“Excellent short trip”

Ranked #9 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
milwaukee
“Excellent short trip”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at Sandals Montego bay for four nights late october. Had a great time! We had a first floor walk out right by Stewfish. Perfect location to the beach. The first floor walkout couldnt have been more convenient. Beach was great and we even swam into the evening as it was so nice and warm. We ate at Tokyo Joes (sushi was blah but rest was good), Stewfish (our favorite to sit on beach), and Cucina. We thought the food was all good overall. We didnt try Oleander because of the pants policy and we just didnt care to wear pants when you have other options. Breakfast buffet was good too. I called ahead to make reservations for dinners. They didnt want to do it but in the end I won. Loved the piano bar and cricketeers. Staff were great. Check in, check out...all no problem. Would go back for sure especially since its so close to the airport. We also enjoyed snorkeling. Those boys were very efficient on getting us out to snorkel and back. Loved it.
My only thing to mention as a drawback is that nobody could answer a question...and if they did, it was not to be taken as true. I accidentally called housekeeping (meant to call front desk but thought they could answer my question) and asked where the ice machine was. Housekeeping had to transfer me, she didnt know. Front desk said on the end of each building. I went there and there was no ice. Called again...she said maybe go up or down a floor. Ok I did and found a crummy cooler that i had to chizzle ice out of. No big deal but that is how all of our questions went. Nobody could answer a question unless it was their exact job. Wierd. I asked the girl working at the jerk chicken lunch place if a table was open and she shrugged. She was on the grill side not pizza so she couldnt help us or tell us who to ask. I asked the girl working watersports how much the catamaran tour was and she said i had to go to the lobby to find out. Ok really, nobody has asked that and you work in the watersports hut. It just seemed like they were not working together. I asked for water one day and the girl i asked sent me to somebody else who sent me to a third party to show me where the self serve water was....all minor but just annoying. Maybe just cultural differences and not a big deal at all but maybe something they could work on.
Yes we would love to go back and hopefully will.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sjsMilwaukee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,232)
Plainville, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

I just got home from a 6 night 7 day trip at this resort and from the minute we arrived everything was perfect. The employees are amazing and really go out of your way to make you feel welcome! By day 2 we were speaking their tounge and had made friends with almost every member on the staff. Food was spectacular! You can not go to this resort and not love every second of your trip! Highly recommend this resort and my boyfriend and I are already looking into our trip back :)

• Stayed November 2013
RIU Montego Bay, Jamaica
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2013

Every year my husband and I look forward to our annual trip to sandals, we always have a great time, this visit to Sandals Montego Bay was amazing, the moment we arrived the staff welcomed us with a wonderful island welcome. Big Al is amazing, this guy is very friendly he remembered our names and went out of his way to make sure our needs we met. Duncan the "soon come back desk" manager is awesome, she was very helpful when she booked our next years (2014) trip, The food was great. One thing I did not like is that the restaurants were all booked up or closed. So for the four days we were there we did not get a chance to eat at some of the restaurants we would have liked to try. Our room upgrade was fabulous the view was to die for, could not asked for a better view. By far the staff at this resort is the best I have seen at sandals, from the General Manager to our house keeper Cameron... Thank you for a wonderful trip

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Cassie C, Review Coordinator at Sandals Montego Bay, responded to this review, 9 November 2013
We really appreciate you posting about your wonderful stay at Sandals Montego Bay! Providing excellent customer service is very important to us and it is always our pleasure to serve. I will be sure to forward your kind comments to our General Manager and staff.

Thank you for your review. We look forward to you visiting with us next year!
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

Great resort! The beach is really nice at this property and the food in typical Sandals fashion is of a high standard.
The rooms are really nice, even though the numerous room categories can be overwhelming.
The staff is very attentive and the grounds super clean.
Bonus, the resort is so close to the airport so no long transfer. Definitely recommend this superb resort.

Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank traveller32canada
Thank you so much for posting your review of Sandals Montego Bay. I'm so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and it's good to hear that we were able to meet and exceed your expectations.

We hope that you visit us again in the future!
Memphis, Tennessee, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

My husband Jerry and I stayed at this resort and the resort was all of that and more. The concierge and the bartenders help make a wonderful trip fantastic. Our Concierge was Christopher , Christopher made sure we were comfortable from the time time we stepped into the concierge suite to check all the way to our departure where he took time to come find us on the resort to let us know our bus was leaving. Christopher made us feel like we were at home he remembered our name and always called us by name which really stands out at a resort of that magnitude. Our bartender was Maestro , Maestro also made us feel like we were at home, Maestro remembered our preference in drink selection and made sure to find us on my birthday to surprise me with a slice of cake while we were dinning. Sandals is a brand name and if they want to keep it a brand I highly recommend that they keep employees such as Christopher and Maestro who acted more like stake holders rather than just hourly employees. When you see people smiling as they work and happy to assist you it makes your trip worth while. The resort was beautiful our room was great I would recommend the ocean view honeymoon suite with concierge service. Our next trip we would love to try the butler rooms and hopefully we could have Christopher as our butler and Maestro as our personal bartender! We took time out to give accolades to these employees and resort because they helped make our trip wonderful and one we will never forget. We will be regular guest as long as we can enjoy service that we received this past trip. Also , Damien the concierge employee was very helpful and assisted us with all of our needs as well. Sorry I added so many names but once you go and meet these gentlemen you will understand why !!! Thank you from Mr&Mrs.Gardner

Room Tip: Select the ocean front honeymoon suite with concierge service. Rooms are fully stocked with alcohol...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Candice G
Thank you so much for your review of Sandals Montego Bay. I'm so happy that we were able to make your trip so amazing and one to remember! No stress, no worries and friendly faces, we love to make our guests feel at home. I will be sure to share your review with our staff. They will be so glad to hear of your kind mention.

We can't wait to welcome you back for another fantastic trip!
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

Just a word: amazing!
We loved our stay at the Sandals Montego Bay. Our butlers, Mykal and Nasha, pampered and spoiled us in all possible ways, making our vacation unforgettable.
The day we left was my birthday. Mykal and Nasha prepared a very nice hot bath and left in the room a bottle of wine, two slices of a chocolate cake and some other snacks, plus an happy birthday card! ^^

We were in one of the butler suites, few meters from the beach. Exceptional position and a wonderful suite.
Every morning we had the towels on our sunbeds, every day there was something special in the room, and every morning we had some drinks in a coldbox delivered directly at our
beach umbrella, with what we like the most.
Our butlers also brought us the lunch directly at the sunbeds, passing every now and then to check if we needed something.

Also the other resort personnel was often passing by asking if we needed something.

We were also provided with a mobile phone to call them in case of need. And here come the only issue of the vacation: one day we forgot it on the table at the buffet restaurant. I realized that a couple of minutes after leaving the restaurant, but when we come back, it was gone. The management understood that was not our fault and someone took it. As everywhere, alas, there are rotten apples, even in the best baskets... and this is surely a "best basket" ;)

The waiters and waitresses at the various restaurant were always wonderful, kind and ready to anticipate our needs (thanks Petrula ) and the food was always very good.
The place was very very calm, no shouts, everybody was talking in a low voice, the perfect situation for a relaxing vacation, that was what we were looking for.

The food in the restaurants was good. The one in the buffet restaurant could be improved a little. Sure the scrambled eggs were not the best we had ever eaten, and the bacon was too crispy for us, but there was a good variety of food and most of it was pretty good.
Of course, if you want to eat better, the four restaurants in the resort are a better choice, even if you have to book them in advance.
In our case, our butlers booked them for us on the first day, so we had all the evenings settled the first day ;)

One thing we missed was the presence of a small table at the sunbeds, where to put our things. In our opinion can be an improvement of the beach setting, but the sunbeds were large enough to be able to put the things at our side.

The Resort is situated along the airport, so every now and then there is an airplane taking off or landing. We are used to the planes, so was not a big issue for us. You just need to stop talking for a minute, time for the plane to take off. There are few planes though that depart from the airport, so is definitely not a problem.

We were looking for a relaxing vacation, no problems, no stress, just relax: well, we got exactly what we were looking for, and we got it so much that we have already booked for next year!

If you are looking for a relaxing and pampered vacation, the Sandals Resort at Montego Bay is sure a place that can give you that.

Room Tip: Go for the butler suites, not only for the service but for the location as well
5 Thank marco c
Thank you so much for your great review of Sandals Montego Bay. I'm glad that we were able to provide you with an excellent stay at our resort. We are always delighted to know that we met our standard as well as your expectations by offering amazing customer service in a fun and relaxing environment.

We can't wait for your return!
Minneapolis, MN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

Stayed 10/26 - 10/30. This was my third trip to Jamaica, but our first trip to this resort. We've been to Beaches 4 in Turks/Caicos with our kids 4 other times, but this was our first experience with Sandals as just a couple.

First let me say, we used Michael McHugh from DreamMakers Vacations and I can't recommend him/them highly enough. He is fantastic! I've booked all other trips to Beaches myself (4 in total), but this is the first time I used Michael (from a reco of another traveler, no less!) and I will never book any other way. He gets the same rates as booking directly with the resort but he is so much more responsive and easier to work with than the 1-800 resort line. In fact, he is pro-active in managing your reservation, your trip, and your experience vs just being reactive to your requests. Definitely consider using Micheal! Read-on and you will find out how he went 'above and beyond' as our agent on this trip.

PRIOR TO GOING: I had read on this site of people being frustrated at not being able to get reservations at any of the restaurants due to them being completely booked, so they were relegated to the buffet or the other walk-up/in restaurants. As a result, I reached out to Michael with a list of the restaurants from across the "Stay At One, Play At Three" Sandals resorts -- Tokyo Joe's & Cucina Romana both at Sandal's Montego Bay, Royal Thai at Sandals Royal Caribbean, and the Carlyle Room at Sandals Carlyle. He reached out to the resort and was able to secure the reservations at the appointed times we requested. Once we were on resort, we talked to at least one couple per day either in the pool, the hot tub, or at the bar who was so frustrated at not being able to get restaurant reservations for any day during their entire stay. We felt lucky to have had Michael! Also, prior going Michael proactively brought up Club MoBay service/lounge available at the Montego Bay airport. It is inexpensive and includes snacks, sandwiches, and open bar. It is very comfortable with many TVs, free wireless internet, and a comfortable environment. The price ($30 13 & older; $15 2-12 yr old) also includes fast track service through immigration & security for EITHER arrival OR departure (more for both). That rate is the same price if you book directly with the service -- no mark-up by Michael -- in fact booking directly with them is actually $35 day-of or the $30 in advance. You can book the service for your arrival, departure, or both. Here's the question -- is it worth it? If you're arriving or departing on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday, a big, emphatic YES! The airport is packed as these are the big days to arrive and depart. The lines at security and immigration are long and the gate areas are crowded. It is worth it. If you're not arriving/departing on one of those days, then I would say it is worth it for the departure of Jamaica (food, drink, free calls, free internet, etc plus escorted through expedited security), but probably not for the arrival, because once you arrive in Jamaica and clear immigration, you are taken to the the Sandals lounge with drinks and you are pretty quickly shown to your shuttle for the short trip to the resort.

THE AIRPORT ARRIVAL: After clearing immigration and customs, you'll quickly see the Sandals arrival lounge. A rep will take your name and cross reference it with the arrival log he has on clipboard. There are refreshments and nice, comfortable sofas/chairs to relax in. He will ask you to leave your bags and he may apply a sticker to them. A blue sticker means you are a returning/repeat guest. Other colors mean your have either a Club/Concierge level room or a Butler room. If you don't get a sticker, you don't fall into any of those categories. We have been to Beaches before but han't reserved a Club/Butler room so our luggage was given blue stickers. After this, you'll be asked to follow someone out to your shuttle. Per the usual, you are expected to tip the skycap/luggage guy who takes your bags to/from the shuttle/terminal both coming and going. All other tips at Sandals are not expected nor encouraged (unless you have butler -- it is expected for them). However regarding the skycaps, the walk between the terminal and shuttle both coming and going is very short. If you, don't have bags that are light and not numerous, you can easily do it yourself if you so choose -- but, if you do choose to do this, be quick and astute as the skycaps will quickly take your bags (vs in the US you need to ask them or they will ask you first) without asking. We let them take our bags and tipped them a few bucks -- we were on vacation afterall! After you're on the shuttle, its a quick ride -- no more than 7 minutes or so. The good about our shuttle was the driver offered us Red Stripe beer. We tried to pay him for it and he said it was complimentary. The not so good -- he decided to tell off-color jokes the entire time over the PA system -- "What's the difference between a rooster and a prostitute?" I wont' tell you the punch line (you can google it), but I'd say its not for the prude or ultra conservative. We weren't offended, but we thought it odd and presumptuous of him to assume the entire crowd on the bus would be okay with that type of humor as a captured audience.

THE RESORT ARRIVAL: The great part is the resort is only 10 minutes from the airport. You are able to begin enjoying your vacation so much more quickly than travelling to one of the other resorts in Ocho Rios or Negril. After getting off the shuttle, you are greeted by the Sandals staff with a wet towel to freshen up with. Then someone comes and say all people with the certain colored stickers (I think it was orange and yellow, but I can't fully recall) to follow on employee and people without stickers to follow another employee, but they made no mention of people with blue stickers, so we had ask for clarification. Blue stickers go with the "no sticker" group. My guess is this is their discreet way of separating the people who have the "added-service" check-in (concierge check-in and a lounge that has alcoholic drinks) from those who don't. Never fear -- the normal check-in is perfectly fine, if that's what you booked, as did we. You sit in a comfortable room, and its quick and efficient. Plus you practically have to walk past the lobby bar to go to the check-in room, so you can still get a cocktail to consume during the check-in process if you so desire -- we did! After filling out a form and swiping your credit card for incidentals, you're taken to your room. Luggage is delivered VERY quickly. Much faster than we've ever had at Beaches. Also, everyone we saw was taken right to their room vs being told that their room wasn't ready -- and this was with the resort at full occupancy! We were surprised. At Beaches, we've never been allowed to go straight to our room -- we've always had a 2-3 hour delay before it was ready for all rooms in our group (we usually have 3-4 rooms across our entire party).

THE ROOM: Topline is that the rooms are nice -- not phenomenal -- but very nice. For reference, we stayed in a regular room (no concierge nor butler). Most of them do appear to be recently remodeled, as we had friends staying there as well so we saw a total of 4 different rooms. 3 out of the 4 we saw had TONS of outlets. More outlets than I've ever seen in a hotel. My guess is they recently remodeled and remodeled with the knowledge that people have cell phones, iPads, laptops, etc that they want to plug in. This was a very nice touch. Air conditioning in all rooms worked very well. Bed was very comfortable and we slept extremely well. Small fridge in every room stocked with sodas, juice and water. We booked a luxury oceanview room. When we checked in, we were told we were upgraded. "Great!" we thought. However, when we got there we weren't satisfied with the room (it was near a smelly and loud location on the resort -- trash dumpster for the all the resort's trash,employee entrance, etc) and wanted to move -- even back to our original category of room. When we asked, we were asked to come back the next day to see if anything could be done. We contacted our travel agent Michael via email to enlist his help, as well, and he did reach out to the resort of follow up on our request. They accommodated a move to our originally booked category, and all was good. Anastasia from the sales office even called us later that day to ensure we were happy with the move. Her call was a nice touch. One thing to note; the rooms have windows in the bathroom that have screens on them, but you can't close the windows. The result is a big transfer of air between the outside and inside. Not a big issue, but i would recommend closing the door Overall the rooms are nice. Just try not to stay near the "operational staging area" for the resort (water/trash/employees). Yes, the airplanes do fly over during the day with one about every hour or so. They are fairly loud, but they pass quickly and we didn’t find the annoying at all as a result. As soon as dusk hits, there are tree frogs that make a lot of noise – they almost sound like birds chipring. You get used to those as well and they were not an issue.

FOOD/DRINK: We ate at Tokyo Joes (pretty good – sushi app was nothing to rave about, but the “build your own” Asian bbq was very tasty – you can ask for yours to have extra spiciness), Cucina Romana (others raved about this -- we thought it was okay -- slow service for us), Royal Thai on the other resort's private island (great atmosphere, great food -- we asked for our main course to be "Thai Hot" and we got what we asked for -- it was spicy hot and very tasty), and the Carlyle Room at the other resort (very good). Also we ate at the Oleander buffet every morning but the last. It was okay -- a smaller selection of food compared to the breakfast buffets at Beaches -- but did the job. If you sit outside of Oleander for breakfast, don't sit at a table directly under the tree. Lots of birds and I got "dropped" on twice in the same sitting. We ate most lunches at the beach grill. Excellent Jerk Chicken pizza and fantastic jerk chicken. A couple of times we ate at Cricketers. There we had the “Bouncers” which are small potato wedges with a dipping cheese sauce on the side. These were very tasty. We also had the jerk burger and the fish and chips – both were good. The last morning we had breakfast delivered to our room in honor of our anniversary. It was punctual and was still warm. It was tasty and we enjoyed it on our balcony. Drinks were good at all places, but they seem to run out of certain alcohols quite often. One bar ran out of Frangelica, one ran out of Mango Rum, etc. We actually found the drinks to be quite strong. I’ve read other people say that the think the liquors are watered down, we definitely didn’t experience that. Of course, Red Stripe Light is always a fantastic option. Note that you can order Kirin bottle beer at Tokyo Joe’s – a nice option when dining there. We did try to order a mojito a couple of times and each time we were denied with the excuse “Sorry, Mon. We don’t have any mint right now.” We soon decided the bar tenders just didn’t want to make them as we did see mint sprigs tucked in behind the bar.

ACTIVITIES: Lots to do. Tubing behind a powerboat, waterskiing, wakeboarding, sailboarding, hobie cat sailing, paddleboarding, snorkeling, glass bottom boat rides – all included. You can get resort certified to scuba for a nominal fee, and I hear that if you’re PADI certified to scuba they’ll take you on dives for free. We also played tennis. There are tennis rackets and balls you can check out from the activity desk. However, you’ll want to play either in the morning or just before dusk otherwise it is too hot.

ENTERTAINMENT: We listened to the band in the sky dome almost every evening and it was entertaining. However, one night there was a steel drum band. We expected it to by a calypso band (steel drum, keyboard, guitar, singer, etc) playing reggae, but instead it was literally two steel drum sets and one regular drum set. Accompanying this was a dance troupe (3 males, 1 female). Their dance was “odd.” It seemed they were doing cultural dances from the island, but one of the dances simulated the woman doing the dirty deed with each male in successive order. I don’t mean the stereotypical “bump and grind” – I mean straight-up, hard-core simulation. This made twerking look like something out of the Mickey Mouse Club. Yes, it was odd. We never made it to the piano bar at night – the two times we did go, there wasn’t a piano player there and the piano was covered up. A few times we played Jenga at Cricketers while having some drinks, and that was fun too.

CHECK OUT/RESORT DEPARTURE: This was pretty seamless and very easy. The evening before they put a piece of paper under our door with our checkout time and our shuttle time. We packed our bags and then called the front desk for our bags to be picked up about 40 minutes before our shuttle time. We then placed them outside our room and went to the lobby. We checked out without out wait, the bill was accurate, and it was quick and easy. From there we still had about 20 minutes until our shuttle to the airport so we went to the lobby bar and enjoyed one last cocktail. At about 10 minutes until our shuttle time, we went out front, checked in with the rep who was verifying departing passengers, identified our bags (which were then put on the shuttle), and we boarded the shuttle for the very short 10 minute ride to the airport.

AIRPORT DEPARTURE: We arrived at the airport and the bags were quickly unloaded from the shuttle. Again, a porter will take then from the shuttle to the terminal automatically (and a tip is expected). However, the walk is less than 30 yards, so if you are travelling light you can easily request that you carry them yourself. We departed on a Wed, so it wasn’t busy at all. No line at the airline counter nor security. However, I’m sure if you depart on a Fri/Sat/Sun it would be much more croweded. We used Club MoBay for departure. We paid in advance through Micheal our travel agent at Dream Makers Vacations, and it was $30/person. After checking in at the airline counter, we proceeded to the front of the security line. Just to the left of the security line is the Club MoBay counter. The expedited us through security, but it didn’t amount to much because there was not line. Again, this perk might matter more on a Sat/Sun departure. After security, we proceeded to the Club MoBay lounge and enjoyed internet, drinks, sandwiches, etc in a very nice, clean, private area prior to eventually boarding our flight. They even have a separate room for families with kids so that adults travelling without kids aren’t disturbed.

BACK HOME: Once back home, Michael from Dream Makers Vacations has already contacted us to see how everything was for us. A true professional, who does everything to let you know he’s in your court in all your aspects of trips. I recommend him very highly.

5 Thank DacMaddy