“As far as a wedding goes this is the place”
Review of Richmond Hill Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Montego Bay
Richmond Hill Inn
Ranked #31 of 62 Hotels in Montego Bay
Colorado
“As far as a wedding goes this is the place”
Reviewed 16 February 2010

My daughter had her wedding here. If you are looking for a great wedding site. Food flowers cake rum punch dic jockey and all the trimmings for 50 people 3,000.00 dollars. It was the best looking and affordable wedding ever. We had our wedding party stay at an all inclusive and had a super wedding there. The wedding pictures do not do it justice. It really was worth the money.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 15 November 2009

On our first visit to MoBay we stayed at a small hotel near the airport at the end of the runway. Bummer! Then we discovered Richmond Hill. Stefanie, Gail and Gracie gave us attention that would rival Round Hill or Half-Moon. The food was just great. We enjoyed guest parties in the penthouse and late night drinks at the bar. We had a great fishing trip on one of Stanley's boats...the Big Blue Marlin I landed still hangs in my den.
...Wonderful, sweet memories of wonderful people and a wonderful time in a paradise setting.

• Stayed February 2006, travelled as a couple
New York
Reviewed 24 January 2009

This is a hotel from the days before the all-inclusive hotels, when the commanding view of Montego Bay was enough to bring a fine clientele to dine and stay on one of the highest points in town.

The lady who owns the place has run it for many years with her daughters, and they were so nice to us. Everyone made us feel very welcome and happy to spend our first night in Jamaica.

We ate dinner out by the pool. The service was flawless. The dinner, in honesty, was so-so, but we had a nice time anyway.

We stayed in the penthouse suite, which has a perfectly beautiful panoramic view of the whole bay and the town, very glittery (and a bit noisy at night, the music jumping down below)....In truth, we wish someone would come spend a couple hundred grand to update the plumbing, fixtures, and surfaces...this place could be so posh. But then it wouldnt be nearly as affordable!

All in all we had a great time and felt we had excellent value for the money. This is not a plasticized tourist experience, but a taste of retro pleasure.

• Liked — Nice people, welcoming atmosphere, spectacular views
  • Disliked — Plumbing, furniture is dated and worn
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank bamydood
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 14 September 2008

Richmond Hill Inn

I stayed at Richmond Hill Inn as part of a overnight to be close to the airport for a fairly early flight. (was coming in from Kingston)…Single female traveling alone.

The Journey to the Inn

Took the 6am Knutsford Express from New Kingston to Montego Bay…. Other than the limited departure times, I can’t say anything bad at all about Knutsford, on time, quick (as the trip can be), clean, comfortable, a/c, water, it’s a great deal!

Honestly my first time in recent memory that I’d been in Montego Bay proper, so I was pretty unfamiliar with where I’d be dropped off… I’m pretty sure its nearby Pier 1 tho… it’s a parking lot by a plaza and there were a few taximan waiting… one said 400J to get to Richmond Hill, I wasn’t sure of the proximity to the hotel and on retrospect this was a little high, but I figured it wasn’t going to kill me so I got in…

I knew this hotel was not beachfront, however I didn’t know it was back behind downtown Montego Bay, didn’t phase me, but anyone considering it should be cognizant that downtown montego bay isn’t the place tourist frequent (that’s the hip strip)… it’s typically recommended tourist do not visit downtown after dark…

Passing thru town we drove up a steepish hill to the Inn… glimpses I could see of the view from the hill were wonderful, I was quite happy (I love looking down on the city from the hills) :)

The Hotel

First impression: this hotel was likely built (or at least last renovated) in the 50s/60s, and left there… parts that were not open air of the common areas were darkish and dated… furniture seems to have seen a few better days… nothing in obvious disrepair or anything, just dated. The restaurant has wrought iron tables/chairs (painted white)… hopefully you can get the picture… It was probably in its glory when it was last redone, but a facelift would make it a much more appealing destination for me… that said, it was kept very clean…

Check In

I was early… very early (think I reached well before 10am), had reservations, but had to wander around to find a maid who got the manager to check me in… Took a quick wander around the restaurant and found the reason I could like the place.. the view is awesome… overlooking downtown mobay, and the pier off in the distance, plus the hills to the left… it’s beautiful… Manager came in about 5-10 minutes…. I didn’t stop at a bank machine to get cash to pay for my stay and just wanted to leave my luggage behind the front desk while I wandered to town, got something to eat and picked up some money (I figured I’d have time to do this since I was so early, and explained this to her)… Nonsense she said, as she proceeded with the check in, settle in and bring her the cash when I got around to it… Cool! Took her awhile to find everything (guess I took them off guard showing up so early) but after that check-in was painless.. The only caveat that didn’t sit right with me was that she wanted to take a (colour) copy of my passport… said it was standard operating procedure… I obliged and asked for a marker to make a mark across the photocopy… I know it’s possible to replicate the past copied items on most photocopiers, but hopefully she doesn’t! I asked for the photo copy back on checking out… haven’t thought too much of it since, never been arrested or had issue coming/going to the island from Canada or US so hopefully I’m ok LOL

The Rooms

Well reiterate what I said about the hotel… fair-sized, there’s a standard bathroom, closet (slight moldy smell, travel febreeze helped), a bed, TV, bedside tables, a couch, dining room table /chairs, A/C and a fair-sized balcony… all dated décor (lots of flowered pattern) but clean and reasonably comfortable…. I think I had a non-smoking room, but as with old hotels there was no such thing at one time, and people just don’t always respect it at others, so it had that faint faint smell/film grime never quite leaves the wall and furniture… Nothing worth complaining about at all, it is just the way it is. I febreezed the place and was fine…

I walked out on the balcony and automatically had a better impression.. an even better view than the restaurant was out my balcony.. loved it.. would be a perfect place to watch the sun set later… mental note to make sure I was there…

The Area

There was a group of tourists in a small bus in the parking lot area of the Inn… figured they must have been picking them up or lost or something… I grabbed a ride down the hill from them and found myself to the bank machine… Downtown Mobay is what it is… a Jamaican downtown… if you’re looking for duty free, margaritaville and the like, head to the hip strip… you’re not going to find it in downtown mobay… Downtown is cramped and chaotic and not all that tourist friendly… There’s a burger king, a Scotia bank , a Grocery and some cd selling people… that’s all that I was looking for so I was happy… I am not phased by being in more “hardcore” Jamaican areas and being around Jamaicans, someone who is may feel uncomfortable downtown… I’m sure a taxi to the hip strip should run you no more than 5US… As I said, it's recommend ppl who don't need to be there, don't go downtown after dark (esp tourists).... hip strip is generally considered safe (with common sense) after dark if you need a late night outing...

The Hotel 2nd Impression

On returning I wanted a drink and to enjoy the pool and just chill out… (I’d been on a very adventurous stay up in the hills in St Thomas and in urban Kingston/Spanish Town so I was looking for a little downtime. Went to the bar ordered my drink and asked to borrow a cd player (wanted to listen to the cds I’d purchased) and sat at the bar to take in my drink… Then this weird thing started happening… other people showed up in small groups… 2-3 at a time, in the company of a tour guide looking people… figured it out quick.. Richmond Hill Inn is somewhat of a modern day historical site… the views and some recent history around it make it a stop on the small tour groups rotation… They bring people up to the inn, probably get some kick back and these people spend a few dollars at the bar and get some revenue into the hotels pocket.. all and all I guess it makes sense with the views and whatnot, it’s a showcase type place… I didn’t mind this at all at first because whenever a mixed drink was ordered the bartender would sneak me a glass with the overflow… :) but after about an hour or two it got old, and sitting by the pool in my bath suit I rather felt on display… so I exited to my room…

The Pool

I wanted to go into the pool, but it just didn't seem as if it'd been cleaned/skimmed at all that day... maybe I was being overly picky... some people did use it (part of a tour group that decided to stay for a little bit), but I decided it wasn't for me...

The Food…

Only ate breakfast at the hotel.. Overpriced ackee and saltfish which was quite good (but does have to be requested in advance as many places that aren’t roadside stops and well traveled) I asked the night before and got what I ordered in the morning… I was the only one being cooked for apparently so the chef came out and talked to me for a good amount of time... ver friendly and called a driver to carry me to the airport after breakfast...

The Richmond Hill dinner menu looked decent but the prices were high... couldn't justify it when I was really just craving some stew chicken for my last night...For that dinner, a friend from back by Farm Heights (mobay neighbourhood) met up with me and we walked (gasp, after dark) to a local place to get some cook food… brought it back to the hotel and ate on the balcony, taking in the nighttime view… good food, great conversation and amazing view… can’t complain at all :)

The Details

Umm… they have these signs around the room areas of the hotel that say “paid guest only beyond this point” my friend thought it was a discouragement to guests bringing locals to their rooms (and as an extension he was sure that he would be asked to leave or whatever lol), I explained that 1) I was a paying guest and 2) I’m pretty sure it was to discourage the wandering tour group ppl about not to enter the room areas… maybe I’m just naïve, but that made more sense to me… obviously maybe a double meaning, but the most blatant one to me would be to control the people that cycle thru the place every day… never seen a sign like that in a Jamaican hotel before, even those considered not “local friendly” .... I've seen notations in various places that all guests on property should be registered at the front desk, but never anything so in your face and I don't think it's quite as offensive as he took it...

Nothing else really to say about the hotel. The people were friendly, outgoing and helpful (chef came out talked to me thru my breakfast, bartender hooked me up, manager was very accommodating, maid was a sweetie), but coming from the other side of the island and for such a short stay, I was more just “there” and didn’t really feel any attachment to the place… I can see if people go for a bit longer that the staff would likely grow on you as they were probably some of the more accommodating and over the top helpful people I’ve encountered in a long time! I’m giving it 3* but if there was a 3.5 I’d do that because the people were so nice and accomodating but maybe I’m superficial tho, it would need a facelift to really rate much higher with me…

• Liked — The staff were very accomodating, the View was awesome!
  • Disliked — dated decor...
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled solo
5 Thank Chell00
Santa Clarita, California
Reviewed 28 September 2007

Our family of four stayed here for 6 nights during September 2007.

The good stuff: the restaurant and pool areas are quite beautiful and relaxing. We loved the free wireless internet that was available in the lobby area. There is a big screen TV there too. I liked the location, since it is not directly in the 'Hip Strip' tourist area. And of course, the view of Montego Bay and the entire city was breathtaking and unparalleled from the Richmond Hill Inn. Our standard room included cable TV, a microwave, telephone, and a refrigerator at no extra charge. The room was clean and comfortable, and the rooms are non-smoking. The entire staff was wonderful; friendly and helpful.

The bad stuff: our room had no water for 3 or 4 nights (with no warning or explanation given). They did provide us with a large bucket of water to help flush the toilet. The bathroom should have been redone about 20 years ago (rust and cracks in the bathtub and fixtures). The toilet seat was broken, with no attempt to fix it. The air conditioner worked, but was definitely an antique. The restaurant was overpriced for normal meals; we ate other places as much as we could. I visited this hotel in 1983 (24 years ago), and sadly, nothing much has changed (or been maintained) as best as I could tell. Even the potholes in the driveway are still there - only bigger now!

This place is definitely worth a visit for the view alone. However, I will not stay there again due to the run-down conditions of the rooms.

• Liked — the view, and the pool and lobby area
  • Disliked — rooms are terrible
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank jimbo55
Port Saint Lucie, Florida
Reviewed 10 August 2007

I first visited the Richmond Hill Inn in 1991, just for drimks on the veranda, it as so beautiful that I vowed that one day I would stay there.
Well that day came on Aug 5-7.2007.

The veranda was as I remembered it a beautiful sight to behold with a view to die for and that was it.
The room #26 was awful, very outdated all the furniture was chipped and unsightly, the white drapes were a smoke color and in serious need of a cleaning.
The door to the room was a very thin door like a bathroom door with a lock that you turn in the knob and a chain lock with the little part that you put into the hole replaced with a small bolt, I did not feel safe.
One wall by the sliding glass door covered with little ants all the time, and the air conditioner took until the next day to cool the room.

The food was mediocre at best with no Jamaican specialties on the menu.
The staff on the whole were very nice and also the owners.
However I would never return here to stay as a guest.
I am not a picky person but when I travel I like to stay in a place at least as comfortable as my own home.
There was absolutly nothing to do at this Inn, thank God it was only for two days.
Overall I love Jamaica, as I have been there over ten times , but the Richmond Hill Inn is just not my cup of tea.

dfritzz

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — The room
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled solo
4 Thank dfritzz
flint,michigan
Reviewed 8 August 2007

This was my fifth time to jamacia, A friend went with me it was her first time. We loved it THE SUMFEST WAS FUN all night go late and stay till dawn. The Richmond Hill Inn was beautiful. very relaxing. everyone was great. I FELT LIKE I WAS AT HOME. The night time veiw of the bay was very nice ., you could hear the muscial sounds of the city, which added to the peaceful louds of the night. I had 9 days of fun. I will be returning in Jan. 2008. MUCH LOVE TO THE STAFF OF RICHMOND HILL INN.

• Liked — THE ROOM
  • Disliked — walking up the hill, going down was ok. (not really aa walker)
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with friends