“My weddingmoon at Sandals MoBay!”

Sandals Montego Bay
Ranked #9 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Boston, Massachusetts
“My weddingmoon at Sandals MoBay!”
Reviewed 19 October 2012

I got married this past July of 2012 at Sandals Montego Bay. This was our first time to a Sandals resort and we had decided we wanted to have a destination wedding which included myself my fiance and 6 of our closest family and friends. From the moment we arrived on property they did everything to make our stay special and were so attentive to detail. Our wedding coordinator, Venecia, was there every step to assure I had everything I could imagine wanting. Our room was in the Concierge Penthouse Honeymoon Suite. We saw the butler rooms as well, let me tell you, hands down ours had the best view of the ocean and was in a nice quiet location- highly recommend. I would suggest these rooms over the others although I do not know what it is like to have a butler so I can't speak to that. The concierge was a nice feature for planning meals for all of us even at restaurants that do not typically seat 8 together. We were lucky enough to have the best waiter in the world, Robert, at the Oleander Room for our honeymoon dinner and also at breakfast on the deck many mornings. Robert made such an impression on us and I hope Sandals sees what an amazing worker he is. The staff here will treat you just like family.

Let me speak to some of the things I was concerned about before going to MoBay. The planes- yes they fly over head through out the day and they are loud for about 15 seconds. It did not bother us or affect our stay what so ever. We were never woken up by any planes.

When you arrive at the airport there are people who will bring your bags to the buses which then take you to Sandals. These people are not employed by Sandals and will ask and expect a tip for carrying your luggage. We tipped of course as Jamaica is an extremely poor country but I just want to point that out so you are aware- workers employed by Sandals are not allowed to ask for tips.

The country is poor, when you go out to the market you will have people trying to sell you things up close and personal. This can be very uncomfortable for Americans as we aren't used to it. The Jamaican people are some of the sweetest in the world and are just trying to make a living. Be smart about where you go and do not go off alone, but do explore the nearby Market next to Sandals Carlyle, it will really give you a feel of what Jamaica is outside the hotel walls.

Speaking of, our family/friends stayed at Carlyle while we stayed at Mobay and it was absolutely perfect. Carlyle is half the price but you can take the buses to the other two near by properties and meet up at any time, they run every hour. It was a great compromise to us having some alone time and paying more since it was our wedding/honeymoon but they were also satisfied because they didn't have to pay as much. I will say there is a big difference in what is put out for food between Carlyle and the other resorts, to be expected as it is much smaller.

We did do once excursion on our honeymoon which was the doonbuggy tour. It was neat to go out and see the country side and I am glad we did it however for the price I wouldn't do it again it was probably the only thing I wasn't extremely satisfied with because it cost us about 200$ total! We did get some nice pictures though and if the price was less it would have been better!

The snorkeling on property is amazing but very choppy we had a few people sick one day and they stopped bringing people out after our tour but it was awesome to see the life in the ocean. There are many things to do on property. You will never be bored! Please message me if you have any other questions! I'd be happy to offer more feedback!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Becky212

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,267)
Ketchikan, Alaska
Reviewed 18 October 2012

The best trip ever, 14 nights and days in Oct 2012. Only rained the first day and last day and only for about 40 minute period. During the days the weather was great. The food was beyond belief, and served up in portions that were just right. Every meal was served with love and care.

A particularly pleasant surprise was the butler service, it did not matter weather you were on the beach, in room or at dinner during our stay they were there when we needed them. They were the highlight of the trip. It gave the trip a personal feeling and we would recommend it to anyone. If you go to Sandals MO Bay make sure to Ask for Ranney and Tarrick, they were the best, we loved them, top notch people. (Tell them Hi from John and Mind Lloyd – From Alaska). You guys made the trip and made it everything we wanted, thank you, See you next year..

Our room was awesome; we stayed in the Warren cottage, in a one bedroom suite. We -- nothing could beat it, the balcony overlooking the ocean was to die for. We even had our very own patio cat that hung out with us. It probably hung out because My wife Mindy kept feeding it our coffee creamer.
The bars and the bar tenders were just great, we had a good time at all. They have just about everything back there that would have been "top shelf" at home. We had one bartender who usually worked the bar at the sky dome his name was Gary. He was always ready with our drinks when we got there every time he saw us... Stop by and tell him that Double Vodka and Cranberry said Hi. We would also like to say that the playmakers were a great addition to our trip, we had a lot of fun with them.

As for activities, we did three tours, We did the Black River tour, the Dunns River / Mystic Mtn tour and the Negril Shopping tour. All Three were great in there own way, but if you could only do one of them do the duns river and mystic mountain tour. It was awesome. Also make sure to stop and ask Daulton about his Negril Tour. He was great and we learned a lot on his tour to Negril.

As my wife would say the next activity that was full of greatness is the FLOP and PLOP. Just lots of relaxation. You can beat it at this time of year. There was lost people there but not enough that it made it crowded, it was the perfect time to go.

My favorite activity was the diving. I went on 6 dives while I was there and it was time well spent. If I had not been sick the first week I would have went diving everyday of the trip. I would like to say thank you to Twelve and Doc, they were the two dive instructors that I worked with. If you want to dive they are great make sure to go look them up. I had a great time and felt safe the whole time. Top notch.

If you ever thought about going to Jamaica, make sandals your resort. It was top notch and all the people were great. I would recommend them to anyone and we will be going back in a year, we bought our trip before leaving.

Love ya guys see ya next your, ya man

Room Tip: Go for the butler service rooms, and ask for an upgrade you may be surprised at what you get. we wer...
2 Thank John4371
Ketchikan, Alaska, United States
Reviewed 18 October 2012

My husband and I just returned from our 2 week trip at Sandals Mo-bay. It was great..I highly recommend their butler service(Renay & Tarrick). They made us feel like we were home. It made it very hard to leave. Our Butlers went way above what we expected, here's an example:
we went on a all day tour (black River) and when we got back I had asked Tarrick what these vine /green grape looking things were that the locals were eating in the villages we passed and he said they were called genips, the very next day Renay brought us some from the stands, along with many other Jamaican local favorite fruits. It was great to try them all.

If you are going to Mo-Bay ask for Renay & Tarrick.. they are five star in my book.
Sandals upgraded our room as well which was so great that we booked the same room for next year and the same butlers..

The planes did not bother us at all..They actually made it fun wave good bye to them, until we had to leave. We loved the PLAYMAKERS too..made very good friends with a few of them. All of the staff from the spa to everywhere on the resort always smiling & singing.

We booked our trip next year to spend one week at Sandals Och Rios & our last week with our new found family in Mo-Bay. We have already started our count down clock. Can't wait to see you again Renay & Tarrick.. thank you for the most unforgettable memories of my Plop and flop and Helping John go do his scuba thing..lol See You next year..

3 Thank Mindy L
Regina, Canada
Reviewed 18 October 2012

My husband and I have now stayed at this resort twice. We loved the overall layout, as it has plenty of beach and a short walk for almost anyone to get to the water. Both times we took advantage of the Butler service. I am not sure that we would bother to do this again, but if you are away on a special occasion or there are several to your group, they can be very handy. Butlers will book all of your meals, trips, and almost anything else you want. They also secure you with a nice spot on the beach every morning.

I believe this is Sandals oldest resort, and in some small ways it shows, but definitely not in the service or staff. The rooms are very nice and quite comfortable. We don't spend a lot of time in our room, but if we had to it wouldn't be a hardship. We did stay in the Prime Minister's Suite a couple of nights, and were very frustrated with the tub/shower. The shower was obviously added in after, and not well thought out. (maybe they have fixed it since we were there) The best part of this suite is the huge deck you get to have all to yourself. The room is almost worth the price just for this!

We have eaten at all of the restaurants, and enjoy them all. The variety is good, and if you want a change you can go to another Sandals just down the road and try their restaurants. There is a shuttle that runs between the resorts every day, and you are welcome to go to any or all of them any time.

One of our favourite things to do is a private dinner. We usually save this for our last night, and have it on one of the piers. We have had Shelly serve us and she is absolutely wonderful. We have never been disappointed with anyone on the staff.

If you have never been to Jamaica you will be happy to know that the temperatures stay solid all the time. You don't require sweaters in the evening, as you do in Mexico. We found March to be windier than January, but otherwise still amazing. There is also a reef not far off of this beach, so the water is calm and clear to swim in, and there is snorkeling for those of you who like to get under the water and see the fish.

This resort is very near the airport. That means a few things - yes, you hear all the planes coming and going, but you are on your resort enjoying a beverage in 10 minutes on leaving the airport, and you don't either lose a good portion of your last day traveling or need to get up at the crack of dawn to leave! You are also a short ride to the Hip Strip if you want to check out the local flavour a bit.

We did some tours that I would also recommend -

Dunns River Falls, absolutely gorgeous. They want you to have some type of shoe you can wear in water for this, but you can rent water socks right at the falls.

Rafting on the Martha Brae - so serene and romantic. Go in the morning, as that is when most of the flowers are in bloom. Take a few dollars for your rafter. They actually get paid very little out of your fee, and they do all the work! They will also sell you some wonderful crafts that they do.

Horseback ride and swim - very nice and something different. Don't forget your sunscreen!

Zipline Canopy Tour - Loads of fun! There is a fair bit of uphill walking involved, so wear good shoes!

A wonderful destination. Enjoy!

Room Tip: If you can afford it (Sandals is not cheap), be sure to get at least a concierge room.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Roni-Sue
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 18 October 2012

The dive operation is a joke!! I got certified after I had back surgery,they would not let me dive unless I had a dr. note or saw the onsite Dr. They said it was PADI standards. What a joke. I inquired about other dive operations in the area, the dive mgr. replied there are none, what a lie.

My wife told me just to pay the $100 and see the on site Dr. So I did. I got to see the onsite Dr. who turned out to be an OB/GYN. He looked at my ears and throat and told me I'm ok to dive. No kidding.

The dive manager has no clue.

We spoke with the GM., Mr. Z I think, regarding the dive issues, again he said PADI sets the standards. He's wrong. I'm out a $100 to see an OB/GYN. Never again at a scandals.

As for other things at the resort. Playmakers staff, GREAT!!, Tokyo Joes, Great, and our Butlers were the best.

Visit was 8/23/12-8/30/12

Room Tip: Use the butler service
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank edward c
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Sandals Montego Bay, responded to this review, 22 October 2012
We're thrilled to read that you enjoyed Tokyo Joe's, the excellent service provided by our Butler and especially, our playmakers. Sandals Montego Bay is known as the 'entertainment capital' of the brand and we're glad we were able to live up to that name. However, we regret that your diving experience did not quite meet your expectations. We always ensure that we follow the guidelines set forth by PADI, even if it means rescheduling a diver until he/she has met the medical requirements. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused. We hope that you will afford us an opportunity to exceed your expectations in the future and offer an amazing diving experience next time. Thank you for your feedback.

Cassie C.
Pittsford, NY
Reviewed 18 October 2012

My Wife and I stayed at The Sandals Montego Bay for 10 Nights and as we said on our first visit, Sandals Montego Bay is synonymous with the word hospitality and this is still true after six visits. We have travelled extensively to many countries which includes most of the islands in the Caribbean but the Sandals Montego Bay is the only location that we have revisited and the reason for that is the friendly and helpful staff who really make you feel at home. The moment you enter the hotel lobby, it's as they say, "welcome home", and that is our start to a wonderful experience.

The close proximity to the airport is ideal for us and after you have cleared immigration and boarded the hotel bus it's just a ten minute ride to the hotel.

The hotel is set on a lovely white sand beach on well-maintained grounds surrounded by lush tropical plants and flowers, and if you are not the beach type there is always the large swimming pool and a swim-up pool at the piano bar

The rooms are clean and comfortable but the only problem I found in the room was the intermittent access to WI fi. The signal was very weak and to get access, sometimes you had to go out on the balcony. I hope this problem gets corrected.

There are seven resturants and they are all good. One of our favorite is the Tokyo Joe's, even though it's not classic Japanese cuisine, they do make a good stir fry and Cleveland and his crew compliment the dining experience with their excellent service.

The entire staff as usual provided outstanding service and it's impossible to put all the names here but I will mention a few; Alford at the welcome desk, Robert at the Oleander Room (restaurant), bar tenders Terry-Ann , Shinton and Reyon the guy the guy who kept our refrigerator
stocked with water, juice and soda.

We highly recommend Sandals Montego Bay and we have already booked our return visit for 2013.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank carloPittsford_NY
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 October 2012

Located very near the airport so a lot of noise, had to wait 2 hours for our room to be ready ,in our travel clothes as we couldn't get changed out of them , had to ask for our bar to be fully stocked and ask for our bathrobes , bathroom could do with updating , we had a Beach walkout room if we had realized how noisy the resort was we would have booked a garden view room , I had 40 mossie bites and my husband over 20 fogging was supposed to take place every day we only saw this once in our week , air conditioning was noisy and the bats in the trees outside , if you want 5 minutes peace this is not the place to go
The good points are the Spa was excellent , recommend the Hot Stone , the staff friendly the male masseus was very good watch out for the surprise surcharges and they do like to sell you products
the Orleander was the best and Robert was very nice , some friendly staff but most were miserable
Went to the Grande Spa St Lucia three years ago it was excellent compared with Montego Bay , we won't go back, be aware lively means noisy, not kid means not the small variety

2 Thank Carolyn C
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall
Sandals Ochi Beach Resort
Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Sandals Montego Bay? Share your experiences!