“not bad if you know what to expect!!”
Review of Harbour Street

Harbour Street
Ranked #43 of 74 things to do in Montego Bay
More attraction details
Owner description: This street is best known for its open-air craft market, where t-shirts, beads and handmade crafts are sold.
Reviewed 6 November 2013

My wife and family love to shop. So we will put up with some annoyances to get the best deals. Yes the Jamaicans on Harbor street will try to get you to buy everything they have. Yes they will follow you down the street, just be polite and don't be afraid to say no. If you know that's the way it is going to be before you get there then you are informed and not afraid of the locals. The shopping is good, and the shops are close together; and the shopkeepers are nice for the most part. Just realize that the people that are hounding you on the street are trying to make living. A bonus is that there are tourist police everywhere, yes they are called tourist police, and if you feel uncomfortable you just motion to them and they will ask if there is a problem, which the reply for the hounding Jamaican is always no problem mon!!..We got some great deals and we shopped Harbor street for about two hours....would recommend it, just know what you are getting into before you get there!!.......HAPPY TRAVELS!!

16  Thank john w

Reviewed 30 October 2013

I wrote a glowing review of Harbour Street last year. We just got back from Montego Bay a few days ago and things have spiraled downhill rapidly. We hired a taxi driver, a wonderful local Jamaican man, who drove us to all of our favorite destinations in the city. He, along with other Jamaicans, warned us of the very dangerous atmosphere there now. Apparently, the local thugs, who are comprised of unemployed young men, prowl the streets looking to rob tourists. They especially want gold, and will shoot or cut you to get it. They then take it to the local pawn shops and trade it for money. I could not believe my eyes as I saw the physical deterioration of the streets, and the throngs of people milling about. Even our taxi driver was afraid to take us to several of our chosen destinations. Even though it robs one of adventure, it is far safer to go with a group or confine oneself to an all-inclusive resort. So, so sad, because Jamaica is gorgeous, has a vibrancy like no other place in the Caribbean, and the people are generally kind and generous. I hope the government there gets a handle on crime, because a treasure of a culture is being lost.

37  Thank Coffeebuff
Reviewed 28 September 2013

Don't mind haggling for prices - got used to that now. BUT when you can't browse at your own speed and you feel that your exit is being blocked to intimidate you into buying something then I draw the line. I understand that Jamaicans at craft markets are only trying to make a living and am happy to help them do that but if I can't look properly without feeling able to move along without buying from a certain stall then I buy nothing. We ended up buying the 2 cheapest things we could find just to get out then left. I am certain if we had been left to look alone we would have spent a lot more money. Make sure you have change too as they don't and disappear with your money to allegedly go to find some!!

13  Thank CoconutLil
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Montego Bay has a colourful center, with a few landmarks. Interesting is the church and the marketplace.I walked trough it with a local who I picked up on the street. No problem, but make a price first. Then it seems safe to go there.

3  Thank Gert09
Reviewed 9 November 2012

Another site that has an interesting history. You need to get a copy of "Montego Bay - Jamaica" by Pauline Reid to read all about it.

4  Thank lproom