“BEWARE!!!!”

Ranked #9 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
PGH
“BEWARE!!!!”
Reviewed 4 April 2014 via mobile

Lies lies lies!!! Worst resort ever!! This was our 3rd sandals and last! We were talked into getting the sandals credit card and booking a trip at the soon come back and we were told we would get enough points to get $200 off. Lies!!! I am so livid that I am telling everyone about this! We planned a trip for us and 2 other couple to go a different sandals in a couple months but we are all canceling and trying somewhere new. This resort was horrible , you couldn't get in to any restaurants, even though they were clearly not busy, the staff was rude. We paid for internet ( business reasons) an it was always down. Bar tenders any addressed you if you tipped them. That is not the sandals way. I could go on but I'm just done with place an I am going to let everyone know!!!!

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
10 Thank Stinkerbell1131
Cassie C, Review Coordinator at Sandals Montego Bay, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
We're so sorry to read that we did not meet your expectations during your stay. This is certainly not our standard and we would like to correct the situation and make things right. We hope that you will afford us the opportunity to turn this around and offer the luxurious experience for which we are known.

Thank you for your feedback. I look forward to making contact with you regarding this matter very soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,258)
Orangeville
Reviewed 3 April 2014

This was our 3rd year in a row coming to Sandals Montego Bay. This time we took my husband's parents as well. We can't say enough great things about SMB! Our concierge, Marvin, was excellent as always. Anna-Kay kept our room sparkling clean for us, and David and Damar were always on the beach to bring us our favourite drinks. My in-laws had Mykal and Nasha as their butlers and were pampered every day! We went to our daughter's wedding at Grand Pladium and couldn't wait to get back to SMB! As my husband likes to say, "A beach is a beach, and a room is a room. It's the people that make us come back again and again." My in-laws felt like a king and queen, and we were the prince and princess. The food at all the restaurants is top notch! I never have to worry that the food won't be cooked properly, as every meal is a joy at SMB. I just can't wait to go back to SMB in January! Being greeted like family and pampered like royalty! Amazing, wonderful, beautiful vacation!

Room Tip: Every room at SMB is nice. The butler rooms are really gorgeous, but I don't think there is a b...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mamabear1122
Cassie C, Review Coordinator at Sandals Montego Bay, responded to this review, 5 April 2014
Thank you so much for your wonderful review of Sandals Montego Bay. We love to read about how much we impressed our guests, especially our return guests as you are already familiar with the high Sandals standard. We're glad that we're still able to exceed your expectations! This is truly encouraging feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you home very soon!
Whittier, California
Reviewed 2 April 2014

I don't even know where to start. I absolutely loved everything about this resort. The beach is so clean and the grounds are beautifully landscaped. The people are just so friendly and extremely welcoming. I was shocked at how the staff remembered us and we were personally greeted quite often. We really connected with Roman at the piano bar, he was just so nice! My husband and I will definitely be back one day!

2 Thank LizHart88
We're so happy to read that you had such an amazing vacation at Sandals Montego Bay. We always want to exceed the expectations of our guests and ensure that they are enjoying themselves during their stay. We look forward to your return in the near future.

Happy Travels!
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 2 April 2014

this was a very nice all inclusive resort. Had no one under 21.
All of this was great and met our expectations for the stay. Music and
adventure Tours were good... we enjoyed the river kayak and zip line.
next time we are doing the ultima zip!!! wife loved the thrills.
and the sunset catamaran was amazing with the dolphins coming
along side the boat and jumping.... we totally enjoyed ourselves.....
could run on with this so will stop. we got the value for our trip.
And yes coming back!

Room Tip: ocean view rooms may not be a beach front view... but still is nice to see view from on top note th...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your great review of Sandals Montego Bay. We're delighted to read that you had such a wonderful stay with us. We always strive to provide the best in customer service, luxury and exciting activities. We're happy we were able to exceed your expectations during your visit and hope to welcome you back soon!

Happy Travels!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Just returned from a wonderful 12 day holiday at SMB. On arrival, we were greeted by Fabian, who provided us with most welcome chilled wet face towels. He took care of our luggage, checked us in, in the a/c lounge, got us a couple of welcome G & Ts and then showed us to our room. The greeting was first class, friendly and very professional – well done Fabian. To complete our welcome, we were shown to an upgraded room in the Seagrapes building, which was a very nice surprise.

We were very pleased with the room, the furnishings and the consumables – all very nice. The room was kept clean to a high standard and always restocked. Unfortunately, we never really got to meet our maid in person, as we were always out and the room had been cleaned by our return. It might be a good idea if a notice was placed in the room to advise who the maid is during your stay, that way we could have given her a mention. We were in 901 between 19-15 March. So, whoever did that room - many thanks for an excellent service. Room niggles; bathroom small, shower curtain rail positioned too close to the shower head made showering difficult, noisy air-con unit. Wifi did not work.

The beach and the food were both first class. The staff bent over backwards to be pleasant and ensure we wanted for very little. The staff that impressed us the most were:
Fabian (as covered above).
Chevelle - in the Cucina Romana at breakfast, was a delight, nothing too much trouble and always smiling - a joy to have around.
Dionne, who cooked our eggs (of various types) each morning. She always greeted us with a jolly “hello how are you both today”, and we often stopped and exchanged other pleasantries with her (especially when she was working in the Cucina Romana .
Flip, on the beach - always had time for a chat and kept us up to date with the latest UK football results.
The beach servers; were all fantastic. for their untiring efforts & happiness in such heat. They were all tremendous and really made our holiday something special. Worthy of special; mention is Nicky and Omar, who seemed to go well beyond our normal expectations. Our thanks to them al).
Natasha on reception, who sorted out a hospitality room for us on our last day.

We enjoyed all of the restaurants but found the Oleander room a bit pretentious so we only booked there the once. The Cricketers was great as it was air-conditioned. We ate there twice and had the “fish & chips” which we would recommend. Well done to Menka the manager, with whom we chatted to at length one evening - a very nice and sociable gentleman.

The gardens were stunning; we took lots of photos of the wonderful, well maintained grounds, and unusual plants. My wife particularly liked the Night Jasmine, and “wished we could grow it back home”

Our major gripe was, how all the beach hut beds were all reserved by the beach boys and butlers early in the morning. It was, as if, the non butler guests counted for nothing. When the hotel was busy, they even locked up the shady areas under the trees (big disappointment this, as I only sit in the shade and it became a bit of a lottery each morning trying to get a nice spot in the shade). It was most annoying when a butler had set up a hut or shade beds and the guests did not turn up all day long. This really should not be allowed there should be a 2 hour max limit, after which if not used, the chairs are freed up for other guests.

The evening entertainment was disappointing. Too many silly games, and too much inane mike chatter, drove us to our room early.

Other than that, a great holiday. We have been to many resorts in the Caribbean and we think the SMB is the best yet.

There have been a lot of negative remarks on TA about the aircraft noise. Why book a resort next to a runway if you don’t like a/c noise. A quick zoom in on Google maps shows exactly where the runway is. I guess it’s a case of people not doing the necessary homework. We loved it, and our plan is to return again next year.

Room Tip: Seagrapes an Palms buildings are best for rooms near the beach
1 Thank Goerge B
I'm so happy to hear that you had such a wonderful stay with us. It was our pleasure to make your stay so special. I will be sure to let the staff know how impressed you were with their service. Your mention is very encouraging and helps us to ensure that we continue on this track of excellence. Thank you so much for your kind review.

We look forward to your return!
Scranton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 2 April 2014

After a dreary and cold winter in PA, my boyfriend and I took a 5 day trip to enjoy some sun and fun at MoBay, and what we experienced was beyond anything we could imagine! :) It was absolute paradise!!!! From the moment we got off the plane to the moment we left the resort, we totally felt like they were waiting for us to get there!!! We were met at the resort with cold towels and smiles the instant we stepped out of the shuttle bus. Big Al welcomed us home, and treated us like we were the only couple at the resort. It was truly wonderful to be treated with such grace and respect, something you don't always find in America. We were led to the lounge to wait for our room. The technical check-in time is 3:00 p.m., but Big Al pushed to have our room ready when we got there, about 11:30 a.m. We waited about 20 minutes, which was no big deal, since we were prepared with our bathing suits in our carry-ons just in case we had to wait until the afternoon for our room. Big Al's kindness transported us immediately into romance mode, serving us water and two "Big Al Specials" from the bar!!! It was so awesome!
The resort itself is amazing. Beautiful beaches, friendly staff, and unbelievable service. We had a room in the Sea Grapes building, which was located near the swim up/piano bar. Our room had a beautiful view, and it was kept clean at all times. No complaints at all, since we were barely in our room except to sleep (which we did a lot!) and shower.
A big shout out to our fun and awesome bartenders, Omar (usually at the beach bar), Andrew (at the piano bar, who loves to sing and laugh and has his own one-man show), and Damar (also at the beach bar, he serenaded me with a smile!!!)! They truly made our experience one we will never forget. :)
The food here is soooo good. You will not have one bad meal, I can promise you that! We loved the Oleander Room--one of two places you need a reservation. Our waiter was Robert, who made the experience truly unforgettable. He was so sweet and he even remembered us the next morning at breakfast! :) The Cricketeer Pub has awesome wings and awesome service as well. Our waiter, Sesno, was so kind and funny. He kept yelling at me for drinking water! LOL! He had us laughing and smiling through our whole dinner. Actually, everyone did!
We didn't do any excursions this time around, because we really just needed some alone time and relaxation. We did, however, get a couples massage at the Red Lane Spa! It was absolutely amazing! Truly a relaxing and loving experience. I recommend it highly. :)
The piano bar was a lot of fun...there is a singalong every night! If you can make it till 10:30 p.m., definitely go! I regret that I do not know the very talented piano player's name, but he is truly great! He is fun and friendly, and he takes requests!!! Heck, he may even let you sit at the piano with him and sing!!! :)
Don't give a second thought to the planes flying overhead......it is definitely not an issue.
We did take the shuttle one day over to the Royal Caribbean, then went out to the private island, which I LOVED. It was so secluded and we spent hours in the pool, just relaxing and talking with another couple. :) We did spend some time in the main pool at the Royal Caribbean, and although my boyfriend will disagree, I definitely think it felt a little less romantic and secluded than MoBay. And the bartenders were NOT as awesome as Omar and Andrew!!! :)
I think I covered it all.....it was just a truly amazing time and we even booked next year for a week before we left!!!! :) Cannot wait! :)

Room Tip: I would recommend the Sea Grapes building to anyone! Right near the swim-up bar and not too far fro...
1 Thank mamafam
I'm so happy that you had such an amazing vacation with us. We want all our guests to have the experience of being in paradise and I am delighted to hear that we were able to create that experience for you.

Thank you for your great review of Sandals Montego Bay. We look forward to your return next year!
New York, United States
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Traveled to Sandals Mobay mid March. My boyfriend and I absolutely loved Jamaica, the resort and the people. We felt welcomed from the moment we arrived. At Sandals Mobay there was always plenty of fun activities and you could do as much or as little as you wanted. The playmakers are excellent, my favorite part of the trip. They really know how to show you a good time. A shout out to Shawna, Ruth Ann and Kendria, love you girls!! The bartenders were also great.

The food was good at all the restaurants, not too crazy about Bayside but the Caribbean restaurant is absolutely delicious. The nightly entertainment was awesome. Night cap at the Piano Bar with Josh singing old tunes was a must every night. He is one talented musician.

The grounds were clean, the beach is breathtaking and the staff is very friendly and accommodating.

This is my second Sandals resort and I've always said I wanted to see them all but after Jamaica Montego Bay, I might just stick to just that one.

We want to go back soon!!!!

Thank you!!!

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank Julianna R
Thank you so much for your kind review of Sandals Montego Bay. We are always so happy when guests post about how excellent our service was and how they enjoyed our comfortable, friendly environment. Meeting the expectations of all our guests is so important to us and I'm glad we were able to accomplish that goal during your stay.

We can't wait for your return!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montego Bay
Half Moon
Half Moon
#3 of 63 in Montego Bay
Sandals Ochi Beach Resort

Been to Sandals Montego Bay? Share your experiences!