“A Disgrace to the Hotel/Food Industry” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Richmond Hill Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Montego Bay
Richmond Hill Inn
Ranked #31 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
Monetgo Bay
“A Disgrace to the Hotel/Food Industry”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2011

I am in the service Industry and knows what it means to satisfy my clients and how to treat paying customers. Unfortunately I have not had the experience of staying at the Richmond Hill Inn hotel due to the unprfoessionalism and tasteless service that was provided to me in the stages of planning my rehearsal Dinner event. I received two emails from Grace their wedding planner and at no point was she helpful or suggestive. I received an email saying they could host my event for 60 guests and two days later was very saddened when I received another email with her telling me they will not be bale to host my rehearsal dinner due to the fact I thought their prices were outragoeus. When I met them in person they seemed nice and pleasant. After going back and forth with emails I could sense they were discriminating and they were charging me based who my Fiance was. To add to that a follow up call was done and she was blatanly rude and sounded disgusted...I cannot write anything good about the staff or even recommend anyone to go there. They are a bunch of women who are seemingly trying to run a business they know nothing about and will never have me recommend anyone else to their Hotel....poor customer service, unprofessional owners, underpaid staff and very classless!!!!!!! Take your money and go elsewhere where color or class is not important.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank UsainTOR

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2011

We had a lovely weekend stay at Richmond Hill. The staff were great and breakfast was a good continental breakfast. We really enjoyed the pool and the grounds. As others have mentioned the hotel decor is slightly dated, but our room was clean and comfortable! Please note, the restaurant is not open anymore so you will have to leave the premises to eat lunch and dinner. Also as is the case for most of Jamaica, bathrooms do not have shampoo and conditioner provided, just soap, so bring your own

Room Tip: Rm 30 had a nice view and private balcony
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2011

Let me start by saying this is not a beach hotel, nor is it a four star resort. But I woke up my first morning there to busloads of tourists (not guests) coming to the hotel just for the view. One american tourist signed up for a room on the spot even though she had already paid for her room at another hotel, when her tour driver asked her why, she said "because I wanna wake up HERE, tomorrow", and the way she stressed the word "here", you would think it was the four seasons.

I think its a local attraction or something, and all the tour companies and taxis know where to go when they want to show their clients a view of montego bay. The spot where the hotel is located is not a recent discovery. It was chosen hundreds of years ago, when the spanish ruled jamaica (1600's to 1700's). The house was a plantation "great house", and still has the original structure as part of the hotel. There is a jar in the main courtyard that came over on a spanish galleon or something and still bears the original seal of isabella or whoever the queen was back then. Original mahogany furniture older than dirt is still in some of the rooms in the historic part of the hotel, where there is sort of a museum feel.

OK after all of that lets get to the lodgings. The biggest drawback is there is no food. there is only a continental breakfast (muffins, juice coffee, fruit, etc), and you can order from the montego bay restaruants. If you're going to do a getaway hotel with no food in jamaica, montego bay is probably one of th eonly towns that can swing it, its more of a city than ocho rios, but without the urban bustle of kingston. So my point is there are dozens of food options within five minutes. The rooms are fine, I've seen the rooms at the sandals etc, and really they are not worth the extra 500 per night for my money, but you should know that this is a boutique hotel, so there is a mini fridge in your room, and it aint stocked, in fact you have to flip a switch on a power strip mounted on the side of the vanity that powers the fridge, tv, and vanity lamp), but the rooms/baths are clean and relatively modern, with your own remote controlled air conditioner, and the beds are good, even with my bad back. The hotel is sort of deserted at night though, i think all the guests go down to other clubs/hotels/restaurants at night. I went up to the pool/bar/checkin counter after 8pm and it was dark and deserted. But there is free wifi up there 24/7 if you want, you just have to turn on the lamp yourself.

By my reveiws, you can see that I'm a value hunter, and I've travelled around the caribbean and the US since I was in my 20's, so when I saw this veiw I knew it was nothing to scoff at. My dad stayed at this hotel for years, and when I asked him for a value place he didnt hesitate, and he knows every inch of this island like a GPS. I was born in jamaica and to this day i know no one with a more encyclopedic knowledge of the island. He stayed here back when it was run by the "mother", now its run by her twin daughters. In short, my new montego bay plan is to stay at this hotel and get day/night passes for the more expensive places. That way I can pay $85 for a room with a great view, and pay $90 for a day/night pass to a $600 place. I stayed here a few weeks ago and I'm going back.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank kwright00
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2010

The staff were amazing, the rooms were elegant, and the view was a panoramic beauty beyond compare it, is a must see. We had a lovely wedding renewal ceremony
and it was made all the greater by the hotel's assistance and hosting of the event and its proceedings, we are thankful to the staff for their amazing job, especially Grace the planner.
Thank you from the McKenzie family.

• Stayed December 2010
Hilton Head, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2010

We had the pleasure of staying at Richmond Hill Inn (now known as Grace Hotel) just last week. It was by far the nicest most relaxed Inn we have ever stayed at. The view is spectacular, the service is impeccable and the character of the place cannot be replicated. It is like walking back in time. You almost expect Clark Gable and Rita Hayworth to dance around the pool at any moment. It has kept its grandeur of the past and not bowed down to the all-inclusive commercialized hotels that so many people are wanting these days. It has CHARACTER!!! Grace, Gail, Ms Chen, Taylor - they all made our trip unforgettable. You have to love a place that keeps the same owners and many of the same employees for decades. That always says a lot about a place. We had to force ourselves to leave and go sightseeing. The pool and view are simply intoxicating. For breakfast they sit your table with the freshest fruits and pastries and give you 4 star service. I just can't go on enough about this place. It was a magical place to stay and we cannot wait to get back!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
el sobrante
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2010

Richmond Hill wasn't our 1st choice, but we were not allowed to stay at Vista De Bahia because we had 1 more person than we made the reservation for. Richmond Hill has a beautiful view of Montego Bay. The family that owns the hotel are very nice people. The mother was born in Austria (if I remember correctly), she moved to NY where she had her twin daughters. They moved to Montego Bay, where the twins were raised. They have owned the hotel for 50 yrs.The restaurant and pool area are nice. Our room with a kitchen was roomy and comfortable. They need to paint and update a little, but we were happy to be there at the same price for 2 rooms and a kitchen as we would have paid for one room at Bahia which wouldn't allow us to stay, because we were traveling with locals.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
London, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2010

The reviews on Tripadvisor were decent and the hotel was recommended by the guide books but it just did not match reality.
Issues -
The rooms are tired and in need of refurbishment
The pool area had bits of broken glass
No mention of 3 Alsatian dogs - we travelled with a young child but seeing the dog go in and drink from the pool was a bit much
Attempt to charge for breakfast - though it was meant to be included
Restaurant was closed
The place was pretty empty save for other tourists coming to see the view
Good bits -
Great view
Nice staff
I think the place needs some investment so it can live up to its potential. Currently seems to be living off former glory days

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family