“Wonderful Experience and Great Wedding Staff!”

Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island
Ranked #7 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
“Wonderful Experience and Great Wedding Staff!”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We got married at SRC June 28th 2014 and it was PERFECT! we had a group of 26 people and the wedding staff was on point! Renee, our wedding planner along with Patricia were on top of their game and took care of every detail. I had a few pre-phone meetings with an adviser to get the "big" decisions out of the way, upon arrival, Patrica greeted us promptly before we even checked in to brief us and then a short 1-2 hour meeting the following morning. The rehearsal dinner was more than we could have asked for. It was included in the price because of the group size and they went over and above to make it special. Nigel was our server that night and also came to the wedding to make sure everything went off without a hitch! HE WAS FANTASTIC and so entertaining, dancing with guest later in the night, we all really enjoyed his company! The DJ's were also great, I sent a list of suggested songs ahead of time and they really kept all the guest entertained and moving. We had a mento band for the first hour when we served a signature cocktail and they were also just fabulous. Realy set the tone and make you feel like you were in JAMAICA MAN! There was some constriction going on at the time (so there was a big green wall in the back drop of the reception but it wasn't terrible, i could have picked a different location for the reception but i really liked the garden) but all in all, the garden we chose for the reception was so pretty and right next to the beach where we said our vows (NOTE: the beaches at this resort are MUCH smaller than you probably picture, like a 13 ft strip and about 10 ft deep, which was ok and fit our crowd perfectly but if you in vision a long beautiful beach for your wedding, check out negril or another sandals for bigger beaches.) The main beach has a great pizza place and food shack for lunch and its so effortless.

We visited the Sandals resorts at Negril and Montgo Bay on this trip and had a lot of fun. Negril is a much more "formal" resort it seems (we only spent a few hours) but the food options seemed better and the facility was a lot larger. it also seemed they had more water sport options. Same goes for Montego Bay...lots to do, bigger facility and better food choices. Both MB and SRC are very close to the airport which is good so you don't have to take a 2 hr taxi ride after traveling all day but forewarning, there is A LOT of air traffic. We actually stopped our vows to let a plane pass) Our "play makers" at SRC were the best. Kirmet and Hollywood are so much fun and Anna Kay was great. Get to know them, they will make your trip so much fun. I got the feeling SRC was a much younger resort, less formal and so laid back while the others didn't seem to have a lot going on ie. pool volley ball, beach party, beach relay races which was good because we had a lot of our friends and our crowd is pretty rowdy! The Thai and french restaurants were definitely 5 star! and the breakfast buffet was great!
We got a taxi to take us to negril to go to ricks and jump off the cliffs and go to the public beach to experience real Jamaica and it seems like Negril is more of a "town" than Montego Bay. Lots to do outside of the resort but it all cost additional $$$

All in all I would say any faults the resort may have had were completely made up by the AMAZING wedding staff.

Room Tip: The beach front rooms literally mean beach front. There are 3-5 small little beaches that no one is...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Allison S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,433)
  • Greek first
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and I decided to have our destination wedding in Jamaica and we chose SRC for our venue on June 7th.

When we arrived we were given a warm welcome that was accompanied with cool towels and rum punches! Our room was upgraded to an ocean front and the view was amazing every morning! We told the resort that it was one of our guest's anniversary and they also upgraded their room as a surprise for them.

The resort offers much for you to do such as snorkeling, sailing, and kayaking. We were never bored there was always something to do. There's always something to eat as well. The food was Ok. We enjoyed the steak night and Le Jardiner (the French resturuant) the most but our favorite hang out spot was at The Mariner. My family and I absolutely fell in love with Courtney, Olivia, and Nicola! We loved them so much that we invited them to our wedding ceremony and they came to wish us luck on our big day! They made the best drinks on the resort hands down!

The beach is not as big as the Sandals Montego Bay Resort but it is still nice. The pools are great. The main pool always has music playing and a nice crowd of people lounging. If you're looking for a more quiet area there is a pool tucked away on the far end of the resort that is perfect for it.

Our wedding planner, Renee, was wonderful! She met with us and made sure that our vision for the wedding was carried out exactly as we wanted it to be. She took all of the decorations that I brought with me and had them placed exactly how I wanted them to be. Kemar, our photographer, did an AMAZING job capturing the day! We loved every picture! It was so hard to choose which one we wanted to purchase. My hair and and my bridesmaids makeup were done on the resort and the stylist did a wonderful job! It was EXACTLY how I wanted it to be! Nigel, our wedding captain, also made sure out food, cake, and decorations were perfect! He left another wedding early just to come and make sure that our wedding was done right. When my husband asked for another tier of red velvet cake Nigel had forgotten, when he
realized that he had forgot the next day (his day off) he left his home, returned to the resort, made the cake, and hand delivered it to our room! NOW THAT'S CUSTOMER SERVICE! I would suggest to anyone that has a wedding here to invest in the dj and steel drum band. They were the highlight of our reception and we partied from 6-11 with them and had an absolute BLAST!

Not only did we love our wedding day and the resort but we loved the people too!!!! Our guest had ZERO complaints and in fact several of them booked another trip back before they even left! Thank you Sandals for making our wedding day and honeymoon memorable!

Stayed June 2014
3 Thank Tyson S
Reviewed 8 July 2014

My husband and I spent a week at this resort and it was worth every penny!!! I will come back and add additional details later but being that we have just recently returned I wanted to jot down a few great things.

AIRPORT TRANSFER TO HOTEL:
Like other reviewers posted if you have the skycap carry your luggage they expect a tip-if you want to lug your bags out to the bus that's cool too. Either way we didn't have $$$ on us so when we left for our return flight home I saw our skycap from when we arrived and threw him a few $$$-dudes just trying to make a living(we travel a lot and while it may seem in bad taste to some for them to ask for tips I'm not bothered by it-it's their way and hey I'm in their country)

The sandals reception area in airport is beautifully decorated and they had snacks as well as alcoholic and non-alcoholic drink options.

HOTEL CHECK-IN:
Super easy. They off load your bus and bring you right into reception and give you drinks while you wait a bit. You fill out your return flight info paperwork then they take you off to your room and point out things on the property as they go.

ROOMS:
My husband and I are easy-all we want is clean, air conditioning, and a great view. We stayed in room 6208 in the Sandringham building. FREAKING AMAZING VIEW!!! We had two huge windows that we could lay in our bed and see the water.

We didn't have a butler suite but it's not something we go for so I can't comment on that aspect of the resort.

Our Maid KARLA was FANTASTIC, SWEET, and AN ALL AROUND WONDERFUL PERSON!! I love traveling and I love talking with people and she was so kind--always asking us how we were doing and going out of her way to say hello. These wonderful women hand pick flowers every single morning and arrange them on your bed with beautiful towel designs. They take such pride in their work and it was such a lovely thing to see everyday:)!! Then again in the evening they always did a bed turn down service and left the next days sandals bulletin with you.

Room was stocked with water, sodas, and juices in our fridge(no alcohol but maybe that's in some of the other rooms with more options). The room had basic amenities like coffee maker, hair dryer, full size toiletries etc. We didn't need anything extra or think the room needed anything.

RESTAURANTS:
No complaints here-FOOD WAS GREAT and they can grill anything and it tastes DELICIOUS!!
Mostly ate at mariners and pizza joint on the beach as well as regency and cricketers pub. KEVIN at cricketers is hilarious and made our trips there so much fun. You will find something you like to eat and if not then you are probably really picky(we aren't). Men make sure to bring one pair of pants and some man sandals or shoes so you can eat at the more formal dinners( my husband didn't so we didn't eat at the French place but there were so many other options I didn't mind). The REGENCY was our fave because they had dinner theme nights ( steak/Italian etc)--ALL of the women working here were SUPERB!!!

BARTENDERS:
They make a bazillion kinds of fruity and delish concoctions-ALBERT keeps things running orderly out there on the beach and is a very nice gentlemen and SHARIFA & NIKOLA were always smiling and super sweet. LOVED them all except our only complaint was little Victoria needs to get happy-she was the only one we saw who just never seemed to smile.

ENTERTAINMENT:
CHICO, HOLLYWOOD, and the AMAZING HILARIOUS KERMIT... These 3 guys keep you entertained throughout the week both during the day and in the evening. We stayed and watched a few evening shows and the entertainment ranged from dancing, musical talents, and some amazing acrobatics---again something for everyone!! I swear one day KERMIT is going to be running an entertainment business in HOLLYWOOD---LOVED HIM:):)!!

GIFT SHOP:
Just ask for SIDONNEY-kind and helpful and did a great job packing our items--everything glass made it home in one piece. Nice selection of items:)

POOLS AND WATER:
Enough to go around and tons of water sports all included too. We did visit the sandals Montego Bay down the street and it had more oceanfront but lacked all the amazing comfort the royal Caribbean had.

PRETTY MUCH IF YOU WANT TO PARTY GO TO MONTEGO BAY RESORT IF YOU WANT SERENE CALM AND CLOSENESS WITH YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER GO TO ROYAL CARRIBEAN. Both resorts have plenty to offer just an overall different vibe-that's all really.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank BAP1976
Lehi, Utah
Reviewed 7 July 2014

OK it is really just one trip but I have to break it into two parts. The first part is about Sandals Corporate. They suck at communication and when they fail to communicate or screw something up on their end, you are screwed, end of story. They will not budge, accommodate or do anything at all to try and make it right. Read the fine print and just expect they will not answer your questions and if they do, the answers may not be accurate. This is ultra-inclusive but they will try and up-sell you at every turn.

Now, part two which is what happens when you arrive. We booked a butler level suite and our butlers were Ian and Orlando and I can simply not say enough good things about them. They took care of so much for us and we were totally spoiled rotten. The entirety of he staff on site were amazing and did a fantastic job. The "playmakers" like Chicko, Hollywood, Anna (Bubbles), Storm and Queenie keep the party going. Kermit, another playmaker has an infectious energy level that you simply cannot help but love. These people get right into the middle of the action (pool volleyball with their work clothes on!) and will all but make you have fun. Other staff like Cleveland and Big Bird keep the fun times going and you forget at times that you not vacationing with some of your best friends!

The resort itself is stunning, smaller than many but also more intimate, which mean you may find yourself making friends with other guests, just adding to the whole experience. Do not mistake smaller for not exquisite though. Our room was fantastic, spacious and comfortable and the architecture and landscape was perfect, including the private island. Food was great and the drinks were plentiful (order a dirty banana...and get Cleveland to pour some rainbow shots in the Cricketers Pub)

We are divers as we'll and the dive crew, Bryan, RJ, Diesel et al were also top notch. Professional and thorough. I would recommend taking a refresher course or getting a quick local dive in if it has been a while since you have made a dive as they are sticklers on it and they will require you to take a course on site before you dive ($80 per diver and not part of the all inclusive). They state it is a PADI requirement, which it is not, but they will not budge at all on it - IMO this is a Sandals Corporate way to fleece an extra bit of $$ out of us (we are both Open Water Advanced certified FYI). Also, download a medical questionnaire and if you will answer "yes" on any of them get a release from your physician as they will not let you dive without it. The corporate side almost made me say screw it to the diving at all while I was there but Dwight helped get things sorted out and after that things were smooth.

I really cannot praise the people on property enough and Sandals Corporate could learn a whole lot about customer service from this crew. Even with the horrid service from corporate, we cannot wait to come back to SRC, and that is quite the testament to the people there. Book it, do your homework and you will certainly not regret it, and tell Kermit I sent you!

Room Tip: Third floor rooms do not get very cool. Corner rooms are a bit smaller in certain buildings. It is...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ClaytonBarlow
Brookhaven, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 7 July 2014

This was our first time at a Sandals resort. It was absolutely amazing. We renewed our wedding vows under a gazebo overlooking the ocean. NIgel the wedding captain was wonderful. Everyone on staff here goes out of their way to please you. We stayed in the crystal lagoon honeymoon one bedroom butler suite - can't tell you how much we enjoyed this room. Our butlers, Hughill and SheriAnn were the best. The resort was booked to capacity and never felt crowded. The food was very good. We already booked the same room again for April 2016. Tremaine our pool guy was awesome, always a smile on his face and he took us sailing on the hobie cats. Couldn't have asked for a nicer more relaxing vacation and cannot wait to return.

Room Tip: We had a corner room in the Clarence building, a swim up suite. Room was very private, location was...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank allymcbingo1013
Fairfield, California
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We came to celebrate my cousins 60th birthday. From the time we reached the airport until we left the customer service was EXCELLENT. The room was clean, the maid was phenomenal and loved the turn down service as we looked forward to the towel art. The resort was so much fun and so many activities that I didn't feel the need to leave (so suffice to say, I didn't see much of Montego Bay). We especially loved the activities persons (Chico and Queenie) along with the bartender Jagon. They all treated you like "friends". Can't wait to come back.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
KY
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Where do I even begin.... Sandals Royal Caribbean was absolutely amazing! First of all, I want to say that we are returning Sandals guests. We are Sandals Select Members. We have previously stayed at Sandals Whitehouse and have visited Sandals Montego Bay. I will sort of compare the three and tell you my honest opinion.

Airport:
Jamaica's airport is super nice. My husband loves visiting the Harley Davidson store and of course we also have to always eat at Margaritaville here. There are two Margaritaville locations in the airport that I know of. Also, I just want to go ahead and get this out of the way, Jamaican people are so nice. I'm sure there are bad ones out there somewhere but we have never came across an unfriendly Jamaican. Customs is a breeze here.

Trip to resort:
As soon as we landed and got through customs/immigration, we headed for the Sandals lounge in the airport where we met a Sandals representative and were taken to our shuttle. The shuttle driver will let you know he is not with Sandals thus expecting a tip. You will be on the shuttle with other guests heading to RC (Royal Caribbean), Montego Bay, and Carlyle.) It is a short 10 minute trip to Montego Bay. We traveled with my husbands cousin and her husband. The face that my husbands cousin was made when we pulled up to Montego Bay was priceless. She was thinking "Did I really pay $4,000 for this?" I'm not saying Montego Bay isn't nice. I'm just saying it's not as nice or as classy as Whitehouse or RC. When entering RC, it is a long beautiful driveway which pulls you up to an exquisite building. This is where you will check in and be shown to your room. We had to wait a while for our rooms. We requested that we our rooms be next to my husbands cousin and so it took a while. We arrived at 11 and check in isn't until in the afternoon. We just hung out and had lunch while waiting. We did end up getting to check in earlier that check in time.

Beach:
The beach at RC is the best I have EVER seen or been too. They rake the sand so many times a day. I have never seen a resort take such amazing care of the grounds than RC. The ocean is crystal clear. We often took our beach lounge chairs down to the water to stay cool. I knew it was going to be hot in July but it wasn't as bad as I expected. The breeze was amazing and the water felt perfect. The umbrellas are also perfect if you get too hot or sun burnt. There was always chairs and umbrellas available. We never had a problem with this. I have to say Sandals RC beats Whitehouse on the beach part. I can't really review the pool because honestly we didn't get in it. We did get in the pool at the private island which I will review next.

Private Island:
The private island was so much better than I anticipated. First of all, it's just fun to ride a boat across the ocean to get to it. It's a great sight seeing experience as well as getting to cool down from the breeze and mist. We spent a lot of time at the private island by the pool. They have a swim up bar here. For some reason, it was never crowded. They have floats to float around the pool here. There is a parrot that talks and sings and liked to be petted on the island. They have super clean restrooms also which is always a plus to me because I'm a clean freak. There are two restaurants on the private island. The rest are at the resort.

Room:
We booked a luxury level room. It was the Beachfront Grande Luxe room. It was even better than the picture. Not sure if they upgraded us or what, but it was nicer and larger than the online picture. It was in the Balmoral building. We had our own private, large balcony that had stairs directly to the ocean. There was also a front entrance too. The bathroom was clean and nice. The amenities they leave in your room are great. I love their body wash, shampoo, and conditioner.

Restaurants:
First of all, I want to say that it was great food but Whitehouse beats RC in the food category. We liked the restaurants at Whitehouse much better. We also went over to Montego Bay to eat three nights. The first day, we ate at the Regency for lunch. They have a large buffet with a variety of different foods. I ate nachos with salsa, beef, and lettuce. For dinner we also ate at the Regency and it was just okay. Every day after that for lunch, we ate at the pizza place or grill by the ocean. It was super yummy. I had jerk chicken pizza, pepperoni pizza, chicken quesadillas, chicken sandwiches, onion rings and French fries to name a few. SHOUTOUT TO ALBERT!!!!!! WE LOVE YOU AND THANK YOU FOR EVERYTHING YOU DID FOR US!!!!!!!!! We ate at the Thai restaurant and the French restaurant at RC also. We did not like the Thai restaurant. We are not used to that kind of cooking being from the mountains of Kentucky. At the French restaurant, we all four had steak which we all concluded to be very good but taste like beef stew (once again, this is probably just a Kentucky thing.) We ventured to Montego Bay which remember we got a horrible impression of before. Well, we were right. It was a completely different scene over there. It wasn't as nice or classy. The people (guests) weren't as nice or classy. We saw several different people so drunk they could barely walk. When you walked into the main part, it smelled of pure alcohol and rotten fruit. The Italian restaurant did not live up to the Italian restaurant at Whitehouse at all. My husband and I were very disappointing thinking they'd be similar. We did eat at Tokyo Joe's TWICE. It was amazing! Best food we had all week! It is a must do!!!

Nightly Entertainment:
Let me go back to Montego Bay first. If you like a sloppy drunk fest then Montego Bay is perfect for you! The people were vulgar. They had a couple dance off and I saw things I never want to see ever again. I know it's not the resorts fault but I just can't get that image out of my head. At Whitehouse, we didn't participate in any nightly entertainment. I'm not sure why. At RC, we did quite a few nights.t We LOVED the dancers that came for international night. It was a beautiful show. ALSO SHOUTOUT TO HOLLYWOOD AND KERMIT! Thank you for making our nights so enjoyable!!! They entertained us so well. It was just a fun, happy environment!

Activities:
At RC, we snorkeled which was so much fun! We saw so many amazing things that we had never seen before. They give you detailed instructions and are there to help in any way. We also did the glass bottom boat tour. It was beautiful. Like I said, the water is crystal clear so it's perfect!

Grounds:
I know I mentioned this before but the grounds are so beautiful. They do an amazing job. As soon as you walk in, you just feel like you are in paradise.

Pictures:
In case you didn't know, there are Sandals photographers there all week to take pictures of you anywhere you want. We had pictures done in the ocean during the day when we were relaxing on the beach and pictures at night when we were all dressed up. We also did this at Whitehouse and purchased quite a few. This time, we only purchased 15 pictures. The prices are very high but very worth it in my opinion. They are professional quality and the photographers pose you in the cutest ways. SHOUTOUT TO KEMAR FOR EVERYTHING! WE LOVE YOU!

Concierge/Butlers:
At Whitehouse we did a club level room which came with concierge service. I was nervous about not having it this trip. When we got there, we realized we didn't need them at all. We booked our restaurant reservations and activities ourselves hassle free. You can do this at the reservation desk and watersports desk. They are super nice and willing to work with you. The lady at the reservation desk went out of her way to get us a table for four at Montego Bay. We appreciate the little things like that so much! I don't think I would ever get a butler unless I was going to a huge resort such as Grande Riviera. We are go getters and like experiencing and doing things on our own. We wouldn't have any need for this and the price to get one is very high. Pointless if you ask us.

Departure:
Sandals lets you know when check out is and when to have your luggage ready for your departure day. The baggage people will come pick your luggage up from your room and then you will go to the front desk to check out. It helps to go ahead and put a credit card on file the first day you get there so you don't have to carry cash.

Overall, we had an amazing time and can't wait to go back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We visited the SOON COME BACK desk and have already booked our trip to Sandals Emerald Bay for next year. We love Jamaica and I hate not going back again but we want to experience something new. I really wanted to go to Negril and it was a tough decision picking Emerald Bay. They had an amazing deal we couldn't pass up. You will save more money booking with the Soon Come Back desk plus receive a free items such as tee shirts. I know one thing for certain: we will NEVER stay at Montego Bay.

It's a hard decision to say if Whitehouse or RC was better. I'm going to have to say they were pretty much equal. We love them both!!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple