“great resort and fabulous people”

Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island
Ranked #7 of 62 Hotels in Montego Bay
jackson, mi
“great resort and fabulous people”
Reviewed 23 May 2014

As with 99% of past reviews of Sandals Royal Caribbean, we must say that we agree with them.
We traveled April 12-19 this year and it was our first time at this Sandals. We had so much fun and loved every single person we came into contact with. Our butler Flo was FABULOUS. She treated us like a king and queen. We will be asking for her again. Most of our evenings were spent in the "pub" and dearly loved Hot Rod and Big Bird....Jagan was also great. We never had an empty glass. They were so much fun and we laughed and laughed with them.
The resort itself was small, but ok with us for a change of pace. The room was clean and beautiful. The resort island was a great relaxing day and I wished we didn't wait until our second to last day to stay over there for the day. I would have done it more as it was so nice being right on the beach enjoying the sound of the waves. The restaurants were all easy to get into and
all the food was wonderful and we were never disappointed. Everyone was so friendly and spoke to us as we walked by, always asking if we needed anything and how we were doing. We did the catamaran "tour" to Margaritaville and it was a blast as always. Love it. The couples massage was very relaxing. We also did Club MoBay...totally worth it.
If you want a close place to airport, this is the place to go. We will go back...
Thanks for such a terrific experience.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank traveladyJackson_Mi
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island, responded to this review, 25 May 2014
Thank you for your review of Sandals Royal Caribbean.

We are so pleased that you had a wonderful first visit with us and enjoyed the relaxing vibes of Jamaica. It is always our goal to provide the best to our guests and it's wonderful hear that you look forward to returning for more fantastic vacation experiences.
We cannot wait to welcome you back!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,382)
  • Greek first
New England
Reviewed 22 May 2014

I stayed at SRC on my first trip to Jamaica this spring. The trip was nice and I would definitely go back, both to the island and to the resort, but there are some pretty hefty pitfalls that if not avoided can seriously impact your trip.

Booking through the website was a disaster at best. If the room category you are trying to book is not available the website will offer you a different room without telling you that the room you are booking is not what you clicked on. I knew the building I wanted to stay in and the room type, but since there are so many room categories with similar names, I didn't notice until it was too late that my my room category was not what I wanted. [Text censored] I know it is not just me. The site is confusing at best, and ought to be updated to make it clear when a substitute room is being offered. Better yet, if the room is not available for the week in question the site should automatically ask the visitor if they want to keep the dates and look at other rooms, or keep the room and consider other dates. That would be the most user friendly change they could make. (Yes, I work in IT so technologies that don't function at their peak triggers the solution architect in me.)
It also didn't help that the room I ultimately stayed in, a honeymoon suite on the third floor of the crystal lagoon building, was falling apart on us. The light on the balcony was out on us when we arrived. Then the fan blew and one of the shower heads didn't have water, and then the tub stopped draining.
All of these issues were addressed for the most part (the tub drain was never really fixed, but we didn't need it so it wasn't a big deal) and the maintenance staff was super friendly and entertaining while we hung out in the room together waiting for a new switch to fix the fan. I was impressed by the customer service focus of all the staff even those who don't do jobs normal considered customer facing.
Other than the disappointment of the room, the only other issues during my stay stemmed from the communication (and often lack there of) with the butler and the fact that my partner and I were still on a very early east coast business schedule, so awake at 5am and asleep by 10pm, which was very different hours from the main populous of the resort and meant we often were scrambling for robes to answer the door at night when the butler and staff assumed we would be out partying and not trying to get to sleep.
I take a lot of responsibility here, as I was not clear and upfront about our schedule and desires. But as the week went by, Elis and Hughill and I got much better at communicating and in the end, it was really nice to have their services for the week. Advice I would give to anyone who is staying in a butler suite, ask for what you want and be clear about it. "I want coffee and a snack at 5 pm today and I will be on the beach so please bring it there", for instance, worked well by the end of the week, although there was one day where I asked for my evening coffee/snack to arrive at the private island and Elis said he wasn't sure he could make that happen as the island closes at 5. I thought I had left it with him that he would call me back to let me know if it was a go or now, so when I didn't hear from him, I left the island at 5 when I was asked to by the ferry staff. About 30 minutes later I got a call from Elis telling me he has managed to make it work out and brought my coffee to the island and where was I. We both ended up having a good laugh over it.
The rest of the resort was wonderful. The beaches are nice, although I could do with some more room to swim; the roped off swimming area is really small and not very deep. The food was generally good, even at the buffet, where I never had a bad meal.
We spent a lot of time sitting in the shade on the beach and reading and it was a lovely vacation. One I will definitely do again although not so great it will jump ahead of other experiences I want to go back to.

Room Tip: Be very careful when booking on the website that you get the exact room you want.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank knobhdy
Odenton, Maryland
Reviewed 20 May 2014

The best thing here was the staff who, for the most part were excellent from cleaning staff on up. Upkeep and cleanliness were obviously important in almost all areas. The food was very good, but we were disappointed in the Thai restaurant. It did not measure up to the hype. We came for a family wedding with a group of about 25. The wedding was beautiful, along with the rehearsal dinner on the beach and the reception in the garden following the ceremony. Beach bar staff were excellent and so was their food! They work hard from open to close and were very friendly and attentive. The main pool water was filmy most of the day with too many bathers and too many group events going on (contests and such) to be considered relaxing. The sea area is often full of seaweed so many people use the pool. The spa was wonderful. Several of us had massages, and other treatments, and the bride and her sister had make up and hair done before the wedding. Our biggest negative here was the small beach and swimming area, and snorkeling was below average. We have traveled to many islands and this was the most disappointing aspect of our entire stay. A very small area to swim in with lots of debris floating in the water, and you could only go out to neck high depth. All staff was above average save for one hostess in the Jamaican themed restaurant (no reservations taken) who continually told us "10 more minutes" while she took 8 couples ahead of us. And we did tip discretely to many of the staff so that was not the issue. That was the best meal we had there in any of the restaurants. The majority of staff here was outstanding in all areas from the representative meeting us at the airport to the front desk staff on up. Most everyone strives to offer assistance, and make you feel that they want to do all they can to make your stay with them memorable for all the right reasons.

Room Tip: Hint: Do not book a room near the lobby as some other family members did, because the peacocks will...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank SparkleFarkle
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island, responded to this review, 24 May 2014
Thank you for your review of Sandals Royal Caribbean.

We are truly happy to hear that our staff was able to assist you and we appreciate you taking the time to recognize their hard work. However, we were disappointed to note that you were not completely satisfied with your stay and we apologize for any shortcoming on our part. Your feedback is important to us and I will be sharing your remarks with the General Manager and his team for immediate evaluation. We hope that after addressing your concerns and making the necessary adjustments, you will afford us an opportunity to showcase the true hospitality and beauty of our resort.
Motherwell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Let's start by saying how I am and have always been treated over 5 separate stays. Magnificent would be the word right from entering and on this occasion 7May from being greeted by the man Oakley always smiling and honestly glad to see you. Next shepherded into the Club Sandals lounge and welcomed into the resort by Dezreen and Kirkland who are the most professional front facing staff you could hope to meet if just visiting for the first time. Great experience from start to finish. Room allocated was brilliant. Throughout our stay which ends on 21May we have been treated as VIP guests and thought it was just my wife and me but no ever guest was treated with respect and the same importace, my respect to all staff. You have to make the trip to get the best food in any resort I have tasted and continually top class. French restaurant was great the Thai dining on a secluded island just off the property is something to be treasured as a romantic night and great food the lady Pheonia is a star. On site again the Recency casual dining during day with buffet was fantastic and staff very attentive especially the supervisor Janice what an attention to detail she has. Who can forget Andre in the Cricketers pub which serves country English food with a twist assisted by Kevin big bird is his handle you need to visit to see why. The pool guys Neville and Jeffery are also attentive at the pool taking care of everything.

Outstanding members of staff have to be mentioned the following made the vacation a trip to remember.
MR Sheldon James, Mr McCarthy at the Soon come back desk along with Verna at the grill. I would recommend this resort as an outstanding place to vacation. The friends we have met here which include staff have been something to behold thanks. You cannot go anywhere in this resort without a staff member saying hello or trying to make your stay more special by making conversation with you. I was also visited by a manager from another resort Some distance away who had heard we were staying again her name is Miss Pink if that's not making it a special then what can.
John & Angela Kyle

Room Tip: You will like all categories but sometimes you get a little surprise by getting given a special upgr...
Three Rivers, Michigan
Reviewed 16 May 2014

This is our second time staying at Sandals Royal Caribbean. We love the romantic, secluded, and smaller feel it has. Last time we were there we had our whole family with us because we got married. This time it was just us. We stayed in the club level ground floor again. We loved it. The concierge office was always willing to help you. My husband planned a private candlelightdinner that was beyond amazing. Everything at this resort is top notch.
The resort was a little bit busier this time than last, but there were a lot of big weddings going on. We went April 29-may 7th.the weather was perfect. Our favorite spot is the beach in front of our room, the Kensington beach.
Food was amazing. Make sure you get a reservation for the royal Thai! And try the fish and chips from cricketeers. I'm not a huge fish fan and they had me craving fish and chips for the rest of my stay!!! Italian night at the regency was delicious also! None of the food gets boring. We ate at the regency more than once and it was just as good as the last meal!
For entertainment, our favorite is still the steel drum band that comes and plays. They are amazing!
The grounds are beautiful and they are constantly sweeping up dead leaves, picking flowers, and grooming it to perfection. Excellent job landscaping crew!
For outside excursions, our wonderful Travel agent, Ruth DeMuth from Trip Guy Travel, set us up with personalized tours from Reggae Tours. They were amazing, and just what we wanted to do. Big thanks to Ruth for all the help she did planning this trip. With her help, everything was perfect for our one year wedding anniversary. If not she was a phone call away. Every time I had a question about anything, she was there( just like she was the first time, when I was trying to plan my wedding) With quick responses. We will never book without Ruth again. Can't get much better than a certified sandals specialist! We sincerely appreciate everything she does for us and how quick she handles things. We love this resort and can't wait to be back "home"... I wish it was tomorrow!

Room Tip: Club level is a plus, try a Jamaican smile,
4 Thank SammyJ7
Raymond, New Hampshire
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Vacation for 8 days last week. A quaint resort with a British flair. Had Butler service great treat. Stayed Crystal lagoon oceanview. Room just as pictured. Airplane noise not a issue. Private island great getaway. Food excellent. The staff make this resort. We had some issues with charges it was corrected and handled professionally. Do not hessate to book if a quite and relaxed environment is what you are looking for.

• Stayed May 2014
3 Thank kacraymond
Jersey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 May 2014

We were last in this resort 25years ago for our wedding and returned 2014 for our wedding anniversary. The resort has added lots more rooms without increasing the resort boundary so the physical space is now smaller and risks overcrowding, the beaches and private island are very small, that said we found a quiet space every day and there is no shortage of sunbeds, you can also use the other sandals hotels facilities and there is a free shuttle between them, we also hopped the wall into the Rui hotel next door and walked the long stretch of beach they they there to get some space. Positive: resort is spotless, staff are so friendly and accommodating, food was brilliant, lots of choice and beautifully presented, the Dive team are very professional with great local knowledge, we dived every day with several team members who were all equally professional but a special mention for Diesel for his evident passion for the environment, and Rajiv for being such a happy and nice guy during our refresher course. Negatives: Booked a luxury honeymoon beachfront concierge room so were disappointed that original room allocated was on a corner with no view of beach or pool. Asked to change rooms and were told hotel was full but after a couple of nights were finally given a proper beachfront room. Our booking clearly said 25th wedding anniversary and I emailed sandals in advance to ask for special treatment as we actually were married in the resort before it was common to do so. I even had my marriage cert with me, they did decorate the room with petals and a cake on our anniversary but I was disappointed they didn't do more and especially should have given us the best room to start with, an upgrade would have been nice. Hint, concierge is helpful but Butler service isn't worth the extra money,the resort is small you don't need to phone your butler to fetch you a drink or book a table for you.

Room Tip: Take the concierge service room on the furthest block from the main pool for peace and quiet, then y...
1 Thank LINDAJERSY