“My recent wedding at Sandals”

Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island
Ranked #7 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Memphis, Tennessee
“My recent wedding at Sandals”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I recently stayed at this resort. I am giving them 2 stars because of my room. We booked a swim up butler suit and the pool could not been seen from our room. I tried to sort it out at the resort with the butler manager Tamara but she blew me off. I emailed corporate and was given a response a few days later from the hotel manager that said I was put in a swim up suite. I sent him the picture asking how that was a swim up suite and have yet to hear back. The pictures online do not match the room I recieved. It upsets me as I paid over 5k just for the room. I will say the staff at this resort is amazing and my personal butlers Danae and Dwayne were great. The wedding planner Annalicia was super pleasant and great to work with too. Nicola and Dom at the bar were the best bartenders ever! I really wish the upper managment would own up to giving us a down graded room/ acknowlege they falsely advertise what their rooms really have to offer.

Room Tip: DO NOT spend the extra money on what they call a swim up butler suite. The pictures online do not ma...
8 Thank Julie B
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Hello Julie,
Thank you for your review of Sandals Royal Caribbean. We are happy that overall you enjoyed your time with our wonderful staff and had a fantastic Wedding day. Still, we did note that the room assignment confusion lessened your enjoyment of this very special trip and that you left with a less than stellar impression of our resort. We appreciate you bringing your concerns to our attention and we are sorry to hear that despite the best efforts of our staff to remedy the situation, you returned home dissatisfied. Please feel free to speak with one of our Customer Care specialists at 1-888-SANDALS to discuss any concern you may have regarding your Weddingmoon experience, they will be happy to assist.
Thank you once again for all of your feedback.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,419)
  • Greek first
wellsboro
Reviewed 18 June 2014

beautiful resort great service, fantastic wedding for my daughter. we had a great time, lots to do fine restaurants, very nice flora and fauna. very nice. cats here and there begging don't know why, mosquitos one security person called them sharks because they bite so hard. the wedding was well planned, worked well, they took care of everything very very nice, highly recommended all inclusive food, water sports, drinks, catamaran was wow!

Room Tip: all rooms great many different choices
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank pat j
Barrington, New Jersey
Reviewed 18 June 2014

SRCR was absolutely wonderful. A perfect combination of relaxation and activities. Do it all or sit back watch and enjoy. From check in to check out our experience could not have been better. From the beautiful white sand and blue water to dinning on the deck overlooking the ocean at sun set. No words can describe laying in your own private Cabana on a private island which has a swim up bar (yes a swim up bar on the private island) Then add in your own personal butler. WOW The service hands down was the best, Special thanks to our Butlers (Ellis and Hugh) Who were always there at a moments notice. Breakfast in Bed, DONE. Lunch By the pool, DONE. Dinner reservations. DONE. Mini Bar filled. DONE. One phone call away and the world is yours. Not the mention the very cool way they knock on the door. "ITS YOUR BUTLEEEEEEERRRR.... ( You have to hear said to understand)

Finally I can not forget about BEACH BUM VACATIONS AND STEVE. In one word, Amazing. I can say we were very difficult clients. Due to our limited time of our engagement, our need to procrastinate and just not knowing what we wanted for our honey moon. Steve was there. The whole process can be very scary. There are so many what if's. Where to go, where to stay, safety, travel, accommodations and the over all worry about making a bad decision. Steve is the perfect travel agent. A combination of professionalism and knowledge. (Yes Steve has pretty much traveled to most of the resorts you may be considering vacationing at) You tell him what you like to do, what your interests are and even what you drink. He does all the research and gives you multiple options. Steve made the process of booking our honey moon painless and I never doubted we would have a wonderful time at a beautiful resort. Steve is the only travel agent I will ever use, I am so happy we found him.

26 Thank William W
United states
Reviewed 17 June 2014

This is our second sandals. Five years ago we went to ocho rios. This resort is ok. The staff is great and the snorkeling on the beach at the resort and at the island was awesome. We went on a few diving and snorkel excursions but they failed in comparison to all the lion fish, blow fish, tiger fish, sand rays, urchins, jellyfish, octopus, crabs, and sting rays that we saw just a few feet from our room. Drinks and food are delicious as always. I had read reviews about the planes being loud, but didn’t put much thought into it (thinking they were just being picky), but the planes are very noticeable at times. The beach is a bit rocky but walkable. The water this time of year was perfect temp. This resort was not as nice or as big as ochos rios and our room this time was not as nice. I think this resort is older than the one in ochos rios, but I did like this beach better and it definitely had better snorkeling. The activities at royal Caribbean were minimal, mostly just volleyball as almost everything else was cancelled. We did take the shuttle one day to Montego Bay, but their activities were cancelled as well. We didn’t like Montego Bay as much as our resort, but the beach was better (snorkeling was not). Mosquitos run rampant at night so take repellent. We didn’t and I myself got 28 mosquito bites within one hour. The absolute worst thing was the smoke! Anyone with respiratory problems should avoid this resort. There are a lot of huts and things that trap cigarette smoke in so when one person smokes it stays there. Then around 6 pm they light bonfires everywhere. Us and our neighbors both have lung problems (among others staying at the resort) and agreed that once they light the bonfires that we are stuck in our rooms the whole evening. We couldn’t go out and enjoy the shows or nightlife or dinner. Plus the rooms have plastered shutters that cannot close, so the smoke wiffs into the rooms (if you are close enough). Also, the air conditioner is set so that you cannot make it go lower than 70 degrees F, making if get very hot and sticky at times and impossible to sleep at night and impossible to blow the smoke out of the room. (no ceiling fan either). Sandals is a great company but we will not be going back to this resort.

5 Thank Kara F
Monroe, Michigan
Reviewed 17 June 2014

My wife and I are Select Platinum Members and have booked two weeks vacations yearly at Sandals Resorts for the last four years. Our recent vacation was for two weeks (April 22nd to May 6th) at Sandals Royal Caribbean in Jamaica. We had an overall enjoyable stay primarily due to inviting our close friends to accompanying us. It was their very first time in the Caribbean, Sandals and an all-inclusive resort. They we’re so totally enchanted with the whole experience that they are joining us again next April at Sandals Emerald Bay.
On the other hand we were somewhat disappointed with our two week stay. With our prior Sandals vacations we have always booked concierge accommodations and had decided to reserve a butler level at the Royal Caribbean this year. This choice was not of any heightened contribution than our prior concierge service and would go as far to say there was less annoyance with the concierges.
Contrasting to other Sandals resort your transportation from and return airport journeys are by bus not car even with butler accommodations and we weren’t greeted by our butler upon arrival rather just escorted to the concierge lounge were we waited twenty minutes for our butler to arrive. As we were staying for two week we all made-up a list of several restaurants we wish to make dinning reservation for between 6 and 7 PM each evening. As our stay was for 14 nights we believed there should be no issues with our request. This list was given to our butler the day after we arrived but did not receive a schedule or information until the fourth day after our requests each afternoon. During these requests they would inform us of our reservation for only that particular evening. But even after receiving our schedule it was still missing two evening reservation which we than received verbally a day prior to our dinning. Having stayed fourteen days we were only escorted to dinner four times and some were made for 8PM. One night that we were escorted we had a table reserved for us that was within three feet of two serving tables. We had servers constantly clanging dishes and brushing our chairs as they passed until I ask the maître d for another table.
Our room also had issues with housekeeping, maintenance, and amenities. There were no slippers as indicted for butler amenities and we constantly ran out of body wash even after several requests. The air conditioner leaked condensation contently from three locations which made the floor in our room slippery and a hazard. Even after contacting our butler’s manager as our butler were unable to resolve this issue and three days attempting repair of the leak while placing towels on the floor we had to be relocated to a similar room.
The resort itself was well maintained except for the main pool which had a considerate amount of mold all around the pool wall. Other than the Come Back Soon desks unfriendly attitude when questioned about different rate for the following year the reminder of the staff were very accommodating including the concierge personal.
One other issue is the constant airplane blasts over the center of the resort at very low altitudes which forces you to stop a conversation till it passes and lucky not a night.
In conclusion, my wife and I will continue to frequent Sandals resorts yearly as this one rather disappointing experience will not detour us as our prior Sandals vacation have been pleasing. But I fear it well be our last Butler accommodations as the additional cost is not justified.

Room Tip: Jets blasting constantly over the center of the resort at low altitudes is very annoying.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank 427DanC
Hello Dan,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of Sandals Royal Caribbean. We are so disappointed to learn that you did not fully enjoy your most recent stay with us. We always strive to exceed the expectations of our guests, especially our return guests as they are already familiar with our high standard. Please accept my apologies for this not being the case during your last stay. I will of course share your remarks with the resort management team for immediate review and action as needed. We look forward to hosting your next Caribbean vacation and to having the chance to regain our high standing with you.
Woodbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2014

This was our "wedding moon" so let me start off by saying due to getting married here it should have all gone to plan.
The resort itself is small but beautiful, concierge are outstanding, the food and drinks are divine, yes you hear aircraft noise but you get used to it, as a "holiday" all would have been wonderful but this was no holiday.
We had the most aloof, unapproachable, unfriendly wedding planner i have ever had the mis-fortune to meet. I arrived on 6th June and did not meet her until 9th June and even then she wanted to change my appointment to the day before my wedding!! and boy did she give me a nasty look when i said no way!
We did not have cake tasting at the meeting, i did not see any flowers, we had to ask to see the coloured sands for the sand ceremony, she got my date of birth wrong and all she wanted to do was paperwork. I left the meeting feeling hurt, disappointed and it was not at all what we had expected it to be. Also right from day one due to us both being divorced we asked for a civil ceremony and signed up for a civil ceremony!
My now husband wanted to lift my spirits so the next day we went on a reggae cruise but when we arrived back to Montego Bay Sandals it all got too much and i got very very upset. The wedding planner manager came over and we told her everything and she asked if she could come over to our wedding to make sure all went well. I am glad to say she kept to her word and supervised my wedding planner on my big day 6th June.
THE WEDDING DAY:
We spent the morning relaxing under a cabana and at 1pm went to our "honeymoon beachfront walkout concierge room" (which has an amazing view but the bathroom needs updating) to freshen up before my hair appointment at 1:45 and we have no water! There is building work ongoing (which is not stated on the sandals website or in the virgin brochure) and the contractors had cut through the main water pipe!
I immediately call concierge and they gave us another room to freshen up right across the other side of the resort.......remember this is on my wedding day and i did not complain just dealt with the serious inconvenience of it all.
I arrive at the hairdressers stressed due to no water and get my hair put up with the flowers i ordered and guess what? the wedding planner has not delivered
them! After 45 minutes she brings them in and completely ignores me sitting in the chair, and by this time I'm running late due to the water situation.
I go back to our original room as my dress is there and it is opposite the wedding gazebo were i am getting married. I go to the bathroom and guess what? still no water!! I would like to clarify again i did not complain.
I get ready needing to use the bathroom and freshen up but cannot so get into my dress and try and enjoy my wedding, but as i walk out of my room in my dress all i hear is building work.
My unprofessional wedding planner did not have the courtesy to go over and ask the builders to stop, but the manager from Montego Bay did, we asked for a specific minister for our civil service so imagine my surprise when i see 2 MINISTERS??? what happened was the wedding planner had not honoured our request so 2 turned up!! By this this time as you can well imagine due to the already long list of errors/no water etc Im expecting it all to go wrong and boy did it go wrong!
After months of saying we request a a short simple civil ceremony due to our religious beliefs....guess what then happened???? We then get a religious ceremony which is a breach of our human right to have a civil ceremony as requested and completely and utterly unacceptable and breach of contract. When i asked my wedding planner why this has happened as she was very aware of our request, she tried to blame the minister!!
It went downhill from there as the location of the ceremony was wrong due to high winds, the music kept cutting in and out and to be truthful i think i was in shock at what just happened.
After all this circus we go back to our room for a freshen up as due to the photos 3 hours have passed and we still have no water!!!(our photographer Will was brilliant)
By now i had just about had enough so i walk to the concierge office in my dress and ask them for another room on our wedding night as we have no water. I told them i had not complained of the awful inconveniences we had with our room and they put us up in the Penthouse for the night free of charge.
The day after the wedding as i promised myself no complaining on my big day despite a catalogue of errors i then complain about the appalling mistakes of our wedding day. The response i got was we will give you your candle light dinner for free!!! Brides to be you have been warned as i would never ever want anyone to go through what i have just gone through.
Sandals your response to my very justified complaints about my wedding day and planner is a disgrace and shame on you!
We have arrived home with unresolved issues, distress and heartache. What should have been the happiest day of our lives is just a blur of numerous errors.......absolutely devastated :(

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
17 Thank justhitched2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We had a wonderful vacation to Sandals Royal Caribbean, and we are ready to go back! Thank you Hayley and Nikki at Beach Bum Vacations for helping us book our trip! We loved the short trip from the airport to the resort. Everything at the resort was laid back and relaxing, and it never felt crowded. We loved the pool and bar at the private island. They weren't able to upgrade our room, which we were a little disappointed about the first night. They did, however, upgrade us on the last night to an awesome room.

Room Tip: Choose an ocean view room.
21 Thank amber1830