2008 at Sunset. Sunset is a great resort, it has some cultural flair so you do feel SOME of the Jamaican culture. The hotel is a little dated and so are the rooms. The rooms, resort, and pools were always very clean. Drinks were always plentiful and they would make it as strong as you like it. Make sure you try the Pina colada with Appleton Rum. Sunset has a beautiful beach and a very short swim out to some beautiful reefs for a great snorkel experience. I heard a lot of people say how good the food is, but I thought the food was just ok. I didn't have an opportunity to eat at any of the restaurants because they were booked. I ate at the buffet, which didn't have a lot of variety but you manage to find something tasteful. Sunset did provide a few Jamaican cuisine at the buffet but it's nothing like authentic Jamaican food. In most of the tourist areas you will never find the real authentic taste of Jamaican cusine until you venture in the local areas. This of course isn't always the wisest thing to do unless you know people from the island, which I did. Overall, I would say that the resort was a good find. It is not anywhere near an upscale resort but if you are looking for relaxation and fun in the sun it's a nice place.

SPA
Spa services at the Resort was very good. I have been to 4-5 Resorts for massages and as this resort was no where near a 4-5 star, the massage itself was very good, thanks to my Massage Therapist.

Complaint:

I did have one issue that I called the front desk about. When the front desk lady attempted to transfer me to the manager I was left on hold for a long time. I called back to let her know that no one picked up and I was just left on hold, she said she would go and see why the manager never picked up. The manager never returned my phone call and neither did the front desk person. I just left the situation alone and enjoyed the rest of my vacation. I did feel it worth mentioning just in case you do have a problem and you feel that you were neglected.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank exotictravels22304

Reviewed 9 January 2009

What a dump!!! Not clean, old, no new paint, food terrible and the same every nite, couches in a suite dont work...you will fall through, no hot water for 3 days, no water completely for 24 hours, lack of staff, dirty chairs on the beach and lobby, dont know what happened to the lobby roof..but there is a metal one now, scum in pool, thrown off the beach for a private party, bring money to dine as the food does not change from lunch to dinner and the same for 6 days straight, no sheets...waited three hrs cuz the maid was having dinner, etc...do you get it?

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 January 2009

We just returned from a four night stay at Sunset Resort in Montego Bay Jamaica. A quick review of experience is as follows:
Front desk: friendly and helpful but often times understaffed
Rooms- we were placed in the west building facing the water park and were told the rooms had been recently renovated. When we entered our room our children were all surprised at how poor the rooms looked. One of our kids said to us that they thought the hotel room would have been much nicer after having seen some of our photos from previous resorts. Our bathroom had remnants of paint running down the tiled section of the wall to the floor. Overall the rooms are extremely tired. We later found out that these rooms really had not been renovated. Rooms were clean but the air conditioner seemed not to be adjustable temperature wise and there was no happy medium.

Grounds and waterpark- overall high marks for cleanliness and good overall appearance.

Buffet meals- breakfast was certainly the best meal served at the buffet with an assortment of items including omlettes and Jamaican food.
It seemed that you had to time your meals right as they did not replenish the buffet as well as they could have. We complained to the Food manager as the service really was not up to par. I had to ask for water 4 times before receiving a refill. It seems that after our conversation with the manager the service was improved the following days.

Restaurant meals and service was good with choices of 3 restaurants. One offering Jamaican, Italian and Chinese.

It is a good location with good snorkelling and a large beach area. There was always an adequate supply of masks and snorkels.
Staff- Jamaica is known for its friendly staff but this resort has a bit of work to do if it wishes to maintain a loyal customer base.
We spoke to returning guests who said that it seemed like things had changed and that staff were not as friendly as in previous years.

Overall I would rate the rooms as a 2 star in a 3.5 star resort. There are many better resorts in Jamaica for the same money. One good thing was the assortment of Jamaican food offered at all meals.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 January 2009

Beautiful views, great snorkling, good specialty restaurants, plenty of bars, great sevice (mostly), great water park, but...
It's on the far west end of Montego Bay, so it's not close to anything. The main buffet restaurant is just pretty good and the food doesn't change much. Any kind of beer you want- as long as you want Red Stripe, or RS Lite! Definitely specializing in rum drinks. The have a late nite snack bar with pizza, burgers, fries, and jerk chicken, but nothing sweet- so if you want a late night dessert you have to raid the buffet before it closes at 8:30
Don't get me wrong, we had an awesome time, but mostly because our expectations were not unrealistic.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LeftyBakersfield_Ca
Reviewed 4 January 2009

Traveled to Sunset Beach with my wife and two sons (7 &8) for New Years and had a great time. Staff was extremely helpful and friendly. The water park area was fantastic! The kids had a great time playing in the water parkwhile my wife and I were able to relax on the lazy river and still keep an eye on them. The pina coladas and red, white, and blue drinks were delicious. We were in Tower A Ocean Front. Our view was amazing!!! We looked forward to seeing the beautiful ocean each morning. The room itself was quite simple. Nothing fancy. The elevators were having trouble during our stay. Usually 1 was out of commission per day, but they fixed the problem quickly. The food was good. Unfortunately, we were only able to get a reservation in the Asian restaurant because all others were booked (quite a disappointment). We even tried making our reservations the minute we stepped off our shuttle at the hotel. We kept checking back all week to see if any reservations opened up and they didn't . Therefore, we basically ate in the main dining area and the grill all week. Overall, we had a great experience.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
4  Thank portmurray
Reviewed 3 January 2009

We just returned from a trip to Sunset Beach Resort and we enjoyed the trip. We found the hotel staff very attentive and willing to assist. The guest services desk was crowded at times but you could walk right up at others. The one problem we had was booking a reservation in one of the onsite resturants - they were fully booked for the week as of the day we arrived. It turned out that the buffet offered a decent selection of entrees and we had a more flexible schedule but it was disappointing since the resturants are highly recommended. The hotel hosted a New Year's Eve Gala that was great. They had an awesome Jamaican band playing all night and a special buffet by the main pool. Although the hotel is aged, they have done a nice job keeping it clean and the A/C was fantastic in our rooms. They have also worked to enhance the amenities with the entertainment center and the banana walk (buffet area). We also found a great quiet place to hang out behind the pool bar along the water - very relaxing and no one knows about it!!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
7  Thank misty00115
Reviewed 2 January 2009

I was apprehensive about traveling to a 3 star resort, but this is what I could get at the last minute. It turned out great. My family of 5 had a beautiful 10th floor suite with a great view, and a beautiful balcony. The suite was perfectly fine. The hotel is decorated with updated looking materials, and the water park was very suitable for our family of kids ranging from 11 to 3. The food was acceptable, and the staff were cordial and accommodating. The restaurants were very decent, and the all inclusive water activities such as snorkeling, paddle boating, kayaking, and sunfish were very nice. The nightly entertainment was fun, and the kids got involved, too. The proximity to the airport (15 min) was helpful also. The only thing that grossed me out was the large number of other hotel guests with bad manners greedily grabbing at the buffet table. But I think this probably happens at most all inclusives and cruises. All in all, I think we had a really great vacation.

• Stayed: December 2008