Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island
Secrets St. James Montego Bay(Montego Bay)(Great Value!)
US$609
Bookit.com
Sunscape Splash Montego Bay(Montego Bay)(Great Value!)
US$254
US$216
  • Breakfast included
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay(Montego Bay)(Great Value!)
US$244
US$217
  • Breakfast included
Royal Decameron Montego Beach(Montego Bay)(Great Value!)
US$198
Hotels.com
  • Pool
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay(Montego Bay)(Great Value!)
US$623
  • Breakfast included
Deja Resort(Montego Bay)(Great Value!)
US$210
US$191
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa(Rose Hall)(Great Value!)
US$415
US$322
  • Pool
Half Moon(Montego Bay)(Great Value!)
US$444
US$409
Sunscape Cove Montego Bay(Montego Bay)(Great Value!)
US$545
US$253
US$97
5,875 results
All reviewsthai restaurantroyal caribbeankensington buildingbig birdbutler servicebamboo shackcrystal lagoonle jardinierregency restaurantour honeymoonmain pooltracy anncricketers pubclothing optional beachbutler suitebeach grillwhite night
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We went for my 40th birthday in April. The weather was fantastic. We had a butler/swim up suite for 6 days.

When we got there it took a little bit for our room to be ready...no problem...we just drank a beer and took a stroll around the property while we waited. Our butlers were ShariAnn/Andre. Both were great and we were very happy with the butler services. They were very helpful in taking care of our dinner reservations each night and that was very helpful!

We had spent 4 days in Vegas prior to heading to Jamaica so we really wanted some quiet and down time. This place can deliver that! The airplanes did pass over every day as you will read in other posts...it didn't bother us. My wife loved the peacock that was running around the resort and you could hear it whenever someone got a little close.

The spa was good but they couldn't figure out the billing to save themselves and messed up the duration of what we booked...not a huge issue all in all...I was ready to take a nap by the time we were done anyway! The food was fine, drinks were fine, entertainment was marginal but not something we attend much anyway.

There is indeed not much beach here at all. My wife and I love taking long walks on the beach we hit the islands...if you need that...this is not your place! But there are plenty of other things to wander around and see so make the best of it. The private island was nice and it was mostly our friends from Canada and the UK over shakin' their junk at the nude beach. Ironically enough we had both staying next to us and both were frequent visitors to the nude island beach...they loved it! It has a large shallow beach that looked pretty cool...I think it was just a little outside our comfort zone to hang out over there.

It's a short ride to the resort from the airport so that was all good. We gave tips to our butlers and the shuttle drivers...otherwise we were advised not to tip. Our butlers were not exactly even in service so we gave one $60 and the other $40...in case you were wondering. Others around us were tipping $20 each and were there longer...but to each their own...what was the service the offered worth to you? Tip accordingly!

Folks from the other resorts show up quite a bit. Some are annoying and paying way less than we did for the higher end resort...that was somewhat irritating as they filled the entire pool on the private island the day we went over there. You would think that if you paid for the resort you were staying in that you could at least get in the pool at your resort. That said...the pool on the island isn't exactly huge so it doesn't take 20 people from the Carlyle to cause this to happen.

Sandals overall was very good and we were please enough to book our Anniversary trip for 2015 to Antigua...we got a private rondoval with our own pool at pretty good discounts! It seems like booking your next trip at the end of your current trip gives you pretty good deals.

Room Tip: Choose what you like...beach/ocean side, higher floor ocean view, swim up suite, or whatever you want...they are all available. Butler/Swim up suites do not have much of an ocean view...just FYI.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Please forget any negative review you have read if you are looking for a honeymoon spot this is the place it was so beautiful the staff was amazing, did not meet a single un happy employee. Our room was clean spotless and the view to die for. I just want people to know how great it was and just to get there. The private island was spectacular and the water was blue as blue can be. We had great food every night and the drive to montego bay was only 5 mins on a bus. we would go back in a heart beat.

5  Thank Marianna L
Reviewed 2 June 2014

This Sandals location has great water, but the beaches are somewhat limited in size (compare to Sandals Montego Bay nearby). The property is deceptively large, but the hangout areas can feel limited after a few days. That said, the entertainment group worked around the clock and were outstanding. Excursions are a bit limited as the marine fleet is not a centerpiece of the resort. If that's what you're looking for try the Grande Riviera about two hours east. Also, the gym was great, but the spa was underwhelming (again - look to Mo' Bay nearby). Overall, a good experience but one do-over would be upgrading to concierge.

Room Tip: The best, and largest, rooms are only for concierge. Trust me, after seven days with your spouse extra space indoors are premium.
1  Thank DevFitz
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We stayed here for our honeymoon and I had purposely chosen the Caribbean Grande Luxe Poolside for what was described as a "large whirlpool tub". We had hoped to enjoy a soak in the tub together while drinking campaign. This was not possible. The tub ended up being no bigger than the tiny one we had in our apartment and looked absolutely nothing like it was pictured. We also paid for a romantic candlelight dinner on our own that was pretty much completely ruined by a loud wedding reception going on about twenty feet from our table. The food was also less than ideal. The salmon on our candlelight dinner was the driest I'd ever eaten in my life. I expected much more from Sandals and feel that we were ripped off. I would not go to another Sandals resort again after this. The only reason that I rating this as a three instead of lower is because of the excellent entertainment staff and service. The resort itself was also very nice. I just don't feel like I got what I paid for.

Room Tip: Do not choose the Grande Luxe Poolside for the tub. It is not at all as described.
1  Thank JCB51014
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Thank you for your review of Sandals Royal Caribbean.
We strive to keep the highest standard of quality and service and we deeply regret if we did not quite live up to your expectations. It's disheartening to know that you returned home feeling disappointed with your honeymoon experience and we do apologize for any shortcoming on our part. I have sent you a message for a few additional details in regards to your experience and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

My husband and I stayed here early February 2014 and thoroughly enjoyed our four night stay. This was our first visit at a Sandals resort and it was worth every penny spent. We booked a club level room in the Kensington building which was far enough away from the hustle and bustle of the nightlife that it was very quiet in the evenings. The Kensington building also has its own pool which is a nice touch. We rented a cabana one day during our stay which was nice and relaxing. We had our own butler for the day that went along with the cabana and they provided us with a cooler of drinks, sunscreen, and a phone. Whenever we wanted a drink or food all we had to do was call. We felt like royalty for the day. We also sampled all of the restaurants. Our favorite was the thai restaurant on the private island. My husband asked to speak with the chef and he created a special dish using scotch bonnet peppers as my husband loves spicy food. The service we experienced was absolutely wonderful. My only complaint for this resort is that the beach is somewhat broken up by concrete piers so it makes the beach difficult to walk if you like to stroll. However, the beach is well taken care of and most of the workers are out in the mornings and afternoons raking the washed up seaweed away. And as a side note, you will hear some plane traffic while at this resort, mainly in the afternoon. This did not bother us and after awhile we did not even notice. Take advantage of the water sports. My husband and I kayaked, snorkled, and took a hobie cat out. It is worth your time. This was truly an enjoyable and romantic vacation. We cannot wait to return!

Room Tip: Kensington Building is quiet and a little ways from most of the restaurants and nightlife.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple