“Great Honeymoon”

Ranked #9 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
York
“Great Honeymoon”
Reviewed 21 April 2012

In researching our honeymoon, I read the reviews of so many resorts I was starting to drive myself crazy.

If you find yourself in that condition - rest easy you will have a great time here.

Beautiful beach and carribbean atmosphere are the overriding characterstics of the resort - you'll find almost no disagreement on this.

Some people complain and argue about the status of the food or lodging - for us we thought each was "very good" but not excellent. But regardless of what star catagory to click - we both enjoyed it.

Butlers - we got one. Bottom line on these: access to a little tiki hut that covers chairs on the beach. Can't get one without a butler and they are cool. Also - you get the best seats and seating times at restaurants. Was very cool, would get it again for a honeymoon - but wouldn't get it again for another trip.

Staff - very friendly.

Bottom line - we had a great time - would highly recommend this choice to anyone.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank FreedomFan147

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,274)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 21 April 2012

My husband and I had an awesome honeymoon at this sandals resort! I am so glad that the negative reviews did not sway our decision to stay here. I cannot believe what little tolerance people have for the tiniest problems. Yeah, our room backed up to the airport and we heard very loud airplanes every hour. To me, that's what made this resort special. I guess you could say I grew a liking to that sound. And, on our first night there we witnessed hundreds of little ant looking bugs crawling all over our room and bed... but I mean really... what do you expect when you are in a tropical environment.... there are going to be bugs. So we picked up the phone and told them we would like a different room, and that's exactly what they did. We had no problems with the new room they gave us. Also, the TV went out for about a day or so...but we didn't fly all the way to Jamaica to watch TV anyway. The problem was fixed quickly. Maybe some issues did cut out a little time from our vacation that could have been spent doing other things, but [--] happens sometimes and u just gotta go with the flow.

On a positive note... the food at this resort was fantastic. My favorite was the outdoor restaurant called Stewfish. It was so nice to be able to sit on the beach with my bare feet in the sand. In my opinion, it was the most romantic of all the restaurants. The canldlelight and sound of the waves crashing made it very special. Also, make sure to try the Jamaican meat patties at the Mariner's Grill near the beach. Get there early though, or you will miss out! If you like sweet frozen drinks, please ask for the "Purple Rain"...trust me, you will not be disappointed. Only regret I have from my vacation is not asking what was in that dang drink! Sooo good.

The shows were great, we also enjoyed the locals who were selling their crafts on the beach. You can get some very unique gifts there without even leaving the resort.

The people of Jamaica are extremely friendly and accomodating. Their way of living is truly humbling. They have such a laid back approach to everything. If I was to tell them our room caught on fire... they probably would have responded with "no problem mon". We as americans get so caught up in the hustle and bustle that we forget to enjoy the simple things in life.

GO TO JAMAICA and RELAX. Appreciate the short amount of time you have to visit there. You will not want to go home! :-) This was the best vacation I've been on... Sandals made it a memorable one that I will never forget!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
South Carolina
Reviewed 20 April 2012

Upon arrival at the resort, you would have thought we were kings and queens. Everyone was so nice and welcoming. Unfortunatly, that was one of the only times we recieved good customer service. My husband and I were on our honeymoon and are a very active couple. We had the worst experience in the world with the watersports staff. They were rude, unattentive, and all around jerks. The man who was supposed to be teaching us watersurfing was incredibly rude and walked off in the middle of our lesson. I mean literally. I was out in the ocean and he disapeared. My husband had to find someone else to swim out and bring me back to shore because I could not turn the board around. The rest of the resort staff was short and detached. If we had a problem or question, they took their time with addressing it and made it known that we were an inconvenience. The only exception was the "playmakers". They were the ones responsible for the entertainment and games and they were a blast. Good manners, great sense of humor, and just a treat to be around.

Aside from the staff, we had a wonderful time. The beach at this resort is huge and no one was crammed together. Our room was cleaned like three times a day. Our coffee and snacks were refilled every single day and we always had cold water and sodas in out fridge. We had a fantastic view of the ocean. The food was incredible and as long as you made reservations a head of time there was no problems getting into the restaurants. There was always some sort or entertainment going on, which was nice. People were always walking around offering you a drink and refilling your cup. I wish they would've told us at the time of our reservation that the swim up bar was closed, that was one of the reasons we picked that resort. And even though the hotel is right beside the airport, we didnt have any problems with loud planes keeping us up at night, and I'm a light sleeper.

I wouldn't recommend the Negril Tour though. It was a bit costly for something not that impressive. The tour guide stops by shady shacks just so you can buy overpriced merchandise (but he'll tell you its a steal). One of the stops was a place that sold coffee, my husband and I bought 4 pounds, at $18/pound, only to get back to the states to learn it was dirt. I'm serious. Literally dirt from outside. I'd just avoid this tour altogether.

We had a great time on our honeymoon. The island itself is beautiful and the resort is just lovely. They just need to work on their customer service skills.

Room Tip: Be sure to get a room facing the ocean so you can see the sunset!
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Elizabeth C
Regina, Canada
Reviewed 20 April 2012

My husband and I just got back from a week at Sandals Montego Bay and we loved it! We travel alot and to high end hotels and this place rated just as well. The staff at this hotel are amazing and you don't have to tip to get amazing service. The pools are very small but the beach is amazing and the water is so calm you don't even need a pool. All the food we had was delicious and so were the drinks. This hotel had a lot of fun games and things going on all the time which we look for on a holiday! We want to have fun and meet new people! If you want a quiet vacation I would recommend another Sandals as this one does have beach parties and the airplanes flying over head. We had no problems with the planes though they would last 10 seconds and weren't flying late at night or early morning so they really weren't a problem. The reason I see why people would complain is that they just need something to complain about; if you want to have a memorable fun vacation with a laid back feel I would highly recommend this place.

Room Tip: The rooms are small but who cares your not there to sleep! Get out and enjoy Jamaica:)
3 Thank livinlifeohya
Chehalis
Reviewed 19 April 2012

The best vacation experience my wife and I have ever had. The employees were very happy, pleasant, and helpful with anything we needed. Our butlers Omhar and Andrea were amazing. Anything we would ask of them they did the very best to make happen for us. Which made the experience trouble free, so all you had to do is enjoy yourself. Two thumbs up for sure.

Room Tip: I recommend a butler room/villa
3 Thank Tyler B
NYC
Reviewed 19 April 2012

I've been to many resorts and Islands, this was my best vacation ever. The food and the service was exceptional, best tasting food at an all inclusive resort, the beach and the rooms are great also.

1 Thank Rishi N
Staunton, VA
Reviewed 17 April 2012

We celebrated our 20th Anniversary from April 3-10, 2012. We had a lovely week, but there was room for improvement.

We really enjoy the Sandals chain due to the "couples only" policy. Of the three Sandals resorts we've stayed at or visited, Montego Bay is our least favorite. This was mainly due to the noise. The resort is literally right at the end of the airport runway. The planes taking off are extremely loud. There were a few that were so loud I was afraid they weren't going to clear the trees. Fortunately, they don't have any night flights. We did get used to it after a few days, but it was still kind of nerve wracking at times.

Our other noise problem was the music on the beach in the afternoons. Our room was on the second floor of the Palms building right behind the pavilion where the speakers are. Between the music and the Playmakers announcements, naps of any kind were impossible. Our last night on the property was a Monday, which is beach party night, and the music boomed quite late while the DJ yelled instructions for the games. We would have liked to have turned in early with but couldn't. We also overlooked the basketball court. There were several times people decided to play late at night or early in the morning, which was annoying. Even though the room is "beach front" you can't see the water's edge over the bar and restaurant buildings.

If we returned to this Sandals, we'd pay for a room in the Almond Buildings. Even though they are further from the sandy beach, they had a much better view of the water. They were also a lot further away from the noise of the beach bar and basketball court. However, they are closer to the airport.

The other reasons we didn't care for this property as much as the other two (Royal Bahamian & Royal Caribbean) are the pools are too small. It was almost impossible to get a chair unless you went down at 6am. Tip: you can use the spa pool even if you aren't using the spa. The afternoon I laid out there, I was the only one using it. You need to access it through the spa.

We also didn't feel the food was as good as the other two locations. Montego Bay doesn't, however, have much better water views from the restaurants, which is a big plus. We went down to Royal Caribbean property twice. We liked the more laid back, quiet atmosphere there better. We also felt the food was better.

Tokyo Joe's was our favorite restaurant at Montego Bay. The Bayside did a fairly good job with breakfast, but their wasn't much variety from day to day. The sticky buns were really good! They also had an amazing French buffet one evening. The Cucina Romana Restaurant had a limited breakfast selection. We enjoyed our dinner but the service wasn't the greatest. Stew Fish was okay. We had several people rave about it, so maybe we were expecting too much. Make sure you use OFF! before going or the sand fleas will feast on your ankles. We never did make it into the Oleander Room. The wait to get in was over an hour when we tried.

By far, the best dinner of the week was our private dinner on the pier. It was absolutely perfect and well worth the extra money, in our opinion. We were really glad we were able to get the pier rather than the beach locations. The pier is so much more private. The night we at at Stew Fish there was a "private" beach dinner going on not 20 feet from us. The guy proposed with all of us looking on. I felt bad that their special moment wasn't very private.

On the positive side, the staff was amazing! They certainly did a lot to make up for some of the short comings. The catamaran sunset cruise on the Red Dred was fantastic. The snorkeling boat crew also went out of their way to give us a great trip both times we went out with them. The only staff we found to be unfriendly were the ladies in the Photo Shop. The photographers were great but both times I bought photos in the shop I felt like I was bothering them. The bartenders, maids, front desk employees, water sports staff, Playmakers and wait staff were all great.

We wish Montego Bay had the private firepits scattered through out the property that the Royal Bahamian had. Sharing it with 5 or 6 other couples just wasn't the same.

Even though the resort is "all inclusive" make sure you take cash too. There were vendors on site several times throughout the week selling paintings and other local crafts, but they only accepted cash. There wasn't an ATM on the property and they wouldn't do cash advances on the room, so we had to pass up a lot of items we would have like to have purchased. You also need cash for tipping on any of the tours or cruises you take.

A trip to one of the Dolphin Coves is well worth the money! Swimming with the dolphins was amazing. But be forewarned, you'll have to remove all jewelry and leave it in your bag in the observation area. If we had known this ahead of time, we would have left it in our room safe.

Overall, we had a lovely time, but I'm not sure we'd bother returning to this property. We were, however, very impressed with the Jamaican people and would like to visit the island again.

Room Tip: Avoid the Palms buildings if possible unless you like being in the center of all the activity.
1 Thank BeachLoversLane
#11 of 63 in Montego Bay
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall
Sandals Ochi Beach Resort

Been to Sandals Montego Bay? Share your experiences!