“great stay for a great price!”
Review of El Greco Resort

El Greco Resort
Ranked #31 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Great stay from srart to finish! Great room for a great price. Free hot breakfast...Jamaican or American. Free private beach, shopping and resturants within walking distance. Great snack bar, resturant, and frozen drinks on beach. Chairs and umbrellas available. Beautiful view of shoreline and mountains. Can't wait to come back!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank 538SherryS
ElGrecoResort, Sales and Marketing Coordinator at El Greco Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Dear 538SherryS,

We are happy that you enjoyed your stay. At El Greco Resort, We strive to deliver exceptional service. Thank you for rating our property. We look forward to welcoming you again!

All the best.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

Physically look at the buildings, the garden and the parking spaces, the place looks old and dilapidated. Take a look at the annex building which house the lift to the strip. The bridge is falling apart and looks like a disaster in the making. The building is still not painted and the other buildings needs a paint job. The grass are not cut and the drive ways need paving

Inside the apartments the furniture and beds needs replacement. The bathroom also are in a poor state. This sort of accommodation is not worth more than $75 per night but they demand 125 usd.

Its impossible to get a room with the sea view. I stayed there before. This was my 2nd stay there. Seems like they give it to their friends or the permanent residence there.

The people working there are trying their best.

Room Tip: Good luck in getting a nice room; they give it to their friends. Even if you book one year in advanc...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Dear SLM747,

Our grounds are well kept and we take great pride in ensuring that our property is always clean. Unfortunately, we have no control over how often the other properties beside us paint their buildings. Please rest assured that the walkway that leads to the elevators is quite sturdy. There has never been an issue with it in the past and our guests enjoy the view of the Hipstrip from there

All our guests are treated with respect and equality. I am not sure what you mean when you say we give the ocean view rooms to our friends. We do our best to ensure that our guests are satisfied. Thank you for mentioning that.

Reviewed 15 February 2014

The El Greco as has been reported previously is a 'find' for those who are a bit weary of all-inclusives. I stayed 9 full days and can't think of anything I didn't enjoy. The suites are equipped with kitchen, if you want to cook, but there is a bar and restaurant which serves excellent food. The staff from the front desk to the wait staff to the housekeeping staff are pleasant and helpful. I have no complaints whatsoever. The buildings are a bit dated but who cares. The bed was comfortable. The setting is particularly nice big forest behind, views of the ocean and beach in front. The hotel itself has beautiful gardens. Good restaurants are right at the bottom of the elevator which deposits you on the 'hip strip' with Doctors Cave Beach a few steps away and free to El Greco residents. There is a little 'commissary' on site and a convenience store at the bottom of the elevator which has very reasonable prices on everything from booze to nuts.
I loved the fact that you could choose to be active or just to sun at the pool or at the beach and return to your accommodation whenever you liked. There were plenty of tours available. The safety deposit is not complimentary. There may be some old information sheets around. I was very fortunate to spot a Doctor Bird, Jamaica's national bird who is an absolutely gorgeous humming bird with two long tail feathers. What a treat.
There was some partying on a weekend night but it closed down at a reasonable time. Otherwise very quiet and peaceful. I do plan to go back sooner rather than later.

Room Tip: I was on the ground floor by choice but there are higher room with views. I have some pictures but...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank waterrat1
Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this resort with my husband for a few days around New Years, and I was pleasantly surprised of the what you get for your money. No it is not all-inclusive, but they do have great breakfasts, free wifi and free access to the beach which is just across the street. The accommodation itself consists of a one bedroom apartment with a kitchen which we used to cook our own lunches and dinners. The grounds itself are very well maintained and the staff for the most part were quite helpful and polite. If you are looking for a home away from home, I would recommend this resort, although it is much better suited for singles or couples as outside of a pool, ping pong table and tennis court, there is not much to entertain the kiddies.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Lorraine M

Dear Lorraine,

We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your review.

There are a variety of games available at the front desk for children and adults. Our location makes it easy to access the beach and other attractions close by.

We look forward to having you with us again.

Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the el greco for one week. When I checked in I was charged 21 dollars to be able to access the safety deposit box. Then I got to the room and it was over all nice. The next day I read the information book on the hotel and saw that the saftey deposit box was complimentary!! Felt riped off by the front desk lady!! I go go Jamaica every few months to visit my boyfriend dont know if ill go back to this hotel just because I feel like the front desk ladies will scam you!!!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jholdsworth
ElGrecoResort, Sales and Marketing Coordinator at El Greco Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

Thank you for your review. We do charge for the safety boxes. There are a few suites in which the information books need to be updated. We are working on that. Please be assured that the charge of US$3.00 per night is a legitimate charge. If there is any matter that you would to bring to our attention, please feel free to email me at elgreco4@cwjamaica.com.

Reviewed 29 January 2014

Had a lovely stay here with my boyfriend.
Restaurant staff very friendly, food was fantastic. Reccomend the curry goat and rice!
Free wristband to doctors cave beach and also free wifi which is fab!
Hav recommended to family in jamaica and also friends!
Will b back very soon

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank roxyhart1989
876-940-6115, Sales and Marketing Coordinator at El Greco Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2014

Thank you for reviewing our property.

We are happy that you had an enjoyable experience. We always strive to deliver the best service.

We are eager to have you again with us!

All the best!

Reviewed 20 January 2014

I stayed at the El Greco for 6 nights. I stayed in a "deluxe" suite in the A Building, which staff said had been recently renovated...if recently means the 80s. Standard ammenities like an iron, ironing board, hair dryer and kitchen supplies were only available upon request. When I did request these items, it took 48 hours before I received anything (with multiple calls) and never was able to get the hair dryer, because there is only one per building. I asked for 3 days and was never able to have it. The staff is slow getting anything done. I went to dinner on my 3rd night and waited 20 minutes before I even got a glass of water. I finally ordered room service in the restaurant because I wasn't getting any service with a half full dining room. Dinner took over 2 hours to arrive. There is only AC in the bedroom and one fan in the rest of the room.
Now, for the positive. Free access to Doctor's cave beach. It's an elevator ride down, beautiful, clean, good service there. There is also a supermarket, a post office and you're right on the hip strip (Gloucester St.). The view is nice from the restaurant. I can't imagine any of the rooms having a great view, they all faced the road or a parking lot, or both (like mine...in the deluxe suite...).

Room Tip: Go for the location. Not for the service.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Katie A

Thank you for your review. I apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced.

Every suite has an ironing board. Irons and hairdryers are usually provided upon request. However, all superior suites come with irons, hair dryers, shampoos, conditioners, body lotion, toothbrush and toothpaste. If you did not have these in your room then you might have gotten a regular suite. Our deluxe suites were refurbished last year. Some of our suites will give you a nice view of the ocean, depending on which floor you are on.

Once again, I apologize for the inconveniences. We welcome the opportunity to address these issues. You may email me at elgreco4@cwjamaica.com