Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island
Ranked #7 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
“The Worst”
Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

This place is way over priced, the air conditioning was broke and they wouldn't fix it, the location was okay, and the wedding we attended was unorganized because SANDALS couldn't handle what they had going on. I've been to Jamaica and stayed at the Grand Palladium....amazing place and half the price. Sandals is a joke. Will never stay at one again!

• Stayed April 2014
5 Thank LizzyL19
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Thank you for your review, Lizzy.

We regret to hear that you did not enjoy your stay at Sandals Royal Caribbean. It seems that we did not meet your expectations during your visit with us and for this, we do sincerely apologize. As hoteliers we realize that there is always room for improvement and feedback is crucial in this process. Therefore, your comments have been passed on to the relevant departments for immediate evaluation and action as needed. We appreciate your input and if you have any further concerns, please feel free to contact our Customer Care Team at 1888-SANDALS for assistance.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,419)
  • Greek first
Texas
Reviewed 30 May 2014

This was our 10th visit to a Sandals resort (twice to this one). Everything was great as it was the first time we were there. Staff go above and beyond to help everyone. We stayed at the Clarence building, swim-up suites. These are very nice and close to everything. You won't have a view of the beach so if this is important to you get the rooms on 2nd and 3rd floor or pick another building.
Spoke to several people who were also staying here and they also had visited this resort more than once! We would also like to come back for a 3rd visit soon!!!!!
I mentioned in my last review that this resort is small everything is easy access. If you want a big resort you might look at Ocho Rios Grande.
This is a place to come relax and enjoy every single day!!!!!

1 Thank ap0805
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
Thank you for your wonderful review of Sandals Royal Caribbean!
We appreciate your loyalty over the years and we are truly honored to hear how much you enjoy your time with us. We are delighted that we were able to exceed all of your expectations again and we enjoy creating these lovely memories with you.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Garnet Valley, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 29 May 2014

As it is my only experience with a Sandals resort, I cannot offer a comparison. However, I loved it so much that I went back again the very next year. What is most impressive is the people. Some even remembered us a year later. The whole team works very hard to ensure your complete satisfaction. It is the "no problem" attitude brought to life!

Room Tip: Rooms in the Kensington were quieter but same great view and pool of its own.
1 Thank joanne d
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear Joanne,

Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful experience at Sandals Royal Caribbean with us! We are delighted to hear that your staff did an excellent job at seeing that you had a fantastic time in Jamaica and they will be grateful for your kind mention.
We hope you return soon, as we look forward to welcoming you back for another fantastic vacation!
UK
Reviewed 29 May 2014

At the risk of sounding boring, we just returned from another fabulous trip here. As always every single staff member made our stay so special. Although we can only mention a few - every person deserves thanks or their warmth, smiles and service which were outstanding.
Watersports/sailing are always a highlight - special thanks as always for Andrew who went out of his way to provide lots of fun - but the whole team are fantastic at making sure the activities and pools are fantastic for the guests. Food as always fantastic - desserts had certainly changed and stepped up a level - fabulous creme brulee at the French and the chocolate fondant with ginger at the returning guests dinner was great - coming back for that please.
Thanks to Nicole and Nickae for a great anniversary day on the island in our cabana and a very romantic dinner on the beach which we will never forget.
The bar staff remain as entertaining and attentive as ever - thanks Dom, Courtney, Rohan, Rodane, Roderick, Michal, Verna, Big bird and Cleveland (and all the others I didn't mention sorry!) - and Odane and Tracey-Ann win the biggest smiles awards as ever. Not to forget the dining room staff - Shelley-Ann and Denise brightened up breakfast every day and again everyone looked after us fantastically.
Great day on the Reggae Cruise snorkelling, sliding at Margaritaville and drinking way too much rum on the way home. Lovely time at the Red Lane Spa being pampered.
In sort another fabulous holiday - we feel at home every time we come back and will continue to do so - it may not be the biggest or fanciest resort in the Caribbean but if you want to be looked after and spoilt in a beautiful location this would be hard to beat.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your thoughtful review, Pam and John.
It was very kind of you to take the time to mention the people that made your recent stay at Sandals Royal Caribbean so special! Our staff will be delighted to know that you thoroughly enjoyed your time with them and returned home with happy memories of your most recent holiday in Jamaica. We hope you will "soon come back". We cannot wait to welcome you back home!
Weirton, West Virginia
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Got married at Sandals Royal Caribbean on April 26, 2014! The grounds are Beautiful and the ceremony was perfect!! Nigel, the Wedding Captain, was AMAZING!! He made sure all the little details were present in each of our pictures, while making sure the guests were having a great time! I will Never forget his Smile!! It is very contagious!!! My Wedding Dinner was perfect and arranged by very a very caring woman working the front desk that was determined to make my day special! The nightly entertainment is fabulous and I have to say that Chico and Kermit do a Wonderful job at making everyone feel comfortable joining in the activities! My Aunt, who recently lost her husband of over 40 years was hesitant to participate in some of the activities, but Kermit really brought her out of her shell! :) I will be forever greatful to him for helping her have a vacation of a lifetime!! The food is EXCELLENT!!! And the variety is endless! During our 10 day stay we had the pleasure of meeting so many great bartenders and servers, but Domique really stands out as my favorite bartender! Domique took the time to learn our names, and show us some "tricks" he has learned along the way! It shows that he enjoys his job and he made sure we always had a drink in our hands! (Gotta try his Island Vibe!) I cant leave a review of this hotel without mentioning ODane!!! He is by far the BEST Employee Sandals could ever hope to have!!! NOT once did I see him without a giant smile on his face!! ODane spreads cheer wherever he is going and was always so attentive to any requests we may have had!! I guess what I am trying to say with all of this is that SRC really impressed me and has made me a believer in perfect vacations! I will look to stay at Sandals facilities in the future as I have never had an all inclusive vacation that was as impressive as this!!! Thank You SRC and Staff!!! Hope to see you all again soon!!!

Room Tip: We stayed in a Butler Suite during our trip to SRC! I would recommend to everyone do the same!! Be...
Sandhurst, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Again another wonderful resort, and the Jamaicans made it great !
We only has a lead in room and missed our club facilities so recommend the Club or Butler Level rooms. Quiet pool was a hit and very popular but with limited sunbeds on the beach area and pool it stayed quiet so perfect for us. Grill/Pizza area at lunchtime was excellent good variety. Main swim up pool not our favourite but can't fault it. Private Island was ok...it has a clothes optional area....but I believe they are making changes to this area water villas I hear but not confirmed. Entertainment was at its best because the Jamaicans are proud to be Jamaican.

Room Tip: Upgrade to Club Level or Butler Level, for a private balcony you need to book and upper floor otherw...
1 Thank Alison W
Greeneville, Tennessee
Reviewed 29 May 2014

My wife and I returned to SRC for our 1 yr anniversary because we enjoyed it so much on our honeymoon. Only a few things had changed since my first review of the property a year ago.

The property itself is well maintained. I would suggest if you can afford it to get at least a mid-level room. Butler service, in my opinion, isn't worth the extra money. We had no problems with reservations or getting a good spot on the beach(hotel was over 90% full at the time of our stay).

Food: The food is pretty good at the various restaurants. We both loved Tokyo Joe's and would suggest making the very short trip down to Sandals Montego Bay to dine there. Great food and views. Mariner's grill is really good for a midday snack. Try the jerk burger! We both loved the pizza last year when we went, but this year we found that they had changed something because they tasted like frozen pizza and weren't good at all. Also go over to the island for the jerk chicken lunch there.

The Beach: There are a few good spots to lounge by the "beach" at SRC. I would suggest getting a spot at the far end of the property just past the rental cabanas or on the island. If you love a beach with sand and a little room to walk I would suggest going to Sandals Montego bay for the day. The beach there is WAY better than at SRC!!! My wife and I loved it there. Water color, sand, and general room to move about trumps SRC. We love being able to stay at one property and use the others too. This is a great feature.

Cons of SRC: No beach, peacocks are noisy and start around 5 a.m. I was also disappointed with the nightly entertainment. It was almost the exact same thing they had last year when we stayed. I can't understand why they think having an opera singer is a good thing. We have been the past 2 years and there was never more than 3-4 people sitting down to watch this. After about 11 other than Cricketer's bar there isn't much to do.

Despite the Cons above I would recommend this resort to anyone, I am just being thorough with my review. Sandals is amazing and they know how to treat people!!!

TIPS for your stay....Always ask for an upgrade because they will try their best to accommodate you. We were upgraded our last 2 nights into an amazing room! Go to Sandals Mobay for a beach day as you will love it. Don't worry or complain about the airplanes that go over. Its 10-15 seconds of noise. No worries!

I

Room Tip: Get at least a mid-level room. Butler service isn't needed for the extra money it costs. The che...
1 Thank boaty33