“Excellent Staff and Food”

Sandals Montego Bay
Ranked #9 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
San Antonio, Texas
“Excellent Staff and Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014

we are multiple return Sandals customers and first time visitors to Sandals Montego Bay. I read the reviews before staying and had a 50/50 expectation. While these aren't the newest Sandals facilities, it doesn't really matter as the staff and food selection and quality more than make up for it. This is the best staff at any of the previous Sandals we've stayed at and would definitely recommend this property and will return ourselves. The Playmakers are off the chart entertaining, engaging and all around personable. I engaged in more games and activities than I have at all my previous Sandals stays combined. Michael, Hartlon, Ruth Ann and Shaleena were over the top. I felt like I had know them for years and was emotional when I left the resort. They took such great care of my family. The front desk upgraded our room to Sandals Club for free and Big Al took care of getting us to our rooms quickly. The bar staff was outstanding and Ron Roy made great efforts to take good care of us each evening. Really I can't say enough good things about Sandals Montego Bay...go, stay, play and have fun, you won't regret it.

Room Tip: There were no bad rooms so anything you get is fine.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Bryan_TerriG
Cassie C, Review Coordinator at Sandals Montego Bay, responded to this review, 18 January 2014
Sounds like you had an excellent stay at Sandals Montego Bay! We're so glad to hear of how much you enjoyed your vacation spent at our resort. Thank you so much for your review. Our staff will be more than thrilled to hear the kind mention.

We all look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,229)
Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014

My wife n I stayed at this resort for our honeymoon. We reserved a walkout beachfront room. When we checked in we were given a walkout ocean view room. A little disappointed. We also were supposed to have a honeymoon package with Rose pedals and champagne on our bed which we never received. Also the airplanes flying over were an annoyance but that's something we feel our travel agent should have informed us of. The rooms were also very outdated and our room had a big stain next to the bed and looked like it was where a previous guest might have gotten sick.

The people were unbelievable. Some of the most genuinely friendly people you could meet. The staff did a great job getting everyone involved in activities. The staff is not allowed to accept tips but often times they are expecting one.

The food was great. Everything from the lobster to the jerk chicken. The beach was clean and there is a decent amount to do at the beach.

We did feel the drinks were watered down and the bar hours were not convenient. Open late closed early.

Overall our expectations were higher then what were met. With the issues with our room, the airplanes,and bar hours. I think my wife n I would be hesitant to stay at this resort again. We definitely didn't feel we got The most bang for our buck.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Chase-N-Tail
Telford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014

Rob & Anna, We did have a very good time, Staff were amazing, I don’t think I have enjoyed myself so much, played most of the games with the Playmakers, Food excellent, returning guest night was brilliant and entertaining, met some wonderful people, Kelly and Ron, Kim and Paul, it was lovely to see Mr Gerald Christ again, Marc was a great help to us, Duncan from soon come back desk, Tevin the waiter even came out in the pouring rain to give us a drink in the Jacuzzi, Kenneth what a great man/bartender, Kaudin Salmon from Tokyo Joes should be a Butler, she is courteous, well spoken and very professional she will go far with Sandals if they spot her. Michael is nuts, fantastic, funny, and gets everyone up doing things he has an infectious nature, perfect for the job as playmaker. This has been my best holiday ever, cannot wait to go back. thank you

Room Tip: You have to see it to belive it, its an amazing place thanks to all the staff
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PepsiTelford
East Moline, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

Went to this resort for a friends wedding. I will say that the food was way better than I expected. The staff were welcoming and helpful. The drinks were good, just make sure you ask for the "good" stuff if you want the "upper shelf" goods. I was a little disappointed that you had to make reservations for the decent restaurants and they were booked full when we were there, only got to try two :(. Although we were literally 10 min away from the airport, which was a nice idea....however you heard EVERY plane :( the wedding ceremony literally was paused to wait for a large plane to fly overhead. Recommend this place if you want to get away and be spoiled but not overwhelmed! ps the spa was worth every penny!

Room Tip: Ocean side room with free wifi...but dont let them take away your room service! we had wifi even on...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank TravelRN2011
Wapello, Iowa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

I'm a bride who recently stayed at Sandals Montego Bay, bringing 38 guests to the resort to celebrate my wedding. Here is my review.

We never received A BUBBLY WELCOME: A bottle of chilled sparkling wine elegantly arranged in your room upon arrival to toast your future.

I had a balance of 405 dollars of wedding credit that was never used. I asked to use it for the bubbly bites gourmet celebration, but no one knew what that was. It was to late to book the catamarn cruise or make a video or rent a cabana. I had also planned to use it on a soon come back stay, but decided not to as I no longer had the desire to return.

I called my sister to tell her when dinner reservations were for the night and she said she called for hair conditioner and they were gonna deliver it to her room within the next 30 minutes. I called her an hour later saying I was ready and we could meet for drinks at bar before dinner reservations. She said no one ever brought hair conditioner. So, I brought her mine.

The day we departed a worker approached me stating my sand from sand ceremony, cake and beach bag were at main desk for me to pick up. I believed her. Upon departing I went to pick it up, the only thing there was a beach bag (gift from sandals). Needless to say I chose to miss my bus to airport waiting for my things. I spoke with 5 different people including a CEO during this time, because I was getting the run around on where my things were and if anyone was even looking. Finally I made the decision to leave the things and take a cab to airport, as no one was telling me anything and seemed to not care.

The group with me wanted to play pool volleyball. We waited around the main pool the time it was to take place, but nothing ever happened. We found a playmaker and asked if we could play. He was playing cards privately with a non sandals lady, stating they already played and we could not. What a lie we were there. We took a bus to royal carribean where playmaker Kermit was fabulous and allowed us to play pool volleyball.

The day of my wedding I was informed my wedding flowers did not arrive. They gave me other options. I ended up liking the flowers better, so It worked out.

Prior to our wedding we were asked to choose a special cocktail for our wedding dinner recepetion. During the reception we ordered the cocktail, but no one knew what we were talking about. They finally stated it was to special, they did not have the ingredients to make it.

As bride and groom we were told we would get a room upgrade, this did not happen. People with us, who had never been to a sandals had better rooms. Bath tubs with jets, bigger rooms, ground level, etc.

My parents have been to multiple sandals and were also, in a room like us. My dad just had a hip replacement and had to walk stairs as there room was on second story. My mother explained they had been to sandals before and asked for an upgrade or just a ground level room, but was told they could not do that.

On my wedding day I was sitting at beach bar, talking to my bridesmaid telling her when her hair appt. was and where to meet to get ready. A playmaker was going around getting people to attend his reggage dance lesson. He got in my face with his microphone and told me to shuttup he was the man of the hour, what you think I'm rude, etc. I have no idea why, I did nothing to him, I just sat there and took it quitely feeling embarrased and unsure why I was singled out.

We ate breakfast at bayside, and at least 2 mornings we were finished with our breakfast before we ever got the beverage we asked for. I also heard this complaint from other guests from my party.

Petria the waitress we had at Tokyo Jos was awesome.

I was suppose to speak with a wedding planner in Nov. from sandals, but never heard from one. I was just calling the bridal hotline asking questions, because I did not know what to do. Finally they figured out that I had slipped through the cracks and less than 30 days before my wedding I spoke with a wedding planner. Of course things should have been finalized long before, so the pressure was on to make decisions. I had 20 rooms booked, but they only had 19 rooms. That one room made a big difference on what free things were included. It was a nightmare to get any answers. It took contacting multiple people.

The piano bar was suppose to have a bar invasion according the daily schedule of events. So, we told everyone to meet there. When we got there nothing was going on. We asked the bartender if they were having the bar invasion, he did not know what we were talking about.

With the number of guests booked for my wedding I qualified for a free maincure/pedicure. They asked what I wanted when I got to the spa. I did a french mainucre/pedicure. Needless to say it was not free at the end I was charged 40 dollars. I was told after the fact if I did a solid color it would have been free.

I dropped part of an ice cream cone in the the bathroom in our room. It took 2 days before the cleaning service cleaned it.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
16 Thank Eden H
We're so sorry to hear that you had this experience at our resort. It is our highest priority that our guests have amazing experiences with us and anything less than stellar calls for improvement on our part.

Thank you for your feedback. We look forward to making contact with you regarding this matter very soon. We hope that you will afford us the opportunity to turn this around and showcase the luxurious experience for which we are known during a future visit.
Provost, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

We are Diamond members and as such consider ourselves loyal Sandals guests but not 'Rose Colored Glasses' guests either. First, if you read any review about airplanes we suggest you please disregard. Anyone who has not read any of 10 000 plus reviews mentioning the airport next door, still arrives as a guest and then complains about jet noise should have done their homework and stayed elsewhere.
Lots of positives. Staff were very friendly and accommodating. By far the best beach service of all the Sandals we have visited - 108 nights. This resort offers something for everyone. You want quiet - either end of the beach and resort. Activities were plenty. We are in our 50's/60's and preferred to simply relax each and every day. There were lots of loungers but you had to get up early to get the 'prime' spots. Still lots of great areas to sun and relax. We spent time in every part of the resort and each had its own ambience and enjoyment.
Food was great. We loved the Oleander and Cuccina the best. Beach fare was great for those mid day snacks when we simply were too lazy to go to a restaurant. New Year's Eve was a lot of fun and the food was fantastic. Found a quiet Martini Bar on the pier with two tables on the beach and very much enjoyed the quiet and talks with those others seeking a few moments of quiet and a warm Jamaican night on the beach.
We discovered the island at the Royal Caribbean - a five minute free shuttle away - and when we return again, we will probably book at Mo Bay but spend more days on the island. What a treasure!
We stayed in the Almond Building concierge - 207. We will book this same building next time as it is far enough away from the noise and activities but close enough to the dining and bars. We had what we feel is the best view. We would ask to be upgraded to the third floor - 307 or higher numbers as the lower ones move you closer to the main bar and activities. Third floor rooms are bigger with larger balconies as well. I believe these are called 'Veranda' rooms.
These are not complaints but more disappointments. The room we were in was the smallest of any Sandals we have visited and as Diamond members were never offered an upgrade. We do realize this was high season but still we feel as very loyal guests this should have been automatic as others we met did get upgrades. Thank you to Julianne? at the front desk - guest services - for trying her best to make this right. She did find a room 3/4 of the way into our stay but the balcony faced a parking lot and so we declined. Room cleaning was great but very inconsistent on timing. 9:00 a.m. or 5:00 p.m. Pick one. Again, doable but could be an issue for some. No fireworks on New Year's. First Sandals we have been at that had none. Certainly did not take away from the evening but it would have added.
We truly enjoy relaxing and spending our days in bathing suits. At night though when we booked reserve dining at 'white glove' restaurants with formal dresswear we expected all guests and staff to adhere to the policy. It was somewhat disappointing then when cut off jeans, flip flops and shorts were allowed in restaurants with resort formal dress codes. Maybe we are being fussy but dressing up at night and enjoying a great meal as such with those around us makes it even more special - for us anyway. We hope Sandals doesn't lose this touch. To us it adds to the five star quality.
Return Guest meal was fabulous. Dining at Oleander was two hours and spectacular. The service was impeccable, the meal amazing and the atmosphere perfect. Yes it is dark so take your glasses and don't be afraid to ask your waiter for a light source. La Cuccina was equally as enjoyable. The manager was probably one of the best we have ever met at ANY restaurant. He expected and got perfection from his staff who were obviously as committed to service as he is.
As we indicated above, there were so many that made this stay so enjoyable and to everyone we thank you. There were a couple who we actually remember the names and would like to mention them: Julianne - Guest Services; Anne in the Giftshop who was so funny and helpful; Duncan at Return Guest - we are booked next for Antigua; Andrew at the Beach Bar - try his newly named Andrew's Anxiety Attack!; Andre at La Cuccina for his excellent pumpkin soup and taking the time to give us the recipe; the spa was amazing and we apologize for not remembering the names of our massage therapists but two of the best we have ever had; to the butler - name? - we met at the spa - hilarious - should have charged the other room!: finally to Keylon, the best bartender on the resort. Thanks for adding that special touch to our vacation. Keylon you can still reach us through Sandals. Great time. Great rest. Go!!!!
The Scinski's

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sinman
Montgomery, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

Been here 10 times. This past month our niece honeymooned there on our recommendation. The staff treated them like family so they are now hooked. Best vacation resort in the world. Best beach. Best bars. Best staff

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends