“Great Vacation”

Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island
Ranked #5 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Reviewed 25 March 2008

I have been traveling to all inclusives for eight years now and this was by far the best ever. It was the first trip to a Sandals, but we have stayed at Riu and Dreams and this was a step above all others. The food, the grounds and especially the service was the best ever. I can not say enough about Horrace Fairweather, one of the department managers. On our first day he seemed to take our group of six under his wing and answer any questions and take care of any of our needs that we had. Even on his day off, while we were walking away from the resort, a car pulls up and who is it?? Fairweather, asking if all is ok and telling us have a good day and I'll see you tomorrow! He gave us information on the Jamacian culture and would stop daily for conversation. The day we left I felt I was leaving a good friend! Also the guys in the Pub were excellent. Kevin, Theon and all the others were great with their tricks and made us feel at home.

The food was very good and I have no complaints. We also went to Tokyo Joes at the other resort and it was excellent also. No problem with the drinks. Would be nice to have a waiter around the pool or on the beach but you are never that far away to get it yourself. Breakfast can get a little repetitive but how many ways can you make eggs?

While our group likes to stay at different resorts and see new things, I would not hesitate a second if someone suggested we return next year.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with friends
4  Thank AlgomaBadgerFan

Reviewed 24 March 2008

Sandals Royal Caribbean
March 2008

What can we say about the Royal that most people who have not had the pleasure of staying there yet. Just five words WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR. If you are looking for true paradise and a time to bring back the Romance and Passion and Fun into your lives then the Royal Caribbean is for you.

The staff there is nothing short of spectacular. From the time you arrive to the time you have to leave you are pampered with nothing to worry about. If its just relaxing on one of the beaches or by the many pools with a cool drink then this is the place to be.
If your into being involved in the many activities as well as a great night life the Royal has to offer then this is your place. The one great thing about the Royal Caribbean is that it is not to small and not to big of a resort its just the right size.

The other thing that brought us back to the Royal Caribbean is it's own Private Island so if you want to get away from the other part of the Resort you can go there and its just another extension of Paradise with its own pool, swim up bar, sandy beach. It truly is two vacations in one.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
5  Thank cp1036
Reviewed 24 March 2008

This is going to be long...

When we were planning our wedding in the states we had decided on honeymooning at Sandals. After seeing how large our wedding would end up we said forget it lets elope! So we booked the Royal Caribbean and everyone that was going was staying at Sandals MoBay.
Normally cruise people this is our first all inclusive resort experience. Me being the control freak that I am I began to research our resort, AFTER BOOKING. I found Trip Advisor and started to get scared. I read every single piece of info I could find on the Royal. I met some great people on here that assisted me in every question I had and 'tried' to help with the doubt I was feeling. But you never know till you arrive right?

We took at 7:30am flight out of Fort Lauderdale, Fl with what should have been a 20 min quick stop in Kingston before arriving at MoBay at 10:30am. Air Jamaica broke down and we stayed in Kingston for nearly 4 hours, before leaving. Once arriving at MoBay we were ushered to the Sandals Lounge where we snacked on a sandwich and drink. (My new in-laws flew in with us and sucked down a few Red Stripes before leaving.) They tag your luggage with little colored labels and have it loaded on a cart while you wait. (Please tip the cart guys, they don't work for Sandals.) Not there for 10 minutes, we were ushered to the little bus and off to the resort. I must say when we dropped others off at Sandals Montego Bay I felt my heart sink thinking our resort was going to be bad.

ARRIVING: We pull down a long flower and tree lined drive and enter the resort. My bag is one of the first to leave the bus and as I'm getting out someone immediately says "Who's bag is this?" "Mine." I say. "Come with me please." So we follow them to concierge. Michael who is the Cabana Concierge brings my fiance a cool towel and not 5 minutes later we are taken to our room. Mr. Mutton and I had spoke via email the week before and he graciously upgraded us from the beachfront suites to the River Suites! We were told our Butler would be up in a few moments to finalize our check in and unpack for us. Well since we were waiting I had time to do that myself even though I didn't have to.
Ellis came up and took care of everything and set up with us to have a tour of the resort the following day. Gave us our wedding book that we would need to look at it for final decisions and made us reservations for dinner that night. Plus we got a cell phone to use while at the resort in case we needed anything. Then we were released to have fun.

FOOD: I have to say that the food was actually REALLY good. There was nothing that we ever did not enjoy. Daily we ate lunch at the beach grill and had Jerk Chicken ALOT and instead of fries I was always eating Nachos and cheese. We had the lunch buffet a few times also. Never a complaint. Breakfast was always a buffet at the Regency but it changed daily. We never made it to the Pub in the 8 days we were there and I'm not sure why!! The Thai was our absolute favorite dinner. The Pavilion was yummy. I had Snapper and he had Surf N Turf. Though his 'turf' was a grilled to rubber prawn! haha The Regency for dinner was delightful with Blacken Snapper wrapped in spinach for him and Swordfish steak for me. We ate at Tokyo Joe's at Montego Bay and that was fun to go experience. We had two private dinners that were absolutely divine!!! The first was our wedding dinner. Being from the South you eat a lot of steak. Or my hubby does, he said this was the best steak he had ever tasted. You cut it with a butter knife and fork. The shrimp that came with it where huge, plump and juicy! The second dinner was private by the River pool with Lobster and the same steak. You could not ask for anything more romantic and delicious as that meal!

SERVICE: From the moment we arrived to the moment you left, you did nothing. I mean NOTHING but relax. Every manager, bartender, waiter/waitress, maid, butler and grounds crew you came across was nothing short of the best you could meet. Friendly, talkative and enjoyable. Ellis, Adia and Damian were our butlers and now life long friends. Hughill and Devon helped with anything we needed though they were not our assigned butlers. My hubby Gary hung out with Hughill and his beautiful pregnant wife along with two other guest (Rick and his wife) until past 1am one night. Managers Oakley and Jason became really good friends and would stop and have a conversation with you any time they saw us. Mr Mutton wished us congratulations on our wedding day and spoke to us several times he saw us. Michael the Cabana Concierge needs to be moved to Butler when the new River Suites open. He is awesome! Marlon in the Gym, thanks for that killer power walk and great conversation. Ernest and Sygard are great bartenders. Have a Sygard make you a Mind Eraser! Ernest does tons of tricks at night in the piano bar. Devon the resort photographer is the best. Have him do a private shoot with you. We did two!! I haven't seen great photography like that in a really long time. Kimberly and Samantha in the Photo Shop are wonderful. They put up with a lot from us with picking out photos and making albums!!! Lily our housekeeper did such beautiful work in our room. It was always cleaned first thing. Fresh towels, beach towels and sheets. The bed always had a towel art with flowers laid out on it. She came in the morning to clean up. The afternoon to touch up and the evening to turn the bed down and place our robes and the next day events page on our bed.

ROOM and GROUNDS: FABULOUS!!!!!! Oh My Gosh! The room was beautiful. We over looked the River Pool and beautifully landscaped grounds. The room never had a second to get dirty. I never once saw the grounds dirty. Everyone is always picking up and cleaning stuff off. Some people are real pigs and would leave messes so bad for no reason! When you eat at the picnic tables is it so hard to stack your plates together to make it a little easier on the staff? You see managers and every employee picking plates and cups up all day. The grounds keepers are always raking and sweeping and pruning. The beach was so gorgeous though we spent almost all of our beach time at the backside of the Island. It's so peaceful over there. You get a few lookie-loos that come through real quick and giggle before going on their way, but that's about it. We met some really great people over there and new people would come through daily!

WEDDING: The day of the wedding we woke up to a cloudy sky. Though thinking since we made it at 4pm it would be no issue at all. The rain cleared for someone's 11am wedding and then rained a little more but was done by 2. Everything was dry and clean by our time. We had the reception indoors just in case but that was it. I have to say I was not pleased with the wedding department staff. It just felt they didn't try to do all they could do. I wanted my dinner after the wedding at the Thai. "Nope sorry." He needs a room for two hours to get dressed in while the girls are in my room. "Nope Sorry." Ellis the butler went to management and made the Thai happen. Adia the other Butler went to concierge and got him the room. My advice, if getting married make sure you have a butler!!

We spent our days at the private island and had food brought to us, dinners were never planned and drinks were flowing like water. I drank more in 8 days then in the past two years combined. Try the Jamaican Smile. Its a frozen fruit drink and you will LOVE it!!!!

To all the people that complain, Let me tell you about yourself. Rude, inconsiderate, snobbish bleep-holes! There is not one thing I could find to complain about. Honestly not one. I couldn't find anything. There's nothing wrong with the cheap rooms, we looked inside them. Your shower curtain has mildew on it? Well so does mine at home at about 6 months when I change it. Get over yourselves. Stay at home and pout in your little corner of the world. If that's all your going to do is complain while on vacation DONT GO. Noone wants to hear it. not management, not guest and certainly not the hard working employees of the Royal. If you look for bad things you may find them. So the beach isn't huge but you never had to look for a chair. Oh No there's a plastic cup on the ground, pick it up and toss it. Just cause your on vacation doesn't mean you need to be rude and unhelpful. I picked up a few cups that had blown off tables. Did I go complain NO. I went on about my business and enjoyed my vacation!

Do Not let the bad reviews keep you from visiting this resort. We are already trying to decide if we should take another alone vacation or visit Beaches with our five year old. If we go that route we will definitely take a day trip back to see our friends at the Royal. Another thing is the personal photos that are posted do this resort NO JUSTICE! Even our photos after returning do not look as great as being there.

I’m sure I have forgotten to include so much but I really tried not to. If you have any questions you can PM me at any time and Ill do my best to get back to you with an answer.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
8  Thank ImHisBlonde1
Reviewed 23 March 2008

We stayed at Sandals Royal Caribbean March 3rd through the 9th. This was our second all inclusive, but our first time at a Sandals Resort. The staff was amazing. They really made our trip. When we first got to the resort, they sat us down in the lounge area and had alcohol and a cold towel. What more could you ask for. We booked our restaurants right away. The Thai restaurant was our favorite by far. We ate at Tokyo Joes in Montego Bay. That was probably our second favorite. The breakfast and lunch buffet were good, but they didn't have a buffet at night. We won two bottles of Rum for playing volleyball and participating in the various activities. The gym was below average. They only have two treadmills that work. So if you get there early in the morning, be prepared to wait. We did get a couples massage. That was expensive. I think it was $260. It was worth the money at the time. The pools are small. The chairs get taken right a way in the morning. The main beach always has chairs. The Resort has guys coming around all the time to take your picture. They take 5 or 6 different shots and give you a ticket to redeem them in the photo shop. The only catch is that they are $15 a piece. The pictures are not that great. The offshore island is small. They have a bar and a pool. There was never anybody in the pool. The nude side had maybe 6 people at one time. All and all it was a good trip. We met a lot of friendly people. You definitely need to pace yourself with the alcohol. I think we will try other places before we come back to Sandal Royal Caribbean, but it was an Above Average Resort.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Husker07
Reviewed 20 March 2008

I must start by saying I love Jamaica and think the Sandals organization is the best in the business. Overall I must say the week was as enjoyable as the prior three stays at the Royal Caribbean. The food and service was as expected from a Sandals property. Our one complaint is the type and volume of the music. Sandals Royal Caribbean is a place for relaxation and getting in touch with your loved one, not having to constantly fight the high volume of disco music. I realize music with a lively beat is advantageous during the daytime hours, however, quieter and more soothing music in the evening could set a more romantic atmosphere. Reggae music is synonymous with Jamaica, and I would recommend more of it in the beach bar area. Overall, the Royal Caribbean remains a favorite romantic getaway.

Stayed: March 2008
1  Thank travelerMadison
Reviewed 20 March 2008

My husband and I planned our wedding at the Sandals Royal Carribean resort for a small wedding ceremony. The staff were excellent while I made our reservation and planned our wedding. I was hoping that the date we wanted was available, and they were very helpful in making sure that we were able to have what we wanted.

We arrived at the resort by their personal shuttle service, and the exterior was absolutely gorgeous. The staff made sure that we were met by a concierge who helped give us details of the resorts features. We were brought to our room and it was lovely. Though, I must admit we really didn't spend too much time there!

A day before our wedding, we met with the pastor and the wedding staff and we picked out extras (flowers) for the ceremony that was extra money, but well worth it. The generic wedding package is not very decorative.

We were married two days after we arrived at the resort, and I have to say, it was the best experience ever. There was no stress. We woke up, went to the beach, my husband had a scuba lesson while I sat and read on the beach and then all of a sudden it was time to get hair and makeup done and get ready for the wedding!

The ceremony was perfect, a little contrived though, since they directed you where to go the whole time since they were shooting the wedding video during the ceremony (which was something extra we paid for). The staff took gorgeous photos, the Spa did an excellent job on hair and makeup - so much so, that I gave them a generous tip. We were very pleased.

The reception is just a little gathering of you and the pastor, signing papers and then eating cake and drinking champagne. The romantic dinner was superb - we were very happy with how the whole day turned out. The staff was very kind to us, even the lady who did my hair and makeup came out to see our reception!

We thoroughly enjoyed visiting Jamaica and loved the staff at the resort - everyone was very nice and called me Princess. It was a great experience and I highly recommend to anyone who wants to have a magical wedding and honeymoon to visit this resort.

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled as a couple
1  Thank littlebluegrl

March 11 2008
My wife and I arrived at the resort around 5pm it was a very nice short 15 minute drive from the airport. When we arrived we were greeted and asked to take a seat on the nice couch in the front lobby where they will finish our check in. We were then brought some rum punch to drink and there was a platter of cookies for us to eat in the front lobby also.

Jeremy was our bellboy who brought us to our room he was very funny and friendly, He showed us how to use the air conditioner, the safe, and informed us of some very few simple things in the room. When you enter our Deluxe room you need to put your room electronic card into a slot that allows everything to power up in the room which is very nice seeing as though sandals is on an energy conservation program.

We started our journey around the resort and found our way into a poolside buffet which was very well laid out simple and small but very tasteful. My father in law and I went and got some drinks and you will find this resort uses all name brand alcohol I was very impressed by this because a lot of Mexico resorts I had been to before had like glass bottles with a sticker on them that say tequila and vodka and etc that I believe to be watered down. Sandals also offers Beringer wine which was great because my inlaws enjoy wine.

March 12 2008
We woke up and went for the morning breakfast buffet where they have toast, bacon, sausage, all sorts of fruits which you can pick out and depending on the day they have omelletes some mornings, and pancakes. It was a good morning you go and can sit in the regency if you like which has seating viewing the ocean from a balcony in the restaurant quite a beautiful view to wake up to in the morning. We went for 10am orientation also and went swimming for a lot of the day and just relaxed.

Later in the day we got on the shuttle and transferred over to take a look at Sandals montego bay one of the total of 3 resorts we can look at and enjoy on our trip. It was a lot bigger and different atmosphere from royal carribean. However we ate at one of there normal restaurants(Bayside) and ordered steak which I must say was very good. They sit you down and serve you a la carte meals but you can go in your shorts and a tee no problem man. I later found out that cows in jamaica are fed naturally and that is why there beef is so good.

March 13 2008
Highlights
We had my mother in laws birthday party at the Thai restaurant on the private island and we told one of the servers the night before so he made sure to decorate the table up with stems of flowers and spelled out happy birthday. The server also had a birthday cake made with her name on it also. I was very impressed by the service the food and the experience by far.

March 14 2008
The night prior we filled out a card that you hang on your door handle and at 2:00 am they come around a pick them up and you fill out what you want for breakfast, and what time you want it delivered to your door. Good morning to bacon and toast eating on your front porch balcony. Or a fruit platter.

My wife and I went on the Black River safari tour and i reccomend it but only if you are prepared to take a 2 hour bus ride there realisticly if you book any excursions try and book them nearby the resort so most of your day is not wasted with travel.

On our way back we asked to stop off at Sandals Whitehouse which i must say it was a resort very secluded from everything. If you want to get away from anything and everything this looks like the place.

We came back to the resort to a great beach party which had a huge buffet setup, with selection of salads, ribs and jerk chicken, pasta potatoes vegetables bread cheese lots to choose from. There was tables setup all over the beach it was very romantic.

March 15 2008

We went on the Sandals Negril Day tour
we got to go and see the sandals negril resort which is very huge compared to the royal in size and has a 7 mile long beach to walk down. We spent 4 hours there enjoying the resorts food, alcohol, pool, and view. We also got to go and see cliff diving.

When we got back from the day tour we ate at Le Jardiner which is next to the main lobby. I ordered the lambchops and pork tenderloin both were very delicious meals. Dont under estimate this restaurant it looks like it is part of the building it actually is not the resort has bushes and plants growing completely over top of this restaurant to look create a very nice atmosphere.

March 16 2008
Spent all day at the private island swimming in the ocean which I must say was very warm. Also enjoyed drinks at the swim up pool bar on the island. We met a lot of other canadians from ontario and Bc while we were there.

March 17 2008
we took the transfer bus from sandals royal to sandals inn then walked down what Montego bay calls the hip strip to do some shopping and also so we could check out a must see jimmy buffets margaritaville.

March 18 2008
Hometime
what a sad day

When we left the whole staff actually waves you off and brings you one final drink of orange juice and some food to nibble on. It was a very great experience and the only way to experience Jamaica is in a sandals resort.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family