“Outdated. Slow service. Great location.”
Review of El Greco Resort

El Greco Resort
Ranked #34 of 64 Hotels in Montego Bay
Reviewed 20 January 2014

I stayed at the El Greco for 6 nights. I stayed in a "deluxe" suite in the A Building, which staff said had been recently renovated...if recently means the 80s. Standard ammenities like an iron, ironing board, hair dryer and kitchen supplies were only available upon request. When I did request these items, it took 48 hours before I received anything (with multiple calls) and never was able to get the hair dryer, because there is only one per building. I asked for 3 days and was never able to have it. The staff is slow getting anything done. I went to dinner on my 3rd night and waited 20 minutes before I even got a glass of water. I finally ordered room service in the restaurant because I wasn't getting any service with a half full dining room. Dinner took over 2 hours to arrive. There is only AC in the bedroom and one fan in the rest of the room.
Now, for the positive. Free access to Doctor's cave beach. It's an elevator ride down, beautiful, clean, good service there. There is also a supermarket, a post office and you're right on the hip strip (Gloucester St.). The view is nice from the restaurant. I can't imagine any of the rooms having a great view, they all faced the road or a parking lot, or both (like mine...in the deluxe suite...).

Room Tip: Go for the location. Not for the service.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Katie A
876-940-6115, Sales and Marketing Coordinator at El Greco Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2014

Thank you for your review. I apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced.

Every suite has an ironing board. Irons and hairdryers are usually provided upon request. However, all superior suites come with irons, hair dryers, shampoos, conditioners, body lotion, toothbrush and toothpaste. If you did not have these in your room then you might have gotten a regular suite. Our deluxe suites were refurbished last year. Some of our suites will give you a nice view of the ocean, depending on which floor you are on.

Once again, I apologize for the inconveniences. We welcome the opportunity to address these issues. You may email me at elgreco4@cwjamaica.com

Ordia Ricketts

Reviewed 17 January 2014

We have lots of things to do in montego bay so i always stay at el greco. It is both private and high on a cliff above the hip strip, also centrally located so when you take the elevator down through the Montego Bay Club codo building (14 floors) you are right on the hip strip. I always hire Jamaican Routes - http://www.jamaicanroutes.com/ - to drive me around. Gabby is the best and knows everyone form here to Negril and Ocho Rios and all the best places to go from this very comfortable hotel.
El Greco serves food in the dining room where they give you two choices of jamaican breakfast and bacon and eggs for the less adventuroius. it is a great place to plan your things to do in Jamaica. The rates were reasonable for a two bedroom suite with thre bathrooms! (+,- 140.00)

Room Tip: pick the suites on the top floor, approx 20 stories above Doctor's Cave beach
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for your review.

We are happy that you enjoyed your trip to Montego Bay. We appreciate you choosing El Greco Resort as your #1 choice for accommodation.

We hope to have you again with us!

Reviewed 31 December 2013

The hotel overlooks Doctors Cave beach which is a quick 14 store elevator. The rooms were clean and comfortable.

There is a convenient grocery store (expensive) in the adjacent condo building so have your driver take you to the local Hi-Low supermarket first if you plan on using the kitchen. You will also have to check out all cooking items at the front desk such as pots, pans, knives etc.

Really my only complaint is the balcony was VERY small, just enough room for two persons. If we had had an an extended stay this would have been a problem.

Room Tip: Ask your taxi drive to go to the local super market before arriving to save money on food.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
876-940-6115, Sales and Marketing Coordinator at El Greco Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2014

Thank you for review. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay. Our balconies are smaller in the One Bedroom Suites as these suites are more suitable for 1-2 persons. We do have a commissary on property which stocks snacks, juices, liquors, cooking items and personal items. We do welcome you to come again and we would be more than happy to recommend places that you can shop on your next visit.

Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

The hotel was minutes from the airport and across the street from doctors cove. Shopping area was close by and very convenient. The resort was clean and spacious, however did not have TV in one of the rooms and wifi not available in the restaurant. However, I must commend one of the servers Michele Henry she was a gracious host and greeted us with a warm smile every time she saw us.This budget friendly resort met our needs and expectations. I must also commend the security at the beach, felt safe throughout my stay there and leaving our personal items on the beach while we snorkeled. I will be back.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mongish
876-940-6115, Sales and Marketing Coordinator at El Greco Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Thank you for your review. We are happy that you had a pleasant experience. At El Greco Resort, we strive to deliver the best service. We are looking forward to having you with us on your next trip to Jamaica.

Reviewed 23 December 2013

My partner and I visited Jamaica for over two weeks and El Greco was the first of five hotels we stayed in. Our first impression wasn't great. The hotel staff hung up on us twice when we tried to organise transportation from the airport to the hotel before we left (having heard they offer a shuttle bus) but they did organise a respectable taxi driver to pick us up, for US $15, who was lovely and welcoming.

When we arrived at the hotel it did remind me of apartment blocks rather than a hotel but the grounds are well kept and it felt secure and safe. The ladies on reception didn't have the most welcoming and cheerful disposition but the ‘porter’ Jermaine was very friendly and showed us to our room. Helpfully, he also advised us that we could get the car rental company, from whom we had organised to pick up a car the next day, to pick us up from the hotel and take us to their office back at the airport, at no extra cost, which we did saving us another US $15.

The room itself was well furnished, spacious and clean. The only thing was the safety deposit box in the bedroom was broken. They did offer to put us in another room but as we were only staying one night we decided against moving. There was only air con in the bedroom which was fine as the fan in the lounge/dining area was powerful enough.

Breakfast was included in our stay and we went for the Jamaican option of ackee and saltfish, callaloo boiled dumplings, yam, plantain, johnny cakes and a plate of fruit. Tea or coffer and a small glass of juice was included/ Though the portions are small I found it filling, though my boyfriend disagreed. It wasn't the best example of Jamaican food as it lacked a lot of flavour but I’m guessing this is intentional for those with more sensitive stomachs! Also, beware, what is offered on the menu is not always available and you will find this across the island. Complaining is a waste of time, Jamaicans are too laid back to care. Just ask politely for an alternative/compensation and see what happens, though no promises!

The hotel is very close to the airport, approx. 10 min drive and Doctor's Cave beach on the Hip Strip, which the hotel gave us a voucher for and free/deposit free beach towels. This beach is definitely worth visiting, it’s small but beautiful with lovely white sand. Definitely one of the best we lay on and we lay on many beaches throughout our trip!

All in all a very comfortable hotel for a relatively short stay but if you’re looking for something with a little more to it, you may get bored easily staying here.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lamstockford

Thank you for your review. We really do appreciate your feed back. We are happy that you had a pleasant stay. I do however apologize for the unpleasant reception. We will address it.

Again, thank you for staying with us. We hope to have you again.

Ordia Ricketts

Reviewed 20 December 2013

Staying at El Greco right now, December 2013.
We booked a 'suite' which is supposed to accommodate up to four people. We are a family of 3 staying here on a bed and breakfast basis, we paid for 3 adults. We have a bedroom, en suite bathroom and a kitchenette with a lounge area where they've put in the third bed for my daughter. We do have to constantly remind the housekeeping to bring the 3rd towel, the 3rd set of the kitchen utensils etc.
The room is clean enough, decor quite dated but that doesn't bother me much really. We have a problem with ants in the bathroom and kitchen area. Cannot leave any food or drinks out for longer than a couple of seconds or the little ants appear all over it, again this is something you can learn to adapt to - just wash up and wipe everything clean immediately.

The breakfast is a bit of a joke - small portions. No breakfast buffet, you have to order and wait. Choice: American or Jamaican breakfast. Your American breakfast is supposed to include fried/scrambled eggs, toast/French toast and bacon but they're out of bacon most of the time - 'waiting for delivery'. Jamaican breakfast is a bit more generous however even though the menu at the reception lists the fried plantain, you do not get it unless you ask for it specifically and even then they're either out of it or the staff insists it is not included in your breakfast. You may be asked for extra 3USD if you want to swap the salt fish for eggs in your Jamaican breakfast.
The man at the table gets served first and the largest portion - very funny!
Service is all right, polite, maybe a little 'laid-back' but you do not wait for your food that long. Coffee is not too bad, it is the real filter coffee not the instant crap you usually get at the all inclusive hotels.
The view from the El Greco restaurant is absolutely stunning - you can see the famous Doctor's Cave Beach and quite a bit of the 'Hip Strip' and Montego Bay - that alone compensates for the shortcomings at breakfast.
THE NEGATIVE AT THIS HOTEL SO FAR - I BROKE MY TOOTH ON THE FRIED DUMPLING AT BREAKFAST, there was a bit of hard matter in it, no idea what that was. I complained about it but the waiter had a semi ironic smile on his face, the restaurant manager came out to talk to me and then after a bit of wait she came out again, told me the hotel manager is busy and will ring me at my hotel room later. Then with a big smile she says, 'Enjoy your day. Bye!'. Sure I will enjoy my day - I can't actually eat until I fix my tooth! 2 hours later still no phone call.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Mish M
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Nice place to ralax and unwind. Staff very pleasant. great view from the restaurant. food was great, needed a bit more variety but ok for the short stay i guess. not sure if this is with all the girls at the front desk, but one of them was a bit flirty with my bf. she is the one with the white plastered face and black hands.(maybe its the illness that changes skin colour) other than that everything else was perfect. room was spacious. sabastion the bell man was very helpful. joval in the bar was pleasant as well.

Room Tip: choose d block where its quiter. as for sabastian, very helpful
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple