“Sandals Montego Bay”

Ranked #9 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Sturgis, Michigan
“Sandals Montego Bay”
Reviewed 13 April 2014

We stayed Sandals Mar. 25 - 28th. It was wonderful, everyone was so friendly, welcoming us home! The resort was alittle on the tired side but it was beautiful,the food was good, the service was excellent, the room was clean, everyone was so eager to please us. What else could you ask for? The only thing we were dissapointed in was the dress code for French restaurant, we didn't know about it in advance, we would have packed differently so we could have enjoyed the resaurant.

Room Tip: I don't think you could find a bad room
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Cassie C, Review Coordinator at Sandals Montego Bay, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
We're glad you had such a great time at Sandals Montego Bay. We always strive to offer stellar experiences and we certainly hope that you return for an even better stay in the future. Thank you so much for your review!

Happy Travels!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,259)
Lake Orion, Michigan
Reviewed 8 April 2014

We stayed at the Montego Bay Sandals Resort April 2nd through the 6th. It was our first time to Jamaica and also a first time at a Sandals Resort. You could tell the resort was older but it was in great shape, the staff at Sandals work very hard from the house keeper, the grounds crew and the service staff - waiters/waitresses, bartenders and the water activities people. Everyone at the resort was always friendly and very hard working, you never had to wait for a drink or ask for one because people like Keylon, Omar, Tevin and Wadsworth were always checking on you. As a former restaurant manger/bartender/server I found the service at this resort better than any other place I had been to around the world. I hope Sandals takes care of these people because tipping is not allowed at the resort and these people treated everyone as if they were royalty. I also want to say the people in the water activities were exceptionally good, a person by the name of Johnny B. Took me and my wife out snorkeling and was very patient although we are not good swimmers at all, he made sure we had a good experience.

Room:
We stayed in the Almond Building, the room was nice but it was nothing over the top compared to other resorts I stayed, I felt the room was an ok size. We did get concierage service but rarely used it, if you use room services a lot or need to book a lot of activities, then you should do it - for us I don't think it was worth it. You are rarely in the room anyways so I am not going to be too critical here, it was clean with a good view and the bed was comfortable. I liked the almond building because it was a little bit away from the center of the resorts, yet a very close walk to all activities.

Food:
The food was great and I would say it was better than other resorts I have stayed. The booze was plentiful and you could get premium liquor as well, the only beer I saw was red stripe, but I like that beer so it wasn't an issue for me.

What I didn't like is we arrived on a Wednesday and I really wanted to eat at a Thai restaurant at the other Sandals Resort, all reservations for that were already booked up so we were put on a list in case someone cancelled. The next day someone cancelled and our concierage called us to catch a shuttle to the other resort for a reservation, we were excited and when we got to the other Sandals resort, the hostess/manager told us she didn't know what we were talking about and couldn't accomodate us, when I asked her to call to speak to her supervisor, she refused saying she didn't have a way to do it, this was the only rude person I met at Sandals but I didn't appreciate the attitude or the time we wasted because in order to get to this restaurant you had to take a shuttle from our sandals to another, and then catch a ferry to an island. When we got back to our resort without eating and wasting 2 hours of our time, I did let our concierage know how we were treated and she did apologize.

Other than that, all the food was great.

Entertainment:
We just wanted to relax without the kids, you get out of it was you put into it, there is a lot to do if you are busy. We did the glass bottom boat, it was pretty cool, we also did a private snorkeling lesson that was great, it took us snorkeling, to margaritaville and then to Sandals Island for lunch, I would recommend it.

Off the resort, we went to luminous lagoon where you swim at night and the water glows around you, we also did a haunted tour of Rose Hall, if you find the paranormal interesting, then this would be a good tour.

Airport:
We purchased the MoBay Pass for around 80 per person to be used when arriving and leaving. This is more than worth it, when we arrived there were about 500 people or more in line and we were told it would take about 3 to 4 hours to get through customs, with this pass we were able to cut to the front of the line and get through customs in about 15 minutes. When you leave you also get to cut to the front of the security line and then wait in a nice lounge with free food and drinks, they will call your plane when it is ready to board. I did speak to other people who arrived on different dates and said they had no problem or long lines when they entered, but that is not what I saw, the money for the MoBay Pass is worth it and you have to buy it BEFORE you get to the airport. Someone will greet you off the plane and take you to where you need to go.

Overall Sandals did a great job, I do feel they were pricey compared to the places I have been but it is a step higher with food and service, I would be open to staying at another Sandals but I would also price shop

Room Tip: We stayed in the Almond Building, the view was good, the room was nice but I can't say it was an...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank jeff197025
Cassie C, Review Coordinator at Sandals Montego Bay, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Thank you for your review of Sandals Montego Bay. We're thrilled to hear that you had such an amazing stay at our resort. We love creating wonderful memories for our guests and it seems the team at Sandals Montego Bay did just that. We hope to see you back in the future for another great vacation.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 8 April 2014

This exceeded my expectations and was my first time staying at a Sandals resort! The entertainment was awesome and very enjoyable! Drinks were great and food was delicious! Beautiful beach and rooms were spacious and clean. Michael, Harland, ralmilda, and Keisha were awesome entertainers! They knew our names and made us feel welcomed and at home :) great place to visit and you will enjoy the upbeat atmosphere!

• Stayed April 2014
We're glad you had such a great time at Sandals Montego Bay. We always strive to offer amazing experiences and we certainly hope that you return for an even better stay in the future. Thank you so much for your review!

Mansfield, Texas
Reviewed 8 April 2014

My wife and I visited Jamaica for the first time. We went to celebrate my birthday. We arrived on 29 March, my birthday. We booked our stay for 3 nights, but ended up extending for 3 more nights, for a total of 6 nights. We chose to stay in a Presidential One Bedroom Butler Suite. The Butler service was well worth it. We were taken care of by Palmer and Renay. They were absolutely the best. They took care of our every need from the time we arrived, until we left.

Excellent Customer service:
There are so many great things to say about Sandals. This was our first Sandals experience, and we will certainly return very soon. The impression that the entire staff made on us, caused us to extend our vacation by 3 days. Thank you Natasha, reservations, and Shellion at the front desk, for working hard to find us a room to extend our stay. They both worked extremely hard to keep us in our original room. We were initially told that the resort was overbooked, when we requested an extension. Shellion at the front desk, who seemed to be allways working, kept a constant smile on her face. She let reservations know that we wanted to extend. They made it happen and my wife and I were overjoyed.

Great entertainment:

The entertainment staff puts on a nightly show. They do a great job of getting the audience involved. There are a variety of acts that showcase the local talent, with good taste and colorful costumes. The dances, music, and variety acts were really nice. Remelda, of the entertainment group, was especially nice. She even persuaded my wife to come on stage with her for an entertaining dance.

Food:

There are some very nice food options. I see why quite a few people enjoyed the pizza by the beach. There is a grill by the beach, Stewfish, that has a constant supply of hot snacks. The jerk chicken wraps were awsome. The variety of pizza was great and hot. They will even make you a pizza of choice and serve it to you hot and fresh from the oven. The guys at the bar there keep your glasses full with anything your heart desires. No worries Mon!!! We enjoyed all of the restaraunts on site. Tokyo Joes, stir fry was the best!!! Oleander Room, Strip steak and Lamb were mouth watering. Thanks Solomon and Junior for taking good care of us. We ended up eating there twice. We also tried Cricketers Pub, which has one of the best Managers you will ever meet, Menka. Menka went above and beyond with his service and making you feel like you were at home. The food was hot and the drinks fast and fresh. We ate at the buffet for breakfast a couple of times. There was a nice variety of food to choose from. We chose most mornings to enjoy breakfast on our patio. Our Butlers, Palmer and Renay made sure our food arrived fast and hot. They both were constantly checking on us, to make sure we had plenty to snack on and eat. They were so in tune with our desires, they knew just when to bring us a snack without us asking. They are the best.

The grounds
The beach areas were kept very clean. The grounds on the entire property were maintained daily. I allways saw someone cleaning, cutting, sweeping, and maintaining the entire property around the clock. They work very hard to keep the resort very clean. Even the public bathrooms were well kept.

The room.
As I stated before, we chose the Presidential One bedroom Butler Suite. Our room had a fully stocked bar, no mini bar, full bar with 750ml bottles. Premium liquors and the fridge was stocked daily with water, soda and juices. If there was anything we wanted, we called Renay or Palmer, and they made sure we had it. Our room was well maintained on a daily basis. Thank you Camra, she was the maid who made sure our room was very well kept. She was very personable and had the kindest spirit. We had a beautiful view of the ocean, only steps away from it. We enjoyed breakfast or lunch daily on our patio. Our bed was very comfy and turned down each day. We were very surprised one night when we came back and found a hot rose pedal bath waiting. It was complete with champagne and a cheese tray. My wife and I really enjoyed that. As I stated before, the Butler service is certainly worth it. We even had the pleasure of meeting the Head Butler, Glenroy. He seemed to allways be everywhere on site working as well. I saw him working everywhere on property, lol..lol...one hard working man. Extremely nice gentleman and very funny.

I have mentioned several names above. I must say the entire staff at the resort was outstanding. Everyone we passed during our stay, greeted us with a smile and a hello. I apologize for leaving out the names of some of the staff, but Kudos to the entire Sandals Montego Bay staff!!!!

Room Tip: Try your best to get a suite, you will enjoy the added space.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Where2next-week
Thanks so much for your review of Sandals Montego Bay. We're happy to see you had a wonderful birthday with us. Seems like you enjoyed every minute of your vacation. We can't wait to offer you another great stay in the future!

Toronto
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I've stayed at several Sandals properties in Jamaica. Right after booking this holiday I was told that the mo'bay property was the oldest and its near the airport and you hear plans all day. I was immediately regretting my decision. However, the moment I saw the room I was glad of my choice. This has been on of my Favourite Sandals experiences and I would recommend this property (maybe not the lead in categories) to anyone. My husband I and had a private little beach house 8 plex on the beach at the end if the property. We had out own small beach area, and room service delivered or breakfast and lunch daily. It was incredibly private and beautiful. Once again Sandals I'll be going home with tab reviews. Thank you!

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank LoopsToronto
We're so glad to hear that you had an amazing stay at Sandals Montego Bay. We always strive to offer romantic and memorable vacations to our guests and I'm happy we were able to do just that during your stay. Thank you so much for your review!

We hope to see you again soon!
Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Pros - Shaneeka, Tevin and Big Al were absolutely fabulous - Sandals is lucky to have these 3 wonderful people in their employment!
The french restaurant was delish! Most of our party ordered the filet and it was cooked to perfection. The breakfast and lunch buffett was great - lots of options. Pizza was available pretty much 24/7 and was scrumptious. We made it to Tokyo's Jo's as well for dinner one night and not only was the food perfect - Radcliff our waiter was nice and very accomodating.
Very close to the airport - easy travel back & forth - you can hear the planes fly over but just for 20 seconds and we made a joke of it every single time - other reviewers said it was bothersome - we did not find it to be at all.

Cons - We needed the nurse our first day there (sad face) and she was less than happy to be called down to the waiting room and didnt hide that fact at all in front of us and other guests.
Pools - says there are 4 - there are only 2 - and the Swim Up Bar is on the other side of the property :(

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review. We always strive to showcase an amazing vacation to our guests and we hope to welcome you back in the near future!
Concord, New Hampshire
Reviewed 7 April 2014

We spent 6 nights at Sandals, our first all-inclusive resort trip (we've done resorts, but never all-inclusive) and it was great. The concierge service was very helpful, they always had the answers we needed! It wasn't too shabby to be greeted with a glass of rum punch upon arrival either! The food was OK - Bayside breakfast was a buffet - nothing special, but the breakfast at Cucina Romana was much better - cooked to order and more options. By far our favorite restaurant was Tokyo Jos, while there isn't a ton of variety, the food was consistently delicious and they put on a bit of a show (similar to hibachi, just not at your table).

The snorkeling is great (definitely bring your own gear if you have it, germophobes won't like reusing the snorkels - plus they tasted like soap!) if they talk you into doing the $30 per person snorkeling to Margaritaville, bring your own alcohol, a soda and mixed drink w/ the 2 souvenir cups was $35 USD!!!! They also take you to a duty free shop - the "sales associates" will follow you around and try to get you to buy anything you look at for more than 2 seconds, but know that you can definitely bargain with them.

Point to note: bartending at Sandals is NOT consistent. The bartenders in the main building (near the sky dome) are some of the best, and use real glassware. The beach & pool bars use jugs of pre-mixed cocktails and drinks were very inconsistent. BRING YOUR OWN INSULATED MUG. The cups they give on the beach are cheap plastic, many with cracks so they leak. The ice melts too fast and sand can get in your drink. Pack a LARGE (12+ ounces minimum) insulated mug, take it in the water, the sand, anywhere and you will save yourself a lot of time and energy running back to the bar and waiting in line.

Also - you WILL NOT get used to the planes flying overhead. Some reviews said it wasn't noticeable, I have no idea how you don't notice it. BUT, the staff waves everytime a plane flies overhead, so they have a good sense of humor about it!

Other than that, sit back and ENJOY! Its beautiful!

1 Thank Slick_Tracy
We're thrilled to read that you had a great vacation at Sandals Montego Bay. We strive to create stellar vacation experiences for our guests. Therefore, we're disappointed to hear your comments about some aspects of our vacation package. Thank you for your feedback. We hope to welcome you back in the future for a 5-star experience that exceeds your expectations.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montego Bay
Half Moon
Half Moon
#3 of 63 in Montego Bay
Sandals Ochi Beach Resort

Been to Sandals Montego Bay? Share your experiences!