“An Amazing Week”

Ranked #7 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Houston, TX
“An Amazing Week”
Reviewed 23 January 2009

Wow, Sandals Royal Caribbean is an amazing place. The staff is genuinely friendly and want to provide you with the best vacation ever. All the buildings and decor are beautiful and fit in perfectly with the amazing view of the ocean. If you're looking for the most romantic place where you can lounge on the beach while sipping your favorite cocktail than this is the place for you. We loved the food and spent a lot of time trying every restaurant in Royal Caribbean, the fancier the restaurant the better the food! My wife and I had nothing to worry about for a week and spent the entire time laughing and being care free. The only regret that I had was that we didn't stay longer, I definitely think we could handle another week of doing nothing but reading on the beach!

• Liked — The place was amazing in itself but the friendly staff put it over the top
  • Disliked — Not staying longer
3 Thank mrhifibanjostr

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,401)
  • Greek first
Lexington, KY
Reviewed 23 January 2009

I have never been to an all-inclusive, and also have never been to Jamaica, and was excited to have my wedding at this Sandals resort. I had always heard good things about Sandals, and from reviews on this website, I was certain on one thing...I was certain we would get an upgrade from our lowest level room since almost everyone says they were upgraded and also because we were having our wedding there and spending extra money. I was WRONG. Our trip was a nightmare due to Delta airlines. They were delayed at our airport and made us miss our connection and we ended up losing a whole day at the resort. Once we got there late that night, we were exhausted AND Delta had lost our luggage. Sandals gave us free toiletries since we had nothing and were very friendly, but no upgrade. Our room was nice for being the lowest level room, but the kitchen from the French restaurant was right below our room and I couldn't sleep from hearing all the banging of dishes. I politely asked for an upgrade and they politely declined me. I was very disappointed especially after reading other reviews. We did not have butler or concierge service, and it seemed these guests were treated much better than us...but I guess you get what you pay for. Our trip was not cheap though, and I expected much more than what we got.
Food...I am a very picky eater, and could not eat anything at the restaurants. My husband ate all my food. I had to go to the beach grill or pub to eat after these dinners. At least other food was available! I can't critque these restaurants much since I am so picky and did not eat, but I can tell you my husband liked the French restaurant, and some friends of ours ate with us at the Thai restaurant on the island and they were all disappointed with the food, although the atmosphere was wonderful.
The beach was cramped and small, and my husband and I did not like the fact that there are no waves due to the barrier. It did not feel like a beach. The pool was too crowded to sit by, and the other pools were too far away from the bar.
Our wedding however, was wonderful. We have beautiful pictures we paid WAY too much for from their photo shop! Also I had my hair and makeup done at the spa and loved my hair, but was horrified at my makeup. Way too light for my skin and made me look washed out like a ghost! And I did not have time to go fix it myself!! We were very pleased with the wedding experience though.
Our room itself was very nice...no view but I did not see any bugs or crud like other reviews posted...I was very pleased with it and it was the lowest level. Just wish there had been a balcony or patio.
Our friends that came for the wedding stayed at the Montego Bay Sandals and we found we liked this resort much better than ours. It was a little older, but was much bigger, looked like more activities, and felt more like a resort to us. It was nice we had the opportunity to spend time there also.
All in all, the resort was nice, but I doubt I will ever return to a Sandals. I have tried to join their come back again members website which is supposed to give perks to couples for returning, and they will not even send me an invitation!! I have not been to other all-inclusives, but the Riu next door looked just as nice if not nicer and was cheaper than the Royal. I think I will explore other resort chains next time.

• Liked — wedding, resort was beautiful
  • Disliked — Small, no upgrade, water was too cold in pool and ocean!
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
5 Thank KentuckyBuckeye
Lancaster
Reviewed 19 January 2009

After hectic holidays we headed for Jamaica-Sandles Royal Carribean! What a WONDERFUL place! Everything from Air Jamaica,the resort, the staff, the beaches, resturants, festivities, tours-everything was perfect!! The staff at Sandles were fabulous! They treated you like family and ALWAYS had a smile on their faces. The resturants were great. We enjoyed every meal. My husband and I had such a wonderful time, he promised me that we would go there again. The resort was so clean. I would highly recommend this vacation to everyone. Worth every pennie we spent.

• Stayed January 2009
5 Thank Jamaica-monlancaster
Poughkeepsie, NY
Reviewed 18 January 2009

We visited Sandals RP Feb 08, for a rehearsal dinner my daughter's wedding was next day at RP. We were not guest of Sandals (as were many of our group) SRP charge a fee to enter the resort which we were told enabled us to eat and drink at any of the many restaurant.s What they do not explain before you pay the $85.pp is if there are no seats you wait and wait, hotel guests get first dibs The restaurants close fairly early, we walked from place to place waiting on lines or adding our names to the wait list when they finally seated us the food was mediocre, service was negliable, staff snooty. The saving grace: the piano bar and Red Stripe pleniful.

• Stayed February 2008, travelled with family
Philadelphia
Reviewed 17 January 2009

We just returned from our honeymoon at Sandals Royal Caribbean. We booked the trip and then after reading some reviews, I became a bit nervous. We decided to choose Royal Caribbean due to the proximity of the airport and the private island. Without a doubt, we made the right decision. We absolutely loved our stay.

As you probably know, Sandals has a great lounge with some light food and drinks right in the airport. You are able to sit and hang out there for a bit until your shuttle or driver comes. As soon as we got to the hotel, I knew that many of the reviews were definitely embellished. The open air lobby is a great way to get settled in. As soon as we walked in to the lobby, we were told to just take a sit and they walked some paper work over to us. During this process we were immediately brought beverages and greeted by every employee that walked through the lobby.

We were taken to our room which was exactly what we expected. I am very picky with hotels rooms (dirt, germs, etc) and I had no problems with this one. We had a pool view room. It was nice and clean, but not super luxurious. For the price we paid and location, I can't complain. Overall, we did not spend a ton of time in the room. Every day the fridge was fully stocked, we had a great selection of stations, and our room was cleaned well...worked for us.

The private island was a reason we chose the resort intially and a reason we loved the resort overall. We rented a cabana for the day on the private island (set up through concierge the day before) and it was absolutely worth every penny (40 dollars half day, 70 full day). You are given concierge service that includes; a cell phone to call your "butler" whenever you need him, a cooler full of beverages, and the luxury of having food and drinks brought right to you. It was amazing. You can relax on the bed that leads right up the water or lay down on a lounge chair in the water. On the days that we did not do the cabana we still loved the private island. I had read that there was no food there, but there actually is. There is a lunch buffet from 11-2 (I believe), along with the Thai Restaurant for dinner... the lunch buffet had things like pork, jerk chicken, salad, pasta, rice, and veggies. The island also has a swim up bar, pool, and jacuzzi...it was wonderful. It seemed that many people did not take advantage of this!! The shuttle seems to run at least every 1/2 hour, but I think closer to 20 minutes.

I must say, one thing we were slightly disappointed with was that the beach on the main island looks much bigger on the website. It wasn't the end of the world, but I was surprised.

As far as activities, we did not think there were a ton of options. It seemed that they posted things, but not many people joined. The resort is smaller and did not seem to have too many young people there (although we're in our late 20's). We took advantage of the kayaking and glass bottom boat which were both a good time. We did sign-up for a tour (through the resort but not included) of Dunn's River Falls which I would recommend to everyone! We had a great time!! You can arrange this through the tour desk. It is about a 1 hour and 20 minute drive and you stop at Sandals Dunn's River for lunch.

We loved that you were able to go to different Sandals Resorts. As mentioned above, we went to Sandals Dunn's River and also to Sandals Montego Bay. Sandals Dunn's River, from what I briefly saw, is newer, bigger, younger crowd, and a bit nicer than Royal Caribbean. However, it is much further from the airport and much larger. We liked the idea of a smaller resort, but it depends on what you'd like. Sandals Montego Bay was very disappointing. The food was not good, the staff did not seem quite as nice, and the resort seemed somewhat dingy. Also, they are SO close to the airport that every 1/2 hour or so it sounds like a plane is above you (it literally is and they fly very low).

While we ate at Royal Caribbean, we ate well. I should preface this by saying that I don't have very high expectations of food. To me, food is what it is. A 80 dollar meal does not taste any better to me than a 18 dollar meal. Reservations seemed backed up (called on a Mon, next availability Friday), so we ate at The Regency for most of our meals while at Royal Caribbean (we ate at the Pavilion one night too). The options were not vast, but hey, it's all-inclusive. Breakfast was my favorite.

The staff was amazing. They were constantly saying, "No problem 'mon" and they meant it. I cannot say enough about them.

If you'd like a smaller resort (you can always go to other resorts for the day), with a friendly staff, clean room, private island, some activities, close to the airport (but not as loud as Montego Bay).. you'll love this place... we did!

• Liked — Location and private island
  • Disliked — Small beach and lack of activities
8 Thank Honeymooners16
Boston
Reviewed 16 January 2009

We stayed at the royal Caribbean for 8 nights starting on Jan 5. Overall we had a good time, but that's not really thanks to the resort. It was more a result of being somewhere warm, away from work, and sharing time together as a couple. We both felt (as did several other couples we spent time with) that the resort was run down, lacked energy and was overpriced. Let me explain:

Airport: No problems here. The lounge was fine, but offered only 4 oz baby cups of beer and lacked the rum punch other travelers have praised. The guys who take your bags and drive the shuttle to the airport are very blunt about getting their tips. Relax dude, all you did was drive us five minutes, but I got you covered.

Check in:
This is where Sandals really shines in the "up-sell" department. A nice gentleman greeted us off the shuttle, but insisted that we sit and let him check us in. I asked him to request an upgrade for us, but instead he offered us an "upgrade" to the concierge level for an extra $250. I asked him if the hotel was full and he said 90%, so I reluctantly agreed. The fact of the matter is that it was barley half full. At times it was a ghost town, they easily could have given me a free upgrade like everyone else I talked to. The upgrade included a stocked bar in the room (which honestly should be standard in ALL rooms), Concierge service (Unreliable) and a "Beach View" room. They were right, if I hung off the balcony like a monkey I could see a bit of the beach, sweet!

The Room:
The room was fine. It had a nice tub, bed etc.. I will say that the room quality was equivalent to a $99 dollar room in Mexico or Florida. Not great, not awful.

Food:
Mostly atrocious. I am a professional chef, and I was not expecting the world, but overall the food quality was dismal. In fact it made the food I had on a Carnival cruise last year seem like it should have got a Michelin star. The regency dining room featured over cooked, under seasoned, slowly served cuisine. I will say that sitting there at night on the deck was lovely, but that's it. There was only one person getting bar drinks for the entire restaurant. This equated to us only getting one drink each during a very slow four course dinner, no matter how much we begged our server. Not cool SRC, not cool.

The lunch buffet featured more over cooked under seasoned sloppiness for our delight. The sandwich meats included such delicacy's as : a) Gray mealy over-smoked meat tube they were calling baloney b) gray salami c)tuna salad (just tuna+mayo) d) some weird meat they were calling ham. We had lunch one day at the Dunn river falls sandals and found it superior.

Room Service was the worst we have ever experienced. I don't even understand how the burger was that bad, it baffles me.

The Thai restaurant was by far the best on the property, but difficult to get in. I think they did a professional job of serving and executing top notch food.

The French restaurant, also hard to get into, was a disappointment. If you have never tried salty (made from beef bouillon) French onion soup with a tiny cheese crouton, this is the place for you. The fish and meat were all well done, and keeping in theme with the rest of the resort, the dessert was cardboard.

The fish and chips at cricketers was very good, but for the love of god where could I find some fresh vegetables or simply grilled local fish?? Every place was serving farmed salmon and Escolar (which some of you may know contains fat that the human body can not digest, ergo it can cause anal leakage. Perfect for by the pool!) Where was the local flair? I know there are fish in that water, I saw them!

We found ourselves spending many dinners at Montego Bay Sandals. This resort had more people and more energy, as well as faster service. We really enjoyed the Oleander restaurant. Back home Tokyo Joes would be considered a third rate stir fry joint. But here at Sandals it is a much needed oasis of freshly prepared ingredients and vegetables.

Drinks:
The drinks were fine, but why can't they have pool and beach service like other resorts?? Also, you could order the same drink from five different bartenders and get five different drinks. A little consistency would be nice.

Beach:
I read all the reviews before going, I was fine with the idea of a small beach, until reality sunk in. The beach is so tiny, there are no waves because of a barrier and the rope is only ten feet out. Dunns River Sandals had a much better beach.

The landscape:
This was really nice, lots of palm trees and exotic plants. The grounds are nicely maintained and we enjoyed the peacocks.

Summary:
Overall we felt like we payed too much for this experience. The quality of the room, food and drinks certainly does not fulfill our idea of luxury. We also resented the constant up selling of tours, the spa, vendors allowed on site and water sports. On the website it says "all water sports included" but when you get there the only things listed are with a fee. And when you ask about the "included" activities, all you get are short, disinterested responses. So frustrating. I feel like the management could have done more to make this a better experience and really need to buckle down and start paying attention to details. Anyway we made the most of it and still manged to have a good time, but don't plan on returning to Sandals. P.S. Marlon the fitness instructor and Chevoy at the bar were both really cool and full of hospitality. I wish there were more like them there.

• Liked — The weather
  • Disliked — The Food, lack of comunication to guests
  • Stayed January 2009
3 Thank Chez-Thong
new jersey
Reviewed 16 January 2009

Room was moldy which gave off a foul odor, black mold underneath bathroom sink, very poor plumbing, showers turned to burning hot to cold without warning, bed very uncomfortable, drug dealers (aka surfboard peddlers) harass you everytime you go in the ocean, which isn't that clear or beautiful to begin with.

Food was less than desireable. If you are thinking about visiting the different Sandals hotels for their restaurants, don't bother, you'll have to wait a long time to get back anyway.

Want to lay in that beautiful cabana??... 75 bucks extra a day.

Don't worry about getting drunk....alcohol was mostly water.

Still waiting for bottled water. They don't want to give that out for some reason.

Shrimp cocktail was warm and slimy, baked chicken was cold and chewy.

Bring bug spray......!!!

Not worth the money...travel time...aggravation....

1 Thank greggysgirl