“Another wonderful trip to SRC!”

Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island
Ranked #7 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Orlando, Florida
“Another wonderful trip to SRC!”
Reviewed 3 March 2014

We returned to SRC for 4 nights in early February. We had the swim-out room (the highest category) and it was wonderful! We typically enjoy relaxing on the balcony, but really enjoyed the immediate access to the pool. We really like this building (forget the name) because of the large rooms, luxurious bathrooms and huge patios/balconies! Also, it is super convenient to everything!

Our butlers were amazing! We had Phillips again, so it was great to see a familiar face! We enjoyed the cabana on the private island one day...heavenly! Every staff member at SRC is great, and does their best to make your vacation top notch!

Food is awesome! We went to MoBay for the italian one night and it was awesome. We ate at the French, and it was great, the beach party, and at Regency. We did breakfast at Regency also, it was just so nice to sit out on on the water, and the food is great! We did breakfast in our room once, which is nice, but we really like the buffet!

We plan on many more Sandals vacations to come, and more at SRC as well!

2 Thank MrsGatorgirl
Cassie C, Review Coordinator at Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island, responded to this review, 8 March 2014
We're so happy that you had another excellent stay at Sandals Royal Caribbean! It's great that you enjoyed the comfort and luxury of our amazing property. Thank you so much for your review. We hope to welcome you back for an even better stay in the near future!

Happy Travels!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,402)
  • Greek first
Rochester, New York
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We spent the week of Feb 22-Mar 1 at the Sandals Royal Caribbean Montego Bay. We had a the Premium room #1112 at the South pool. Although it can be a bit noisy due to the staff preparing in the mornings the room was clean and comfortable. We were not looking for luxury because our stay was for sun and relaxation.
We didn't know what to expect. We knew we would have food and drink, however we didn't expect the service. Although we weren't waited on hand and foot the staff did an excellent job of making sure our stay was easy and stress free. They also excelled in picking up empty glasses and dishes and serving drinks at your lounge chair.
I need to mention some of the staff: Star, Storm, Hollywood, Chico, Kermit, Mario, Ashelle. Although we didn't see the maid service for our room, on our last day Lily came over to talk with us and gave information on what to do with our bags. Very nice woman.
I know these are a few of the names we have remembered and please forgive us if we haven't listed you here. All of the staff was friendly and most of the time greeted us with a good morning or hello.

Room Tip: South pool is quiet. Premium rooms at the end of the building can be noisy in the am due to staff pr...
1 Thank J M
Thank you so much for your review of Sandals Royal Caribbean. We're delighted to read that you had such an awesome time at our resort. I'm so happy that we succeeded in creating that luxury relaxing experience for you.

We look forward to your return for an even better stay in the near future.
Connecticut
Reviewed 2 March 2014

This is a somewhat belated review, but I felt compelled to share our experience. We stayed March time (2013), It was our first week away from kids and thus wanted a "slam dunk" great experience - we had stayed at Sandals many years before for our honeymoon (St. Lucia) and relied on the Sandals brand name once again, because we felt we could trust it - like I said, this was our first vacation alone in many years. We weren't disappointed.

Getting there:
First things first, on arrival, after getting through (a pretty chaotic, it must be said) customs process, we found the Sandals lounge easily. Very nice. We were treated to a drink and told to relax. It wasn't long, though, we had a driver come in and take us to the resort. The drivers are from another company, but they are commissioned by Sandals. No, I wasn't told I had to tip, yes, I have been around the world enough to know when to tip and when not to. Bring a couple of bucks, do the right thing!

The resort is about 15 minutes from the airport - proximity was important to us. We had a week, we didn't want to spend half a day, or longer, of that time traveling. Our rooms weren't immediately available so we got a drink and something to eat.

The rooms:
Very nice. Clean, balcony. We stayed in the concierge block (Kensington). It was perfect. Not sure what else to say here.

The resort:
Small, you'd walk one end to the other in less than 10 minutes, but it was nice. Well maintained. Here's the important thing to know about Sandals: There are various levels of room available. The cheaper ones are a little closer to the action, further from the beach, not all that luxurious (as we remember from our honeymoon). But once you step outside the door, you're pretty much on a level playing field as everyone else. There are no "wristbands" identifying a "level" you are at. Some people were put off by plane noise - there are plane's above, I'd honestly say it was maybe once a day that I was put off by the noise.

Beaches:
If you're looking for long golden strands, this isn't the place for you. The beaches are nice, but not contiguous.

The Island:
Deserves its own category. Some people thought it overrated, some absolutely loved it. Put me in the latter category. Its got a whole different vibe to it, and you really feel like you are away from it all. We spent most of our time on the clothing optional beach, which is less a beach and more a strip of sand next to a retaining wall. Still, it's nice and secluded.

Food/drinks:
Excellent. My wife cooks, very well, and we were more than satisfied. We thought Eleanors was underrated - great food there. We did go to the Thai restaurant, but I'll be honest, the winds were extremely strong that night and it was hard for us to relax and enjoy ourselves. Loved the French restaurant.

Staff:
Superb. Really. I mean top to bottom, they realized that you were on vacation and that they were working. The entertainment crew just worked SO hard, all day (and night) long and they make a real difference. I've read in some reviews that they felt the staff "expected" tips - I would remark to the contrary. Never did I feel that, once. Be nice, respect them for doing hard work, and you'll see them going above and beyond. We were snorkeling one day, my wifes ear ring falls out and the guide with us dives down to the bottom to retrieve it (never got his name, all he expected was a "thanks"). Roxroy. My new name for a hangover! He kept on bringing me fresh concoctions - great guy.

Would I go back? Absolutely! If you have a short vacation planned and you want a mix of good times and proximity to the airport, then this is the place for you.

If the Sandals management is keeping track, the recommendations I would have are: 1) Do something about the "reserving" of beach chairs. OK, I understand the concierge thing, but some people put towels in a chair and leave them there all day. If you're not in your seat by mid morning, take the towels off! This wasn't an issue for us, as we were on the island first thing every morning! 2) Make the "clothing optional" section just "nude" and designate the island as "topless" (which is probably fine anyway). It's not a lot of real estate in that section anyway.

Outside of that, keep doing what you're doing!

Room Tip: The Kensington (Concierge) section seems a little quieter than most of the rest of the resort. There...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank davidmartinomalley
Thank you for your wonderful review of Sandals Royal Caribbean. We're so thrilled to read that you had such an amazing experience with us. It's great to know that you enjoyed every minute of your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back for an even better stay in the future.
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 1 March 2014

My husband and I finally booked a Sandals vacation to celebrate our 3 year anniversary in Nov 2013. Just to give you a little background, we are both 30, travel often and are pretty picky about where we stay. Let me just tell you, we are planning to return next year.

Room: I made the mistake of booking the lowest level room which is the Caribbean Deluxe. The room looks exactly like the pictures, 20 years ago. The darn room was so dated, I could not stand it. I went to the front desk and tried to upgrade. Initially, they gave me some ungodly price and I told him that was just too much. He was very nice and was able to upgrade us to a Royal Sanctuary Grande Luxe for free (still dated but much nicer and clean). This situation could have been a disaster but I appreciate the professionalism of the staff and their quick attention to this matter. So to avoid all of this DO NOT book the cheapest room just to save a few bucks, you will not be happy. So basically all of their rooms look like the pictures, just dated and needing a fresh coat of paint and nicer decor. Not to worry though, everything was clean.

Food: It was nice that you could walk right in to most of the restaurants without a reservation. Our favorite was Eleanor's. We ate there 2 nights in a row. Steak was delicious. Bella Napoli was also delicious! Best jerk chicken pizza! The Mariner's jerk chicken never disappointed (we had it for lunch a few times). Don't be so quick to pass up The Criketers Pub. We had some very yummy fish and chips. The Pub is nice because it is casual and still very good, one of our favorites. We didn't get to try all of the restaurants because we found ourselves going back for more the next day if it was really good. We were pleasantly surprised with the food, I didn't expect it to be that good. Definitely better than resort food in Mexico. And don't forget to try Jamaican Smile drink, heck just try them all.

Service: EXCEPTIONAL (I hope you have the pleasure of meeting KERMIT)

Entertainment: To be fair, we only stayed 4 nights so we did not see a full week of entertainment. Hired singers that we were able to see were very good. Talent show and newlywed game run by staff, not so much. This resort does get pretty quiet at night which we did not mind because we wanted to head to the room at night anyway to enjoy each other, so we did not mind the quietness around the resort in the evening. If you are looking to party with your mate, maybe you should look into Sandals Montego Bay.

MISC: Glass Bottom Boat tour was nice. Plenty water sports to enjoy, most of which are included. We did not make it over to the private island, but heard it was very nice. Plenty of activities on the beach during the day if you choose to participate. I would not purchase excursions directly from Sandals. Take the free shuttle to Sandals Montego Bay and there will be plenty of cabs out front, they will basically take you anywhere.

The only problem with this vacation was that we didn't stay long enough! We can't wait to return with a group of other couples! LOVE LOVE LOVE Sandals!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nlove2010
Thank you so much for your great review! We're so happy to know that you enjoyed your stay at Sandals Royal Caribbean. Your anniversary seemed to be such an amazing experience and I'm glad we had the chance to share this special moment with you.

We can't wait to welcome you back next year!
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 1 March 2014

Sandals Rocks! Just back from a visit Feb 14-21 2014.
Everything from Sandals excellent.
Dezreen is simply awesome in Concierge.
The room we requested a year before was waiting for us.
Diving - Diesel, RJ, Shaq and all the others. Thanks. Great Fun.
Many Thanks to all.

Room Tip: Concierge service is worth the little extra and the room are in a quieter location if you like that...
1 Thank robert f
Cassie C, Review Coordinator at Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island, responded to this review, 1 March 2014
Thank you for your wonderful review of Sandals Royal Caribbean. We're so thrilled to read that you had another amazing experience with us. It's great to know that you enjoyed every moment of your stay and the exciting adventures you encountered.

We look forward to welcoming you back for an even better stay in the future.
Cedar Rapids, IA
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Except for the check-in process, everything we experienced during the week we stayed here was top-notch. A week before our trip, my wife received an email from the resort to "check-in early and save time." Considering the fact that we wanted to hit the beach/pool as soon as we got there, we happily opted for the on-line check-in. When we got to the property, we expected to pick up our keys and head to the room. That did not happen - it took more than an hour to check-in, no real explanation for the delay. After a 6 hour trip, we were not happy with the delay, but they did upgrade our room. After that, it was smooth sailing all the way. The people who worked there were nice, very polite and the food & drinks were plentiful. The private island was really awesome which added "coolness" to the experience. Watch out for those people who get up at 6:00 am to claim their lounge chair by the pool... We'd definitely go back there, despite the check-in fiasco. Eager to try out other Sandals resorts as well.

Room Tip: Get a Beach-view room, especially one with a stocked bar. A shot of rum in your morning coffee neve...
1 Thank Craig S
Thank you for your great review of Sandals Royal Caribbean. We're so happy to read that you had such a great stay with us. We always strive to go above and beyond to please our guests and I'm glad we were able to meet that goal during your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back for an even better experience!
Hastings, Nebraska
Reviewed 27 February 2014

We stayed at the Montego Bay Royal Caribbean in Feb 2014.
Good points: food was very good at restaurants and buffets; resort room was clean and had prompt replies to housekeeping requests; large variety of water sports; butler service (thanks Flo and Adia!) was exceptional--chairs reserved on the beach, restaurant reservations--even on big buffet nights!--they really got to know what we liked and anticipated our needs/wants. Staff in general were very pleasant. I wish I could remember the name of our server at the Thai restaurant--despite being due to have a baby in May, she was all smiles in the heat as she visited with us. Tremaine at the pool was delightful, and we enjoyed the services of Alfred and Camille at the Roma Cucina at the Montego Bay resort.

Bad points: bad filtering system in the main pool. Just yuck. Tight space on the beaches. I like to run/walk along the beach in the morning, and at this resort, you have about 50 yards before you run out of sand, have to go up to the tiles (slick on tennis shoes) and then work your way back to the beach. The workout room was nice, and there was never a wait for equipment when I was there. Hard sand--Montego Bay right next to the airport has the soft sand. Private island was nice, but crowded--one bar? Hmm. Someone needs to rethink that one.

Air traffic--holy cow. It doesn't start until about noon and quits about 9, but for those nine hours it's one loud plane after another every 20 minutes. Kind of kills the relaxing beach vibe.

However, any day on the beach beats a day in the February cold back h

Room Tip: Honeymoon suite had a huge bathroom but no where to sit--either on the mile-high bed or the one chai...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you so much for your review of Sandals Royal Caribbean. We're delighted to read that you had an overall enjoyable time at our resort. We always strive to create that luxury romantic experience for our guests and your feedback helps with the improvement process.

We hope that we can welcome you back in the future for a vacation that exceeds your expectations.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montego Bay