“Great Honeymoon. Would go back”

Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island
Ranked #7 of 62 Hotels in Montego Bay
South Carolina
“Great Honeymoon. Would go back”
Reviewed 30 July 2009

My husband and I got married at Beaches Sandy Bay and went to RC for our honeymoon. To start off my husband and I are very laid back and low maintenance people. I read a lot of great reviews as well as bad reviews. I have to say that we have nothing bad to say. We had a concierge level suite and upon arrival we were taken to the concierge lounge and offered cocktails and snacks. At that time they offered to make any dinner reservations and asked if we had any special requests for our stay. We arrived before check-in so we were given a tour of the resort and then taken to dinner at the buffet. I really enjoyed the food. We ate Thai one night and it was amazing. We wanted to eat there again but ran out of time. We ate of the French resturaunt twice and loved it. The cricketeers pub was great for lunch and we did have a casual dinner there was evening. It was a lot of fun. And of course the beach bar is always open and great for lunch if you don't want to change out of your swimsuit and just want something fast. We stayed on the private island most of the day. There is a very secluded beach there and most of the time we were the only couple there. Everything was kept really clean and the grounds were beautiful. While we were there they were doing some rentavating to part of the resort, I believe the river suites. We stayed in building 21 so it didn't bother us. If this would bother you I would ask where your room is going to be to make sure you aren't close. We had a wonderful time; I don't think our honeymoon could have been any better. We are planning another trip to Sandals and are considering RC. The only reason we wouldn't go is because we want to see other resorts too and has nothing at all to do with our previous stay.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
5 Thank beachbabe09

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,382)
  • Greek first
Iowa
Reviewed 30 July 2009

When my wife and I first arrived at the airport, we were conveniently found the sandals representatives. Then we received a mercedes instead of a shuttle bus and we looked at each other with astonishment. We checked in that after a short tour, our bulter faces us and says" Oh Yea! I forgot to mention that you have been upgraded to our highest room, the penthouse" Needless to say we were extremely pleased with this statement. The room was amazing with a great view of the ocean. The service from the butlers were outstanding. We never had to worry about a thing; they took care of everything. The only complaint I have is of the room service. At night maybe around 2300, we would like to order a cheeseberger or salad and we would never know how long it would take to receive our order. Once it took only 10 minutes, but most of the time they say at least an hour or more. One time it never showed up. The inconsistency made it frustrating to order something because we would never know when we would be getting it. Overall the vacation was amazing. The sights, service, and atomsphere were wonderful and I would go back in a heartbeat!

5 Thank jjwiiams
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed 29 July 2009

This was my first trip to a Sandals and my first time visiting a tropical island. I had a great time, but you can't really go wrong when you're in Jamaica.

I travelled to SRC (Sandals Royal Caribbean) with my boyfriend and a group of eight others for a wedding. My boyfriend and I are in our mid-twenties and love to travel, but always try to get the most for our money. We stayed for 5 days, 4 nights and booked the cheapest room available.

My first advice for your visit to Jamaica overall is they run on a different speed. There is no rush and nothing runs on time. In America, if you aren't happy with something you complain, they apologize and work quickly to get it fixed. In Jamaica they apologize and fix what is wrong, but there is rarely a rush. This held true when we first arrived to SRC and tried to get into our room.

It took an hour and a half to get into our room. Check in time is 3 and we got to the resort around 2:30. Everyone else in our group got into their rooms immediately, or within 30 minutes. We were told to get lunch and they'd come and get us in 10 minutes. 30 minutes later they hadn't told us anything about the room so we went back to the front desk. They then proceeded to get our bags and take us to a room. When we got there, they told us it still wasn't ready. We sat with our group for another hour waiting. Finally the bride in our group called and they told her the room wasn't ready either and that's when they gave us a complimentary upgrade.

We were very grateful, but even the upgrade wasn't perfect. Two days into the trip a roach came out of our bathroom drain. The staff immediately came and bug bombed the room. However, we were rarely in the room because we wanted to enjoy the sun, water and other activities, not sit in a room for the whole trip, so any issues with the room were not too bothersome.

Most of the staff was great. Many of them love to chat with the guests and you really get to know and become temporary friends with the servers, bartenders and people in charge of the entertainment.

We also enjoyed the fact there is no tipping. Anytime we travelled outside of the resort the requests for tips were, in my opinion, out of line.

I would also recommend trying something outside of the resort. We did the Chukka canopy tour, which was great, but they have a desk at the resort with information on many different activities to do around the island so I would recommend just finding an activity to do when you get there, rather than booking ahead.

The guys on the surfboards did not bother me at all. Security does a good job of keeping them outside the resort property lines and even when they do talk, you just tell them you have no money or are not interested and they'll leave you alone. I actually found chatting with some of these guys nice. It was nice asking them questions about the country and the culture.

The resort had some great activities too. While it is a little slower at night, and many do go to bed early, you can still find plenty to do until the early morning hours if you want. Plus, you can go just five minutes down the road to Montego Bay to party there until midnight if you'd like. The resort also offered nightlife activities outside the resort like a free pass and transportation to Margaretville. We spent our nights swimming in the pool outside our room.

The best activity the resort put on was the beach party. They closed down the main beach, set up tables and had a pig roast and several large buffets with food. Snorkeling was great too. We did not spend much time on the private island. I wasn't impressed with their beaches and enjoyed the beach outside our room more. However, the island does have a delicious jerk lunch buffet.

I think the food was great. The breakfast buffet was always good. For lunch they also had a really great buffet. We ate at all but the french restaurant and ever meal was excellent. I was not impressed with any of the desserts, except for the Regency whose final course was delicious. I also loved I didn't have to pay for anything. You really get your money's worth when it comes to food.

Overall, if I can only give one piece of advice for your trip to SRC, the more you pay the more you get, especially when it comes to the rooms.

I would recommend this resort if you want to stay in Montego Bay and I hope to try other Sandal's resorts.

• Stayed July 2009
3 Thank 7446ohiou
darnellanderson83
Reviewed 29 July 2009

We were celebrating our honeymoon and arrived in Jamaica way later than we wanted due to the ineptness of Spirit Airlines. When we arrived at the hotel after 9pm, we could tell,even at night, that the hotel atmosphere was exactly what we needed. The hotel entertainer was singing Elvis songs and the whole thing was charming. Every day from then was better and better. From the personable and professional, but not pushy at all, staff to the many great swimming pools, to the beautiful hotel property. The whole experience was great and the variety of foods was excellent. I want to thank some of those professional and friendly staff. To Anthony, Joanna, Netesha, and Ricardo, thanks for adding to our experience. Oh, and make sure that if you want to do shopping, change your money at the airport over to jamaican money. It will be very helpful as whatever your currency is worth way more than the Jamaican currency.

1 Thank darnellanderson83
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 29 July 2009

We only stayed 3 nights as we have three little ones at home. We honeymooned at a Sandals 10 years ago - and were excited about trying another out. We love the all-inclusiveness that Sandals offers. Our travel agent recommended Royal Caribbean because there are direct flights to Montego Bay from Chicago. The resort was only 10 minutes away from the airport, and there was a shuttle. (They claim the shuttle is free - but it is not operated by Sandals' employees so they "expect" a tip for handling your bags.) There is a great Sandals lounge at the airport - so you can wait in an air conditioned room with free beer and soft drinks.

When we first arrived at the resort - we were greeted with a cool wet towel (you'll need it to beat the summer heat in Jamaica!) After filling out some paperwork - we were directed to the Beach Grill as our room wasn't ready. (We arrived at 11 am and official check- in wasn't until 3 pm.) We were told a room would be ready early for us - but to enjoy a drink and lunch and they would come get us when it was ready. We each ordered a cheeseburger and fries. Even though we were both starving - we weren't able to eat the burger because the middle was blood red.... the fries were good, though! We only waited about 30 minutes and they came to take us to our room. We were told we were getting a room upgrade (YEAH!). We had originally booked a Grand Luxe room but were upgraded to a Beachfront Suite with Concierge/room service. Our room was the best part of the trip. When we walked out the door - we were at the east pool with a view of both the pool and the Caribbean! The East pool is small but very beautiful and quiet! We got to know the other couples we lounged around the pool daily. Everyone we met (both other guests and employees) were very friendly.

Since we were only there three nights, and you can't make reservations until you get there, we didn't have much choice for dinner that first night. The concierge was able to get us a 9 pm reservation at the Italian Restaurant at Sandals Montego Bay. We were warned by other guest that a late reservation means left-overs kept under the warming lights. My husband ordered a steak and calamari. The calamari was not edible as it had been under the heat light way too long! I even tried it thinking he was exaggerating. He wasn't! It was terrible. His steak was rare - and had seasonings he didn't like. I ordered a Caesar salad and Chicken with mozzarella cheese and spinach. Both were edible but nothing outstanding like I associate and expect with the price we paid for the trip.

We had a mini refrigerator in the room which was stocked with water and soft drinks. We had to ask for beer when they refilled the fridge the next day. We had room service and ordered calamari and cheese sticks to tide us over until our 9 pm dinner the first night. The food was great - we should've just stayed in and ordered room service for dinner, too!

We did not do any water sports or tours as we just wanted to lay around and relax. The second night we were there was the Friday Night Beach party. Pretty much all the restaurants in the resort are closed so everyone can attend. We got there late and it was so dark we couldn't see what the food was on the outdoor buffet, let alone the food on our plate when we finally found a table. I wish we would have just ordered room service again! My husband woke up sick the next morning with severe stomach cramps and diarrhea. Something he ate or drank didn't agree with him at all. He spent the whole day either in bed or the bathroom. I did spend a little time at the pool - but kept checking on him. We were supposed to eat at the French restaurant that night - and he decided he would try it. I ordered the sauteed mushrooms, french onion soup and herb chicken. My food was fantastic, but we ended up having to leave before dessert because he was feeling sick again. For being a fancy, reservations required restaurant - I would have assumed it would have been air-conditioned. It was closed in and very stuffy. (I know - we were there in July and that's what the weather is like in Jamaica in July - but air would have been nice!)

Lunch and break buffets at the Regency were okay. They had a lot to choose from - but again - nothing really note worthy! We did not get to try Cricketters or the Thai restaurant - i hear both are air-conditioned - which would have been a welcomed relief.

All in all - I was disappointed. The food was not the Sandals quality I remembered from our honeymoon. Also - not all the drinks are free. I drink white zinfandel and they don't offer it anymore. I could have purchased a bottle for $35 - which is ridiculous!

I would only recommend this resort because the views were outstanding and the people were so friendly. There is a wide age range at this resort! Not everyone was young and beautiful! If you are expecting good food - you will be disappointed!

3 Thank kimmy99
st. louis
Reviewed 28 July 2009

We love sandals resorts and were expecting to love this one, but it lacked in several areas.
Our room was filled with bugs at night because it onened to the outside and the door had a 1 1/2 inch gap at the bottom. we shoved a towel under it but most nights we just sprayed off all over. our room also overlooked the tennis courts where the employees had nightly soccer games (very loud, vulgar soccer games). Our room had cable for the first night we were there but it stopped working the next night, and repeated repair requests went unanswered. This is a big deal because during the day it is 107degrees and we are both very fair so we tried to stay out of the sun between 10 and 2 which is reccommened by the staff. We did have a pool that only people from our building used it was hard to find unless you were staying there. THis was very nice since the other pools have bars and tons of people in them (which while we were there for 4 hours one day I saw everyone drinking and nobody getting out to use the bathroom).
The beach was quite small and the swimming area was very very limited. There were lots of guys on surf boards offering the real Jamaican experience.
The food was the most dissappointing
Breakfast-- only one option buffet that never changed, but tasted good.
Lunch-- the worst of the day. only the beach grill or cricketers were open. I suggest going to the island around lunch they have a secret buffet that is excelent and grilled on site.
Dinner-- best thai resturant, very good food, nice atmosphere. The cricketers is horrible all around. the worst service. took 3 hours between apps. and entree (and we didn't wait the whole time we left and were told by others who stayed around).
Activities are boring.
Staff seems forced to be there, they rarely interact.
Except for the annoying photogs that follow you, and act offened when you politely decline to get up from the meal you've waited 2 hours for to pose for pictures in the very unnatural ways. (Kiss, pick her up, climb the tree, get in the water) All of these were asked of us at dinner in a dress and suit.
Also we are not huge on nightlife but this place closes up at 9pm. I asked my husband why we were waking up at 6am he said because we were in bed by 10pm.
If you are going to spend this kind of money try sandals negril (better beach and sunsets there) or the dunn's river sandals (better food, rooms, staff, excersions (try chukaa canopy tour zip line adventure), and beach). hope this helps

3 Thank mcpoodlemckenzie
Manchester
Reviewed 28 July 2009

Having previously read something like 38 pages of reviews for this hotel - which as you may notice appear to all sound great from our American cousins and not so great from my fellow Brits - I thought it only right that I should write my own and try as much as possible not to sound like another moaning Brit ! That said, f you are planning a trip to anywhere in Jamaica don't forget your Mosquito spray, they are everywhere !!!

Airport to the hotel is easy, most of the bus got off at the nearby Montego Bay resort leaving us & and one other couple. We were greated by Kenyon (who was pleasant & polite all week) with a glass of punch as our luggage was being brought in, so far so good...

Our rooms were ready straight away (it was about 3pm) so off we went. First impression of the colonial style hotel was that it looked big but was 'no frills.' By the way, they will try & leave a $400 'imprint' on your credit card at check-in, so make sure you have the money as a holding fee.

The weather was fantastic (pretty much stayed the same all week) but our room wasn't ! We had reserved a beach front room & couldn't understand why it was on the second floor, my other half simply said to Kenyon this wasn't "what we were expecting," and he contacted reception & immediately arranged to move us. The problem was, we had been upgraded without being told, so they were simply putting us back in the room we should have got (room 83) !

Think this was a bigger shock, technically it was 'beach front' but with a garden in front of the patio there was no way you were able to simply step out onto the beach. The room also had no fridge (sorry but this is essential for the night) and was absolutely nothing like the picture in the brochure. Again, Kenyon very politely explained that he would move us, but not until tomorrow, which we accepted because we had just arrived. One other thing girls, they operate a very low voltage system, so the chances are that your hair straighteners will not work, even with an English adapter.

We were quite tired so dined at the 'Regency' for the first evening, which was ok but nothing more, a slightly sour note was when the waitress asked if we wanted "the house wine or a wine from the managers selection?" In other words did we wish to pay for wine? Apart from the feeling of being slightly looked down-on, I also felt as if we had already paid enough just getting here, also Beringer is fine as a house wine.

The Regency is great for breakfast, in fact there is everything you could possibly wish for, with lots of fresh fruit, cereals, pancakes, omelette's cooked to your liking, etc, but has a very limited dinner selection. Breakfast is a buffet & nothing at all like the crowded 'rugby scrum' scenaio for food that others have painted. Shelly-Ann was very professional & polite, and made every effort with us each morning. Conrad & Troy were also helpful & polite.

I think you have to be careful after breakfast, as the all-inclusive element can take control somewhat. For example, we usually ate between 9:30 -10:30, but lunch is served at 12:30, and most days I felt as if I was force feeding myself, because if you miss lunch at the Regency you are left with the Beach bar as the only option, which very much caters for American diners with Cheeseburgers, hot dog's & Wraps the norm.

We spent most days on the beach which, again, has it's good points & bad. However, if you want to relax then you aren't left with much choice. On the one hand the main pool plays the same loud music for most of the day, trying to get people involved in pool volleyball, so head off to the beach where, again, the playmakers are trying to start up a beach volleyball game daily !

I agree with other reviews that instead of a nice sandy stretch of beach sporadically populated with the odd person, is a very small beach filled with sun loungers & a big volleyball net. The cabanas that you see on the pictures are charged at approx $60 for half a day, and the same goes for dinner on the beach (as in the photos) which will cost you $170. Contrary to other reviews we always got a sun lounger and didn't have to resort to getting up early to put towells out, as some have said previously. The hotel provides beach towells so need to pack any.

A couple of minor inconveniences are 1) the fact that it is 7 minutes from the airport means snoozing on the beach is out of the question with planes overhead, but not as bad as the other Sandals hotel in Montego Bay, which is almost at the end of the Runway! 2) There are constantly sellers along the sea, going from resort to resort, who will swim up to earshot & start shouting you to come over & look at their necklaces (although most are selling drugs) or ask if you will get them a drink from the beach bar. Not really a problem, if you say 'no' they will leave you alone & start shouting to the next person

We also went to the Spa & had the couples message, which was very good but very expensive ($300) for an hour, especially when they 'recommend' their products after the event which come up to another $49 unless you politely decline!

Around lunch time on day 2 Leighton (guest services) came to talk to us about moving rooms. He is very polite, cheerful & efficient. Within half an hour of discussing what we had originally booked & what we expected, he moved us to a room that was very similar to the standard of rooms on the photographs (room 216) so much so that I think our bathroom is the same as the photograph, with a huge shower & bath tub. He pointed out that we had a fridge & said he would arrange for some beers to put in (which they were straight away) so my advice for anybody with any kind of room trouble is 'speak to Leighton,' - he is the man !

The hotel manager - Iain - also took the time to introduce himself, and is a genuinely nice guy. He said words to the effect of 'my door is always open' but he meant it ! One day I disturbed him at breakfast & he still took the time to talk to me.

The offshore island is nice, the boat goes regularly & is quieter than the main beach (without the shouts of 'Volley Ball' in your ear), their lunch buffet is adequate but the Thai restaurant (open evenings) is very nice. We reserved for each place we wanted to go to on day 2 with Sigourney at reception - who was very helpful - without a problem, but take note, reserve on arrival in order to avoid disappointment.

With most restaurants, it is always handy to have a back-up when ordering (the Thai being the exception, as they give you all three main courses). I was very surprised at the lack of sea-food, considering crabs are moving all over the complex I didn't see any on the menu's, nor sea-bass. They have Lobster advertised but when we were there it was out of season and the one fish I did want - Swordfish - was on the menu, but when I ordered they had ran out.

On the last night we went to the French restaurant which was very nice. We both had Escargo which was excellent in a nice atmosphere. The beach party is highly recommended with great food (the hog & the steak in particular), in fact, the food on the beach was better than the food in some of the restaurants! It can be great going All-Inclusive, but not when they pour you half a glass of wine at the start of the meal, then you don't see them for 40 minutes !

Watersports with the Royal Caribbean are very good, we went snorkelling and it was enjoyable. The very last question on this is 'would you recommend this hotel to a friend?' This is very difficult as in England this would not be 5 *, more like 3. The staff are a mixed bunch, the majority are very friendly. I suppose I would point out the finer points to any potential friends, but I imagine that if I wanted the kind of silver service luxury that the brochure promotes, I would be tempted to look elsewhere.

1 Thank ManchesterBritAbroad