We just returned from Sandals Royal after an 8 day stay. We were picked up at the airport by one of the assistant managers in a brand new sleek Mercedes Benz and taken to the resort. Check in was prompt and we were upgraded to a beachfront room. The resort was beautiful, very well maintained and the people that worked there were eager to please. The alcohol was top shelf and the drinks were oustanding. The weather was perfect. We had a brief 5 minute shower during one day of our stay. Sounds like a perfect vacation....does it not?
The down side to this resort(and it's a big one if you like to eat) is the food. Breakfast was good, omletts, cereals and fruit etc. Lunch was somtimes ok with the exception of the jerk chicken on the island which was very good.
The evening dinners were horrible. The hot food at all of the restaurants were routinely served cold and half of the items listed on the menus were not available. We attended the repeaters dinner. These dinners are supposed to be special and those attending should be served something special. Not at this resort. We were served lamb. Not lobster or filet migon but lamb. Not a rack of lamb as we were told but, slices of lamb again served COLD.
I like lamb but, this was awful and it was served on the menu at some of the restarants. How is serving a dish off the menu that any guest could order a special dinner? My wife and I both suffered from gastric illnes after this dinner.
The evening of the beach party all of the restaurants are closed except for the pub and the french restaurants(reservations only).
We attended the party only to be dissapointed by the same food served for lunch(same cold fish and jerk chicken) with the exception of pork. I had finally reached my breaking point. I left and immediately went to the french restaurant to see if we could get a late reservation. As calmy as humanly possible I explained my dissapointment with the beach party.
They found an opening and we tried to order dinner.
Again, more missing items on the menu and more dissapointment with poorly prepared food. The next day I noticed that the menus for all the restaurants that were posted for all guest to examine were suddenly removed. I talked to many other guest with the same complaints about the foods that were not available. I assume that the resort removed the posted menus over this issue.
In closing let me say I did not expect 5 star food at this resort. There is no such thing as 5 star food at ANY all inclusive resort regardless of what they claim. This was our 3rd visit to a Sandals resort and my 14th visit to Jamaica staying at an all inclusive resort. I consider my self a seasoned veteran and I don't set the bar to high when judging a resort. I know what to expect and what not to expect.
I really wanted to like this property. It was beautiful and very convienent to the airport.
I would not stay at this resort again unless there are big changes with the food.
Avoid this resort until changes are made It is not worth the money that you pay to stay here. There are better choices to be made and with much better food.
Shame on you Sandals Royal Caribbean.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- •7 exquisite dining options, with world-class culinary cuisines.•Only Jamaican resort with a private offshore island, housing an authentic Thai restaurant.•Magnificent, swim-up crystal lagoon suites.•24 hour room service as a part of our concierge service.•English pub offering an authentic pub dining experience.•Voted Sandals “World's Leading All-Inclusive Company” 16 years in a row.•Voted “Caribbean's Leading Hotel Brand” 18 years in a row. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Southall Travel, Prestigia, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, Ebookers, Evoline ltd and getaroom.com so you can book your Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Royal Caribbean Hotel Montego Bay
- Sandals Royal Caribbean Montego Bay
- Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort Jamaica
- Sandal Royal Caribbean