“Not so bad ”

El Greco Resort
Ranked #31 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
“Not so bad ”
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for twelve days with my sister and two friends(my friends live in Jamaica). The unit reminded me of a townhouse, it was very spacious with two large bedrooms. Both rooms had AC but the second room did not have a TV and no AC in the living room or kitchen. Most of the nights, we had to leave the front door open and the balcony door to get a breeze. I could not imagine staying here in the summertime. The kitchen is large however, there are tiny insects in the cabinets which we learned very quickly not to use them. We had plastic cups in the cabinet and I grabbed one with at least 50 red insects in it. Housekeeping comes daily and she had no problem bleaching everything for us but the insects still came. Never had a problem with them in the bed just the bathroom and kitchen. They did get on my laptop as well. The breakfast was good but not plentiful I did ask for more at times which they had no problem giving more. Sometimes certain foods ran out. I did feel safe and security monitored premises at night. You can have guest but they have yo leave by 8 or 9pm. You get free beach towels and beach passes daily which is a plus. The location is great right in the heart of the strip. I think for the price this hotel is a great deal. If they could get rid of the insects I would not mind staying here every time I come to Jamaica. Here is a tip for anyone coming. Bring insect spray, pots and pans , plastic ware and cooking utensils. You can stock your fridge with food and drinks from the market. If you want to save money and not go all inclusive. I would recommend El Greco, as long as tiny insects don't bother you. If you keep everything clean and not leave foods of drinks out you will be fine. I am actually coming back to Jamaica for two weeks in June and debating if I want to spend a week here.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank La Tonia T
ElGrecoResort, Sales and Marketing Coordinator at El Greco Resort, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Hello,

We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for sharing your review. We apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced and will do our best to improve.

We hope to have you again with us.

Ordia

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Castries, St. Lucia
Reviewed 12 May 2014

The outside of this hotel holds promises which are not fulfilled by the rooms. It has a good layout but desperately needs upgrading and modernizing. I stayed in B Block on the ground floor; thankfully for only one night. I found the doors (both back and front) did not seem very secure. Too loose and shaky. The curtains in the living room did not close completely and being on the ground floor, this made me a bit nervous. Eventually, I crossed them one over the other and wedged a bar stool against them to keep them closed. There is one A/C unit in the bedroom and none in the living area, which makes little sense. In addition, for the entire night I was there, the A/C only blew regular air. It never got cold.

Furniture is very outdated and cupboards a bit musty. I did not dare open any in the kitchen for fear of insects. There were ants running around in the bathroom. Even after letting the 'hot' water run for more than 15 minutes, it never heated up and because I had no time to wait for them to attempt to fix it I braced myself and did a cold shower both on the evening of arrival and morning of departure. Strangely, my friend in the room next door had very hot water. The floor tiles throughout are the old fashioned, very small ones which indicates just how old the rooms are. I did not like the musty smell of the bathroom and the extractor fan made no difference. Bed sheets are incredibly thin and I was not happy about the level of laundered freshness. I used my personal pillow case (always travel with one as a precaution) but did not have a comfortable night's sleep. Towels also lacked any softness.

Breakfast service was very slow. I would not go back there unless I knew they had done an entire and complete upgrade! I do not recommend at all.

Room Tip: I would suggest that you choose NO rooms here and investigate other options
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Dequanna
Hello,

Thank you for your review. We are sorry for the inconveniences that you experienced. We value you feedback and will do our best to ensure that we improve. As for the water heater, turning it on usually does the trick.

We hope we are given the opportunity to serve you again.

Travellers are raving about these Montego Bay hotels

Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 8 May 2014

I would say this is a good option to stay in a nice, comfortable and affordable place in Montego Bay.
The units are nice, not spectacular or over the top. It has just what you need if you are the type that stays in a hotel to use it as headquarters. It is a nice and quite place to return to at the end of the day after being outside visiting other places nearby.
If you are looking for a place where you stay all day and leisure around the property, this is not for you. The restaurant has good food and breakfast is really good. Food in general in Montego Bay is expensive so this is as good as any.
The pool is small but nice.
The give you passes to go to the beach which is conveniently located across the street. It has a nice view of "hip street" and the bay in general.
The staff is helpful. Although, I have to say, in general in Jamaica, tourists are not well treated. No one will talk to you with a smile on their faces. People in general are rude but I guess that is just cultural.
Still if you bring up an issue to the staff they will do what they can to help you. The units have one air conditioning unit in the master Bedroom that they use for the entire unit which I believe eventually will burn out the AC unit. But I have found out AC is not really common in Jamaica. Still, it works just fine, just make sure close tight all windows and doors.
The kitchenette is useful and they will give you pots and pans upon request. That saved me a lot of money on food I would have bought in restaurants.
Overall this is a good option. But if you want the royal treatment and not deal with real Jamaica go to one of the many "all inclusive resorts where they keep you away from what is real".
Honestly I don't like that, instead I would go to any resort in the US.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank elzorrocr
Dear Elzorrocr,

Thank you for your recent review. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay and that you found our staff to be pleasant and courteous. We at El Greco Resort strive to deliver excellent guest service.

We look forward to the pleasure of having you again.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 27 April 2014

This resort has great potential with renovations! The onsite restaurant has a spectacular view of the ocean. The staff was very pleasant. The bed was comfortable. They had hot water. Though the room was clean, it is outdated. None of the rooms have an ocean view. Rooms are all situated close to the main road. Stayed in Building A, my room had many ants in the bathroom and kitchen which annoyed me more than anything. It was ok for one night. Would have stayed another night if a better room was available away from the road. They showed me another room in building D, but it was close to the road as well. So I checked out and went the Hilton Rose Hall which was 3 times more in cost but it gave me the view and ambience I was seeking for this trip. For the same price as El Greco, you can stay at Genesis Sheer Elegance in Ironshore which is a guesthouse of sorts and its very nice.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
ElGrecoResort, Sales and Marketing Coordinator at El Greco Resort, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear Tequila M,

Thank you for your review. I am pleased to let you know that we are in the process of renovation our suites with new furniture. This will give our rooms a more modern look. Our guests safety, convenience and comfort are very important. I apologize for the inconvenience that you experienced, and hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you again.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

Booked this hotel based upon the pictures and location but upon our arrival from the states we were totally disappointed. The staff at the front desk were very rude and not very accommodating. The price that we paid was not correct and we tried to resolve this matter with the manager who was somewhat helpful. The room was nothing like the pictures,air conditioner did not work properly,kitchen floor was not thoroughly clean.Please do not WASTE YOUR MONEY

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank dottie4real
Hello Dottie,

Thank you for your review. Unfortunately, when you book with 3rd parties, then any incorrect amounts charged to your card would be an error on their part. Since you paid them directly, then it takes some time to secure a refund for you. Every effort was made to ensure that you were compensated for any inconvenience.

We look forward to having you again.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 2 April 2014

I booked the El Greco because it looked nice in the pictures online and was reasonably priced. When I arrived, I was greeted warmly and check-in was fast and easy. I was a bit shocked when I got to the room. While it appeared clean, the furnishings were very dated, and the cabinets were missing hardware. The tiles also had all kinds of stains on them making the room seem dirty. I also was given a room that faced the road and it was almost impossible to sleep because of the noise. The ac was not nearly as strong as it needed to be for JA. It is also only in the bedroom, and the rest of the room is without. The breakfast is pretty basic. Eggs, toast, and bacon. I had booked two nights and glad that I only did two. I found another hotel close by that was about the same price, but much much nicer.

Room Tip: If you stay here, make sure you request a room not facing the road or you will have difficulty getti...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank DrSteve6872
Dear DrSteve,

Thank you for reviewing our property. We will try our best to correct any issues that you experienced. I must also mention that we are in the process of renovating.

We look forward to having you again with us.

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 31 March 2014

My wife and I didn't want to do a resort and feel like we were in Prison so we decided to stay at this place. This place is clean but only 20% of the rooms are updated. Our second room was better than our first but we had a rare problem with the first one with a few nuisance's which I don't think the hotel is filthy but it is in the mountains and anything is possible. After our problem the Manager Byron was very prompt to place us in an upgraded room quickly and apologize for any problems. There is no TV in the bedroom which many Americans may find a problem but you are on a beautiful island who needs TV. There is a TV with plenty of channels in the living room. The location is awesome with a 24hr elevator with security so you are safe on the hip strip 24hrs a day. The A/C is in the room only fan and open windows in the living room get a second floor or higher room if possible. You have to ask for cooking supplies which maybe limited. In our second room we had more cooking supplies forks, spoons, a pan and a microwave. The bed is comfortable and we had a view of the parking lot which didn't bother us. The beach is literally across the street, chairs cost about six bucks at most, and drinks are about $9 a piece if they deliver them too you. If you need a driver get Solomon or ask Solomon to request a friend. We lucked up and got Charlie 876 359-2931. Charlie was Excellent professional avoid others at the hotel. Charlie is a nice guy class act and so is Solomon.

Room Tip: Get a room on the second or higher floors and try to get an ocean view if they have any
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank KELLENKASH
Dear Kellenkash,

Thank you for your review. We are happy that we were able to correct any problems that you experienced and are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you again.