“Great place to visit ONCE”

Sandals Montego Bay
Ranked #8 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
“Great place to visit ONCE”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

The place is nice. But for the money your spending I'm sure there is way better. Everything on the resort is stupid expensive. Pictures cost $400 for 100 pics. And everything they sell at the gift shop is double what you would pay at the duty free shop. So in a nut shell I'm definitely finding a better resort for my next trip

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank thovey91b

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,274)
toronto
Reviewed 29 May 2014

So by doing our homework we knew to expect two things and not to complain about them upon arrival: 1. planes fly overhead a couple of times a day. Really no big deal. Last for 10 seconds. If I didnt know I may have been annoyed but I knew and decided that a 5 minutes trip to the airport great value (for a sandals)and a great beach mattered more 2. The resort is the original so it was "dated". I didnt think anything was dated while I was there- all well maintained and the rooms just traditional in style. When I visited the Royal Caribean I did notice that those facilities were newer but that location had such an itty bity beach in comparision-so less privacy. Food was very good and offered a good variety (we liked the Italian restaurant and I totally had higher expectations for Tokyo Joes considering how many people raved about it so would say that was my least favorite. Room choice is key here- I would have hated being anywhere near the restaurants or in the mutli-story building- too loud! Our room was in the 1900's and it was perfect- near the hot tub and pool with swim up bar, and a much more secluded beach. Our room had butler service- Carleen was the sweetest and made the extra cost worth every penny - best reservation times and tables as well as yummy treats and drinks to the beach (and even ran a bath for us). best part: reserved chairs at the beach daily- always prime location away from large groups as we requested. Only downfall was the spa- although both my massage treatments were great - they pretty much harrassed me to purchase products, charged me additional service fees on top of the 125.00 I spent on booking the massage before I arrived (which stated all fees and taxes were charged at that time) and they didnt honour the voucher we had that clearly said "couples massage" and although we had proof and followed up twice before we got there we still ended up only getting a 185.00 credit, leading us to pay another 65.00. It was annoying and I didnt feel like arguing any further so just paid it. Lastly, lots of weddings, and wedding parties which may or may not be a good thing... Overall Sandals met my expectations. Reliable service and quality - they promised and they delivered so we will consider this brand for our next all inclusive.

Room Tip: Do your homework- look at the map- avoid rooms behind tokyo joes and on the first floor of the 500...
1 Thank cantstoptravelling28
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Montego Bay, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
Thank you for posting about your stay at Sandals Montego Bay.
We're happy to read that your stay, overall, was very enjoyable. We always strive to offer amazing vacation experiences and anything less than perfect calls for improvement on our part. It seems we did not meet your expectations in a few areas of our service. We want to ensure that our future guests do not share the same experience. Therefore, your feedback will be sent to our General Manager for immediate evaluation and action as needed.
We hope that you will afford us a chance to make things right during a future stay with us.
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I am late on getting this review done but I still remember the Sandals Montego Bay fondly.
Transfer time from airport is great - about 5 minutes and it is direct transfer. Very pleasant driver here and everyone greets you with a smile.

Check in was excellent – you do not have to worry about your luggage as they do all the transferring and it will be delivered to your room. Myself and travel companions were all in butler category rooms so upon arrival we were taken to the butlers lounge where we awaited the arrival of our butlers with drinks. It was about a 15 minute wait in the lounge, which is lovely, and a 5 minute walk to my room #956. In room check-in was 5 minutes, butler (I can’t remember her name, but she was amazing) asked if she could unpack for us, set places at the beach, and walk us to dinner.

The room was lovely, a terrace facing the ocean with table and chairs lead into a large room with 4 poster king size bed, places to sit, work desk, iPod dock etc. There was a large fridge with beers, pop, water, and juices. There was also rye, gin and vodka. I immediately called my butler back with the request of Appleton Rum, which she delivered in 5 seconds. The room also contained chilled white wine on arrival. There was a large French door into the bathroom, which was as big as the bedroom. There was a huge tub, large enough for 2. And a shower you could have had a party in. There were 2 sinks and another door into a small room with the toilet. A lot of privacy and great for couples.
We would love to stay in this room again as it was 20 feet from the ocean on a private area of beach and right next to the piano bar, which is fun.

Food was excellent. A small group of us ate at the pub the first night and we had very great service, fun and food. It was a traditional pub experience and I wanted to go back every night!
All the food we had was excellent, including the room service, which we had often for breakfast and a snack. For dinner we enjoyed the surf and turf at Bayside for dinner. I would also recommend ordering room service and having it on your balcony/terrace. Your butler will set this up as much as you like.
The pizza on the beach is also a win – could not have enough!

Drinks were good as well - lots of choices but my favourite was just the straight up rum punch!

I was often on the beach by 7am. There were few others out at this time and it was quiet, calm, and just perfectly picturesque.
We spent some nights at the lobby bar – very lively – this is near where the entertainment happened as well, which was great.

I also went and took a visit to the spa, where I got a Mani/Pedi and wow that was excellent. It was one of the most relaxing and enjoyable experiences I have had. My nails were painted to perfection and their spa products are absolutely amazing. When I return I will go for a massage as well. So highly recommend to visit here.

We did visit around to the Sandal’s Royal Caribbean for a lot of the trip for the Private Island and nice beach. However, I would stay at Sandal’s Montego Bay again at it is smaller, quiet and relaxing. Definitely spend the extra and get a beach front room. So worth it!

Please message me if you have any questions at all!

Room Tip: Pay the extra for beachfront and request a terrace to walkout to the beach.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank anarock_travel
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of Sandals Montego Bay.
We are delighted that you enjoyed the beautiful property, delicious Discovery dining options and the hospitality of our fabulous staff. It is always a pleasure to receive such wonderful feedback and we hope to welcome you back for another wonderful vacation experience soon!
Atlanta
Reviewed 29 May 2014

With an 18 month old at home, vacations are tough to come by. But thanks to grandma, my wife and I took a quick 4 day trip to Sandals Montego Bay and had a great time. With the airport so close, we were in our room (which was ready when we arrived at 1:00 pm) in no time. It was nice to unpack our bags and be eating lunch so quickly. We've been to Sandals St. Lucia, and the 90 minute ride to the resort was brutal! If you want a quick ride from the airport, Montego Bay is the place to go. And the planes taking off during the day didn't bother us at all.

We found the staff to be extremely friendly and helpful, and had no issues in that aspect. We found the food to be good - breakfast buffet had plenty of options, and pizza or jerk chicken for lunhc was great. Dinner at Tokyo Joe's was excellent, especially with the view of the water. We never had any problems with getting a drink on time, all of the bars had plenty of bartenders.

This was our 5th trip to a Sandals resort, and would definitely recommend a vacation here. The resort was much more calm than the others, there was less of a spring break feel to it. Maybe it was because the resort is smaller, or because the clientele was older, but it was definitely more relaxing than other resorts. We'll return if we can get Grandma to babysit again!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank damnorcross
Thank you for your great review of Sandals Montego Bay.

We are truly happy that you had a fantastic time on your quick getaway to Jamaica and that you were able to unwind together. We know how important it is for our guests to get a little relaxation and our staff is great at making your that our guests have everything they need to do just that when they stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back soon for another restful vacation!
Edgewood, Maryland
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I would say this is a great resort for a quick getaway since it is so close to the airport you can be on the beach 30 minutes of getting off the plane. It has a nice beach and all the wonderful Sandals amenities. We were there for 3 nights and didn't feel the need to leave the resort is was relaxing besides the planes that are taking off. (however you block that out after the first day and it stops at night) The service was great except for the first night at the Stew Fish which was very slow, and could have used a little bit more lighting. The entertainment staff were incredible they even had my usually reserved husband coming out of his shell. Needless to say I was very happy with my first trip to Jamaica and can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: If you are getting a Club Sandals room try and request on in the Oceanfront section. We talked to on...
Ahoskie, North Carolina
Reviewed 29 May 2014

This was our first time out of the country and first time at a sandals. We were very nervous, but the staff here made sure that we were well taken care of and went out of there way to make sure we had a great time. The beach is beautiful, the food was great, the drinks were awesome, and the water sports were fantastic. Also the night entertainment in the sky dome were fun and we enjoyed it all! I love that it was all couples there. I would like to thank Hartlon for making us feel like family each time he saw us, Davion (bartender) for making lots of drinks and laughs he was so much fun to be around, Peter (Oleander waitstaff) for being an amazing waiter, he was awesome and super nice. Marvin (concierge) helped us out with everything, from making reservations to answering our silly questions, very nice and friendly and professional. Thanks to you all for making it a wonderful, relaxed experience! Definitely will go back if we get a chance!

Room Tip: We had the the beachfront walkout room and it was awesome to be able to just walk straight out to th...
1 Thank Amy R
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

I'll keep this to the point. First I'd like to recognize some of the staff members that made a great trip into one that I'll never forget.

Forgive me if I forget anyone-
Dervyn
Jasino
Remy
Stanrick

Things You Should Know-
1. If you don't make reservations IMMEDIATELY upon arrival at the "reservation only" restaurants you will not get in.
2. The showers are NOT hot, which isn't so bad in 100% humidity.
3. Get up early to reserve a beach lounger with your towel.
4. The refrigerator is not ice cold. Don't expect an ice cold drink. Just a cold drink. Again, tolerable.
5. The airport is close enough that the planes make enough noise to think you're getting bombed by Cuba every hour or two. I'm from the city so I didn't mind. (Look out old folks, and country folk)

My Experience-
Arriving at the airport there was some uncertainty. We were delayed an hour because of our flight. I wondered if someone would be there to get us, as this was our first experience. So, once through customs, we were greeted by airport staff that directed us to the Sandals Office/Lounge. They had us leave our bags and instructed us that we should tip the airport staff assisting with loading our luggage on a carrier. That was last time I touched my luggage before unpacking. After a very short wait we were shuttled to the resort along with another couple. They dropped us off and took us to a reception area. Then, then our concierge brought us to the room, which was spectacular. Don't waste your time with a standard room. Beachfront walkout club level room was the way-to-go!

The service was always on Jamaica time which is very relaxed. I didn't bring a watch for a reason though! Every one of the staff were courteous and personable. I felt at home.

There is plenty of activities during the day and a show at night to keep the party going through the night. Most people end up at the Cricketers Pint at the end of the night for dancing, food, and more free drinks. They're open until 5am. And serve food til then. There was never a dull moment. Some venture outside of the resort. Personally, I felt that there was enough action and great people to satisfy my inner party animal.

In conclusion, I didn't want to leave. I actually shed a tear because I had to leave my new friends in Jamaica. I would recommend this resort to anyone looking for an unforgettable vacation.

Thanks again Team Sandals!

Joe

(Feel free to send me a discount code so I don't have to wait another 4 years to come back!)

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall
Sandals Ochi Beach Resort
Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Sandals Montego Bay? Share your experiences!