“Each visit gets better and better”

Sandals Montego Bay
Ranked #8 of 64 Hotels in Montego Bay
Reviewed 3 December 2013

We have tried other resorts in Jamaica and none compares to what you will experience at Sandals Montego Bay. The guest are treated like royalty from the time they arrive at the airport. Your first stop will be the Sandals Lounge where you will relax and enjoy refreshments while waiting for the shuttle that will transport you to the resort. After arriving to the resort Alfred does a great job greeting each guest at the entrance and escorting them to the appropriate check in lounge. He will coordinate your check in and make sure that it goes smoothly and that you are not waiting too long for a room. He has a way of making each guest that is checking in feel like they are the most important guest on the resort and that the staff has been waiting for you all day. The royal treatment does not stop there. Each staff member that we encountered went out of there way to greet us with a smile and kind words. Sandals also does a great job with paying close attention to what their guest like and dislike without asking you verbally (most times) but by observing you and they will use that information for the remainder of your trip to make sure that they are exceeding your expectations. The playmakers are great at what they do and very friendly. Although we spent a little more time with Akeene, Shelleen, Harlton and Shawna???... we feel that they all do a great job. When dinning in the Oleander, Robert is always willing to go above and beyond to make your dinning experience perfect. After one meal with him, he will remember the small details of what you like and what works for you and he will make sure that every visit with him is more special than the last. He was great with anticipating what we needed or wanted before we had the chance to ask for anything. Our housekeeper was Angelle and she did such a good job with keeping everything neat and tidy for us. She was so good with selecting the perfect time to stop by the room, she never knocked or interrupted us while we were in the room. We realized by the end of our week that we had not met her yet and requested to meet her to thank her and tell her how special she made us feel by leaving flowers on the bed and running a warm bath for us daily. I found myself looking forward to returning to the room at the end of the day just to see what special treat she had left for us that day, sometimes it was a warm bath and sometimes it would be wine chilling on ice with glasses ready for us to drink. At the end of our trip after hearing how pleased we were with her service, she stopped by to great us with a hug and to say goodbye as we had requested to meet he before we left. We always recommend Sandals to our friends and we are looking forward to our visit next year.

Room Tip: I don't think that there is a bad room on the resort but our stay in the Bay Roc Butler villa is...
3  Thank Live_Luv2Travel
Cassie C, Review Coordinator at Sandals Montego Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2013

We're so thrilled to hear of your outstanding stay at Sandals Montego Bay. Our highly trained staff work hard to ensure that our guests enjoy every minute of their precious vacation time spent with us. So it's great to hear that your stay was such an incredible experience, especially your interactions with our staff members. Thank you for your review!

We can't wait for you to return for another amazing vacation!

Reviewed 2 December 2013

I typically do not write reviews regardless of how much I enjoy or dislike something. But I could not withhold my satisfaction from our recent trip. Just returned this week from 5 days at Sandals Mobay to celebrate my wife's 40th. I am already trying to figure out when we can return. The service absolutely blows away anywhere we have been before on any continent. Thanks to the advice from previous reviews here on TA, I went ahead and upgraded to Butler level room, money well spent. Mykal and Nasha were our butlers and made the stay even more incredible.
Everyday when we returned to the room there was some sort of surprise awaiting us.. i.e. hot bubble baths, cheese and champagne, etc. with little notes written in flowers. Understand I am a trained MMA fighter so sensitivity isn't necessarily my strong point. But even I was some what swept up in the paradise and romance that was created by the entire staff and the location. While Mykal and Nasha were the ones we dealt with most directly, the entire staff from managers to maintaince was so cheerful and accommodating, I truly was in awe of what appeared to me to be a genuine desire on everyone's part to make our stay the most pleasant and memorable possible. We stayed in cottage 12 upstairs. The only thing I would change is to upgrade to downstairs, the view and beach access seemed a bit better. The beach had plenty of great chairs and our butlers always had a tikki umbrella and towels saved for us if we requested, The water and sand were perfect (they groom the sand each morning). We dove with the resort boat twice. Great reef dives right off shore. The whole water sports team was great. Our dive masters Patrick, Big D, and Fast car were extremely knowledgeable, safe, and helpful. The grounds are manicured exceptionally and I don't think I saw one piece of trash or loose cup the entire week. The resort is somewhat older compared to others we have stayed in, and even other Sandals resorts from what I understand, but we stayed in the Bayroc area which is a bit newer, and the rest of the resort was updated and in great condition. Dinning was superb at all restaurants, however the majority are seated open air, which is quite pleasant, we just didn't bring correct attire for this. A problem remedied by a few trips to the resort gift shop and some other local stores. The gift shop actually had some decent not so touristy items for better than expected prices. With the exception of the sunscreen (it will run you about 4 to 5 times what it does here in the states). We sprung for the candle light dinner on the beach an absolute must (I think it was like $170). The resort is directly adjacent to the airport runway, which is great for commute from airport, but you do have the noise from planes departing. However there are only a few each day and by the middle of the week most of the guest were joining in the tradition of waving to each plane with the staff. The fitness center was better appointed than most high end hotels, with plenty of cardio equipment, machines and even a pretty decent amount of free weights. We did not have the opportunity to use the spa, but other guest were really impressed. Whether you are looking to just relax in the sun and enjoy daily drinks or participate in the adventure tours or included water sports, you really can not go wrong with this resort. I was actually quite surprised at the diversity in age of couples as well. There was a great mix of people from their late 20's to one couple we talked with who were in their 80's and had been there for 2 months. I really can not recommend it enough. Our only problem now is deciding whether to even try a different Sandals location or keep returning to the paradise we now know and love.

7  Thank Raymond R
Cassie C, Review Coordinator at Sandals Montego Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2013

Raymond, we couldn't be happier to hear that you and your wife had such an amazing stay at Sandals Montego Bay. We love to create the feeling of being in a true luxurious paradise. After all, Jamaica is paradise and we're known for our luxury! We're ecstatic to hear that you enjoyed every moment of your stay and we thank you for your review. We hope to welcome you back in the near future!

Reviewed 2 December 2013

It's funny how you read bad reviews and never think twice about them until you experience it first hand. My husband and I just got back from our honeymoon last week. I can safely say that I will never return to another Sandals resort again as long as I live. That last reviewer was right, It's Scandals, not Sandals.

From the moment we got there it was a huge ordeal. Even though they sent us a pretty pamphlet that contained our stay info it was pretty much meaningless. We were placed in the wrong room on the first night without any warning of an "upgrade." Our itinerary said "Oceanview Luxury" on it but they stuck us in a garden view room on the first floor and called it an upgrade. I could not see the ocean. It was not an upgrade. We told the manager and all he could say was, "We'll see. We'll see." He acted very nervous. We were forced to stay in the room that did not lock and the air conditioning sounded like an airplane jet taking off (irony, I know). A lady calls us that evening and said that we would be able to change rooms the following day. Her comments were, "You should be able to see the ocean." What!? Should be able to? I felt utterly slighted. I found out that this also happened to another guest that I talked to. On top of it, we had to pay to use the phone in the room to call the 1-800 number to complain and get things worked out! $16 later...

I tried to order water at the beach bar the next day. I was literally told that there was NO WATER available! If I wanted bottled water I had to go to my room on the opposite side of the resort. There was no tap water available either. What the heck? You mean to tell me you do not have the very thing essential to life available but can have all the Appleton Rum I want? I finally found a water dispenser by Dinos but there were no cups. I had to go back to the bar to get a cup. They also didn't know how to make martinis which I found odd.

We were unable to make restaurant reservations except for the last night we were there which is complete bull. Words cannot describe the horrible food quality as well. The food was sub par and I am in NO WAY picky. I love bar food, and I can tell you I would have been happy eating Wendy's every day over that crap. How do you only have canned fruit on an island? It's an island. I'm thinking it's because they didn't want to deal with the locals so instead they import everything.

We dined at the Regency at RCarr one evening. They food was great but we were told that there was no red wine avail. He gave my husband a moscato. While dining I noticed that there were people with red wine. At the end of dinner we were presented with a check for the moscato! We were not told it was extra or that there would be a charge. We had to complain to the nighttime manager and it was taken off.

Words of advice for future travelers:
-The maids turn off the fridge every day, so make sure you turn it back on
-Make sure you get the correct boat when going snorkeling
-All cabanas are reserved, so get out there early to get a prime spot on the beach
-Bugs bite at night even though they fumigate
-Book restaurants as soon as possible.
-Try not to visit the other resorts as it's crazy trying to catch the shuttle back to MoBay
-Make sure you ask if the wine is extra money
-If you have booked and paid for a massage you will be charged tax once you get there.

And to top it off, they sent me a survey asking me how my stay was. Nice, except they sent me the wrong survey. I stayed at Montego Bay and was sent the survey for Royal Caribbean!

I do have to say that the grounds are pretty and nicely kept. The ocean is beautiful but I would never go back.

Room Tip: Doesn't matter. They'll stick you in whatever room they feel like.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

We're so sorry to read that we did not meet your expectations during your stay. This is certainly not our standard and we would like to correct the situation and make things right. We hope that you will afford us the opportunity to turn this around and offer the luxurious experience for which we are known.

Thank you for your feedback. I look forward to making contact with you regarding this matter very soon.

Reviewed 1 December 2013

This was my husband and my first trip out of canada. We had an excellent experience. The room was very comfortable and clean. The staff at our hotel was very friendly and helpful. There was one employee who stuck out to us. Her name is Doneisha Murray and it was not until our last day that we found out that Doneisha was not a paid employee but there for work experience. I really hope that Sandals gives Doneisha a job when when she is done her work experience because she is a great asset to the company.

1  Thank Ronda92013
Reviewed 1 December 2013

We normally like boutique designer hotels, however, our first time in an all inclusive resort didn't disappoint us!
Although the hotel is a bit old and the airport runway is just behind our beachfront room. I'm giving them a five stars because of their service - Every staff are so friendly and enthusiastic, it feels like we were leaving some friends behind when we checked out.
Jennifer from housekeeping is so sweet, Robert and Carline from service staff really make us feel like home (Sandals management, if you are reading this, their efforts deserved to be noted)

We very much enjoyed the few days of diving at the resort, the staff at the dive centre - Rochelle, Termi, Doc and Twelve are great fun to dive with and very professional. Twelve can certify Instructor level divers, either inexperienced or experienced divers, this is a great place to learn.

For food lovers - please continue reading:
Food quality is okay, portion is European size, not cheesecake factory size. Italian was good, i ordered the king prawn kebab and gnocchi to share. My husband ordered steaks rare, which surprisingly come out perfectly, probably because the chef is Italian?
For those considering Oleander room - service is certainly fine dining, food is okay only. Most people impluse is to order the lobster thermidor, like i did, however, it is not local and doesnt taste fresh. Go with the lamb rack will be a wiser choice.
We also tried the Thai restaurant at Royal caribbean, being Asian myself, that was probably one of our worst meal we had in ages.
Overall, i recommend sticking to the basics, steaks, grilled chicken or fish, burger, pizza, your belly will be happier!

1  Thank penpen
Reviewed 1 December 2013

We just got back from our vacation here and had a great time. It was exactly what the doctor ordered! As far as we're concerned we got our money's worth.

Right from the beginning we were taken care of: from the Sandals Lounge when we landed at the airport to our return shuttle back to the airport.

We received an upgrade to our room. Lovely view of the gardens & ocean in the Seagrapes Building. Room #1013. It was very comfortable, clean & quiet. The bathroom was a little tired, but everything worked and it was clean.

Beautiful beach with lots of chairs. My husband always went down early to get us chairs in the shade though.

He enjoyed the scuba diving and water skiing as well. We took the kayaks out one day. I went on the glass bottom boat while he was diving one morning and had my own private tour since nobody else signed up. I saw lots of coral & fish. The guides were great.

Restaurants were good. Our favourite was Cucino Romana.

We took a shuttle to the Royal Caribbean and went over to the private island. It was nice, but not many chairs. There's a small beach. We ate at the Royal Thai Restaurant, which was our least favourite.

We thought that their entertainment was good. We went to the Beach Party and a couple of other shows at their main stage.

There were lots of activities if you wanted to participate.

Only a couple of small pools, which we went in a few times. We were there for the ocean!

Service was great. My husband thought that the diving instructors were super!

Will we go back to this location? Never say never... but we like to go somewhere different each vacation, so probably not.

Next stop: Sandals Grenada!! :)

1  Thank annlizzie
Reviewed 30 November 2013

We booked sandals MBay as part of a wedding party of 16 with the others at Carlyle and Rcarr. It wasn't the greatest of starts with them taking an hour to get our cases up to our rooms - after 16 hours of travelling we really wanted to freshen up. The grande luxe room was a decent size, clean although a bit tired. We feel it's important to stress that this hotel borders on the airport - the transfer isn't 10mins from the airport - it's 10 mins around the airport - as such the noise of the planes could be quite a disturbance starting at 7.30am most days. The MB beech is the best of the 3 sandals resorts by far - clean with good facilities. The pools in all resorts are a decent size with good facilities. The food in the restaurants was generally pretty good - these have to be booked in advance as there is limited availability. We were disappointed with the lack of effort when it came to trying to book for the group considering how much we were spending. Entertainment at MB was diabolical - pre school standard!! RC was better for entertainment. Service was 50/50 unless you tip - forget the tips all inclusive rhetoric - certainly not 5 star attention. In summary we did feel the MB resort is tired with mediocre service - RC was better. We didn't feel it was value for money and wouldn't return.

Room Tip: Consider a room in the royal Caribbean or secrets if you must holiday in the Montego Bay Area
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dale A

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. We strive to keep the highest standard of quality and service and we deeply regret if we did not quite live up to your expectations.

We are grateful for all feedback, as it allows us the opportunity to identify our strengths and weaknesses. Therefore, your comments have been passed on to the General Manager for immediate evaluation and action as needed.

Once again, thank you for your comments. We hope that you will afford us a chance to make things right during a stay that exceeds your expectations in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Montego Bay
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
#3 of 6 in Rose Hall
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
Sandals Ochi Beach Resort

Been to Sandals Montego Bay? Share your experiences!