Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island
Ranked #7 of 62 Hotels in Montego Bay
Rye Brook, New York
“Super Great!!”
Reviewed 19 April 2014

I've been on 6 Sandals vacations and this one is right up there in my top 2 ( Antigua is the other one), It was cozy enough to meet other people again and again and, even form new friendships. I'm a snorkler ( went every day twice a day) and had a great time with the water sports staff. They were friendly and helpful especially, Evril, Valentine ( underwater photographer extraordinaire),Davion, Chris Ann. Our housekeeper,Carnecia was very sweet. Odane and Claudiana at the Beach Bar were terrific and , of course, "my Mon" Micah the bartender.
A special thanks to Arnold, the Hotel manager ( who will,hopefully, be the General manager soon) for helping us get a $100.00 credit that was our due.
I will definitely be back to this resort!

Room Tip: I would opt for a second story room with a balcony.
1 Thank Joan C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,382)
  • Greek first
Saint John, Canada
Reviewed 18 April 2014

We arrive 5th did and not have time to enjoy the Sandles lounge, when we arrive as they took our bag right away and took us to the resort. Not even a ten min drive we were their ...... awesome no time wasted .the resort is small but very lavish with shrubbery and beautiful plants well landscaped. We were in a grand deluxe room. We were disappointed in the room as the bathroom was in need of an up grade and the room was small with no beer in the fridge. On the positive note the view was awesome .Ground level room great view of the beach and private island. Three room to the hot tub and a few steps to the night time bar and grill open till 4 am . The private island. Has a beautiful hot tub and swim up pool. Make sure to ask Owen to make his speciality tipsy island drink. The island offers a very good lunch with lots of variety . If you want to get way and just relax this is where you want to go. Make sure to make your reservations the same day you check in for the jardinier restaurant ,,really good food Lionel the waiter was super nice. Also another restaurant not to missout is the Thai on the island , again reservation required.. ...... Shows were all very good. And the bartenders Courtney and Jagan (brother) at the piano bar will keep you entertained. The evening bar and grill cook ONeil was always welcoming when we showed up for our early morning snack. We also took the opportunity to visit and eat at the Montego bay sandle ....very good thing to take advantage of . Word of advice if you want nice room the swim out are nice and don't let any one fool you ......you do hear the planes take off. But after the first few you really don't take note. First ones at 730 and last at night is at 1130 . Would recommend this to any one just get a better room. This was our third time to Jamaica.first time at this resort. Staff are really nice and friendly. Weather was great. Only rained once at night at midnight and was enjoying the hot tub any way . Would consider doing this resort again.

Room Tip: Chose a swim out or get better than a grand delux
Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Louise-Don
Lakewood Ranch, Florida, United States
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Staff: Service and staff were great all around. Especially helpful and friendly were Oakley, Matthew, Francina, and Jodian.
Grounds: very attractive, nice landscaping, well kept.
Room: For a club level room I thought it would be nicer. It was good size with a very nice bathroom, but not the view I was expecting for beachfront. My only other complaints would be that my back did not agree with the mattress and Wi-Fi did not work well in our room (worked ok in other places and on the beach even).
Cleanliness: Excellent, no issues.
Food/drinks: Breakfast and lunches were excellent. Huge variety at breakfast and great sandwiches and pizza for lunch. Drinks were great and bartenders were very good about special requests. Dinner was hit or miss. Royal Thai and Regency were good. Filet Mignon at Le Jardinier was awful. We are not too big on Beringer wine and if you want to pay for something better the wine list is extremely limited.
Beach: Generally pretty (sand quality not great) but if you like to walk it is very small which you don't realize from the pictures. No snorkeling at all off the beach. Limited beach umbrellas meant if you were not on the beach early in the morning you were not getting one. Not sure if this is the norm but it was extremely windy just about the entire week we were there.
Activities: Snorkel trip was great. Due to the wind they would not let you take out the Hobie Cats on your own.

3 Thank Kim L
Ellsworth, Maine
Reviewed 18 April 2014

The swimming area was also small and shallow. We had a butler but he had no time to help us with unpacking the night we arrived.. We didn't receive a cell phone to contact him until later the next day. We were locked out of our room 4 times until they finally changed the lock. Our room was at the far end of the resort so going back and forth to the front desk was a pain. Waiting for the butler to let us in was nothing but a time waster, 1/2 hour which could be better spent at the pool. Staff were wonderful lot's of fun. Food was very good in all the restaurants. I would not go back as I look forward to a large beach when I am on vacation.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank pegclegg
windsor
Reviewed 17 April 2014

I have never wrote a review for a resort, but I felt compelled to this time. I just returned yesterday from 7 nights at the Royal Carribean. BEST….RESORT….EVER! Please, if you are hesitating on booking this place, DON'T!
FOOD
AWESOME, ate at Royal Thai, The Regency (buffet), Le Jardinier, The Pub, The bamboo shack, The Mariner, Pizzeria and La Cucina at the montage bay resort. NEVER HAD A BAD OR SLOW MEAL, THE BEST!
POOLS
they had both a main pool for more social time, and two quieter pools. I have read that people complain about there not being enough towels during the day, get up and get one before breakfast, it's that simple.
BEACH
Yes, as you have read, if you are a beach person, this resort is not for you. Small beach but perfect for my liking.
PRIVATE ISLAND
This is what makes the resort (as well as the entertainment staff). I cannot tell you how amazing it is. beach, pool, bar, food. Snorkeling is not the greatest for those who like to snorkel, but you can go out daily for snorkelling tours (we went twice, not an overabundance of fish, but good)
WATERSPORTS
good
ENTERTAINMENT
What can I say about these employees. AWESOME!!!! They really made the trip. This group of people are the BEST I have ever came across at a resort. Kermit, Queeny, Chiko, Hollywood….wish I could remember everyone's name!!!! Devon from the bar, Kevin from the pub, Valentin from the snorkelling tours……So, So many …..I never did come across an employee that didn't go out of their way to make our trip memorable. THE MOST AMAZING STAFF I HAVE EVER ENCOUNTERED!!!

And if you read about people complaining about the noise from the planes going overhead….Don't listen to them. Really….you are in the carribean…most of the time I didn't even notice I was having so much fun….Not a factor at this resort.

The only negative thing I have to say is how hard it is not to give these employees tips. They work so hard for what they do. But, on the other hand, it was nice not having people expect it.

If you are looking at booking this resort …….DO IT!!!!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jody s
Newark, California
Reviewed 17 April 2014

My wife planned our honeymoon to Jamaica and we stayed at the Sandals Royal Caribbean and were pleased beyond measure. Our Royal Butlers for our stay were Tajae and Danae. They made our stay memorable with their professionalism and charm.

Their assistance throughout our honeymoon far exceeded their occupational standards. They did it with ease and a loving nature. Felt like family.

God Bless their Kind Souls!

Mr. and Mrs. Kim and Don Graves

Room Tip: The partial ocean view with private patio is the room to enjoy.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Cassie C, Review Coordinator at Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Thank you for your review of Sandals Royal Caribbean. We're happy that you had a beautiful and relaxing honeymoon at our resort. It's great that Tajae and Danae made an excellent impression on you during your stay!

We hope to welcome you back in the near future for another great stay!
Mt . vernon
Reviewed 16 April 2014

We had a great time actually everything that we thought was lost in our relationship only needed the right place to rekindle it all beautiful place and good food and romantic setting. Never a dull moment ever night was a wonderful experience this place brought tears to my eyes...the beach was breath taking and the staff was very polite, well mannered and friendly at your request. One thing for sure never was I in need of a drink they kept it flowing. ...lol We can't wait to return I wouldn't change anything wonderful experience I've been to Jamaica over 17 times n this trip was trip to Sandals was the best I cried when it was time to leave. ...........

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank pjames0320
Thank you for your review of Sandals Royal Caribbean. We're so happy to read that you had such an outstanding vacation with us. We always strive to go above and beyond to please our guests and I'm glad we were able to meet that goal during your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back for an even better experience in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montego Bay