“Great experience”

Ranked #9 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
Hartford, Connecticut
“Great experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

First- I don't typically like all inclusive places due to crowds that mimic hearded cattle and not great food, but this was definitely a good experience. We stayed in a basic OceanFront room #1005 with a gorgeous view. We didn't need more because we were barely ever in the room. We didn't have a 'butler' as some did but we didn't need one- we were fine making our own dinner reservations, finding our own chairs on the beach, etc.. It is cool that they give you a cell phone, though, to contact your butler at any time you need.

To start, the planes are annoying in the beginning but then you get used to them.. you truly do. You just 'pause' in conversation for 5 seconds everytime one flies over and clink glasses with your new friends and smile about it. The noise is still worth the short 5 minute drive after landing to get to the hotel. Every evening Virgin has one HUGE plane that takes off, it's quite the sight. Everyone stops, stares, and ooh's and ahh's at it.

Second, the hourly shuttle between the two Montego Bay resorts (Royal Carribean is the sister resort) is to die for. You can use all of their amenities and restaurants and beaches.Two resorts for the price of one, located 5 minutes apart. Awesome.

Third, Clothing optional beach on the private Island off of the Sandals Royal Carribean resort is awesome. Best swimming hole I've seen yet was there. And lunch is brought out there daily to the 'Bamboo Shack' (must wear clothes to lunch though because it is shared with non-nude folks!) And I am not a nudist, but had no problem shedding the bathing suit, and I loved it!!! Just this feature would keep me coming back for more.

Fourth, great staff. Shout out and high fives go to: Alford at the Front Desk in Montego Bay- he was sooo friendly. Romaine at the Beach Bar- super friendly. Owen at the island bar off Royal Carribean- makes you feel very welcome. Tevin at the pool bar (that kid has major personality!). Pheonia at the island who ran the Thai restaurant, she was just so sweet and willing to do anything to make your stay pleasant. Jasmine and Andrea who gave us wonderful body scrubs at the spa and smiled everytime we saw them around the grounds. Dionne the breakfast chef was beyond amazing with her friendly demeanor and amazing food. The lady who does the entertainment is fantastic. And the landscaping staff is just sooo sweet. I met one of them at the awards night (for which they won an award) and the young man I talked to was just so proud of his departments work around the grounds. (Which were spotless and perfectly kept!) It was nice to see.

A special thank you goes out to the Royal Caribbean waiter Gregory and Chef Chevon- they provided the absolute highlight of my trip. I am a MAJOR foodie. On my last night I ate lobster and all the other goodies, but after I asked to see the chef. Chevon came out, very friendly, and I begged him to make me something that was TRULY Jamaican, something his grandmother might serve, and NOT resort food. He made me a tasting plate of diced pumpkin, caliloo cooked two different ways, and spicy curried meat. It was the definite most awesome moment of my entire trip. I'm sure he wasn't 'supposed' to do that, but the fact that he did made me so incredibly happy. I think that there should be a place very close where you can get REAL Jamaican food- not resort Jamaican food (We ate at the Oleander Jamaican restaurant and it was still 'resortized' Jamaican food). I want cubed pumpkin and goat and stuff!

Tip: Buy an insulated travel mug at the gift shop and use it for ALL your drinks. Not only is it more sanitary but it keeps your drinks cold and covered. Wish we had known that from the start.

A few minor downers (but nothing major) were:
*All the food is salty or sugary
*The ocean has lion fish and sea urchins so make sure you can see where you step.
*Waiting for drinks in lines sometimes. (Not always though)
*Sugar sugar and more sugar in those drinks!
*A travel agent convention on our last day was hugely annoying as they created waits and lines for food and drink

Other than that, it was Irie, Mon!!!! :) Denise and Joe, CT

1 Thank AnastasiaDancer
Cassie C, Review Coordinator at Sandals Montego Bay, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Thank you so much for such an amazing review of Sandals Montego Bay! We can tell that you really enjoyed your stay. We are always delighted to hear our guests speak so highly of our staff and they really appreciate the kind words. They work really hard to make each guest feel welcomed and ensure they have a blast. We will be waiting to welcome you back and look forward having more fun times with you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,232)
New Castle PA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

We just came back from a wedding at the Sandals Resort in Jamaica and went to the Tai Restaurant which at night is not really worth the trip. We had a mixup with reservations and we were the last ones there and we had to wait until the crew was done to take their boat back to the shuttle... so we missed the shuttle by 2 minutes. There were 8 of us and we had to pay for a shuttle back. If we did not have to wait, we would have made the shuttle. It took 2 days to get the issue resolved. Was not impressed by the restaurant and food was ok. Once back at the resort we had a difficult time talking with the night manager about the shuttle fiasco. I understand that the shuttle runs on a schedule, but we were ready to take the boat back, but we had to wait until they cleaned up. We were the last people there.
The food was ok, not the best and most of the sit down service the food was actually cold. The breakfast buffet was good, but never varied. This is our 3rd all-inclusive and was not our number 1.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for posting about your stay with us. I’m so sorry that your experience with us did not quite meet your expectations.

Your feedback is crucial in the improvement process so we thank you for your review. Your comments have been sent to our management team for review and action will be taken to ensure our future guests do not share this experience.

Hopefully, we can welcome you back for a much better vacation in the future.
jbren215
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

We stayed at Sandals Montego Bay March 17-20, 2014. After much deliberation between all of Sandals resorts, we ultimately picked SMB due to its close proximity to the airport. So let me get the airport question out of the way first: the first time you hear a plane takeoff from the airport which is directly behind the resort, it does freak you out. However, after that, it’s really no big deal. I believe the busiest days were on the weekend. To me, it seemed like the planes took off every half hour or so. It really was not as bad as I thought it would be so don’t let the plane noise deter you from staying here.

Customs was about a 30 minute wait- we chose Club Mobay for our return flight, so we did not have this service when entering Jamaica. Looking back, I wish we did. Even though it was 30 minutes, when you are excited to get to your resort, it feels like forever. So I would recommend Club Mobay for both your return and departure. The Sandals lounge was fine- you really aren’t there that long- you have a drink and the next thing you know they are calling you for your bus. Our luggage was loaded (tip the porter! He is not affiliated with Sandals) and off we went.
After a ten minute ride, we arrived at the resort (tip your driver! He is not affiliated with Sandals either). When you arrive, it’s not all that impressive. But that’s ok. I don’t really care what the façade looks like so it didn’t bother me. We were brought into Club Sandals and offered a rum punch. We reserved a Beachfront Hideaway Butler Village Suite so we were just waiting for our Butler to arrive. Our first butler, Palmer, came to greet us and told us our room wouldn’t be ready for an hour so he escorted us to the Bayside restaurant for lunch. This is the buffet, and in my opinion, our least favorite meal there. Once we were done, he met us back at Club Sandals and brought us to our room, where our luggage would be waiting.

ROOM: I’d like to say a couple of things about the room: Butler village is different from the large buildings that hold the rest of the other rooms. They are like cottages. Our “cottage” had three rooms on the top floor (where we were located) and three on the bottom. We were literally in the last cottage on the property. We had a clear view from our balcony into someone’s private home (which was stunning). Suffice it to say, it was a long walk from where we were staying to where the dining and bars were. The swim up pool bar was closer to us than the main pool and dining areas, but we didn’t really hang out there (more on that later). My husband works out six days a week and he was exhausted by the time we reached the other end of the property. I would never get this room again simply for that fact. Also, the room didn’t really look like what the picture looks like on the Sandals website (check the 360 degree photo for a more accurate description). The view from the shared balcony (which I didn’t like- who wants to share their balcony with other couples???) was lovely though, and it was very quiet at night.

BEACH: We were surprised at how nice the beach was. We previously stayed at The Ritz Carlton, Rose Hall (which is now closed) and their beach was non-existent. So this was a welcome surprise. However, the beach where the Butler suites are was very, very small and the water had large masses of kelp on the bottom of the ocean. Even though our butler would set up our chairs and a cooler for us, we spent about 2 hours there, we would go have lunch and then spend the rest of the day on the beach in front of the beach bar. That is the beach you want to sit at. In addition, there are no peddlers on the beach (as opposed to Sandals Negril) so that was a relief to not have to be bothered every ten minutes.

DINING: Besides the lunch buffet at Bayside on our first day, all of the meals were very good. We did eat at Bayside for breakfast, which was much better than lunch and had the rest of the lunches from Mariner’s grill which was good too. Our first night we ate at the Cricketeers Pub at the bar. We shared the wings, which were decent, and both got the steak for dinner, which, although very thin, was tender and tasty. The following night we went to Le Jardinier at Sandals Royal Caribbean, and that was our favorite meal. The service was a little slow (but you are on Jamaican time) but the meal was delicious! We both had soup for an appetizer and filet mignon for dinner, which was very good and cooked perfectly. The third night we went to Tokyo Jo’s. We were undecided between that and Royal Thai on SRC private island, but after talking to many people, it was almost unanimous for Tokyo Jo’s, so that’s what we picked and we were not disappointed. We had soup and an appetizer, both were very good. Then you go to a communal hibatchi table and pick your vegetables and meats and they make it to order right in front of you and you bring it back to your table. It was delicious and filling. Our last night we choose Cucina Romana. We are Italian, and when we stayed at Sandals Negril the Italian restaurant there (which has changed names since) was nothing special at all. So we were leery of trying Italian again, but went based on the recommendation of Trip Advisor and fellow guests at the resort. We were not disappointed! Everything was very good. We had the mozzarella in carozza (they accommodated substituting the orange sauce for red sauce); I had a salad and my husband had the gnocchi with bleu cheese, which was excellent; and we both had the sirloin steak which was very good (and better than the steak at the pub). The service everywhere was good, slow at times, but it is Jamaica and you are on island time!

BARS: We visited the Main Bar, near Tokyo Jo’s, the Beach Bar and Cricketeer’s Pub. The service was a little spotty (especially from the female bartenders) but once they got to know you they were right on top of things. We especially liked Tevin, Whittaker and Kenneth- great guys who always had a smile and made sure you were having fun. We loved Cricketeer’s Pub- when you wanted to get out of the sun and have some AC, this was the place to go. Plus, they served 2 more additional beers than Red Stripe, so my husband liked that. We did not spend any time at the swim up bar/piano bar, but more on that under pools.

POOLS: One of the downfalls here are the pools, or lack thereof. The main pool is very small (seriously, my parents pool is bigger) and the swim up pool is so small, strangely configured and crowded we didn’t bother going in. There is a huge area behind the beach bar that had a basketball court that I never saw anyone use. This would be a perfect spot for Sandals to put a really nice pool/swim up bar. Hopefully they will take that into consideration! The one night we went to the Piano bar (which is attached to the swim up bar) there was not a soul in there (everyone was at the Beach party) so we left. I think I got a couple of drinks there when we were at the small beach in front of it that I spoke about earlier, the “butler suite beach” and Tevin was working and he was awesome, but other than that we didn’t spend any time there.

SPA/GYM: I did not go to the gym, but my husband did and loved it. New equipment and plunge pools. As for the spa, I had two massages while I was there, and both times had Nordia. Oh what can I say: NORDIA! NORDIA! NORDIA! She was so amazing I wanted to take her home with me. She is very sweet and very good at what she does! I get regular massages and she was probably in the top two that I have ever had. If you are going to treat yourself, make sure to ask for Nordia! My husband also got a massage and his masseuse was Sasha- he loved her as well. Can’t say enough about how great they were.

BUTLERS: We had two butlers, Palmer and Renay. I want to be totally honest, so I have a mixed review. When we stayed at Sandals Negril, we had two butlers: one was great, the other so-so. But I think part of that had to do with the fact we never had Butler service before and really did not know what to expect. This time around we did. We first met Palmer, who was very nice. We had the biggest issue with making dining reservations. They pre-picked our dining places and times (we don’t eat fish and we like to eat later) and it was if we were being forced to eat at a time and place we did not want. When trying to change reservations, we felt like we were bothering them and they acted like they didn’t know if it would be possible to change a reservation we never asked for in the first place. At Sandals Negril, we never had this problem. Part of the perk of having Butler service is that you should be able to eat wherever you want, when you want (at least that was our experience at SN). And when we would get to the restaurant we wanted to eat at, there was never a wait and the place was never even half full. We felt like they wanted us to think they were jumping through hoops to get us reservations, when clearly that was not the case. Our first two days, we felt like we were inconveniencing them. I truly felt like we were only there four nights, and they were more pre-occupied with couples who were there longer, because their tip would be bigger. When we asked to have beach chairs and a cooler, Renay acted as if “well I guess I can do that”. It’s part of the package! It was as if she was hoping we didn’t know about it and therefore wouldn’t ask for it and she wouldn’t have to be bothered. Every single butler room gets this service; I wasn’t asking for a foot rub. After two days of this, then they finally started to pay attention to us. It was like when you go to a restaurant, have crappy service, but towards the end of the meal the waiter is all over you because he knows his tip is coming. More disappointing was the two couples who were staying next to us, had the same butler (a woman whose name I can’t recall)and they could not stop raving about her. We didn’t understand why we were all on the same floor why we wouldn’t have the same butler, but whatever. So by day three, they were more attentive, even setting up champagne, appetizers, rose petals all over the place and a bubble bath for the last two nights of our trip. It was very nice, but we felt they should have been like that from the get-go. Between the location of the Butler suite, and the average service of the butlers, we would not do Butler category at this resort again. I think Club Level would suffice (access to the lounge, mini-bar, room service and concierge is all you need).

All in all, we enjoyed our vacation very much. Like I mentioned, we had a short stay and did not feel like wasting half a day trying to get to Negril or Ochos Rios, so that’s why Sandals MoBay made sense for us. After visiting Royal Carribean, it did look more elegant to us, but unfortunately I did not get to see the grounds or beach. It did look more romantic and intimate from what I saw. So, the most disappointing thing for us was the butler service. It was definitely not “luxury included”. I would not do that again, at least not at this resort, especially considering how far away the rooms are from the heart of the resort. I checked "Average" as my overall rating only because I don;t think Sandals MoBay quite reaches "Very Good" but its better than Average. Overall: great beach, bars and food. Disappointments: Butler service and Location of rooms and pools. If you're looking for luxury and beautiful pools, this is not the place for you :)

Room Tip: Beachfront Hideaway Butler Suite DOES NOT look like the room on the website (use the 360 degree phot...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank jbren215
We regret to hear that we did not meet your expectations during your stay. We have many guests who feel the direct opposite and have boasted of our luxurious resort. As hoteliers we realize that there is always room for improvement and feedback is crucial in this process so we thank you for your review.

We want to make sure future guests do not have similar feedback and will take action by notifying the appropriate departments of your remarks.

Thank you for your review and we hope you will afford us the opportunity to showcase the best of what Sandals has to offer in a future visit with us.
Cleveland, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

Sandals resorts are so nice and relaxing. You don't have to worry about anything while your there. The only bad thing I can say is how close it is to the airport. Ever 5 minutes a plane flying over. That's the only bad thing to say.

• Stayed May 2013
We're thrilled to see that we were able to not only meet but also exceed your expectations during your stay. Thank you so much for your review.

We can't wait to welcome you back for another relaxing stay!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

This was our first trip to Jamaica and will definitely not be the last. My husband and I totally enjoyed this property. This was our second stay at a Sandals and we are sold on these properties. The Sandals Montego Bay has a beautiful beach and it never really felt overcrowded. As with any beach destination the early bird gets the worm if you are looking to have a spot with some shade. Our room was located in near the piano bar in the building behind there (room 916). We opted this time for the Caribbean Deluxe Room, but we both agreed that the next time we would like a room closer to the beach and restaurants. The room was on the smaller side, but it was very clean and well appointed. I love that they provide lots of hangers for clothing and ample storage for other clothing items. The restaurants at this resort are all very good. You require reservations at the Oleander and Cucina Romana. We had an incredible dining experience at the Oleander, unfortunately we could not get into Cucina Romana because it was booked. I heard from other guests that this was also very good. Tokyo Joe's and Bayside were great for evening dining as well as the Cricketeer's Pub for casual fare. The staff work very hard to make your vacation enjoyable and go above and beyond to please. On the upside is that the resort is a very short 10 minute drive from the airport. The airport runway for takeoffs is just behind the resort, BUT VERY HONESTLY THIS IS NOT A NEGATIVE and in no way bothered us at all. You can also take the shuttles to visit the other two Sandal resorts in Montego Bay and take advantage of their resorts as well. Definitely visit them if you have the opportunity. A visit to Red Lane Spa is also a real treat. So nice! The grounds on the resort are beautiful!

The staff, what we can say about the staff.....THEY ARE AMAZING. They are hardworking and wonderful. They would definitely make us return to this resort. Shout outs go to Dalton (take the tour with him to Negril if you have the opportunity), Cornell, Kacy and Tevin (bartenders at the beach bar), Tameka (on reservations), Dawn (manager), Dalton (Bayside), oh my gosh so many others that went out of their way for service.

If you do have the time I highly recommend the Sandals Foundation tour to visit the children at a school. This was undoubtedly the highlight for me. They stole my heart and I will do it again on my next visit to this beautiful island.

Room Tip: The suites that are closer to the piano bar would be our choice for our next trip. The rooms on the...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thanks so much for your review of Sandals Montego Bay. We're happy to see you had a wonderful vacation with us. Seems like you enjoyed every minute of your vacation. We can't wait to offer you another great stay in the future!

Happy Travels!
Sturgis, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

We stayed Sandals Mar. 25 - 28th. It was wonderful, everyone was so friendly, welcoming us home! The resort was alittle on the tired side but it was beautiful,the food was good, the service was excellent, the room was clean, everyone was so eager to please us. What else could you ask for? The only thing we were dissapointed in was the dress code for French restaurant, we didn't know about it in advance, we would have packed differently so we could have enjoyed the resaurant.

Room Tip: I don't think you could find a bad room
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
We're glad you had such a great time at Sandals Montego Bay. We always strive to offer stellar experiences and we certainly hope that you return for an even better stay in the future. Thank you so much for your review!

Happy Travels!
Lake Orion, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

We stayed at the Montego Bay Sandals Resort April 2nd through the 6th. It was our first time to Jamaica and also a first time at a Sandals Resort. You could tell the resort was older but it was in great shape, the staff at Sandals work very hard from the house keeper, the grounds crew and the service staff - waiters/waitresses, bartenders and the water activities people. Everyone at the resort was always friendly and very hard working, you never had to wait for a drink or ask for one because people like Keylon, Omar, Tevin and Wadsworth were always checking on you. As a former restaurant manger/bartender/server I found the service at this resort better than any other place I had been to around the world. I hope Sandals takes care of these people because tipping is not allowed at the resort and these people treated everyone as if they were royalty. I also want to say the people in the water activities were exceptionally good, a person by the name of Johnny B. Took me and my wife out snorkeling and was very patient although we are not good swimmers at all, he made sure we had a good experience.

Room:
We stayed in the Almond Building, the room was nice but it was nothing over the top compared to other resorts I stayed, I felt the room was an ok size. We did get concierage service but rarely used it, if you use room services a lot or need to book a lot of activities, then you should do it - for us I don't think it was worth it. You are rarely in the room anyways so I am not going to be too critical here, it was clean with a good view and the bed was comfortable. I liked the almond building because it was a little bit away from the center of the resorts, yet a very close walk to all activities.

Food:
The food was great and I would say it was better than other resorts I have stayed. The booze was plentiful and you could get premium liquor as well, the only beer I saw was red stripe, but I like that beer so it wasn't an issue for me.

What I didn't like is we arrived on a Wednesday and I really wanted to eat at a Thai restaurant at the other Sandals Resort, all reservations for that were already booked up so we were put on a list in case someone cancelled. The next day someone cancelled and our concierage called us to catch a shuttle to the other resort for a reservation, we were excited and when we got to the other Sandals resort, the hostess/manager told us she didn't know what we were talking about and couldn't accomodate us, when I asked her to call to speak to her supervisor, she refused saying she didn't have a way to do it, this was the only rude person I met at Sandals but I didn't appreciate the attitude or the time we wasted because in order to get to this restaurant you had to take a shuttle from our sandals to another, and then catch a ferry to an island. When we got back to our resort without eating and wasting 2 hours of our time, I did let our concierage know how we were treated and she did apologize.

Other than that, all the food was great.

Entertainment:
We just wanted to relax without the kids, you get out of it was you put into it, there is a lot to do if you are busy. We did the glass bottom boat, it was pretty cool, we also did a private snorkeling lesson that was great, it took us snorkeling, to margaritaville and then to Sandals Island for lunch, I would recommend it.

Off the resort, we went to luminous lagoon where you swim at night and the water glows around you, we also did a haunted tour of Rose Hall, if you find the paranormal interesting, then this would be a good tour.

Airport:
We purchased the MoBay Pass for around 80 per person to be used when arriving and leaving. This is more than worth it, when we arrived there were about 500 people or more in line and we were told it would take about 3 to 4 hours to get through customs, with this pass we were able to cut to the front of the line and get through customs in about 15 minutes. When you leave you also get to cut to the front of the security line and then wait in a nice lounge with free food and drinks, they will call your plane when it is ready to board. I did speak to other people who arrived on different dates and said they had no problem or long lines when they entered, but that is not what I saw, the money for the MoBay Pass is worth it and you have to buy it BEFORE you get to the airport. Someone will greet you off the plane and take you to where you need to go.

Overall Sandals did a great job, I do feel they were pricey compared to the places I have been but it is a step higher with food and service, I would be open to staying at another Sandals but I would also price shop

Room Tip: We stayed in the Almond Building, the view was good, the room was nice but I can't say it was an...
7 Thank jeff197025
Cassie C, Review Coordinator at Sandals Montego Bay, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Thank you for your review of Sandals Montego Bay. We're thrilled to hear that you had such an amazing stay at our resort. We love creating wonderful memories for our guests and it seems the team at Sandals Montego Bay did just that. We hope to see you back in the future for another great vacation.