“Loved every minute”

Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island
Ranked #7 of 64 Hotels in Montego Bay
Reviewed 9 November 2007

From the moment we arrived to the moment we left the staff was helpful and could not do enough for you, the pub made the holiday the lads in there are entertainment on there own.
Our room could have done with been updated but the maid Betty was brilliant.
Would love to go back sometime but not with MYTRAVEL! Took us 48hrs via Canda to get there from England so we missed 2 days of are holiday.

3  Thank dvarley

Reviewed 8 November 2007

My wife and I stayed at the Sandals Royal Caribbean the first week of June. We were planning on getting married and then going on an amazing honeymoon when we found Sandals on the internet. After seeing that they include their weddings and had so much to offer, we booked our trip. We read many reviews on Tripadvisor and I must say we were quit sceptical as not all of the reviews were favorable. It made my wife very nervous that we were going to get there and have a negative experience. So much so that I took the time to contact the manager, Clive Edwards, and asked him what to expect. Of course Mr. Edwards eased our minds and promised us an experience we would never forget. He couldn't have been more truthful. From the moment we arrived to the moment we stepped on the plane to come home, we were treated like a celebrity. I have never in my life went on a vacation where EVERYONE we came in contact with was more than plesent. We were checked in and in our room within minutes. Rocky, our bellman, was very nice and took the time to give us a quick tour on our way to our room. From there we met our room attendant Monica. She kept our room spotless and always stopped us to say hello when we passed on the property. She also left us a special note congratulating us on our wedding day. Speaking of our wedding day, we didn't do any upgrades since it was just the two of us and there was no reason to. It was still more than beautiful and a memory we'll never forget to be married in a heart of flowers right on the beach. We spent a lot of our time relaxing on the beautiful beach (yes it's small but it was never crowded so you never felt like you needed more beach) and at the bar with our new friend Sygurd. Sygurd was an amazing bartender. By far the best drinks I've ever tasted and I've worked as a bartender in the past and LOVE my mixed drinks. He made us feel like we were hanging out with an old friend from day one. We also had the opportunity to go horseback riding. I would recommend that to ANYONE. It was one of the less expensive tours and an experience I will never forget. I've never been on a horse and to be able to ride for the first time through the Jamaican rainforest was a special treat. Our guide Ron was amazing (he's not a Sandals employee). He made me feel relaxed and gave us a wonderful history lesson along the way. The best part was riding the horses in the ocean. Make sure you hold on tight! We decided not to do any shopping excursions because everything you need is either in the Sandals gift shop or at one of the vendors that would set up on property (I think they set up once or twice a week). There are the vendors that come up on their surfboards but they do not bother you if you show them some respect. They are just trying to feed their families and as long as you say 'hello' and 'no thank you', they are just as plesent as the staff. Jamaican people demand respect....as they should, and as long as you give them that, you'll make new friends. The Jamaican people also are not in any big hurry but why should they be? You're on vacation so sit back, relax, and enjoy the new environment. One story I can tell that sums up the dedication and love that the Jamaican people have for its guests is a staff member named Craig we had the chance to meet. He stopped me one day just to say hello and ask how our vacation was going and from that point forward he too was a new friend. My wifes dream, and mine too, was to drink from a coconut on our wedding day instead of a wine glass. I made that comment to Craig and within minutes (and that is NOT an exaggeration) he had a local man climb a palm tree and drop down two fresh coconuts that Craig later 'opened' for us so we could drink from them on our wedding day.
Contrary to other reviews, we were never asked for a tip. However, when you get the kind of service we did, it's hard not to slip them a few extra dollars as a way of saying thanks. A few dollars go a long way and were always appreciated. How could you not slip a gentleman a few dollars after he had someone climb a tree for you or mix you the best drink you've ever tasted?
Do listen to the advice of other reviews and book your dinners early. The Royal Thai does fill up quick and after eating there, we know why. The private island is beautiful during the day and at night. The planes that fly over are few and far between and NOT a problem. I can see how they would be at the Sandals Montego Bay since it is located at the end of the landing strip. We went to the Montego Bay resort and couldn't get back to the Royal Caribbean resort fast enough. So if you have the chance, go to the Sandals Royal Caribbean. You'll be glad you did!

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
17  Thank windycitymike
Reviewed 7 November 2007

We arrived on a Friday afternoon, extremely tired. So, the easy check-in process was very appreciated. We immediately started visiting with other couples. We were upgraded! we had booked a grand luxe beachfront and ended up with a concierge suite, which wasn't exactly beachfront, but it was very close! My husband was a little unhappy about this until he saw the beachfront rooms, which mostly weren't exactly beachfront or had volleyball and watersports right in front of them. So we ended up with a lovely full size patio facing the east pool, a whirlpool tub, a stocked bar, room service, and concierge service, I was very happy!

The east pool was very quiet, which we preferred because any time we wanted something more lively we just walked over to the main pool. There was also a nice beach in front of the east pool, with a floating platform. They did take good care of the beach here. Although my husband did get a jellyfish sting on our second day, but he said it was only a little worse than a wasp, or bee sting, and only bothered him that one day. Also the east pool was cleaner than the main pool. The hot tub at the east pool wasn't nearly as warm as the one at the main pool though.

The main pool was the place to go to meet people, we even played water volleyball a few times. The swim up bar was fun and I never found the service lacking, or the quality of drinks. I just wish there were more stools on the water side and that it didn't close at 5:00 every day. A few times I thought the girl on the microphone trying to get people to participate in activities was a little obnoxious.

We didn't go to the new guests orientation, I had read two years worth of reviews on this site before traveling and I probably knew more than some of the people working there. Only thing I didn't know was that they have a little office where you can borrow books and games and such during your stay. No one takes cash, i.e. ; the gift shop, photo shop, tour desk... So we had to go to concierge and pay when we reached our limit they held on our card ($400). We couldn't go snorkeling the whole time we were there due to weather (wind). It did rain every day we were there, but only for about 5 minutes at a time, except for one day and it rained after noon off and on all afternoon until dinner. No problems mon! We found ways to entertain ourselves ; )

Now for the restaurants. On our first night they had the beach party buffet, but we didn't go because we were so tired. We ate at the Courtyard instead, We liked it, my husband had the steak, which wasn't so great, I had the snapper which was good. Mostly though we liked the cozy atmosphere and even though it is pretty protected and secluded it didn't seem stuffy like the Pavilion did. (maybe it was just the weather, I don't know) We had the pub for lunch one day, it was just like the beach grill, nothing spectacular. This is important: lunch is only served from 12:30-2:30 at the Regency and Pub, after that it's the beach grill- or room service, if you've got it. The Regency actually had a pretty good breakfast buffet, (I'm not much of a buffet eater) and an excellent lunch buffet. we made reservations at Tokyo Joes and Royal Thai, but I got them mixed up so we missed them both! One night we did take the shuttle to Sandals Montego Bay and had the OK Corral, it was nice, very breezy, and so cute! Food was OK there, but the atmosphere was worth the trip. Also, that sandals has a nice, beautiful, long beach and great piers. We grabbed a drink from the bar as soon as we got there and walked down the beach and out on a pier, it was beautiful-until we heard the planes! About 3 the whole time we were there (2 1/2 hrs). It is probably worse during the day. Heres a hint- the bus leaves Sandals Royal at the hour, and leaves Sandals Montego at a quarter till the hour.

Definitely go to the pub in the evening, after dinner for drinks, that was a much better show than anything they had planned. Those guys are hilarious! The usual evening entertainment was pretty sad, I would have like some good old fashioned reggae, oh well! We liked to get in the hot tubs at night or our own room's jacuzzi.

Get the "snapshot" pictures! They are priceless, their cameras are very good quality and we got some pics we never could have gotten of us together. I bought 15 and had them put on a CD with the copyright release so I'll post a few here so you can see what I mean.

We did the canopy tour. It was cool, probably wouldn't do it again because it took so long to get there and back. Also we went into town on a Sunday and wouldn't do that again, the vendors are so aggressive and you can get everything at the airport duty free.

Overall this was a wonderful vacation, the staff was very helpful the resort was clean. One more thing- the island was nice, pool was open, bar was open. Only thing was that the shuttle over there was a little disorganized, never on time, or at the same pier. But once we got there it was great!

9  Thank 2busymama
Reviewed 6 November 2007

First off - i just have to say that when we initially booked our 7 night stay and weddingmoon at the SRC ...i was a little worried after reading some reviews on this website..but i am soo happy we didnt listen !
Sandals Royal Carribean was an amazing place.
We arrived on October 29th - and made our way quickly through the airport...found the Sandals lounge and were whisked away to the waiting shuttle..The short ride to the resort was a humbling experience..you realize how lucky you are to be spending 7 days lounging on the beach...when there are people living in shacks with cardboard for a roof less then a mile away.
Check in went smoothly..our room was wonderful.. We were in the Kensington block beachfront room #70.
The room was clean and comfortable..of course it was a little damp , Its Jamaica people ! you can not avoid the humidity ..( just ask my hair ! ) Our housekeeper Anne Marie was wonderful..and always very helpful.
The food was excellent..the drinks were aplenty ..and the entertainment was truly enjoyable. The playmakers - Helen , Marlon , Dane and Jackie , Kevin at the crickateers pub( and whoever else i may have forgotten ) truly make your experience amazing. They are such dedicated hardworking people and we will never forget them.
As far as the people on canoes trying to sell you jewelry , they were actually really cool people ..who are very respectful and do not haggle once you tell them you are not interested. My husband , myself and my sister in law sat on the the gazebo talking to a few of them for awhile - good , positive people . They even gave us a free beaded necklace as a wedding gift !
Our wedding was on November 1st ..Nadine in the wedding office helped make everything go so smoothly. We couldnt have asked for it to be any easier ! You literally just show up !
Reverand Gordon was wonderful, so charming !
Even though there were multiple weddings a day , the whole staff makes it feel so personal and intimate. We were serenaded by the gardeners while getting our pictures taken ...and given "respect " and "love" everywhere we went ! It was an unforgettable day ...and i cant thank the staff at SRC enough !
If you just want to go with the flow , relax and meet amazing people who will teach you how to live the "good life"..then i HIGHLY recommend the Royal Caribbean.

5  Thank Erilee22
Reviewed 5 November 2007

My wife and I stayed at the resort for four days to celebrate our one year anniversary. The staff were extremely helpful and courteous from the minute we arrived to check in until the check out at the last possible minute. Every need we had was taken care of and everyone was very friendly. The best advice I could give anyone going here for the first time is to get involved in the daily activities and events planned by the staff. It is a great way to meet lots of great people and have a great time at the resort. It is also nice to get away by yourself as well, but you will miss out on a lot if you dont participate in things. The only problem we had was a small bug problem one night in our room, but that did not last long, and did not ruin our time there at all in my opinion.

6  Thank deduckett
Reviewed 1 November 2007

I must say that we were nervous about scheduling a wedding ~ even if it was just the two of us! From the moment we got there the concierge (Paulette) wisked us to a VIP check-in complete with champagne and baggage handling. It was a "no-hassle" experience!!! Our room was gorgeous with all mahogany furniture and an amazing view of our own little beach from the sliding glass door. The bar was stocked every day with Red stripe (better tasting than the US red stripe!), champagne and other goodies that welcomed us immediately! THe wedding office was very expeditious and kind dropping off a planning and schedule book as soon as we arrived. Yentil in the wedding office met with us the next day to go over the arrangements and she made everything very worry free~ as well as made herself available to us ALL THE TIME!!! Reverend Terrance Gordon was just great! He was sooo kind and wise provided a counseling session that was very moving and thoughtful - it was a must that he be in the wedding pictures! Antoinette from the wedding office was the kindest girl I have ever met! I tried to force a tip on her for all she had done for me and I was vehemently denied! Her response was that "I love what I do, and enjoy all the details" I tried and tried, but she just wouldn't accept a tip! She made sure all my flowers and dress was in order, and led me to my husband to be. She begged me not to cry and carried a cool wet towel that she used to keep me from sweating - not because of nerves, but its hot in a wedding dress in Jamaica!!! I will remember her and the reverend forever! Roan was our photographer and he was great! He has a great sense of humor and wanted us to be very happy with the pictures (of which we were - we even bought extras!). He even carried my shoes when I had to kick them off. He knew just the right spots for pictures! The reception was very nice with a beautiful cake (I highly recommend the Jamaican Fruit cake choice) and cold champagne - all of which were transferred to the room for us. We were treated to a beautiful dinner at the Courtyard restaurant which is normally outside under a canope of plants and flowers, but was inside because of the threat of rain. I was a little hot inside but the dinner was truely exquisite and the service was exemplary! They even had menus printed up with our names and the 4 course meal - great keepsake! The next morning was breakfast in bed - great room service menu and very timely service.

We were married on Saturday October 13th and the pictures were ready to view on Sunday where we picked the ones we wanted and picked up later. Sunday afternoon we haung out around the pool and talked with Neil our pool guy - I have never seen someone take care of the pool and the beach like that before - he greeted us every morning and told us of the different activities everyday and also told us about the different tours. On Monday we spent the day at the private island lounging and snorkeling - very nice!!! Tuesday we had scheduled a jeep safari tour into the mountains and to Mount Pieller - an amazing trip private waterfalls and a view of Montego Bay that would take your breath away! We learned the history of brave Samuel Sharp and will never forget the plantation ruins and the church on the hill (the old slave hospital). That tour is a MUST DO!!!

The only thing that we wish was different is all the wedding appointments ( 9:00am wedding office planning, 3:00 meetng with the reverend Friday, and Sunday the pictures review at 11:00am and Monday picture pick-up) kind of took up a lot of time within the 6 nights we were there and although we had Sunday afternoon, Monday and Tuesday, those appointments took away from planning more tours out and about in Jamaica.

I have never met a more warm and welcoming staff and the children we met on our tour were just amazing! It's one of the most beautiful places I have ever been and look forward someday to return! Thank you!!!

Kathryn and Wayne Loadholtes

5  Thank KateFlorida
Reviewed 1 November 2007

We went to Jamaica on our honeymoon and stayed at Sandal's Ocho Rios for the first 5 days and then transferred to the Royal Caribbean for the last 5 days. Our welcome was nice and our room was nice, very close to the beach and the piers. The resort is VERY small however with only a small beach area that everyone shares and one main pool that is quite small. The food at the buffets is not very good but the Cricketers Pub is AMAZING! The food is the best on the resort by far and the service and bartenders are amazing! They work so hard and do anything and everything in their power to make your time there excellent. They even called their friends to come and pick us up to go to Margaritaville after the Sandals "free" shuttle failed to come 3 times in one night! Don't rely on the front desk for anything. They are rude, ignorant and completely unhelpful. They wouldn't even call us a taxi to come and get us after their shuttle didn't show up 3 times and then wouldn't reimburse us after we had to take a taxi (and pay for it ourselves) to town. This resort is nowhere near a 5 star facility. Ocho Rios was MUCH better in size and food quality and entertainment quality. If you want to stay in Jamaica DON'T stay here!

Stayed: October 2007