“Color is important”

Ranked #9 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Gautier, Mississippi
“Color is important”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

My wife and I accompanied our best friends to the resort and I must say the view is breath taking, weather perfect, water warm, and excursions great; especially Dun's River Falls. However,our trip soon took a negative turn in the following areas; service, employee interaction, respect, attitude, attention to details and race. The lighter your skin complexion the better you are treated. Service was below expectation, employee interaction below par in most cases down right deplorable. Over the course of our five day/ four night trip, we soon learned that race made a difference how you were treated. Actually we where stunned that we had to track down servers to get our drinks refilled, get service at our table, and on a few occasion we had to demand that same treatment as the rest of the guess with lighter skin complexions. The attitudes of the employes toward us at times was disrespectful and I had to asked several times what was the problem because the last time I checked, we paid the same amount as the other guess. On one occasion the bartender tried his best to refuse to sever me drinks because " he was not open", but had just severed another guess of a different color. Not to harper on all the negatives without recognizing three positives events. The young lady working the pool area was great. She made sure she treated all guess equal. The young lady who maintained our room was impeccable. Fresh towels, bed turned down each night, and room remained clean and fresh. We managed to encounter one young man working the bar who actually knew how to make a drink and had a great personality. Moving on to the other negatives. Music was awful. We went to Jamaica to enjoy the Caribbean music, food and way of life. However, the music was tailored to those who love my achy breaky heart and lost on key largo. The food was strictly American focused like pizzas, burgers, and chicken wings. We actually complained and finally received some authentic Caribbean food, which was excellent. Oh I have to mention the other restaurant Tokyo Joe's, and two others, one which served Italian and the other French cuisine. Who goes to Jamaica to eat Asian, Italian and French cuisine. REALLY. I brought each issue to managements attention and was given the most insulting response " no man we treat everyone equal" No Worries. They are right when they say there are no problems in Jamaica, just situations. This situation was my last at a sandals resort.

Room Tip: Try another location
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Ashby M
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Montego Bay, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Hello Ashby,
Thank you for reaching out to us about your recent stay at Sandals Montego Bay. We are truly sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your time with us and if you felt that you were treated unfairly any point. This behavior you described does not reflect our high standards for customer service and we apologize if you felt slighted in any way. We value all of our guests without exception and we were saddened to hear that you had this experience. We are known for providing high quality vacations with top notch service and we sincerely apologize if we did not meet those expectations. I have sent your comments directly to the General Manager for immediate evaluation and action as needed. We encourage you to contact us at 1-888-SANDALS so that we may address any concerns that you have regarding your stay.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,267)
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I just got back from Sandals Montego Bay and let me say, it was fantastic. Hands down the friendliest staff. From the moment we arrived everyone was great. "Big Al" checked us in, and every time after that he asked us how we were doing and remembered our names. All of the spa staff and restaurant staff were fantastic. Robert from the Oleandor Room was wonderful to us. Also all of the guys from the water sports desk were awesome. Very helpful. I would suggested snorkeling!! Excellent time.
The "let's go native" tour is a must if you want to see more than just the resort and want to learn about the culture and some history of Jamaica. Dalton was an excellent tour guide!
I thought all the food was great. The girls in the gift shop were helpful and friendly!
There were a few things that were not perfect. The music and entertainment in the sky dome was way too loud sometimes so much you couldn't hear what they were saying. We had problems a few times with our keys and safe in our room but every time we did have a problem, someone was always very willing to help. Some people complained about the airplanes flying over head. Yes you can hear them. I didn't think it was that distracting though.
I thought everything was well organized with check ins and departures. Super easy to figure out what was going on each day and there was always someone to ask if you had a question.
Besides the few glitches I have no complaints. This resort is very laid back and I think that is why I enjoyed it so much. The staff really made the trip!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I never felt like crying on the last day of my vacation like I did saying farewell to Montego Bay. The Sandals Resort staff took care of my wife and I, as if we were personal guests in there house. Karma in the gift shop always greeted me with a smile and assisted me on picking out the perfect Jamaican shirt to wear. Robert in the Bayside restaurant always remembered us and shook my hand no matter how far he was across the dinning room. Everybody, including the guest service manager, always checked on us to ensure we were having a wonderful time. Our turndown service always was spot on and included a cute towel fold with flowers. Our personals were alway folded neat and tidy (which is great when you have been drinking all day). Vanni, the entertainment director chased us around trying to get us involved in all the games. Never a dull moment. Never a moment lacking romance. Never an unfriendly staff member. We loved the resort, the island, and the people. I promise we are coming back and recommend to anyone looking for a perfect vacation. Thank you!

Room Tip: Honeymoon suite is awesome
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Cincinnati OH
Reviewed 20 June 2014

We celebrated our 40th anniversary here last month. Our butler level suite was exactly as pictured on their website. Our butlers gave impeccable service, and the food is amazing. The drinks are top shelf and surprisingly strong! Every employee is happy to help you. It is truly paradise. We highly recommend it!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DebbieCincinnatiOH
Memphis
Reviewed 19 June 2014

My husband and I came here for our Weddingmoon. Perfect!
From the friendly staff, beautiful rooms & beaches to the wedding planner and the restaurants, everything was wonderful. Our butlers got to know us and personalized the details of our vacation to meet our needs. Room service was fast and friendly. The entertainment was fun & kept everyone involved!

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Arboyce
Carle Place, New York
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We went to Sandals with a large group. It was great for the couples and plenty to do for all. It's not perfect for the singles in our group but they seemed to have a great time also. The same group went to the DR a few years ago and the food was awful, which made me hesitant to go to another all inclusive. The food at Sandals was very good and in some cases great. The pizza at the beach was a lunch highlight, diner was excellent in all 4 restaurants we tried. A few in our group tried diner at another nearby Sandals with the same great results. The pool bar was great with a nice fire pit at night along with a piano player that kept the crowd singing. The staff was fine with a few being outstanding. The convenience of being close to the airport was worth hearing an occasional plane over head. Sandals is a true case of you get what you pay for, sure it was a more then other places but well worth it.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BobD974
Bloomington, IN
Reviewed 17 June 2014

My husband and I stayed at Sandals Montego Bay this past winter and had an awesome vacation! This was our first experience with Sandals, so we weren't sure what to expect. Our room was spacious, the view was excellent, and the location was fantastic. We aren't really the types of people to spend the entire day laying on the beach, and we were really impressed with the number of activities included in the stay! There really is something for everyone. I can't say enough about the staff too -- they were incredible nice!

The resort is directly behind the airport, as many previous reviews state, but we hardly noticed it. We took advantage of the free transportation to one of the other Sandals resorts on Montego Bay for dinner one evening, which is a great feature of Sandals in this area! We really felt like our money was well-spent at Sandals.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall
Sandals Ochi Beach Resort
Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Sandals Montego Bay? Share your experiences!