“Great Times With Great Friends”

Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island
Ranked #7 of 62 Hotels in Montego Bay
Canora
“Great Times With Great Friends”
Reviewed 19 December 2008

All i have to say is that we will be going back next year for sure. This resort treated us with the utmost respect and i would recommend it to anyone.

• Liked — The Relaxing
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with friends
3 Thank zeke800

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,385)
  • Greek first
Mississauga
Reviewed 19 December 2008

We had two major complaints about this resort. First that its private island, its beach and garden areas were very small and did not compare with other Sandals resorts such as Jamaica Whitehouse. Second that the standard of food cooking and presentation was very poor and the breakfast buffet was probably the worst we have encountered in over twenty years in resorts in the Caribbean, Central America and Mexico!

On the plus side, the rooms were good, the resort was kept clean and the staff were generally friendly and smiling.

Overall, not good value for money.

2 Thank 38Sunseeker
Laurel Springs, NJ
Reviewed 15 December 2008

My wife and I had such a wonderful vacation at Sandals Royal Caribbean in Jamaica this past Nov/Dec. 2008. We were upgraded to the brand New River Suites that are ‘Absolutely Gorgeous’ with enough space for a party! This was the Grand Opening for the newest building—a grande luxurious 3 story structure complete with elevator and penthouses on the 3rd level. Stunning architecture and glorious landscaping filled with palm trees, brightly colored flowers and an abundance of Hummingbirds delight the senses. Two “bridges” access the pathway to your ultra relaxing oasis. The incredible bathroom is the first thing you see as you enter—it’s huge with a separate walk-in shower stall with shower seat and two showerheads (standard and rain shower heads). There was a separate Jacuzzi tub and double vanity all surrounded by marble floors and walls, and a pocket door for privacy. There is butler service available with these suites.

The living and bedroom areas had all massive custom made, dark stained mahogany furniture and a four poster bed with sumptuous bedding, a chaise lounge, and marble flooring. Ceiling fans and a hi-efficiency central air unit kept the room cool and confortable. Privacy shutters slide out to cover the massive sliding glass doors.

Catch up on the news with two flat screen TVs, one TV facing the bed and one TV facing the over-stuffed cushioned sofa and chaise lounge in the living room area where it was so easy for me to fade fast away into a refreshing and re-energizing nap. There was a marble topped bar/counter with a fully stocked refrigerator wine, champagne, terrific Red Stripe beer, assorted sodas, bottled water, etc. A beautiful tropical floral arrangement welcomed us home and perfumed the room.

A coffee pot, coffee, tea and all the necessary sweeteners and creamers really hit the spot for a quick energy boost before we went to the well-stocked buffet breakfast. Wonderful surprise snacks awaited us in the room at the end of each day.

The meals were fabulous at all the restaurants and the Beach Grill from the buffet lunches to the English Pub. But of course if that is not enough the Beach Grill is always re-opened at 11pm to 3am for those late night snacks or in case you had a hard day at the Pool Bar and slept right through dinner. One of our daily rituals is “Tea Time” at the tea room—assorted teas, finger sandwiches, fruits and pastry confections are served daily at 4pm! The private off shore island features an authentic Thai restaurant –private cabanas,
And a daily lunch buffet too!

There was a huge sliding door to our own private patio with table and chairs and two large chaise lounges that can be placed right in the private swim up entrance to the refreshing man made river/pool. How great is that? The “River” pool is perfect for swimming laps—you have to work off the buffet! Of course, we were just seconds away from the main pool—lots going on there! Aqua-cize, pool volleyball, pool Olympics are all available to participate in or to observe and root for your favorites! The gym has been overhauled and is fully enclosed and air conditioned. Bring your sneakers-do the power walk, the treadmill, the universal gym equipment, etc. When you’re done head to the Red Lane Spa—the aroma-therapy massages are just wonderful! My wife says it’s “The fastest hour I’ve ever spent!” Treat yourself to a manicure and pedicure! (and watch all the beautiful brides getting their hair and make-up done in anticipation of their BIG day!) So many couples start their lives together with a beautiful wedding ceremony—“I love to watch them celebrate their love by reciting their pledge to each other!” Says my wife Denise.

But what really makes this resort “THE ABSLOUTE BEST” is the staff. Everyone greets you with a smile and a Good Morning or friendly hello. The staff saw to our every need and kept our room and the entire resort property ABSOLUTLEY SPOTLESS!!! The General Manager walks the property daily!

There is so much more that I know I am leaving out something important. Oh well I guess you will just have to take a trip there to find out for yourself and experience this fabulous All-Inclusive (and I do mean All-Inclusive-No Tips permitted) resort at Sandals Royal Caribbean in Montego Bay, Jamaica. We love it-so we keep coming back! There is always new happening at the resort. Come on down! Maybe we’ll see you there!. Just tell them “The Mayor” sent you!

‘Nuff Respect’ to all of our Sandals Royal Caribbean Family! With a very special thanks to those listed below and we apologize to those we may have not mentioned:

Iain Mc Cormack-General Manager
Jason Halloway-Sales Manager
Stephen-Head Chef
Ian-Food and Beverage Manager
Also in Food and Beverage:
Diana, Conrad, ‘Neon’ Deon, Natalia, Sonya, Albert, Ernest, Tracy, Verna, Sigurd, Melisssa, Rayan, Georgia, Trevor, Kevin, Darnett, Aniecia, Garfield, Luke, Bolt.
Marlon-Fitness Instructor
Antonio-Entertainment Manager
Also in the Entertainment dept.—Mario, Marlon, Dane, Juliene.

Lloyd -Housekeeping Manager
Also in Housekeeping just to mention a few:
Lily
Betty
Monica
Ann-Marie
Merilyn

Alrick Bowen-Bell Captain and Joseph the Bellman
Susie in the gift shop.
Kaveen at the Soon come back desk
Pernell Wint at Unique Vacations.

Michel “Miguel’ the grounds keeper

Thanks to all of you for a great vacation

'The Mayor' Al and Denise Christinzio
New Jersey

• Liked — Too many to many-see our trip advisor review
10 Thank mayorsrc
Minneapolis
Reviewed 12 December 2008

This is the third Sandals resort that we have stayed at and it met all of our expectations. The room, the food and the service was absolutely wonderful. The entertainment staff was a hoot - we enjoyed playing games and we won 5 bottles of Rum!

We also took advantage of going to the Sandals Montego Bay where we did some water skiing, tubing and played more games. The food at this resort was just as wonderful. The bar staff at The Cricketers was super friendly!

The weather was warm, sunny and beautiful; coming from Minnesota it was greatly appreciated!

We were able to relax and enjoy ourselves and one another - something that is hard to do at home with the everyday life going on around us.

We booked our next trip to the Sandals resort in the Bahama's for next year, another trip we are looking forward to.

7 Thank MBA1
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed 11 December 2008

This was me and now my fiance firsts getaway together. He has never been anywhere and this was my 4th time back to Jamaica. I was very worried, I was reading mixed reviews on this advisory and so thought we were not going to be impressed. From the time we arrived the Bellhop took excellent care of us, we got in our room quick and we were ready to start our vacation. We also got an upgrade on our room to the garden area which was really nice, bc I wasn't sure about staying in the rooms above the main entrance. (Always ask for an upgrade upon arrival or have your travel agent make a note in your reservation, it doesn't hurt to ask)
We went to basically relax and do nothing but be pool/beach bums, and thats what we did. If you want to get involved with the activities during the day and night its your choice. The food was good, I def recommend hitting all the resturants. We were not favors of the Pavillion, but all the other places were good.

Don't get me wrong were there things that were annoying at times, "YES", the whole tipping thing is very confusing, who should you tip??? We kept it to the people who took care of us, the bellhop when we arrived and we had a waiter that waited on us 3 nights in a row so we tipped him. Other than that if you tipped everyone you met you would be broke. Take care of the people that take care of you, thats what I always say. Also the local peddlars on their wave boards calling you over to look at their stuff and buy, don't get me wrong the stuff is nice and you get good deals but after you buy something you just don't want to be bothered.... My final thing is the beach, not that big... A little tight when everyone was at the beach.

Overall not disappointed at all, would def recommend this place. Service, food, rooms, drinks were all good in my book. Also how could it be a disappointed, I got engaged on our trip, he did it at the Thai Resturant.

Little hint: not many people head over to the island during the day, if you want a pool to yourself I def recommend going over there more than once.

• Liked — The Food
  • Disliked — The Beach
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
5 Thank EngagedGirl
atlanta, ga
Reviewed 10 December 2008

I traveled to the Sandals Royal Caribbean for my wedding two weeks ago, and I am very pleased with this resort. I had never traveled there prior to booking my wedding with them, and was a little nervous based on the reviews posted by other travelers on this website before actually going there myself. Fortunately, I did not perceive this resort in the same manner.

We booked a beachfront walkout room, which was a honeymoon/concierge level room. This wasn't all that impressive when we actually saw it. -except for the amazing view and patio that was right on the beach. We simply let the concierge know that we were not satisfied with the room, and they moved us to one that we were more than happy with. The beachfront rooms are a bit older, and it seems that many of the people on this site that complained of outdated rooms and some amounts of mold may have been in these rooms as well. The other guests that came along for my wedding were in great rooms, too. None of us had any of these problems, however ,some of our guests had water temperature issues at times (sometimes too cold or too hot).

We all thought the food was great- in both presentation and flavor. Yes, you need to make sure that you have reservations for a few of the restaurants, but we had no problem booking them a day in advance. The Thai restaurant on the private island was our favorite in terms of food and atmosphere. Room service was kind of on their own time, unless we ordered for really early in the morning. My suggestion regarding room service-order it about an hour or so before you actually want it, and it will arrive on time.

As I mentioned above, I did go there to get married. I LOVED my ceremony on the beach! I ordered a lot of extras, such as the floral arch, photos, solo guitarist for the ceremony, DJ for the reception, chairs, flowers, sand ceremony, etc. and they were worth every penny. The beach is not very large, and I was afraid that I would be right in the middle of everything, but that was not the case. They hold the ceremonies on the beach on one of the more secluded, quiet beaches on the resort. Afterward, we had a two hour plated reception in a banquet room located by the Regency, and we had our own personal servers and bartenders for our wedding party. We also booked the private candlelight dinner on the beach at night, which was very romantic, and agin totalyy worth it. The entire wedding day was very nice- better than I had hoped for, and I am very particular about many things.

The staff was wonderful, and they were very attentive to our needs. I think that each person we encounterd knew us all by our names after just a day or two, which made a great impression on us. They went out of their way to make sure that we were satisfied. I spent several days in the spa, which was a truly blissful experience. I highly recommend their services to anyone looking to be pampered.

There was plenty to do at all times, whether we wanted to go off on an excursion or hang out at the pool/beach. The nightly entertainment varied from day to day, but was very enjoyable for everyone. We especially enjoyed the beach party held on Thanksgiving, which included a huge buffet (even turkey!), steel drum bands, fire dancers, etc.

I could go on and on about how much I enjoyed this resort. Yes, we did have some minor issues, as mentioned above, but nothing that I would consider out of the ordinary (compared to any of the other resorts that I visited). I would definitely go back there again, and I hope that others are not scared off by some of those other reviews.

• Liked — wedding, the staff, food
  • Disliked — room service took too long, small beach
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with family
5 Thank mbw77
St. Paul
Reviewed 7 December 2008

All you need is love...and a lot of patience!! It was almost impossible to get edible food here. We made our reservations for the "Reservations Only" Thai and French restaurants within an hour of arriving and had to be squeezed in for the Thai restaurant, which was underwhelming, but at least the service was good in this restaurant. The pork tenderloin in the French restaurant was inedible. Our room was dated, but had a nice view of the ocean. The only time I had any fun was on tours away from Sandals. It seemed like everyone there just wanted to get really really drunk and smoke a lot. The Regency restaurant was completely horrible, from horrible service to horrible food. I would never stay at a Sandals again!

• Liked — Check Out!
5 Thank mnlib