“Wonderful Vacation!!!!”

Sandals Montego Bay
Ranked #8 of 64 Hotels in Montego Bay
Reviewed 13 December 2013

We were married on 12/3/13. The wedding staff was AMAZING. Chantelle was the best wedding planner a girl could ask for. She was so attentive and loving. We truly felt like her main priority. The wedding itself was beautiful.. perfect really. Roderick took the most amazing pictures. We originally were only going to purchase 24 images, but after viewing bought a lot more. He has a talent! Everyone at home says that the images are breathtaking. Olivia reviewed the pictures with us and was so helpful on the different packages we could purchase. She was very knowledgeable and patient with us. We couldn't of asked for a better wedding team.

We must say though the resort itself was BEAUTIFUL and WONDERFUL... the staff would be the reason we return to Sandals Montego Bay over any other resort. They made us feel like family. Beautiful people inside and out. All of them work so hard to make the guests satisfied. We have made long lasting friendships and I cant wait to book another vacation to receive that same hospitality. ALL of the employees were really great... everyone always saying hi and extremely friendly.. but I am going to list a few who really went above and beyond for us. Here goes the list of excellent employees that Sandals Montego Bay has (look for them!!!!) : Shannon, Shannoy, Ronroy, Romain, Omario, Olivia, Roderick, Chantelle ,Doneisha, Camore . Every single person listed has a special place in our heart and we are so grateful they gave us such a wonderful experience.

Go get a massage!!! You won't be disappointed!!!! Husband went scuba diving and LOVED it.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Cassie C, Review Coordinator at Sandals Montego Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2013

We're so happy to read that you had such a wonderful wedding with us at Sandals Montego Bay. I know that this was a very special occasion in your lives and we're honored to have had the chance to share it with you. We strive to create romantic and memorable experiences for our guests and I'm so glad we were able to achieve that goal during your stay.

Thank you for your review. We hope to welcome you back next year for an anniversary to remember!

Reviewed 12 December 2013

Sandals standard is certainly at the forefront here in Mobay. Great service and food our room was in the Sea Grapes building which is very close to the piano bar, swim up bar and pool. Away from the busy main beach area a short walk and you arrive at the main pavilion where most of the restaurants are located. 3 require reservations but only one requires resort evening attire (trousers and a shirt with a collar) all others are resort casual which is nice. We enjoyed our stay at Sandals Mobay and being so close to the airport is a big plus with us. Thanks Sandals for the special time we had celebrating our 25th anniversary at your property.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We're thrilled to hear that you were able to enjoy such an amazing anniversary stay. Our team very hard to ensure that we offer the best service possible to our guests and it's great that we were able to make your experience a memorable one.

We can't wait to welcome you back again!

Reviewed 10 December 2013

Where to start. I guess, I found a flaw in the trip advisor boards and their giving of awards. With such resorts threatening legal action for not removing bad reviews from any feedback websites.
Well I’m sorry I will not be bullied into removing my honest opinion, and experience with this resort.

“Come experience the very pinnacle of luxury all-inclusive excellence with Sandals' Caribbean vacations”

Now I have read many statements about this resort not wanting to be rated as they feel they are better than any other resort and offer much more than what a 5 star Resort gives.

Basically this reads that they think they are better because they include limited motorized sports and “Unlimited scuba diving” in their “All Inclusive” price.

Let’s look at the fine print of what this really means when you arrive at the resort. They have set times of when each of these motorized activities can be accessed and it’s on a booking system. So you don’t get down there before 9 – 10 am forget about getting into activities.

Unlimited scuba = they have two sessions a day with one tank dive each session. You cannot dive on the day you arrive or the day you depart (regardless if you are not flying and just moving resorts).

Now they also mention the word luxury in their statement above. I did not find anything that half resembled luxury at all, unless you were willing to pay additional for it.
Want room service – Sure that will be extra.

Want a nice bed by the beach – Sure that will be extra, you can have it by the ½ day or full day and includes drinks and lunch or drinks, lunch and dinner if you have it all day. But I thought it was all inclusive?

Want internet – Sure that’s extra.

“Sandals' very first resort is a True Original. Spanning the best private beach in Montego Bay, this playful and romantic Jamaica resort is where the fun never ends and the party never stops...until you do. The casual island mood will surround and relax you.”

This part is partially true the beach was amazing but I don’t think jumbo jets flying over every 10 minutes is very private romantic or relaxing. Whilst on that point. Their comments that they are close to the airport is an understatement. The Resort is right across a small two lane road from the airport. Collecting tyre debris from the street out front should be an activity.

So there is no relaxing to be had or sleep for that matter, no matter what part of the resort you are in, it’s all part of the airport experience, I don’t think they know the meaning of insulation.
“The upscale setting will impress you”

The most appropriate dictionary. Com definition of Upscale - luxurious, costly, or elegant.
The resort fits the costly tag. You really are only paying to think you can access the motorised amenities as I would not class this resort as luxurious or elegant. I see this resort more fitting in with the 3 star collections of hotel, but then even the 3 star include internet, room service and most are not part of an airport.

“Sandals Montego Bay's warm and inviting hospitality--where the service is incomparable”
The service was really hit and miss, some staff were amazing and others just really didn’t want to be there, it was such a chore to be doing anything that is in their job description.

Some examples – Advised waitress of allergies and rather than asking me to select another dish as the one I had chosen contained the allergens, she just selected something for me that she thought I might like. Funnily enough not everyone likes raw tuna.

Ordered room service and again advised of allergy – room service arrived after what seemed like they had freshly harvested the eggs, with a note about the allergy written on it, only to find that not only had the dish been garnished in the allergen but it was all through the dish.
Did I mention that the allergy is life threatening, not just a little itchy and hives.

Paid extra to have the butler/ club level access, and I ended up on the phone for over ½ an hour trying to get the internet access sorted out as the access code was not working properly.

What else have we not looked at? Ahh their website that has a countdown clock indicating that they are having a sale that is 65% off. Making the general person who has not been to this resort believe that what they are reading about the resort justified the original price of the cheapest room being US$542 per person per night.

Now the room that was recommended for us and we purchased was the Oceanfront Honeymoon Club Level Veranda Room – WP which is US $774 PP/PN full price, even the sale price of US $542 per night is not justified.

The view of the ocean was really nice and was an actual ocean front, not like some resorts where if you twist your neck at an odd angle you can just see the ocean.

The bed was nice for tall people as they were extra high, so people under 5’ 11” will have to take a running jump to get on the bed. The bed linen was stained and worn.

Over all the room was quite warn, tired and could use a deep clean. There was dust and dirt in all the corners, ledges and cills. There were aged water stains all around the sink.

The included mini bar of 4 bottles of different liqueur, are old, dusty and never touched. They are all also opened with pourers inserted, so that flys and bugs can get in there to die.

There are no bottle openers for the red wine, even after 2 phone calls to get one brought up.
Now they call this the honeymoon suite with a whirlpool. I don’t know about you but if I book a honeymoon suite with a whirlpool I expect that it be big enough to fit more than two 5 year old kids in it. Not very romantic at all, or relaxing when your knees are up under your chin whilst trying to have a soak.

I also understand why you get so many extra towels, because the bathroom leaks like you have poured a bucket of water all over the floor, so the extra towels made a good dam to contain the water to just the bathroom.

The curtains in the bedroom had a tonne of moth holes in them, so if you did manage to fall asleep in between flights you were up with the sun through the holes.

There was also a major stuff up on their end, which I won’t go into the specifics of, but suffice to say that many phone calls were had before booking this resort to ensure the requirements before booking and arriving, only to get a different story when we are arrived and the resort try to land us with fees associated with their change of information. Now trying to clear this up with their management team saw us leave early as they were not willing to pay the fees required because of their staffs miss information. Which sees us out of pocket about US $6000.

So here is hoping that someone heeds my advice, saves themselves the money and stays at another resort that is willing to put it on the line and be rated. A better time can be had in Mexico or another Caribbean island with much better client service skills.

I hope other people are willing to put up more honest reviews of this hotel regardless of their threats of legal action for telling people the truth about their resorts.

Room Tip: choose somewhere else if you ever like to sleep
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
16  Thank CanberraMujer

We always strive to offer amazing vacation experiences and anything less than perfect calls for improvement on our part. It seems we did not meet your expectations in a few areas of our service. We want to ensure that our future guests do not share the same experience. Therefore, we thank you for your feedback and will make the necessary changes to these areas.

Reviewed 9 December 2013

The staff at Sandals Montego Bay make you feel like a friend. Everyone at every level says good morning and asks how you are with a smile. We have visited other resorts and found Sandals to be the most fun and friendly. The resort is terrific because of the large size and variety of pools, bars, and restaurants. We spent some time nearly every evening in the Cricketer because the atmosphere was fun and we loved seeing Shannay-nay and Jethro who worked hard but took the time to make us feel like friends. The playmakers made the afternoons fun with pool games and beach volleyball - thanks to Michael and all the playmakers for the entertainment! We ate lunch at Dino's everyday and looked forward to seeing Judian who made sure we had everything we needed. We ate at Cucina Romana the last evening - it was so good we wish we had gone sooner and more often. Thanks to our waiter Romaine for making us feel special! Afternoons were spent at the piano bar and pool - the waiters there give quick service with a smile.
The food was delicious in every restaurant, our room was very nice and clean, the drinks were all awesome (loved the variety of mixed drinks and brands of liquor), and the beach and grounds were kept clean and organized by a hard working staff. The gym was also the best one I have used at a resort.
We went with a group of 8 - some first timers and some returnees. We all agree we are anxious to go back!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Julie M
Cassie C, Review Coordinator at Sandals Montego Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2013

Thank you for your review, Julie. We're so happy that you and your party had a wonderful time at Sandals Montego Bay. Our staff works very hard to ensure that the expectations of our guests are met and exceeded. They will be so glad to see that this was the case during your stay. We can't wait to have you back in the future!

Reviewed 6 December 2013

When my fiance and I were looking for a place to have our destination wedding, we did quite a bit of research, but nothing could have prepared us for what we encountered. The resort is only 5 minutes from the airport, which is very convenient. However, it also means that there is the possibility of a plane taking off (very loudly) every 15 minutes. When we first arrived, we wondered why no one put that information in a review, but we quickly found out… The staff has a really cute way of making it enjoyable, AND the resort is so amazing that you soon don't care about the planes anymore. We were first greeted by Marsha (LOVE her) who introduced us to one of our two butlers, Shoval, and he gave us the resort tour and showed us to our room, which was beautifully decorated and in a prime spot on the beach with a breathtaking ocean view. We HIGHLY recommend getting a butler suite if you can… it REALLY makes you feel pamplered. Our wedding coordinator, Venecia, was AWESOME. She was sweet, considerate, and made not only a memorable rehearsal dinner on the beach for our group, but also made (with the help of our other butler, Shaniel) a very special wedding night dinner happen for our whole party happen. I cannot explain how grateful we were to the catering staff, the wedding staff, and our butlers for making that happen. It was really special. While we were there, we had the absolute pleasure to interact with the most involved, caring, fun staff we have ever encountered at a resort… or much of anywhere, to be honest. Our butlers (Shaniel and Shoval)really went the extra mile… well, extra 100 miles, to make our whole party feel cared for and taken care of. This trip would not have been the same without them. My parents also had a butler suite, and their butlers, Andrea and Denesha, also took a great deal of care to check in with us, as well. A huge THANK YOU to Kemon, Anjay, Keylan, Shevard, Shauna Kay, Shaniel, Shoval, Andrea, Denesha, Venecia, Marsha, Charlotte, and the MANY other staff members who made our trip unforgettable. We really felt welcomed like family, and we cannot WAIT to go back. The swim up bar is awesome, the restaurants are stellar, and the beach, view, and resort on the whole is absolutely gorgeous, but we really felt like we were leaving friends behind, and that made SUCH a difference. We will be back.
Ok, we had ONE negative. The photo and video shop was VERY disappointing. We got our wedding photos and video and I CRIED. And not in a good way. Don't rely on them for your vacation photos. Take a waterproof camera and just ask other friendly couples or the staff to take pics for you.

Room Tip: Get a butler suite. It's a bit more money, but SOOOOO worth it.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank AmyRife

Amy, thank you for your review of Sandals Montego Bay. We're thrilled to hear that you had a great stay with us and a beautiful wedding. However, we're disappointed to find out that you were not pleased with your wedding photos. Please accept our apologies for your photos not meeting your expectations. If you are still concerned with your photos, I encourage you to contact our Customer Service Team at customerservice@grp.sandals.com. They would be happy to speak with you and hopefully, come up with a satisfying resolution.

We hope that this has not changed your outlook of our resort and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future for another incredible stay.

Reviewed 6 December 2013

I'm literally in the airport awaiting my return home but I felt the need to write this review. This was our third trip to this resort and every trip is better than the last. The staff are truly what make this trip memorable! You can find a pretty beach and nice hotel many places but the people that you meet at Sandals MoBay are unforgettable and what I will miss the most. They become your friends during your short stay and are the most honest, fun and genuine individuals. We had the pleasure to get to know Mickel, Michael (007) and Akene and spend our week with them. They work so hard and make your experience their priority and I hope I am able to keep in touch and see them when we come back!!!

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Tiffany K

Thank you, Tiffany, for your great review! We're so glad that you had another amazing stay at Sandals Montego Bay. It was an honor hosting you again and we can't wait for your return!

Reviewed 3 December 2013

We have tried other resorts in Jamaica and none compares to what you will experience at Sandals Montego Bay. The guest are treated like royalty from the time they arrive at the airport. Your first stop will be the Sandals Lounge where you will relax and enjoy refreshments while waiting for the shuttle that will transport you to the resort. After arriving to the resort Alfred does a great job greeting each guest at the entrance and escorting them to the appropriate check in lounge. He will coordinate your check in and make sure that it goes smoothly and that you are not waiting too long for a room. He has a way of making each guest that is checking in feel like they are the most important guest on the resort and that the staff has been waiting for you all day. The royal treatment does not stop there. Each staff member that we encountered went out of there way to greet us with a smile and kind words. Sandals also does a great job with paying close attention to what their guest like and dislike without asking you verbally (most times) but by observing you and they will use that information for the remainder of your trip to make sure that they are exceeding your expectations. The playmakers are great at what they do and very friendly. Although we spent a little more time with Akeene, Shelleen, Harlton and Shawna???... we feel that they all do a great job. When dinning in the Oleander, Robert is always willing to go above and beyond to make your dinning experience perfect. After one meal with him, he will remember the small details of what you like and what works for you and he will make sure that every visit with him is more special than the last. He was great with anticipating what we needed or wanted before we had the chance to ask for anything. Our housekeeper was Angelle and she did such a good job with keeping everything neat and tidy for us. She was so good with selecting the perfect time to stop by the room, she never knocked or interrupted us while we were in the room. We realized by the end of our week that we had not met her yet and requested to meet her to thank her and tell her how special she made us feel by leaving flowers on the bed and running a warm bath for us daily. I found myself looking forward to returning to the room at the end of the day just to see what special treat she had left for us that day, sometimes it was a warm bath and sometimes it would be wine chilling on ice with glasses ready for us to drink. At the end of our trip after hearing how pleased we were with her service, she stopped by to great us with a hug and to say goodbye as we had requested to meet he before we left. We always recommend Sandals to our friends and we are looking forward to our visit next year.

Room Tip: I don't think that there is a bad room on the resort but our stay in the Bay Roc Butler villa is...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Live_Luv2Travel
Cassie C, Review Coordinator at Sandals Montego Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2013

We're so thrilled to hear of your outstanding stay at Sandals Montego Bay. Our highly trained staff work hard to ensure that our guests enjoy every minute of their precious vacation time spent with us. So it's great to hear that your stay was such an incredible experience, especially your interactions with our staff members. Thank you for your review!

We can't wait for you to return for another amazing vacation!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Montego Bay
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
#3 of 6 in Rose Hall
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
Sandals Ochi Beach Resort

Been to Sandals Montego Bay? Share your experiences!