“awesome time except for a few things that weren't included that should be”

Sandals Montego Bay
Ranked #9 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Delaware
“awesome time except for a few things that weren't included that should be”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

A really great vacation! Had a wonderful time but had a few negatives we want to point out for anyone traveling there. Overall, this was a luxurious, pampered, well rested vacation. Food and drink quality was great. Quite a number of couples got married there during our stay.

The staff is super friendly and upbeat. But they're not allowed to accept tips, but are very appreciative for them.

Rooms were great, open bar in the room, included, sodas included, food included, toys for the beach area such as snorkel and floats NOT INCLUDED! come on guys, had to pay $90 for snorkels, really?! Snorkels are reserved for people going on the snorkeling excursion. Still, there's more included than on most cruises! Beware of the water sports booth, they really try to push you to the not-included, expensive activities! This is separate from the island routes desk inside the main building.

The resort is right next to the airport, but with very limited take-offs/landing, it's really not an issue. You won't notice the planes.

No ATM on site, costs a $20 taxi round trip. They want you to stay on the resort, but bring in vendors that only take cash,, go figure.

Some advice, rent the cabana for a day, it's worth it! Beware of the sunset dinner, bugs will eat your husband alive, and the bug spray doesn't help!

And you can't catch one of the lizards, they're too quick!

Room Tip: check the map carefully, the Caribbean village and Honeymoon estate butler village are a long walk f...
2 Thank 917jill

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,258)
Moncton, Canada
Reviewed 18 May 2014

This was An amazing vacation. Everyone was outstanding. Hats off to the beautiful Nicquette at sandals lounge and for the great resort tour. Chantal- bar only you could perfect Denis's drink, Kirk - bayside and Tokyo Joes you were great, and Camille ( number 1) on the beach bar. If u can take the scuba certification so worth it and you can get closer to the fish than snorkeling. The dive shop - Misheal, Rochelle, Stewy, Terminator, Termi, Flip, and Winston had the best time with all of u. Donavan "Big D" tks for the scuba training above and beyond mon.. Will see u next year proud to be your new dive groupies.! Ps will bring son Jesus lol. Johnny B you rock, the private boat tour.... The best and so worth it. Impressive snorkel dive to recover a lost newly weds ring!!!! Food was so impressive highest quality hats off to all the chefs and those who help and serve it your doing an outstanding job and appreciated it. Javed at Cricketeers pint, fish and chips a must have. The ladies who cleaned our room, wow you work so hard tks for the heart shape towel on the bed, beautiful. The in room fridge thanks for going above and beyond for cranberry juice and tonic water. The gym - sauna, steam room, and state of the art equipment. Love that secluded jacuzzi, shhhh it's a secret. The beach was gorgeous, soft sand, warm water, lots of lounge chairs. Since I tend to burn lots of shaded areas. I can see why Sandals Montego Bay has the most return guests (I've become one now), keep up the outstanding work and will see u all next year.

Room Tip: They are all beautiful rooms!!! There is a room style for every type of couple, and I recommend you...
Warren, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Sandals Montego Bay was the absolute perfect mix of romance, relaxation, fun, laughter, and adventure. I planned this trip as a college graduation gift for my boyfriend, and although I think we were the only non married couple there, it was the perfect vacation.
The luxury of Sandals began right at the airport in the Sandals lounge where you could relax and get a yummy cocktail, or a red stripe of course. Our shuttle arrived very quickly and our luggage porter was very friendly. The shuttle ride was only about 10 minutes, and as soon as we stepped off the shuttle we were greeted with welcoming smiles and a cold towel.
Big Al helped us with check in process and took us into a beautiful lounge, and got us both a cocktail, I believe it was a rum punch, but it was the tastiest cocktail I had the whole trip! (I wish I could have tracked him down later to find out what it was!) He had a fantastic personality, and he also upgraded our room for us. After the check in process, Orville took us on a tour of the property and showed us our room which was in the Sea Grapes building. Orville was also full of personality and made us feel very welcome. Orville also delivered my luggage later when it arrived at the resort (someone had mistakenly taken my luggage at the airport)
Our room was on the second floor, and it had a gorgeous view of the ocean from our balcony.The bed was incredibly comfortable, and we also had a fridge stocked with juices, water, and sodas. The housekeeping staff kept the room incredibly clean, and restocked our fridge every day.
We arrived on a Monday, and that evening they had a beach party, which was one of the most fun experiences of my life!! There was great food, entertainment, and lots of laughs! The Playmakers at Sandals do a fantastic job of entertaining the guests and getting them involved in the party.
The restaurants at the resort are all wonderful, and it was great to get to try many new foods. Dinner at the Oleander Room was great, and our server, Junior, did an impeccable job.
During our stay we did snorkeling, and my boyfriend also did the scuba diving both of which were included and a great time!
We also booked a tour through Island Routes, we went to Mystic Mountain and did the zip lining, and bobsled, and also to Dunn's River Falls. It was a great time, and our tour guide, Patrice, or Momma as she asked to be called, was wonderful, she was very informative and honest with us.
Our trip was far beyond our expectations and we hope to return soon. I highly recommend staying at Sandals Montego Bay, the staff will make your experience memorable, and you will have the perfect blend of romance and adventure to keep your relationship spark glowing bright. You will not be able to get enough of this resort, so I recommend booking for a longer trip!

Room Tip: A room with a balcony gives you a nice place to drink your morning coffee, or to relax before going...
2 Thank ejltravels
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 15 May 2014

The staff at this resort is the best we've ever encountered; let me be specific...the maids are the best...the front desk personnel are present but just never seem to get any requests fulfilled.
The maids do an excellent job...are friendly and personable and honest and efficient. Our room was always clean with extra touches tossed in by the maid.
Oleander restaurant is GREAT and a bonus of having "white glove" service AND no reservations required. The food there is excellent....didn't care much for the other restaurants and when they had a beach party and cooking outside the birds were picking food off of the buffet tables...not very hygenic at all.
The pool (with the swim up bar) is too small to accomodate more than a handful of people and the bigger pool near the restaurants is too crowded to have any fun in...and you can never get a chair unless you get up at 5 am to reserve one and even then someone will "steal" it unless you sit on it permanently...who wants to do that?
The beach is terrible and dangerous....there is sea grass on the bottom and it attracts sea urchins....step on one and you are in pain for weeks to come.
They have a staff member go out in the morning and snorkle over the sea bottom but he does a poor job and it's only once a day that I could see....so I took it upon myself to snorkle over the area and toss any sea urchins out past the roped off swimming area so that no one would get injured....the one day that I didn't do it some woman got hurt.
I would never pay the premium price to go back to this resort, instead we went to the Palladium in Lucea and had a better time....it's too bad because the staff is so great and Oleander's is so good...I"ll miss them.
One last thing....the shopping on this resort is next to 'nil...overpriced and lack of choice and the gift shop personnel could use a lesson in customer relations...they really have a bad attitude...I mean, if you don't like your job...move on and get another that's NOT in the service industry.
So, in summary, The pools are too small, The swimming area in the ocean is less than desirable, The food is mostly average, except for Oleander's, The grounds are kept perfectly, the maids are the best in the industry, our room was exceptional but then again we had a little bungalow near the tennis courts and not located in the big buildings...oh, and the coffee was terrible...day in and day out the coffee was really bad....it sat heating in those big urns all day long.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank darnhardworker
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Montego Bay, responded to this review, 18 May 2014
We appreciate you taking the time to post about your stay at Sandals Montego Bay.

We regret to hear that we did not meet quite your expectations for service and quality. We are grateful for all feedback, as it allows us the opportunity to identify our strengths and weaknesses. Therefore, your comments have been passed on to the General Manager for immediate evaluation and action as needed. We want to ensure that we are presenting our guests with the best vacation package and we are always willing to make the necessary improvements. We do hope that you give us a chance to redeem ourselves during a future stay. We would love the chance to host you at one of our resorts and offer the true Sandals luxury experience for which we are known.
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

Me and my wife went to Sandals Montego Bay from April 30th - May 9th. We went with extremely high expectations, to say the least. Upon arrival we are used to getting the run around on our room. However we were shocked to have an immediate shuttle from the airport to the hotel. Once we arrived we were escorted the the arrival lounge. Within 10 minutes we were off to our room. Furthermore it was the right room type in the sea grapes building. The room was very nice and all that had been promised upfront was actually taking place. We have been on numerous all inclusive vacations and this was the first time we didn't have to scream and fight to get what we paid for. After checking in we ventured out to take a look at the property. All I can say is it is simply amazing. The grounds are spectacular, the beach is pristine, and all though the property is older it was picture perfect for us!

Food: the breakfast was great. The egg chef will do it your way and they are great.
The lunch was equally as awesome with more options than you know what to do with. Dinner was good for an all inclusive brand.

So overall I will give it 4.5 stars

Service/staff
This section I could spend hours on. They were the kindess, most thoughtful group of people I have ever had the chance to vacation with. Every one knows your name, knows your drinks, and goes out of there way to make you feel comfortable. There were a handful of people that I now consider life long friends. First off Jasino, who we ate breakfast with as often as possible. He was a warm smile in the mornings and an awesome entertainer at night. Donald the bar tender had a drink ready for us every time as we approached the bar. Schellene, took us under her care and made sure we were having fun at all times. Tevin, from the pool bar who kept us laughing and happy. Scion and his talents for entertaining and art. Cornell who made us the most delicious cocktails till the middle of the night. Cadian who worked at the Bayside buffet was a jewel. Finally Heather who is new to the entertainment staff was just great. As I said earlier I could go on and on. We did not meet one staff member who wasn't extremely pleasant during our stay.

So overall service: 5+ stars

Grounds: 5 stars

Entertainment: 5 stars

In closing as we left the property both me and wife had to fight back the tears. The feeling was similar to leaving a family member. Upon leaving we were looking for our special friends to say goodbye to but could not find Jasino and Heather. Turns out they were on break so we figured that we missed them. As we walked towards the front desk Jasino and Heather were waiting for us to say good bye. I was touched with the amount of care these folks take. I am actually touched now just thinking about it. Sandals was more than a vacation it was an experience!!!!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank CJCaldwell
Oshawa, Canada
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I was just at this resort for a wedding last week. The resort is beautiful and the service was amazing. All the employees there are incredibly sweet and helpful. Special shout out to Hartlon, Michael, Flip and Scion who were all super awesome and made the trip extra fun. They all went the extra mile to make sure we were having a great time. Not a dull moment passed by! THANK YOU! :)

Room Tip: We stayed in one of the "cheaper" rooms and it was still so nice! I don't think you h...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Sandals Montego Bay was so perfect. The beach was very clean and was full with activities all day. The best part of the trip was the staff. The bartenders Dane, RonRoy, and Kenneth was awesome. I felt like I have known them for years, they was very polite and helpful my entire stay. The Cricketers Pub was my favorite dining option. Menka and his staff went over and beyond to ensure that my wife and I was very happy. I will definitely come back to Sandals Montego Bay next May again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Montego Bay
Half Moon
Half Moon
#3 of 63 in Montego Bay
Sandals Ochi Beach Resort

Been to Sandals Montego Bay? Share your experiences!