“Perfect Mix”

Ranked #9 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Warren, Pennsylvania
“Perfect Mix”
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Sandals Montego Bay was the absolute perfect mix of romance, relaxation, fun, laughter, and adventure. I planned this trip as a college graduation gift for my boyfriend, and although I think we were the only non married couple there, it was the perfect vacation.
The luxury of Sandals began right at the airport in the Sandals lounge where you could relax and get a yummy cocktail, or a red stripe of course. Our shuttle arrived very quickly and our luggage porter was very friendly. The shuttle ride was only about 10 minutes, and as soon as we stepped off the shuttle we were greeted with welcoming smiles and a cold towel.
Big Al helped us with check in process and took us into a beautiful lounge, and got us both a cocktail, I believe it was a rum punch, but it was the tastiest cocktail I had the whole trip! (I wish I could have tracked him down later to find out what it was!) He had a fantastic personality, and he also upgraded our room for us. After the check in process, Orville took us on a tour of the property and showed us our room which was in the Sea Grapes building. Orville was also full of personality and made us feel very welcome. Orville also delivered my luggage later when it arrived at the resort (someone had mistakenly taken my luggage at the airport)
Our room was on the second floor, and it had a gorgeous view of the ocean from our balcony.The bed was incredibly comfortable, and we also had a fridge stocked with juices, water, and sodas. The housekeeping staff kept the room incredibly clean, and restocked our fridge every day.
We arrived on a Monday, and that evening they had a beach party, which was one of the most fun experiences of my life!! There was great food, entertainment, and lots of laughs! The Playmakers at Sandals do a fantastic job of entertaining the guests and getting them involved in the party.
The restaurants at the resort are all wonderful, and it was great to get to try many new foods. Dinner at the Oleander Room was great, and our server, Junior, did an impeccable job.
During our stay we did snorkeling, and my boyfriend also did the scuba diving both of which were included and a great time!
We also booked a tour through Island Routes, we went to Mystic Mountain and did the zip lining, and bobsled, and also to Dunn's River Falls. It was a great time, and our tour guide, Patrice, or Momma as she asked to be called, was wonderful, she was very informative and honest with us.
Our trip was far beyond our expectations and we hope to return soon. I highly recommend staying at Sandals Montego Bay, the staff will make your experience memorable, and you will have the perfect blend of romance and adventure to keep your relationship spark glowing bright. You will not be able to get enough of this resort, so I recommend booking for a longer trip!

Room Tip: A room with a balcony gives you a nice place to drink your morning coffee, or to relax before going...
2 Thank ejltravels

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,274)
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 15 May 2014

The staff at this resort is the best we've ever encountered; let me be specific...the maids are the best...the front desk personnel are present but just never seem to get any requests fulfilled.
The maids do an excellent job...are friendly and personable and honest and efficient. Our room was always clean with extra touches tossed in by the maid.
Oleander restaurant is GREAT and a bonus of having "white glove" service AND no reservations required. The food there is excellent....didn't care much for the other restaurants and when they had a beach party and cooking outside the birds were picking food off of the buffet tables...not very hygenic at all.
The pool (with the swim up bar) is too small to accomodate more than a handful of people and the bigger pool near the restaurants is too crowded to have any fun in...and you can never get a chair unless you get up at 5 am to reserve one and even then someone will "steal" it unless you sit on it permanently...who wants to do that?
The beach is terrible and dangerous....there is sea grass on the bottom and it attracts sea urchins....step on one and you are in pain for weeks to come.
They have a staff member go out in the morning and snorkle over the sea bottom but he does a poor job and it's only once a day that I could see....so I took it upon myself to snorkle over the area and toss any sea urchins out past the roped off swimming area so that no one would get injured....the one day that I didn't do it some woman got hurt.
I would never pay the premium price to go back to this resort, instead we went to the Palladium in Lucea and had a better time....it's too bad because the staff is so great and Oleander's is so good...I"ll miss them.
One last thing....the shopping on this resort is next to 'nil...overpriced and lack of choice and the gift shop personnel could use a lesson in customer relations...they really have a bad attitude...I mean, if you don't like your job...move on and get another that's NOT in the service industry.
So, in summary, The pools are too small, The swimming area in the ocean is less than desirable, The food is mostly average, except for Oleander's, The grounds are kept perfectly, the maids are the best in the industry, our room was exceptional but then again we had a little bungalow near the tennis courts and not located in the big buildings...oh, and the coffee was terrible...day in and day out the coffee was really bad....it sat heating in those big urns all day long.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank darnhardworker
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Montego Bay, responded to this review, 18 May 2014
We appreciate you taking the time to post about your stay at Sandals Montego Bay.

We regret to hear that we did not meet quite your expectations for service and quality. We are grateful for all feedback, as it allows us the opportunity to identify our strengths and weaknesses. Therefore, your comments have been passed on to the General Manager for immediate evaluation and action as needed. We want to ensure that we are presenting our guests with the best vacation package and we are always willing to make the necessary improvements. We do hope that you give us a chance to redeem ourselves during a future stay. We would love the chance to host you at one of our resorts and offer the true Sandals luxury experience for which we are known.
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

Me and my wife went to Sandals Montego Bay from April 30th - May 9th. We went with extremely high expectations, to say the least. Upon arrival we are used to getting the run around on our room. However we were shocked to have an immediate shuttle from the airport to the hotel. Once we arrived we were escorted the the arrival lounge. Within 10 minutes we were off to our room. Furthermore it was the right room type in the sea grapes building. The room was very nice and all that had been promised upfront was actually taking place. We have been on numerous all inclusive vacations and this was the first time we didn't have to scream and fight to get what we paid for. After checking in we ventured out to take a look at the property. All I can say is it is simply amazing. The grounds are spectacular, the beach is pristine, and all though the property is older it was picture perfect for us!

Food: the breakfast was great. The egg chef will do it your way and they are great.
The lunch was equally as awesome with more options than you know what to do with. Dinner was good for an all inclusive brand.

So overall I will give it 4.5 stars

Service/staff
This section I could spend hours on. They were the kindess, most thoughtful group of people I have ever had the chance to vacation with. Every one knows your name, knows your drinks, and goes out of there way to make you feel comfortable. There were a handful of people that I now consider life long friends. First off Jasino, who we ate breakfast with as often as possible. He was a warm smile in the mornings and an awesome entertainer at night. Donald the bar tender had a drink ready for us every time as we approached the bar. Schellene, took us under her care and made sure we were having fun at all times. Tevin, from the pool bar who kept us laughing and happy. Scion and his talents for entertaining and art. Cornell who made us the most delicious cocktails till the middle of the night. Cadian who worked at the Bayside buffet was a jewel. Finally Heather who is new to the entertainment staff was just great. As I said earlier I could go on and on. We did not meet one staff member who wasn't extremely pleasant during our stay.

So overall service: 5+ stars

Grounds: 5 stars

Entertainment: 5 stars

In closing as we left the property both me and wife had to fight back the tears. The feeling was similar to leaving a family member. Upon leaving we were looking for our special friends to say goodbye to but could not find Jasino and Heather. Turns out they were on break so we figured that we missed them. As we walked towards the front desk Jasino and Heather were waiting for us to say good bye. I was touched with the amount of care these folks take. I am actually touched now just thinking about it. Sandals was more than a vacation it was an experience!!!!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank CJCaldwell
Oshawa, Canada
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I was just at this resort for a wedding last week. The resort is beautiful and the service was amazing. All the employees there are incredibly sweet and helpful. Special shout out to Hartlon, Michael, Flip and Scion who were all super awesome and made the trip extra fun. They all went the extra mile to make sure we were having a great time. Not a dull moment passed by! THANK YOU! :)

Room Tip: We stayed in one of the "cheaper" rooms and it was still so nice! I don't think you h...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Sandals Montego Bay was so perfect. The beach was very clean and was full with activities all day. The best part of the trip was the staff. The bartenders Dane, RonRoy, and Kenneth was awesome. I felt like I have known them for years, they was very polite and helpful my entire stay. The Cricketers Pub was my favorite dining option. Menka and his staff went over and beyond to ensure that my wife and I was very happy. I will definitely come back to Sandals Montego Bay next May again.

Uk
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Apparently Sandals has won the Travel Industry's award for the best "All Inclusive" provider for 18 years in a row and it is easy to see why. SMB isn't perfect, for example there are no lifts (elevators) and, as some have said. the access to some of the rooms feels a bit like climbing a fire escape. The only other thing I might change is the arrangement in the central area and the skydome in particular. I felt a bit sorry for some of the entertainers because there are so many distractions in that area, staff pushing trolleys past and a busy bar just opposite, etc.

You may think it strange that I start this review with a little negativity, but I needed to do that to dispose of it because our overall experience was only positive. Our room, while a little dated, was spotlessly clean and the views from the balcony were stunning.

SMB scored heavily for food and we ate at most of the restaurants during our stay. I can't put them in order of preference because they were so diverse. The two formal restaurants,
Cucina Romana and The Oleander both produced excellent 5 course meals with service to match, but I would have to just give Oleander the edge for its superb steak.

Although the menu was quite limited, we loved Tokyo Jo's, fresh Asian food, selected by you and prepared while you watch was excellent. Can't wait to get the wok out now we're back home!

Stewfish was another favourite and we ate there on our last night, feet on the sand and about 20 feet from the sea. Good food, matched only by the service and the location.

We were too late to eat at the restaurants on our first night, so we snacked at The Cricketers pub and the food was surprisingly good, in fact we seemed to gravitate towards the pub on most evenings!

Breakfasts at Bayside were fine, but our one evening meal there was a little disappointing and we felt that the food didn't quite live up to the promise of the menu. Not a big deal and we may have had a bit of an off night ourselves.

The variety of entertainment on offer was very good, but it was never intrusive if you just wanted to chill out and the gamesmakers were incredible.

The staff at Sandals were, as many others have said, quite exceptional and they can only be that way if the right ones are chosen and if they love their work. The fact that Sandals make that look so easy is an enormous compliment to them. I usually try not to mention individuals because it can do more harm than good if you forget someone, but I just have to here.

Firstly our room stylist (love the term!), Jennifer was efficient, considerate, an absolute delight and a treasure. She made our days special.

We probably spent far too much time in The Cricketers and we would like to thank the fabulous Menka and his staff for helping to make our time at Sandals so special. I think it was Andrew behind the bar who turned serving a busy bar single handed and making it look easy, into an art form!

Orville, at the front of house was a lovely guy too, with a smile as wide as the Caribbean. He knew that American Airways had left one of our cases in Miami and that we were a bit worried about it. So, when it arrived 24 hours later, he made a point of taking it straight up to our room before the others and that was very thoughtful of him.

Finally I want to thank two Kimberleys. Firstly, Nurse Kimberley in the first aid room was lovely and helped to sort out an ear problem I had. She even phoned me the following morning to check that I was ok. Kimberley in the Club Mobay lounge was also a shining light, always cheerful and helpful

I apolgise unreservedly for not mentioning all the staff individually, but without exception, they were all excellent.

We did a couple of trips out, rafting on the Martha Brae River was lovely, but I'll review that separately. We also did the Sandals Foundation trip to the nursery class at a local school. I would recommend that trip to anyone, we were captivated from the moment they said "good morning aunties and uncles". It was emotional, exhausting and probably one of the most rewarding things we have done in years.

Thank you Sandals, we had a great time at SMB.

1 Thank lightmyfire
Jamaica, New York
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I visited the sandals resort in montego bay Jamaica last week and the staff was excellent. A staff member who be remembered the most was a wedding supervisor named Nigel who made us feel so welcomed by his service and his ever present smile. All of us took note as he worked so very hard to ensure that guest were taken care of and comforted. We were very pleased to have him with us for a very special occasion that we will never forget. Anyone visiting the resort in the near future ask for Nigel and you will be in great hands.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
#11 of 63 in Montego Bay
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall
Sandals Ochi Beach Resort

Been to Sandals Montego Bay? Share your experiences!